Disclosure Statement: The authors report no conflicts of interests.
Injury classification agreement in linked Bureau of Labor Statistics and Workers' Compensation data
Article first published online: 17 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. American Journal of Industrial Medicine Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
American Journal of Industrial Medicine
Volume 57, Issue 10, pages 1100–1109, October 2014
How to Cite
Wuellner, S. E. and Bonauto, D. K. (2014), Injury classification agreement in linked Bureau of Labor Statistics and Workers' Compensation data. Am. J. Ind. Med., 57: 1100–1109. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22289
- Issue published online: 15 SEP 2014
- Article first published online: 17 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 NOV 2013
- Bureau of Labor Statistics;. Grant Number: OS-20358-11-75-J-53
- 2010. Work-related amputations in Washington state, 1997–2005. Am J Indus Med 53:693–705. , , .
- 2002. Occupational injury and illness surveillance: Conceptual filters explain underreporting. Am J Public Health 92:1421–1429. , , .
- 2008. Capture–recapture estimates of nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses. Ann Epidemiol 18:500–506. , .
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists Updated. 2012. Occupational health indicators: A guide for tracking occupational health conditions and their peterminants. Accessed at http://www.cste.org/dnn/ProgramsandActivities/OccupationalHealth/OccupationalHealthIndicators/tabid/85/Default.aspx on November 28, 2012.
- 2011. Injury underreporting among small establishments in the construction industry. Am J Ind Med 54:339–349. , , , , , , .
- 2013. Occupational amputations in Illinois 2000–2007: BLS vs. data linkage of trauma registry, hospital discharge, workers compensation databases and OSHA citations. Injury 44:667–673. , , , .
- 2012. Multisource surveillance system for work-related burns. J Occup Environ Med 54:642–647. , .
- 1977. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 33:159–174. , .
- 2004. An estimate of the U.S. Government's undercount of nonfatal occupational injuries. J Occup Environ Med 46:10–18. , , .
- 2008a. Back injuries among union carpenters in Washington State, 1989–2003. Am J Ind Med 51:463–474. , , .
- 2008b. Incident and recurrent back injuries among union carpenters. Occup Environ Med 65:827–834. , , .
- 1947. Note on the sampling error of the difference between correlated proportions or percentages. Psychometrika 12:153–157. .
- 2001. Capture–recapture estimation of unreported work-related musculoskeletal disorders in Connecticut. Am J Ind Med 39:636–642. , , , , .
- 2009. Comparing workers' compensation claims with establishments' responses to the SOII. Monthly Labor Rev 132:8. , .
- 2012. Updated BLS occupational injury and illness classification system. Monthly Labor Rev 135:19–28. , , .
- 1999. Under-reporting of work-related disorders in the workplace: A case study and review of the literature. Ergonomics 42:171–182. , , , .
- 2006. How much work-related injury and illness is missed by the current national surveillance system? J Occup Environ Med 48:357–365. , , , , , .
- 2008. Examining evidence on whether BLS undercounts workplace injuries and illnesses. Monthly Labor Rev 131:13. .
- 1988. Compliance with OSHA record-keeping requirements. Am J Public Health 78:1218–1219. , , , , .
- 1998. Claims incidence of work-related disorders of the upper extremities: Washington state, 1987 through 1995. Am J Public Health 88:1827–1833. , , , .
- US Bureau of the Census. 1999. Record Linkage Software User Documentation. Accessed at http://nedinfo.nih.gov/docs/US%20Census%20Bureau%20Record%20Linkage%20SW%20User%20Documentation.pdf on August 13, 2013.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. 2007. Link Plus Accessed at. http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/ on September 28, 2012.
- US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 1992. Occupational Injury and Illness Classification Manual. Accessed at http://wwwn.cdc.gov/wisards/oiics/Doc/OIICS%20Manual%201992%20v1.pdf on August 30, 2013.
- US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2007. Occupational Injury and Illness Classification Manual. Accessed at http://www.bls.gov/iif/oiics_manual_2007.pdf on March 20, 2013.
- US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2012a. BLS Handbook of Methods, Chapter 9. Occupational Safety and Health Statistics. Accessed at http://www.bls.gov/opub/hom/pdf/homch9.pdf on March 20, 2013.
- US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2012b. Occupational Injury and Illness Classification Manual Version 2.01. Accessed at http://www.bls.gov/iif/oiics_manual_2010.pdf on March 20, 2013.
- Washington Revised Code. 1972. § 51.12.010. Accessed at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=51.12.010 on March 20, 2013.