Additional disclosure: The author worked as an attorney representing ratepayers (employers) for the Maine Public Advocate Office from 1989 to 1992 in some of the insurance rate proceedings discussed in this article.
Reforming insurance to support workers' rights to compensation†
Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Special Issue: Re-thinking Workers' Compensation: The Human Rights Perspective
Volume 55, Issue 6, pages 545–559, June 2012
How to Cite
McCluskey, M. T. (2012), Reforming insurance to support workers' rights to compensation. Am. J. Ind. Med., 55: 545–559. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22034
- Issue online: 8 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 FEB 2012
- National Economic Social Rights Initiative
- Best Wire Services. 2010. Workers' Comp Rico Case Given Green Light to Continue. Jul. 8.
- 1999. Hartford offers to Settle. Business Ins.: Jan. 18: 2. .
- 1996. Texas firms settle comp dispute. Business Ins. Aug. 6: 2. .
- 1994. Workers' Compensation Year Book.
- 2009. Workers' compensation. In: Dau-Schmidt KG, Harris SD, Lobel O, editors. Labor and employment law and economics. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar. p 235– 274.
- 2009. Regulators, rivals delay 2006 AIG comp settlement. Business Ins. Nov. 2: 1. .
- Center for Insurance & Policy Research, National Association of Insurance Regulators. 2010. CIPR Special Session on Workers' Compensation (audio recording of proceedings). Mar. 26, 2010. (available at http://www.naic.org/committees_c_wctf.htm (visited Mar. 8, 2012).
- 2012. Building a Human Rights Framework For Workers' Compensation in the United States: Opening the Debate on First Principles. Am J Ind Med 55(6): 506– 518. , .
- 1998. Occupational injury and illness rates, 1992–1997: Why they fell. Monthly Labor Rev Nov. 36– 58. , .,
- 2009. California's Volatile Workers' Compensation Market: Problems and Recommendations for Change (report for the California Commission on Health and Safety and Workers' Compensation). Rand Institute for Civil Justice. , , .
- 2005. Sing it again, SAIF, denied, denied, Denied. The Oregonian. Jan. 13. .
- 2010. Workers' compensation ratemaking: A Handbook for the Pricing Actuary (draft) available from http://www.casact.org/library/wcratemaking/ (visited Aug. 31, 2010). .
- 1993. Maine regulators, insurers reach comp settlement. Business Ins. Oct. 19: 27. .
- 1995. Maine comp leads rate turnaround. Business Ins. Jan. 9: 3. .
- 2003. MEMIC: A Maine miracle: The success of the Maine workers' compensation reforms. Saco, ME: Custom Communications. , .
- 2009. Insurance regulation: The need for policy reform. In: Grace MF, Klein RW, editors. The Future of Insurance Regulation. Washington: Brookings Inst. Press. 117– 144. , .
- 1999. True security: Rethinking American social insurance. New Haven: Yale University Press. , .
- 1992. Why workers' compensation is crippled. N.Y. Times. Aug. 16: 11. .
- 1999. Insurers resist Maine WC fund growth bid. Nat'l Underwriter. Nov. 1: 4. .
- 1991. The workers' compensation crisis: How to control costs by managing the system. Contingencies. Nov./Dec.: 20. .
- Insurance NewsNet.com. 2010. Kentucky Governor, Senate Committee Want KEMI to Share Its Wealth. March 18, 2010 (available at http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.aspx?id=172912&type=newswires (visited Aug. 26, 2010)).
- 1995. Reforms take hold in residual market. Nat'l Underwriter. Jun. 19: 13. .
- 1992. A showdown on workers' compensation in Maine. N.Y. Times. Aug. 9: 36. .
- 1991. Rate suppression and its consequences: The private passenger auto and workers compensation experience. New York: Ins. Information Institute Press. .
- 1991. Workers' compensation: Strengthening the social compact. New York: Ins. Information Institute Press. , .
- 2000. State-created company thriving despite court challenge, Naysayers. Kansas City Bus J 19: 24. .
- Me. Bureau of Ins. 1990. Workers' Compensation Voluntary and Residual Market Rate Proceeding. Docket No. INS-89-2. Apr. 17.
- 1998. The illusion of efficiency in workers' compensation “reform.” Rutgers L Rev 50: 657– 941. .
- 2001. Insurer moral hazard in the workers' compensation crisis: Reforming cost inflation, not rate suppression. Empl Rights Employ Policy J 5: 55– 134. .
- 2002. Book Review. Thomason et al., Workers' Compensation: Benefits, Costs, and Safety Under Alternative Insurance Arrangements J Health Politics Policy Law 27(4): 683– 689. .
- 2003. Efficiency and social citizenship: Challenging the neoliberal attack on the welfare state. Indiana Law J 78: 783– 876. .
- National Commission on State Workmen's Compensation Laws. 1972. Report to the President and the Congress. Washington, D.C. Jul. 31.
- National Underwriter. 2009. Workers' Comp Results-Top 50 Writers ($000). Aug. 25: 21.
- NCCI. 1995. Residual Market Efforts Begin to Pay Off. 1995 Issues Report: Back from the Brink.
- New York Compensation Insurance Rating Board Annual Report. 2009. http://www.nycirb.org/2007/home/NYCIRB_2009.pdf (visited Aug. 31, 2010).
- 2007. Competitive disadvantage? Ins. Advocate. Nov. 19. .
- 2007. Funds Rife with Conflicts of Interest: From California to Rhode Island, State-Sponsored Workers' Compensation Insurers Suffer from the Brazen Misdeeds of Managerial Appointees. CBS Moneywatch.com. Nov. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BJK/is_14_18/ai_n27447800/?tag=content;col (visited Aug. 28, 2010). .
- 2000. Liberty mutual sets stage for MHC structure. National Underwriter Property & Casualty-Risk & Benefits Management. Sep. 25: 4. .
- 2010. Workers' compensation: Benefits, costs, coverage, and costs, 2008. Washington, DC: National Academy of Social Insurance. , ,
- 1993. Injured workers, workers' compensation, and work: New perspectives on the workers' compensation debate in West Virginia. West Virginia Law Rev 95: 333– 467. .
- 1994. Perpetuating risk? Workers' compensation and the persistence of occupational injuries. Houston Law Rev 31: 119– 264. .
- Task Force on Group Self-Insurance. 2010. Report to Governor Patterson and the New York State Legislature.
- 2001. Workers' compensation: Benefits, costs, and safety under alternative arrangements. Kalamazoo, MI: W.E. Upjohn Inst. for Employment Research. , , .
- Tri-Agency Report. 2010. Annual Report on the Status of the Maine Workers' Compensation System. Feb.
- 2004. State Workers' Compensation Laws in Effect on January, 1, 2004 Compared to the 19 Essential Recommendations of the National Commission on State Workmen's Compensation Laws. U.S. Department of Labor Employment Standards Administration. .
- Workers' Comp Executive. 2008. SCIF bills change things. Sept. 29.