Zhang Chuan and Dang Jie contributed equally to this work.
Relationship of 2D:4D finger ratio with androgen receptor CAG and GGN repeat polymorphism
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Human Biology
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 101–106, January/February 2013
How to Cite
Zhang, C., Dang, J., Pei, L., Guo, M., Zhu, H., Qu, L., Jia, F., Lu, H. and Huo, Z. (2013), Relationship of 2D:4D finger ratio with androgen receptor CAG and GGN repeat polymorphism. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 25: 101–106. doi: 10.1002/ajhb.22347
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 SEP 2012
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 31060147, 30960154
- Hapo Study Cooperative Research Group. 2012. Ethnic variation in allele distribution of the androgen receptor (AR) (CAG)n repeat. J Androl 33: 210–215. , , , , , , ,
- 2005. A study of finger lengths, semen quality and sex hormones in 360 young men from the general Danish population. Hum Reprod 20: 3109–3113. , , , , , .
- 2011. Digit ratio (2D:4D), salivary testosterone, and handedness. Laterality 16: 136–155. , , , , .
- 2008. Sex of incubation neighbours influences hatchling sexual phenotypes in an oviparous lizard. Oecologia 156: 275–280. .
- 2002. Sexual dimorphism in digit-length ratios of laboratory mice. Anat Rec 267: 231–234. , , .
- 2004. Digit ratio varies with sex, egg order and strength of mate preference in zebra finches. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 271: 239–244. , .
- 2007. 2D:4D and sexually dimorphic facial characteristics. Arch Sex Behav 36: 377–384. , , .
- 2006. Sexual dimorphism in the second-to-fourth digit length ratio in green anoles, Anolis carolinensis (Squamata: Polychrotidae), from the southeastern United States. Can J Zool 84: 1489–1494. , , , .
- 2008. Sexual dimorphism of the second-tofourth digit length ratio (2D:4D) in the strawberry poison dart frog (Oophaga pumilio) in Costa Rica. J Herpetol 42: 414–416. .
- 2009. Longer CAG repeat length in the androgen receptor gene is associated with premature ovarian failure. Hum Reprod 24: 3230–3235. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Second to fourth digit ratio: a predictor of adult penile length. Asian J Androl 13: 710–714. , , , , , .
- 2007. Visuospatial performance on an internet line judgment task and potential hormonal markers: sex, sexual orientation, and 2D:4D. Arch Sex Behav 36: 177–192. , , .
- 2005. Effect of GGC (glycine) repeat length polymorphism in the human androgen receptor on androgen action. Prostate 62: 133–139. , , , , .
- 2005. Second to fourth digit ratio and face shape. Proc R Soc Biol Sci 7: 1995–2001. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Second to fourth digit ratio, body mass index, waist-to-hip ratio, and waist-to-chest ratio: their relationships in heterosexual men and women. Annu Hum Biol 30: 728–738. , , .
- 2012. Relationship of 2D:4D finger ratio with muscle strength, testosterone, and androgen receptor CAG repeat genotype. Am J Phys Anthropol 148: 81–87. , , , , .
- 2010. A polymorphism in the oestrogen receptor gene explains covariance between digit ratio and mating behaviour. Proc R Soc Biol Sci 277: 3353–3361. , , .
- 2011. Androgen receptor gene polymorphisms lean mass and performance in young men. Br J Sports Med 45: 95–100. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The androgen receptor CAG repeat polymorphism and X-chromosome inactivation in Australian Caucasian women with infertility related to polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: 161–165. , , .
- 2000. Neonatal endocrinology of abnormal male sexual differentiation: molecular aspects. Horm Res 53: 38–41. .
- 2007. Second to fourth digit length ratio (2D:4D) and adult sex hormone levels: new data and a meta-analytic review. Psychoneuroendocrinology 32: 313–321. , , , .
- 2006. Digit ratio (2D:4D) and physical fitness in males and females: evidence for effects of prenatal androgens on sexually selected traits. Horm Behav 49: 545–549. , , .
- 2010. Meta-analysis of digit ratio 2D:4D shows greater sex difference in the right hand. Am J Hum Biol 22: 619–630. , .
- 2011. Aggression, digit ratio and variation in androgen receptor and monoamine oxidase A genes in men. Behav Genet 41: 543–556. , , .
- 2012. Is CAG sequence length in the androgen receptor gene correlated with finger-length ratio? Pers Individ Differ 52: 224–227. , , .
- 2007. Androgen receptor function in folliculogenesis and its clinical implication in premature ovarian failure. Trends Endocrinol Metabol 18: 183–189. , , , , , , .
- 2011. 2D:4D ratios in the first 2 years of life: stability and relation to testosterone exposure and sensitivity. Horm Behav 60: 256–263. , , , , .
- 2003. Endocrine mechanisms of disease: expression and degradation of androgen receptor: mechanism and clinical implication. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 4043–4054. , .
- 2005. Sexual dimorphism in metapodial and phalanges length ratios in the wood mouse. Anat Rec A: Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 286: 955–961. , , .
- 2009. Androgen, progesterone, and FSH receptor polymorphisms in ovarian cancer risk and outcome. Endocr Relat Cancer 16: 1005–1016. , , , , .
- 2007. Functional in vitro characterisation of the androgen receptor GGN polymorphism. Mol Cell Endocrinol 264: 184–187. , , , .
- 2006. Fetal development of the hand, digits and digit ratio (2D:4D). Early Hum Dev 82: 469–475. , , , .
- 2001. The 2nd to 4th digit ratio and autism. Dev Med Child Neurol 43: 160–164. , , , .
- 2000. The ratio of 2nd to 4th digit length: a new predictor of disease predisposition? Med Hypotheses 54: 855–857. , .
- 2002. The ratio of 2nd to 4th digit length: a proxy for transactivation activity of the androgen receptor gene? Med Hypotheses 59: 334–336. , , .
- 2003. The second to fourth digit ratio and variation in the androgen receptor gene. Evol Hum Behav 24: 399–405. , , , .
- 2003. 2nd to 4th digit ratio and a universal mean for prenatal testosterone in homosexual men. Med Hypotheses 6: 303–306. , .
- 1998. The ratio of 2nd to 4th digit length: a predictor of sperm numbers and concentrations of testosterone, luteinizing hormone and oestrogen. Hum Reprod 13: 3000–3004. , , , .
- 2012. Aggression, digit ratio, and variation in the androgen receptor, serotonin transporter, and dopamine D4 receptor genes in African Foragers: The Hadza. Behav Genet 42: 647–662. , ,Vasilyev , , , , , .
- 2008. Low digit ratio (2D:4D) is associated with delayed menarche. Am J Hum Biol 20: 487–489. .
- 2006. The use of digit ratios as markers for perinatal androgen action. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 4: 10. .
- 2005. The development of sex differences in digital formula from infancy in the Fels Longitudinal Study. Proc R Soc Biol Sci 272: 1473–1479. , , , , .
- 2010. A variant in LIN28B is associated with 2D:4D finger-length ratio, a putative retrospective biomarker of prenatal testosterone exposure. Am J Hum Genet 86: 519–525. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Androgen receptor gene CAG trinucleotide repeats in anovulatory infertility and polycystic ovaries. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85: 3484–3488. , , .
- 2011. Second to fourth digit ratio (2D:4D) and concentrations of circulating sex hormones in adulthood. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 27: 9: 57. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Sex differences and the impact of steroid hormones on the developing human brain. Cereb Cortex 19: 464–473. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Sexual orientation and the 2nd to 4th finger length ratio: evidence for organizing effects of sex hormones or developmental instability? Psychoneuroendocrinology 28: 288–303. , .
- 2007. Increased egg estradiol concentration feminizes digit ratios of male pheasants (Phasianus colchicus). Naturwissenschaften 94: 207–212. , , , .
- 2009. Fingers as a marker of prenatal androgen exposure. Endocrinology 150: 5119–5124. , , , , .
- 2007. Attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms and digit ratios in a college sample. Am J Hum Biol 19: 41–50. , , , , , .
- 2009. Testosterone enhancement during pregnancy influences the 2D:4D ratio and open field motor activity of rat siblings in adulthood. Horm Behav 55: 235–239. , , .
- 2010. No correlation between androgen receptor CAG and GGN repeat length and the degree of genital virilization in females with 21-hydroxylase deficiency. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95: 2443–2450. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sexually dimorphic patterns of cortical asymmetry, and the role for sex steroid hormones in determining cortical patterns of lateralization. Psychoneuroendocrinology 23: 519–547. .
- 2012. Digit ratio predicts sense of direction in women. PLoS ONE 7: e32816. , .
- 2011. Developmental basis of sexually dimorphic digit ratios. Proc Natl Acad Sci 108: 16289–16294. , .