Ethics Committee/Institutional Review Board (“IRB”): Please include the following “IRB” information: This is not a Human Subjects Research, so no IRB was employed.
Immigrant workers and worker's compensation: The need for reform†
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Special Issue: Re-thinking Workers' Compensation: The Human Rights Perspective
Volume 55, Issue 6, pages 537–544, June 2012
How to Cite
Rebecca Smith, J.D. (2012), Immigrant workers and worker's compensation: The need for reform. Am. J. Ind. Med., 55: 537–544. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22033
- Issue published online: 8 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 FEB 2012
- ALA. CODE § 25-5-82.
- AMS Staff Leasing, Inc. v. Arreola, 976 So.2d 612 2008.
- 2000. Injury and employment patterns among hispanic construction workers. J Occup Environ Med 42: 176–186. , , .
- ARK. CODE ANN. § 11-9-111(a).
- Baburic v. Butler Bros., 233 Minn. 304, 46N.W.2d 661 1951. cited in LARSON'S WORKMEN'S COMPENSATION, 96.06.
- Barrigan v. MHMR Services for Concho Valley, 2007. WL 27732 (Tex. Ct. App. 2007).
- 2009. Broken laws, unprotected workers: Violations of employment and labor laws in America's cities. New York, NY: National Employment Law Project. http://www.nelp.org/page/-/brokenlaws/BrokenLawsReport2009.pdf?nocdn=1. (Accessed January 30, 2012). , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Voices from the margins: Immigrant workers' perceptions of health and safety in the workplace. Los Angeles, CA: University of California, Los Angeles. Institute of Industrial. Relations, Labor and Occupational Safety and Health Program. , , .
- Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services. 2010. Office of Financial Services/Financial Management Group, Collection of Medicare Health Insurance Claim Numbers (HICNs), Social Security Numbers (SSNs) and Employer Identification Numbers (EINs) (Tax Identification Numbers)—ALERT, http://www.cms.gov/MandatoryInsRep/Downloads/RevisedCollectionSSNEINs.pdf (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- 2006. Illegal Immigrants Frequently Denied Compensation. MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS, http://www.ufcw.org/ufcw_members_only/safety_and_health_facts/undocumented_workers.cfm. (Accessed January 30, 2012). .
- DEL CODE ANN. tit.19, § 2333
- Doe v. Kansas Dept. of Human Resources, 90 P3d 940 (Kan. 2004).
- Farmers Bros. Coffee v. Worker's Comp. Appeals Bd., 133 Cal.App.4th 533 (Cal.App. 2 Dist. 2005.
- Florida Div. Of Worker's Compensation v. Cagnoli, 914 So.2d 950 2005.
- Fractures in the Foundation. 2009. Washington, DC: National Council of La Raza, http://www.nclr.org/images/uploads/publications/FracturesInFoundation_FINAl.pdf (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- 2008. Ethnic disparities in traumatic occupational injury. J Occup Environ Med 50: 350–358. , .
- Gayton v. Gage Carolina Metals Inc., 560 S.E.2d 870 2002.
- 2010. Aug 19 [cited 2012 Jan 30]. Fatalities on the Job Fell in 2009. NEW YORK TIMES [INTERNET]. Sect B:3. Available from http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/business/20osha.html. .
- House Committee on Education and Labor. 2008. Hidden Tragedy: Underreporting of Workplace Injuries and Illnesses. U.S. House of Representatives, http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg42881/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg42881.pdf (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- Hoffman Plastic Compounds, Inc. v. NLRB, 535U.S. 137, 122 S. Ct. 1275, 152 L. Ed. 2d 271 2002.
- Immigrant Workers at Risk: A Qualitative Study of Hazards Faced by Latino Immigrant Construction Workers in the Triangle Area of North Carolina, 2000. North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Project.
- IOWA CODE, § 85.31(5).
- 2009. Desktop Investigator, West Bend Mutual Insurance, Correspondence to Grafton Police Department (on file with author). .
- KAN. STAT. ANN. § 44-528.
- KY.REV.STAT.ANN. § 342. 130.
- 2006. Barriers to occupational health services for low-wage workers in California. A report to the Commission on Health and Safety and Workers' Compensation, California, Department of Industrial Relations San Francisco. San Francisco, CA: University of California. , .
- 2006. A conceptual model of work and health disparities in the United States. Int J Health Serv 36: 25–50. , , , , .
- 2004. Foreign-born workers: Trends in fatal occupational injuries, 1996–2001. Monthly Labor Rev 127(6): 42–53. , .
- 2009. Evidence of organizational injustice in poultry processing plants: Possible effects on occupational health and safety among Latino workers in North Carolina. Am J Ind Med 52: 37–48. , , , , , .
- Matrix Employee Leasing v. Leopoldo Hernandez, 2008. WL 623340 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App., 2008).
- Migration Policy Institute. 2010. Migration Data Hub, Number of Foreign Born by State, http://www.migrationinformation.org/DataHub/acscensus.cfm (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- Milwaukee W. Fuel Co. v. Indus. Comm'n, 179 Wis. 223, 190N.W. 439 1922. LARSON, 96.06.
- N.C.GEN.STAT. § 97-38.
- 2009. Do Immigrants Work in Riskier Jobs? Demography 46, no.3: 535-551, http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/OrreniusZavodnypaper.pdf (Accessed January 30, 2012). , .
- OR.REV.STAT. § 656. 232.
- Ortiz v. Cement Products, Inc., 708N.W.2d 610 2005.
- 2011. Unauthorized Immigrant Population: National and State Trends, 2010. Washington, DC: Pew Hispanic Center. http://pewhispanic.org/files/reports/133.pdf (Accessed January 30, 2012). , .
- 2010. Disparities by ethnicity, language, and immigrant status in occupational health experiences among Las Vegas hotel room cleaners. Am J Ind Med 53: 960–975. , .
- 2006. Illnesses and injuries reported by Latino poultry workers in Western North Carolina. Am J Ind Med 49: 343–351. , , , , , , .
- Sanchez v. Eagle Alloy, 658N. W.2d 510 (Ct. Apps. Mich. 2003).
- S.C., CODE ANN., § 42-9-290.
- 2010. A global perspective of migration and occupational health. Am J Ind Med 53: 329–337. .
- 2005. Work-related pain and injury and barriers to worker's compensation among Las Vegas hotel room cleaners. Am J Public Health 95: 483–488. , , .
- Silva v. Martin Lumber Company, 2003. WL 22496233 (Tenn. Workers' Comp.Panel, 2003).
- 2009. ICED OUT: How immigration enforcement has interfered with workers' rights. New York: National Employment Law Project, AFL-CIO. http://www.nelp.org/page/-/Justice/ICED_OUT.pdf?nocdn=1. (Accessed January 30, 2012). , .
- Tarango v. State Indus. Ins. System, 117 Nev. 444 2001.
- The Reinforced Earth Company v. Worker's Compensation Appeal Board (Astudillo), 810 A.2d 99 (Pa.2002).
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA). 2008. Trends in International Migrant Stock: The 2008 Revision, http://esa.un.org/migration/index.asp?panel=1 (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- United States Department of Homeland Security. 2011. Memorandum from John Morton, Director, ICE, “Prosecutorial Discretion: Certain Victims, Witnesses, and Plaintiffs,” http://www.ice.gov/doclib/secure-communities/pdf/domestic-violence.pdf (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2009. Fatal occupational injuries by selected worker characteristics and selected event or exposure, Table 4, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cfoi.t04.htm (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2011. “ National Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries in 2010,” http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf. (Accessed January 30, 2012).
- United States Immigration and Naturalization Service. 1996. Questioning Persons During Labor Disputes, Operating Instruction. Published in 74 Int. Releases 199.Operating Instruction. 287.3(a), now designated as Special Agent Field Manual 33.14(h).
- 2007. Work-organizational and personal factors associated with upper-body musculoskeletal disorders among sewing machine operators. Occup Environ Med 64: 806–813. , , , , .
- WIS., STAT.,§ 102.51(2)(b).
- XYZ Cleaning Contractors, 2006. WL 1221568 (N.Y. Work. Comp.Bd. 2006).
- 2009. “ Immigrants Work in Riskier and More Dangerous Jobs in the United States,” Population Reference Bureau, http://www.prb.org/Articles/2009/usimmigrantsriskyjobs.aspx?p=1 (Accessed January 30, 2012). .