How to Cite this Article: Trainor PA. 2010. Craniofacial birth defects: The role of neural crest cells in the etiology and pathogenesis of Treacher Collins syndrome and the potential for prevention. Am J Med Genet Part A 152A:2984–2994.
Craniofacial birth defects: The role of neural crest cells in the etiology and pathogenesis of Treacher Collins syndrome and the potential for prevention†
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A
Volume 152A, Issue 12, pages 2984–2994, December 2010
How to Cite
Trainor, P. A. (2010), Craniofacial birth defects: The role of neural crest cells in the etiology and pathogenesis of Treacher Collins syndrome and the potential for prevention. Am. J. Med. Genet., 152A: 2984–2994. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.33454
- Issue online: 23 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 20 NOV 2009
- Stowers Institute for Medical Research
- March of Dimes. Grant Number: 6FY05-82
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. Grant Number: RO1 DE 016082-01
- Hudson Foundation
- 2004. Interactions between Sox9 and beta-catenin control chondrocyte differentiation. Genes Dev 18: 1072–1087. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Psychosocial adjustment of 20 patients with Treacher Collins syndrome before and after reconstructive surgery. Br J Plast Surg 40: 605–609. , , , .
- 2007. Living with p53, dying of p53. Cell 130: 597–600. , .
- 2001. Vertebrate cranial placodes I. Embryonic induction. Dev Biol 232: 1–61. , .
- 2006. Specification of the neural crest occurs during gastrulation and requires Pax7. Nature 441: 218–222. , , .
- 2000. The transcription factor snail controls epithelial-mesenchymal transitions by repressing E-cadherin expression. Nat Cell Biol 2: 76–83. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Human Nopp140, which interacts with RNA polymerase I: Implications for rRNA gene transcription and nucleolar structural organization. Mol Cell Biol 19: 8536–8546. , , , .
- 2008. A cephalometric analysis of maxillary and mandibular parameters in Treacher Collins syndrome. Plast Reconstr Surg 121: 77e–84e. , , , , , .
- 1995. Prenatal sonographic diagnosis of Treacher Collins syndrome: A case and review of the literature. Am J Perinatol 12: 416–419. , , , , , .
- 1990. Head morphogenesis in embryonic avian chimeras: Evidence for a segmental pattern in the ectoderm corresponding to the neuromeres. Development 108: 543–558. , .
- 2002. Interactions between Hox-negative cephalic neural crest cells and the foregut endoderm in patterning the facial skeleton in the vertebrate head. Development 129: 1061–1073. , , , , .
- 2006. Neural crest stem and progenitor cells. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22: 267–286. , .
- 1983. Contributions of placodal and neural crest cells to avian cranial peripheral ganglia. Am J Anat 166: 445–468. , .
- 2005. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in mesenchymal progenitors controls osteoblast and chondrocyte differentiation during vertebrate skeletogenesis. Dev Cell 8: 739–750. , , , .
- 2002. Disruption of segmental neural crest migration and ephrin expression in delta-1 null mice. Dev Biol 249: 121–130. , , , .
- 2004. Genetic background has a major effect on the penetrance and severity of craniofacial defects in mice heterozygous for the gene encoding the nucleolar protein Treacle. Dev Dyn 229: 907–914. , .
- 1994. Treacher Collins syndrome: Correlation between clinical and genetic linkage studies. Clin Dysmorphol 3: 96–103. , , , , .
- 1997a. Identification of the complete coding sequence and genomic organization of the Treacher Collins syndrome gene. Genome Res 7: 223–234. , , , , , .
- 1997b. Sequence analysis, identification of evolutionary conserved motifs and expression analysis of murine tcof1 provide further evidence for a potential function for the gene and its human homologue, TCOF1. Hum Mol Genet 6: 727–737. , , , .
- 2000. Increased levels of apoptosis in the prefusion neural folds underlie the craniofacial disorder, Treacher Collins syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 9: 1473–1480. , , , .
- 2006. Tcof1/Treacle is required for neural crest cell formation and proliferation deficiencies that cause craniofacial abnormalities. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 13403–13408. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Treacher Collins syndrome. Orthod Craniofac Res 10: 88–95. , , .
- 2008. Treacher Collins syndrome. In: Epstein, Erickson, Wynshaw-Boris, editors. In born errors of development. New York: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 1996. Prenatal diagnosis in Treacher Collins syndrome using combined linkage analysis and ultrasound imaging. J Med Genet 33: 603–606. , , , , , .
- 1997. The mutational spectrum in Treacher Collins syndrome reveals a predominance of mutations that create a premature-termination codon. Am J Hum Genet 60: 515–524. , , .
- 2001. A new sequence motif linking lissencephaly, Treacher Collins and oral-facial-digital type 1 syndromes, microtubule dynamics and cell migration. Hum Mol Genet 10: 2813–2820. , .
- 2002. Bimodal functions of Notch-mediated signaling are involved in neural crest formation during avian ectoderm development. Development 129: 863–873. , , .
- 2000. Analysis of cranial neural crest migratory pathways in axolotl using cell markers and transplantation. Development 127: 2751–2761. , , , , .
- 2000. LIS1 regulates CNS lamination by interacting with mNudE, a central component of the centrosome. Neuron 28: 665–679. , , , , , .
- 1949. The mandibulofacial dysostosis; a new hereditary syndrome. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh) 27: 143–224. , .
- 2002. Ectodermal Wnt function as a neural crest inducer. Science 297: 848–851. , , .
- 2000. Neuregulin, a factor with many functions in the life of a schwann cell. Bioessays 22: 987–996. , , .
- 1996. Treacher Collins syndrome may result from insertions, deletions or splicing mutations, which introduce a termination codon into the gene. Hum Mol Genet 5: 1533–1538. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Defects in pathfinding by cranial neural crest cells in mice lacking the Neuregulin receptor ErbB4. Nat Cell Biol 2: 103–109. , , , .
- 2002. Cues from neuroepithelium and surface ectoderm maintain neural crest-free regions within cranial mesenchyme of the developing chick. Develoment 129: 1095–1105. , , .
- 2005. The Treacher Collins syndrome (TCOF1) gene product is involved in pre-rRNA methylation. Hum Mol Genet 14: 2035–2043. , , , , , .
- 1990. Syndromes of the head and neck. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 1999. Identification of dividing, determined sensory neuron precursors in the mammalian neural crest. Development 126: 3545–3559. , , .
- 2008. Five year follow-up of mandibular distraction osteogenesis on the dentofacial structures of syndromic children. Orthod Craniofac Res 11: 57–64. , , .
- 2002. Lineage-specific requirements of beta-catenin in neural crest development. J Cell Biol 159: 867–880. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Proteomic analysis of human Nop56p-associated pre-ribosomal ribonucleoprotein complexes. Possible link between Nop56p and the nucleolar protein treacle responsible for Treacher Collins syndrome. J Biol Chem 278: 34309–34319. , , , , , .
- 1979. Anatomical abnormalities in mandibulofacial dysostosis. Am J Med Genet 3: 225–229. , , .
- 1999. Development of cephalic neural crest cells in embryos of Lampetra japonica, with special reference to the evolution of the jaw. Dev Biol 207: 287–308. , , , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of the nucleolar gene product, treacle, in Treacher Collins syndrome. Mol Biol Cell 11: 3061–3071. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Tissue origins and interactions in the mammalian skull vaul. Dev Biol 241: 106–116. , , , , .
- 1975. Older paternal age and fresh gene muataion: Data on additional disorders. J Pediatr 86: 84–88. , , , , .
- 2008. Prevention of the neurocristopathy Treacher Collins syndrome through inhibition of p53 function. Nat Med 14: 125–133. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Membranous bone lengthening: A serial histological study. Ann Plast Surg 29: 2–7. , , , , .
- 1996. Rhombencephalic neural crest segmentation is preserved throughout craniofacial ontogeny. Development 122: 3229–3242. , .
- 2004. Comparative analysis of neural crest cell death, migration, and function during vertebrate embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 229: 14–29. , , .
- 1975. Mesenchymal derivatives of the neural crest: Analysis of chimaeric quail and chick embryos. J Embryol Exp Morphol 34: 125–154. , .
- 2004. Instructive role of Wnt/beta-catenin in sensory fate specification in neural crest stem cells. Science 303: 1020–1023. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. p53, the cellular gatekeeper for growth and division. Cell 88: 323–331. .
- 2004. Reiterated Wnt signaling during zebrafish neural crest development. Development 131: 1299–1308. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Dorsal differentiation of neural plate cells induced by BMP-mediated signals from epidermal ectoderm. Cell 82: 969–979. , , , .
- 1988. Spatial organization of the epithelium and the role of neural crest cells in the initiation of the mammalian tooth germ. Development 103: 155–169. .
- 1999. Neurogenin1 and neurogenin2 control two distinct waves of neurogenesis in developing dorsal root ganglia. Genes Dev 13: 1717–1728. , , , .
- 1998. The inductive properties of mesoderm suggest that the neural crest cells are specified by a BMP gradient. Dev Biol 198: 319–329. , , , , .
- 1995. The Treacher Collins syndrome. A clinical, radiological, and genetic linkage study on two pedigrees. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 121: 509–514. , , , , .
- 1998. Mutations in the Treacher Collins syndrome gene lead to mislocalization of the nucleolar protein treacle. Hum Mol Genet 7: 1795–1800. , , .
- 1995. Induction of the prospective neural crest of Xenopus. Development 121: 767–777. , , .
- 2003. Neural crest contributions to the lamprey head. Development 130: 2317–2327. , .
- 1994. Recurrence of Treacher Collins' syndrome with sonographic findings. Mil Med 159: 250–252. , , , .
- 2003. Neural crest induction by paraxial mesoderm in Xenopus embryos requires FGF signals. Development 130: 3111–3124. , , .
- 2005. Msx1 and Pax3 cooperate to mediate FGF8 and WNT signals during Xenopus neural crest induction. Dev Cell 8: 167–178. , , .
- 1997. The role in neural patterning of translation initiation factor eIF4AII: Induction of neural fold genes. Development 124: 2751–2760. , .
- 2003. Sox9 is required for determination of the chondrogenic cell lineage in the cranial neural crest. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 100: 9360–9365. , , , .
- 2000. Transient Notch activation initiates an irreversible switch from neurogenesis to gliogenesis by neural crest stem cells. Cell 101: 499–510. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Growth of the normal skull vault and its alteration in craniosynostosis: Insights from human genetics and experimental studies. J Anat 207: 637–653. , .
- 1990. The origins of neural crest cells in the axolotl. Dev Biol 141: 243–253. , .
- 1973. The migratory behavior of neural crest cells. Symp Oral Sens Percept 4: 9–36. .
- 1975. An analysis of migratory behavior of avian cephalic neural crest cells. Dev Biol 42: 106–130. .
- 1986. Patterning of avian craniofacial muscles. Devl Biol 116: 347–356. .
- 1991. Cell movements and control of patterned tissue assembly during craniofacial development. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol 11: 192–213. .
- 1994. The contribution of both forebrain and midbrain crest cells to the mesenchyme in the frontonasal mass of mouse embryos. Dev Biol 164: 409–419. , , , .
- 1981. The ear deformities in mandibulofacial dysostosis (Treacher Collins syndrome). Clin Otolaryngol 6: 15–28. , , .
- 1975. The pathogenesis of the Treacher Collins syndrome (mandibulofacial dysostosis). Br J Oral Surg 13: 1–26. .
- 1977. Artificial neural induction in amphibia. I. Sandwich explants. Anat Embryol (Berl) 151: 309–316. .
- 2003. Disruption of the nucleolus mediates stabilization of p53 in response to DNA damage and other stresses. EMBO J 22: 6068–6077. , .
- 2000. A LIS1/NUDEL/cytoplasmic dynein heavy chain complex in the developing and adult nervous system. Neuron 28: 681–696. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Origins of the avian neural crest: The role of neural plate-epidermal interactions. Development 121: 525–538. , .
- 1998. Effects of Shh and Noggin on neural crest formation demonstrate that BMP is required in the neural tube but not ectoderm. Development 125: 4919–4930. , , , .
- 1992. Vital dye analysis of cranial neural crest cell migration in the mouse embryo. Development 116: 297–307. , , .
- 1994. Glial growth factor restricts mammalian neural crest stem cells to a glial fate. Cell 77: 349–360. , , , , .
- 1996. Alternative neural crest cell fates are instructively promoted by TGFbeta superfamily members. Cell 85: 331–343. , , .
- 1989. Commitment of neural crest cells to the sensory neuron lineage. Science 243: 1608–1611. .
- 2000. High mutation detection rate in TCOF1 among Treacher Collins syndrome patients reveals clustering of mutations and 16 novel pathogenic changes. Hum Mutat 16: 315–322. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Long-term outcome study of bilateral mandibular distraction: A comparison of Treacher Collins and Nager syndromes to other types of micrognathia. Plast Reconstr Surg 109: 1819–1825; discussion 1826–1827. , , , , .
- 1960. Mandibulofacial dysostosis. Radiology 74: 225–231. , , .
- 1987. Mandibulofacial dysostosis (Treacher Collins syndrome): A new proposal for its pathogenesis. Am J Med Genet 27: 359–372. , , , , .
- 1988. Teratogens and craniofacial malformations: Relationships to cell death. Development 103: 213–232. , , .
- TreacherCollinsSyndromeCollaborativeGroup, 1996. Positional cloning of a gene involved in the pathogenesis of Treacher Collins syndrome. Nat Genet 12: 130–136.
- 2004. Genotyping in 46 patients with tentative diagnosis of Treacher Collins syndrome revealed unexpected phenotypic variation. Eur J Hum Genet 12: 879–890. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hox genes, neural crest cells and branchial arch patterning. Curr Opin Cell Biol 13: 698–705. , .
- 1995. Cranial paraxial mesoderm and neural crest of the mouse embryo-codistribution in the craniofacial mesenchyme but distinct segregation in the branchial arches. Development 121: 2569–2582. , .
- 1900. Case with symmetrical congenital notches in the outer part of each lower lid and defective development of the malar bones. Trans Opthalmol Soc UK 20: 90. .
- 1969. The segmentation of the primitive neural tube in chick embryos (Gallus domesticus). Adv Anat Embryol Cell Biol 41: 1–88. .
- 2003. Early differentiation and migration of cranial neural crest in the opossum, Monodelphis domextica. Evol Dev 5: 121–135. , .
- 2004. The Treacher Collins syndrome (TCOF1) gene product is involved in ribosomal DNA gene transcription by interacting with upstream binding factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 10709–10714. , , , , .
- 1999. In vivo transplantation of mammalian neural crest cells into chick hosts reveals a new autonomic sublineage restriction. Development 126: 4351–4363. , .
- 1983. Effects of retinoic acid on the development of the facial skeleton in hamsters: Early changes involving cranial neural crest cells. Acta Anat (Basel) 116: 180–192. , , .
- 1995. Complementary and combinatorial patterns of Notch gene family expression during early mouse development. Mech Dev 53: 357–368. , , .
- 1997. TCOF1 gene encodes a putative nucleolar phosphoprotein that exhibits mutations in Treacher Collins Syndrome throughout its coding region. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 3110–3115. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Transient expression of the bHLH factor neurogenin-2 marks a subpopulation of neural crest cells biased for a sensory but not a neuronal fate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 99: 8084–8089. , , , , .