Cardiorespiratory fitness and physical activity in Luo, Kamba, and Maasai of rural Kenya
Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Human Biology
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 723–729, November/December 2012
How to Cite
Christensen, D.L., Faurholt-Jepsen, D., Boit, M.K., Mwaniki, D.L., Kilonzo, B., Tetens, I., Kiplamai, F.K., Cheruiyot, S.C., Friis, H., Borch-Johnsen, K., Wareham, N.J. and Brage, S. (2012), Cardiorespiratory fitness and physical activity in Luo, Kamba, and Maasai of rural Kenya. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 24: 723–729. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.22303
- Issue online: 15 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 22 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JAN 2012
- DANIDA, Cluster of International Health (University of Copenhagen)
- Steno Diabetes Center, Beckett Foundation
- Dagmar Marshall Foundation, Dr. Thorvald Madsen's Grant
- Kong Christian den Tiende's Foundation
- Brdr. Hartmann Foundation
- Medical Research Council, UK
- 2000. Rural and urban differences in diabetes prevalence in Tanzania: the role of obesity, physical inactivity and urban living. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 94: 637–644. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Urbanization, physical activity, and metabolic health in sub-Saharan Africa. Diabetes Care 34: 491–496. , , , , .
- 2011. Accuracy and validity of a combined heart rate and motion sensor for the measurement of free-living physical activity energy expenditure in adults in Cameroon. Int J Epidemiol 40: 112–120. , , , , , .
- 1970. The Masai's protection against atherosclerosis. Pathol Microbiol (Basel) 35: 198–204. , , , , , .
- 2006. Effect of combined movement and heart rate monitor placement on physical activity estimates during treadmill locomotion and free-living. Eur J Appl Physiol 96: 517–524. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Branched equation modeling of simultaneous accelerometry and heart rate monitoring improves estimate of directly measured physical activity energy expenditure. J Appl Physiol 96: 343–351. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Hierarchy of individual calibration levels for heart rate and accelerometry to measure physical activity. J Appl Physiol 103: 682–692. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Pendular energy transduction within the step in human walking. J Exp Biol 205 (Part 21): 3413–3422. , , , .
- 2011. Insulin resistance in Chileans of European and indigenous descent: evidence for an ethnicity x environment interaction. PLoS One 6: e24690. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Obesity and regional fat distribution in Kenyan populations: impact of ethnicity and urbanization. Ann Hum Biol 35: 232–249. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Prevalence of glucose intolerance and associated risk factors in rural and urban populations of different ethnic groups in Kenya. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 84: 303–310. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of different doses of physical activity on cardiorespiratory fitness among sedentary, overweight or obese postmenopausal women with elevated blood pressure: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 297: 2081–2091. , , , .
- 1988. Effects of age and training status on heart rate recovery after peak exercise. Am J Physiol 254(2, Part 2): H340–H343. , , , .
- 1973. Relationship of maximum aerobic power output to productivity and absenteeism of East African sugar cane workers. Br J Ind Med 30: 146–154. .
- 1973. Maximum aerobic power and body composition in healthy East African older male and female subjects. Am J Phys Anthropol 39: 395–401. , .
- 1969. Maximal muscular power (aerobic and anaerobic) in African Natives. Ergonomics 12: 51–59. , .
- 1968. Maximal oxygen uptake of the Easter Island population. J Appl Physiol 25: 124–129. , .
- 1997. The prevalence of insulin resistance and other cardiovascular disease risk factors in healthy elderly southwestern Nigerians. Atherosclerosis 128: 201–211. , , , , .
- 2001. Physical activity and cardiovascular risk factors in a developing population. Med Sci Sports Exerc 33: 1598–1604. , , , , , .
- 2007. Physical activity, cardiorespiratory fitness and insulin resistance: a short update. Curr Opin Lipidol 18: 47–52. .
- 2006. Physical activity, fitness and cardiovascular disease risk in adults: interactions with insulin resistance and obesity. Clin Sci (Lond) 110: 409–425. , .
- 2011. Dietary patterns, food and macronutrient intakes among adults in three ethnic groups in rural Kenya. Public Health Nutr 14: 1671–1679. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Energy-saving gait mechanics with head-supported loads. Nature 375: 52–54. , , , .
- 1996. Free-living energy expenditure assessed by two different methods in rural Gambian men. Eur J Clin Nutr 50: 284–289. , , , , .
- 1991. Physical activity and reduced occurrence of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 325: 147–152. , , , .
- 2000. Validity of accelerometry for the assessment of moderate intensity physical activity in the field. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32( 9 Suppl): S442–S449. , , , , .
- 2005. Basal metabolic rate studies in humans: measurement and development of new equations. Public Health Nutr 8: 1133–1152. .
- 1991. New predictive equations for the estimation of basal metabolic rate in tropical peoples. Eur J Clin Nutr 45: 177–185. , .
- InterAct Consortium. Validity of a short questionnaire to assess physical activity in 10 European countries. 2012. Eur J Epidemiol 27: 15–25.
- 2002. Physical inactivity is the major determinant of obesity in black women in the North West Province, South Africa: the THUSA study. Transition and health during urbanization of South Africa. Nutrition 18: 422–427. , , , .
- 1986. Energetic cost of carrying loads: have African women discovered an economic way? Nature 319: 668–669. , , , , .
- 1965. Physical fitness and immunity to heart-disease in Masai. Lancet 2: 1308–1310. , , .
- 2007. Physical activity and blood lipids in rural and urban Tanzanians. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 17: 344–348. , , , , , .
- 2010. Daily energy expenditure and cardiovascular risk in Masai, rural and urban Bantu Tanzanians. Br J Sports Med 44: 121–126. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Prevalence of diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance in rural Tanzania. Lancet 1: 871–875. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Twenty-four-hour energy expenditure and basal metabolic rate measured in a whole-body indirect calorimeter in Gambian men. Am J Clin Nutr 51: 563–570. , , , , .
- 1984. Ten years of “civilization”: fitness of Canadian Inuit. J Appl Physiol 56: 1472–1477. , .
- 1985. Predicting basal metabolic rate, new standards and review of previous work. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 39 ( Suppl 1): 5–41. .
- 1996. Energy requirements of adults: an update on basal metabolic rates (BMRs) and physical activity levels (PALs). Eur J Clin Nutr 50( Suppl 1): S11–S23. , , , .
- 1989. Energy expenditure of Gambian women during peak agricultural activity measured by the doubly labeled water method. Br J Nutr 62: 315–329. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Physical activity and its relationship with obesity, hypertension and diabetes in urban and rural Cameroon. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26: 1009–1016. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Gaussian process robust regression for noisy heart rate data. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55: 2143–2151. , , , .
- 2001. Age-predicted maximal heart rate revisited. J Am Coll Cardiol 37: 153–156. , , .
- 2001. Commentary: measuring physical activity in Sub-Saharan Africa. Int J Epidemiol 30: 1369–1370. .