Introduction to special issue on “Trade-Offs in Female Life Histories: Integrating Evolutionary Frameworks”
Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Human Biology
Special Issue: Trade-Offs in Female Life Histories: Integrating Evolutionary Frameworks
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 417–420, July/August 2009
How to Cite
Sear, R. and Gibson, M. (2009), Introduction to special issue on “Trade-Offs in Female Life Histories: Integrating Evolutionary Frameworks”. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 21: 417–420. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.20952
- Issue online: 9 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 MAY 2009
- Manuscript Received: 27 MAR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAR 2009
- 2009. Childhood, adolescence, and longevity: a multi-level model of the evolution of reserve capacity in human life history. Am J Hum Biol 21:567–577. .
- 2009. Tradeoffs and sexual conflict over women's fertility preferences in Mpimbwe. Am J Hum Biol 21:478–487. .
- 2009. Grandparental investment: the influence of reproductive timing and family size. Am J Hum Biol 21:455–463. , , , , .
- 1998. Evolution of helping behavior in cooperatively breeding birds. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 29:141–177. .
- 2001. Reproductive ecology and human evolution. New York:Aldine Transaction. .
- 2009. Is there a trade-off between fertility and longevity? A comparative study of women from three large historical databases accounting for mortality selection. Am J Hum Biol 21:533–540. , , , , , .
- 2009. Women's fertility and mortality in late mid life: a comparison of three contemporary populations. Am J Hum Biol 21:541–547. .
- 1997. Do the changes in energy balance that occur during pregnancy predispose parous women to obesity? Nutr Res Rev 10:57–81. , .
- 1989. Hardworking Hadza grandmothers. In: StandenV, FoleyRA, editors. Comparative socioecology: the behavioral ecology of humans and other mammals. Oxford: Blackwell. p 341–366. , , .
- 1998. Grandmothering,menopause and the evolution of human life histories. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 95. USA. p 1336–1339. , , , , .
- 2000. The grandmother hypothesis and human evolution. In: CronkL, ChagnonN, IronsW, editors. Adaptation and human behavior: an anthropological perspective. New York: Aldine de Gruyter. p 237–259. , , , , .
- 2009. Mortality and fertility rates in humans and chimpanzees: how within-species variation complicates cross-species comparisons. Am J Hum Biol 21:578–586. , , .
- 1993. Life history theory and evolutionary anthropology. Evol Anthropol 2:78–88. .
- 1999. Life history traits in humans: theory and empirical studies. Annu Rev Anthropol 28:397–430. , .
- 1985. Men's time allocation to subsistence work among the Ache of Eastern Paraguay. Hum Ecol 13:29–47. , , , .
- 2009. Richer milk for sons but more milk for daughters: sex-biased investment during lactation varies with maternal life history in Rhesus macaques. Am J Hum Biol 21:512–519. .
- 2005. Cooperative breeders with an ace in the hole. In: VolandE, ChasiotisA, SchiefenhoevelW, editors. Grandmotherhood: the evolutionary significance of the second half of female life. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. p 295–317. .
- 2004. Long-term effects of reproductive history on all-cause mortality-among adults in rural Bangladesh. Stud Fam Plann 35:189–196. , , , , , .
- 2009. Reproduction and lifespan: trade-offs, overall energy budgets, intergenerational costs and costs neglected by research. Am J Hum Biol 21:524–532. .
- 1994. Cooperative breeding in mammals. Trends Ecol Evol 9:89–93. , .
- 2005. Children's help and the pace of reproduction: cooperative breeding in humans. Evol Anthropol 14:224–237. .
- 2009. Early reproductive maturity among Pumé foragers: implications of a pooled energy budget to fast life histories. Am J Hum Biol 21:430–437. , , .
- 2009. Age at first reproduction and economic change in the context of differing kinship ecologies. Am J Hum Biol 21:438–447. , .
- 2009. Kin influence on the decision to start using modern contraception: a longitudinal study from rural Gambia. Am J Hum Biol 21:472–477. , .
- 1989. Do reproductive patterns affect maternal nutritional status? An analysis of maternal depletion in Lesotho. Am J Hum Biol 1:409–419. , .
- 2006. Special issue on “The Ecology of the Male Life Course.” Soc Biol 1–4:53. , .
- 2009. Relationship between fertility and body size and shape: an empirical test of the “Covert Maternal Depletion Syndrome” hypothesis. Am J Hum Biol 21:520–523. , .
- 2009. Cultural versus reproductive success: why does economic development bring new tradeoffs? Am J Hum Biol 21:464–471. .
- 2005. Why are modern families small? Toward an evolutionary and cultural explanation for the demographic transition. Pers Soc Psychol Rev 9:360–375. , , , .
- 2005. Primate predispositions for human grandmaternal behavior. In: VolandE, ChasiotisA, SchiefenhoevelW, editors. Grandmotherhood: the evolutionary significance of the second half of female life. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press. p 21–37. .
- 2000. Separate lives, different interests: male and female reproduction in the Gambia. Bull World Health Organ 78:570–579. , , .
- 2009. Pooled energy budget and human evolution. Am J Hum Biol 21:421–429. , , , , , .
- 2007. Grandparent helpers: the adaptive significance of older, postdominant helpers in the Seychelles warbler. Evolution 61:2790–2800. , , .
- 2007. The evolution of trade-offs: where are we? JEvol Biol 20:433–447. , .
- 2009. The grandparental niche: critical caretaking among Martu Aborigines. Am J Hum Biol 21:448–454. .
- 2008. Who keeps children alive? A review of the effects of kin on child survival. Evol Hum Behav 29:1–18. , .
- 2009. Testing three evolutionary models of the demographic transition: changes in fertility and age at marriage in urban South India. Am J Hum Biol 21:501–511. .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 1991. Fertility-related changes in maternal body composition among the Au of Papua New Guinea. Am J Phys Anthropol 85:393– 405. .
- 2009. Interactions between metabolic and reproductive functions in the resumption of postpartum fecundity. Am J Hum Biol 21:559–566. , .
- 1985. Heterogeneity's ruses: some surprising effects of selection on population dynamics. Am Stat 39:176–185. .
- 2009. Modulation of reproductive effort during early pregnancy in humans. Am J Hum Biol 21:548–558. .
- 2009. Short- and long-term consequences of early parental loss in the historical population of the Krummhörn (18th and 19th century). Am J Hum Biol 21:488–500. .
- 1994. Maternal energy depletion is buffered among malnourished women in Punjab, Pakistan. J Nutr 124:2376–2385. , , , .