Conflicts of interest: RE has written expert technical reports for use in silicosis and compensation litigation.
A century of miners' compensation in South Africa†
Article first published online: 16 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Special Issue: Re-thinking Workers' Compensation: The Human Rights Perspective
Volume 55, Issue 6, pages 560–569, June 2012
How to Cite
Ehrlich, R. (2012), A century of miners' compensation in South Africa. Am. J. Ind. Med., 55: 560–569. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22030
- Issue published online: 8 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 16 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 FEB 2012
- 1994. Occupational diseases in mines and works amendment act, 1993. S Afr Med J 84: 132– 133. , , .
- Aids and Rights Alliance for Southern Africa. 2008. The mining sector, tuberculosis and migrant labour in Southern Africa. http://www.tac.org.za/community/files/Mines,TB_and_Southern_Africa.pdf. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- Anglogold Ashanti. 2006. Occupational safety, health case study: Worker compensation in South Africa, under review. http://www.,anglogold.,co.,za/subwebs/InformationForInvestors/ReportToSociety06/files/worker-compensation.,pdf. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- Anglogold Ashanti. 2008. Risk management, internal controls. Anglogold Ashanti annual, report 2008. http://www.anglogold.com/subwebs/informationforinvestors/reports08/annualreport08/g/risk_management.htm. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- 1997. Report of the committee of inquiry into a national health and safety council in South Africa. Pretoria: Department of Labour, Republic of South Africa. , .
- 1979. Labour legislation in South Africa 1924–1945. MA thesis. Cape Town: University of Cape Town. .
- 2008. Miners compensation. Who cares? S Afr Labour Bull 32: 26– 28. .
- Constitutional Court of South Africa (KhampepeJ). 2011. Thembekile Mankayi v Anglogold Ashanti Limited. Case CCT 40/10. ZACC 3.
- 1999. Use of miniradiographs to detect silicosis. Comparison of radiological with autopsy findings. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160: 2012– 2017. , , , , , , .
- 2000. HIV infection and silicosis: The impact of two potent risk factors on incidence of mycobacterial disease in South African miners. AIDS 14: 2759– 2768. , , , , , , .
- 1983. What is silicosis? Proc Mine Med Off Assoc SA LXII(431): 21– 24 (Johannesburg: Chamber of Mines). .
- 1994. The epidemiology of tuberculosis in gold miners with silicosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 150: 1460– 1462. .
- 1994. Sound an alarm! S Afr Med J 84: 132– 133. .
- 2011. Nationalisation needs a chance. MiningMx, 13 July. http://www.miningmx.com/opinion/columnists/Give-nationalisation-a-chance.htm. Accessed 14 October 2011. .
- 1993. A history of silicosis on the Witwatersrand gold mines, 1910–1946. D Litt Phil thesis. Johannesburg: Rand Afrikaans University (University of Johannesburg). .
- 1962. Mine ventilation officials and the quality of mine air. J Mine Ventilation Soc S Afr, December: 225– 235. .
- 2007. A century of miners' phthisis on the South African gold mines: Any end in sight? Coll Ramazzini Online J http://www.collegiumramazzini.org/crolj.asp. Accessed 14 October 2011. .
- 2012. Persistent failure of the COIDA system for compensating occupational disease in South Africa. S Afr Med J 102: 95– 97. .
- 2008. Workers' compensation in the Republic of South Africa. Johannesburg: School of Economic and Business Sciences, University of Witwatersrand. 1– 39. http://us-cdn.creamermedia.co.za/assets/articles/attachments/17662_compensationreport.pdf. Accessed 14 October 2011. , , .
- 1970. Discussion on: Du Toit RSJ., 1970. The functional relationship between the dust hazard and the rate of collecting funds to pay compensation for pneumoconiosis. J S Afr Inst Mining Metall, September: 41– 53. , et al.
- 2004. A century of migrant labour in the gold mines of South Africa. J S Afr Inst Mining Metall, March: 65– 71. , , .
- Health Systems Trust. 2010. Tuberculosis and tuberculosilicosis research. Annual report 2009/2010. Durban: Health Systems Trust. http://www.hst.org.za/uploads/files/ar0910.pdf. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- 1987. Pathological findings in mine workers: I. Description of the PATHAUT database. Am J Ind Med 12: 71– 80. , , , , , .
- High Court of South Africa (North Gauteng Division) (ZondoJ). 2011. Chamber of Mines v The Compensation Commissioner for Occupational Diseases and other Respondents (38488/08).
- 1998. Risk of pulmonary tuberculosis relative to silicosis and exposure to silica dust in South African gold miners. Occup Environ Med 55: 496– 502. , .
- 1993a. Correlation between radiological and pathological diagnosis of silicosis: An autopsy population based study. Am J Ind Med 24: 427– 445. , , , .
- 1993b. Risk of silicosis in a cohort of white South African gold miners. Am J Ind Med 24: 447– 457. , .
- International Labour Organisation (ILO). 1980. Guidelines for the use of ILO international classification of radiographs of pneumoconioses. Occupational safety and health series no. 22. Geneva: ILO.
- 1994. The white death. Silicosis on the Witwatersrand gold mines 1886–1910. Johannesburg: Witwatersrand University Press. .
- 2010. Claims experience of former gold miners with silicosis—A clinic series. Occup Health Southern Afr 16: 10– 16. , .
- The silent scourge? Silicosis, respiratory disease and gold-mining in South Africa. In: Cohen R, editor. Migration and health in Southern Africa. Cape Town: Content Solutions. 2004. pp. 39– 54. .
- 1979–1980. Socio-medical problems in the mining industry in relation to altered recruiting and employment practices. Proc Mine Medical Officers' Assoc of SA LVIII(427): 8– 13 (Johannesburg: Chamber of Mines). .
- 2009. Counting the cost: Gold mining and occupational disease in contemporary South Africa. Afr Aff 108: 221– 240. .
- 1950. Doctor and workman. Br J Ind Med 7: 105– 116. .
- 2005. Fund to compensate sick miners insolvent. Business Report, 21 February. Johannesburg: Independent Newspapers (Business Report). .
- 2002. Analysis of occupational lung disease identified at autopsy and compensated in the South African mining industry. Occup Health Southern Afr 8(3): 3– 5. , , , , .
- 2010. Three decades of slicosis: Disease trends at autopsy in South African gold miners. Environ Health Perspect 118: 421– 426. , , , .
- 1993. The invention of the “tropical worker”: Medical research and the quest for Central African labor on the South African gold mines, 1903–1936. J Afr Hist 34: 271– 292. .
- 2009. Incidence of tuberculosis and HIV and progression of silicosis and lung function impairment among former Basotho gold miners. Am J Ind Med 52: 901– 908. , , , , .
- Parliamentary Monitoring Group, South Africa. 2011. Minister and Department of Health on Compensation Commission for Occupational Diseases 2009/10 Annual Report: Hearings. http://www.pmg.org.za/report/20110308-minister-and-department-health-compensation-commission-occupational-d. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- Public Protector of South Africa. 2007/2008. Report on an investigation into allegations of undue delay by the Medical Bureau for Occupational Diseases in certification of applications for compensation for diagnosed mine related occupational diseases. Report no. 44 of 2007/8.1-15. http://www.pprotect.org/library/investigation_report/MBOD%20REPORT%20NO%2044.pdf. Accessed 14 October 2011.
- 2009. Oscillating migration and the epidemics of silicosis, tuberculosis and HIV infection in South African gold miners. Am J Ind Med 53: 398– 404. , , , .
- Republic of South Africa. 1973a. Occupational diseases in mines and works act, no. 78 of 1973. Gov Gazette 3970: 1– 112.
- Republic of South Africa. 1973b. Occupational diseases in mines and works act, no. 78 of 1973. Regulations. Gov Gazette 4042: 1– 14.
- Republic of South Africa. 1981. Report of the commission of inquiry into compensation for occupational diseases in South Africa (RP 100/1981). Pretoria: Department of Mineral and Energy Affairs.
- Republic of South Africa. 1982. Occupational diseases in mines and works act, no. 78 of 1973. amendment of regulations. Government Gazette 8482: 15– 16.
- Republic of South Africa. 1983. White Paper on the report of the Commission of Inquiry into Compensation for Occupational Diseases in South Africa (RP 100/1981). Ministers of Manpower, of Internal Affairs, of Health and Welfare and of Mineral and Energy Affairs (W.P.J-83).
- Republic of South Africa. 1990. Report of the medical bureau for occupational diseases. 1 April 1989 to 31 March 1990. Johannesburg: Medical Bureau for Occupational Diseases. pp. 1– 16.
- Republic of South Africa. 1993a. Occupational diseases in mines and works amendment act, no. 208 of 1993. Government Gazette 15449: 1– 34.
- Republic of South Africa. 1993b. Compensation for occupational injuries and diseases act, no. 130 of 1993. Government Gazette 15158: 1– 90.
- Republic of South Africa. 1995. Report of the commission of inquiry into health and safety in the mining industry. Leon RN, chairperson.Pretoria:Department of Minerals and Energy.
- Republic of South Africa. 1998. Occupational diseases in mines and works act, no. 78 of 1973. Regulations relating to the keeping of registers and records, medical examinations and the standards applicable in the certification of compensable diseases. Government Gazette 19052: 22– 26.
- Republic of South Africa. 2002. Department of minerals and energy. South African mines occupational hygiene programme. Pretoria: Directorate: Occupational Hygiene.
- Republic of South Africa. 2003. The National Occupational Health and Safety Policy (draft). www.kznhealth.gov.za/occhealth/policy2.pdf Accessed 14 October 2011.
- 2009. The hidden epidemic amongst former miners: silicosis, tuberculosis and the occupational diseases in mines and works act in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Westville: Health Systems Trust and Department of Health. http://www.hst.org.za/publications/855. Accessed 14 October 2011. .
- 1993. “ Working in the grave”: The development of a health and safety system on the Witwatersrand gold mines 1900–1939. MA thesis. Grahamstown, South Africa: Rhodes University. .
- 1997. Prevalence of occupational lung disease among Botswana men formerly employed in the South African mining industry. Occup Environ Med 54: 19– 26. , , , , , , , , , , .
- Supreme Court of Appeal of South Africa (HarmsJ). 2010. Mankayi v Anglogold Ashanti (126/2009). ZASCA 46.
- 2006. Tuberculosis and silica exposure in South African gold miners. Occup Environ Med 63: 187– 192. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The analysis of the burden of occupational lung diseases in a random sample of former gold mineworkers in the Libode district of the Eastern Cape. Ph.D. thesis. Johannesburg: University of the Witwatersrand. .
- 1998a. Prevalence of occupational lung disease in a random sample of former mineworkers, Libode District, Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Am J Ind Med 34: 305– 313. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Costs of occupational lung disease in South Africa gold mining. J Mineral Policy Business Environ Raw Mater Rep 13(2): 26– 33. , , .
- 2011. Another silicosis ruling hits miners. MiningMx, 15 May. http://www.miningmx.com/news/markets/Another-silicosis-ruling-hits-miners.htm. Accessed 14 October 2011. .
- 2010. SA mining health compensation seen as complex, overlapping. Mining Weekly, 30 July. http://www.miningweekly.com/article/sa-statutory-mining-health-compensation-seen-as-complex-in-need-of-reform-2010-07-30. Accessed 14 October 2011. .
- 1997. Dust related diseases in former miners—The ODMWA legacy. Occup Health Southern Afr 3(4): 20– 24. .
- 2004. Is the ODMW act fair? A comparison of the occupational diseases in mines and works amendment act, 1993 and the compensation of occupational injuries and diseases Act, 1993 with respect to compensation of pneumoconiosis. Centre for occupational and environmental health research (monograph). Cape Town: University of Cape Town. 2004: 1–31. http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/oehru/dox/White%20monograph%202004.doc. Accessed 14 October 2011. .
- The red ticket. Mining Survey 1986. 1/4: 48– 55. .