Disclosure statement: The author does not have any relationships, conditions, or circumstances that present a conflict of interest or a potential conflict of interest.
Building a human rights framework for workers' compensation in the United States: Opening the debate on first principles†
Article first published online: 14 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Special Issue: Re-thinking Workers' Compensation: The Human Rights Perspective
Volume 55, Issue 6, pages 506–518, June 2012
How to Cite
Hilgert, J. A. (2012), Building a human rights framework for workers' compensation in the United States: Opening the debate on first principles. Am. J. Ind. Med., 55: 506–518. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22023
- Issue published online: 8 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 14 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 JAN 2012
- AFL-CIO. 2008. Death on the job: The toll of neglect, a national and state-by-state profile of health and safety in the United States, 17th edition. Washington, D.C.: AFL-CIO.
- 2004. Employment with a human face: Balancing efficiency, equity, and voice. Ithaca: Cornell University Press. .
- CESCR. 2008. General Comment No. 19, document E/C.12/GC/19, adopted 23 November 2007. Geneva: United Nations Economic and Social Council.
- 1913. Labor and administration. New York: Macmillan. .
- 1997. Alternative Perspectives on the Purpose and Effects of Labor Standards Legislation. Government regulation of the employment relationship, 1st edition. Madison, WI: Industrial Relations Research Association. .
- 2007. International human rights, 3rd edition. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. .
- 2005. International human rights law as power/knowledge. Hum Rights Q 27: 1046– 1068. .
- 2007. The impact of OSHA recordkeeping regulation changes on occupational injury and illness trends in the US: A time-series analysis. Br Med J 64: 454– 460. , .
- Hazards Magazine. 2008. OSHA Fiddles While Workers Die. Issue No. 371. August 30.
- International Labor Organization. 1964. Convention (No. 121) concerning benefits in the case of employment injury. 602 UNTS 260.
- 1998. Workers compensation: A reference and guide. Westport, CT: Quorum Books. .
- 2006. Qualitative research: Does it fit in economics? Perecman E, Curran SR, editors. A Handbook for Social Science Field Research. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications. .
- 2006. How much work-related injury and illness is missed by the current national surveillance system? J Occup Environ Med 48: 357– 365. , , , , , .
- Special Committee on Industrial Insurance. 1911. The Report to the Wisconsin Legislature of the Special Committee on Industrial Insurance. Madison, Wisconsin: The Wisconsin State Legislature of 1909–1910.
- 2003. Dying for work: The magnitude of US mortality from selected causes of death associated with occupation. Am J Ind Med 43: 461– 482. , , , , .
- United Nations. 1948. Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Adopted at the 183rd meeting of the General Assembly in Paris, 10 December 1948.
- United Nations. 1993. Vienna Declaration on Human Rights. Adopted by the General Assembly A/CONF.157/23—12 July 1993.
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties. 1969. Concluded May 23, 1969, entered into force January 27, 1980, Art. 18. 1155 UNTS 331.
- 1897. Industrial democracy. London: Longmans Green and Company. , .