Disclosure Statement: The authors report no conflicts of interests.
Understanding safety climate in small automobile collision repair shops
Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 78–86, January 2014
How to Cite
Parker, D. L., Brosseau, L. M., Bejan, A., Skan, M. and Xi, M. (2014), Understanding safety climate in small automobile collision repair shops. Am. J. Ind. Med., 57: 78–86. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22235
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 19 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUL 2013
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Grant Number: R01 OH009086
- 2011. Exposure assessment in auto collision repair shops. J Occup Environ Hyg 8:401–408. , , .
- 2004. Assessment of occupational safety and health programs in small businesses. Am J Ind Med 45:371–379. , , , , , .
- 2010. The influence of organizational tenure on safety climate strength: A first look. Accid Anal Prev 42:1431–1437. , , .
- 2001. Provision and perception of occupational health in small and medium-sized enterprises in Shefflield, UK. Occup Med 51:39–44. , , , .
- 2003. A survey-based system for safety management and improvement. J Safety Res 34:157–165. , .
- 2009. Effects of safety climate on safety norm violations: Exploring the mediating role of attitudinal ambivalence toward personal protective equipment. J Safety Res 40:277–283. , .
- 2011. Survey of dermal protection in Washington State collision-repair shops. J Occup Environ Hyg 8:551–560. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Assessing safety culture in offshore environments. Saf Sci 34:111–129. , .
- 1999. Modeling employee attitudes to safety: A comparison across sectors. Eur Psychol 4:1–9. , , , .
- 1995. Safety climate. J Safety Res 26:247–254. , , .
- 1999. Summary guide to safety climate tools. Available at http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/otopdf/1999/oto99063.pdf (accessed February 4, 2013). , , .
- 2004. Creating safety workplaces: Assessing the determinants and role of safety climate. J Safety Res 26:81–90. , , , , .
- 1998. Health and the social relations of work: A study of the health-related experiences of employees in small workplaces. Soc Health Illness 20:896–914. , .
- 2009. The logic of practice: An ehtnographic study of front-line service work with small businesses in Ontario's Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. Final Report. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Research Advisory Council of the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. April 9, 2009. , , , .
- 2006. Nationwide survey of occupational health activities in small-scale enterprises in Japan. Ind Health 44:150–154. , , .
- 1997. Small business owners' knowledge of their occupational health and safety (OHS) legislative responsibilities. Int J Occup Saf Ergon 3:41–57. , , .
- 1994. Information sources and their relationship to organization innovation in small businesses. J Small Business Manage 32:36–47. , , .
- 2007. Associations between self-reported working conditions and registered health and safety results. J Occup Environ Med 49:139–147. , , , .
- 1990. Human resource management in small business: Critical issues for the 1990s. J Small Business Manage 28:9–18. , .
- 2003. Human resource management in U.S. small businesses: A replication and extension. J Dev Entrepreneurship 8:73–92. , .
- 2012. Supervisor vs. employee safety perceptions and association with future injury in US limited-service restaurant workers. Accid Anal Prev 47:45–51. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Roles of participatory action-oriented programs in promoting safety and health at work. Saf Health Work 3:155–165. .
- 2005. Formal human resource management practices in small growing firms. J Small Business Manage 43:16–40. , .
- NIOSH. 2002. The Changing Organization of Work and the Safety and Health of Working People: Knowledge Gaps and Research Directions. Found at http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2002-116/pdfs/2002-116.pdf (accessed February 5, 2013).
- NIOSH. Small Business Resource Guide. Found at: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/smbus/guide/guide-1.html (accessed December 12, 2012).
- 2009. A randomized controlled intervention of machine guarding and related safety programs in small metal-fabrication businesses. Public Health Rep 124(Suppl. 1):90–100. , , , , .
- 2012. A Qualitative evaluation of owner and worker health and safety beliefs in auto collision repair shops. Am J Ind Med 55:474–482. , , .
- 2003. Mental models of safety: Do managers and employees see eye to eye? J Safety Res 34:143–156. , , .
- 1996. Workplace organizational correlates of lost-time accident rates in manufacturing. Am J Ind Med 29:258–268. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Integrating occupational safety and health information into vocational and technical education and other workforce preparation programs. Am J Public Health 95:404–411. , , , et al.
- United States Census Bureau: “Statistics of U.S. Businesses.” Available at http://www.census.gov/econ/susb/ (accessed February 3, 2012).
- 1998. Determinants of human resources practices in firms: Some evidence from Atlantic Canada. J Small Business Manage 36:13–23. .
- 2009. Characterizing the health and safety needs of the collision repair industry. J Occup Environ Hyg 6:273–282. , .