The authors declare that there was no conflict of interest.
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A
Volume 161, Issue 1, pages 94–101, January 2013
How to Cite
Klaassen, P., Duijff, S., Swanenburg de Veye, H., Vorstman, J., Beemer, F. and Sinnema, G. (2013), Behavior in preschool children with the 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Am. J. Med. Genet., 161: 94–101. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.a.35685
How to Cite this Article: Klaassen P, Duijff S, Swanenburg de Veye H, Vorstman J, Beemer F, Sinnema G. 2012. Behavior in preschool children with the 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A 161A:94–101.
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 OCT 2011
- Nuts Ohra
- 2000. Manual for the ASEBA preschool forms & profiles. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Research Center for Children. Youth, & Families. , .
- 2006. ADHD, major depressive disorder, and simple phobias are prevalent psychiatric conditions in youth with velocardiofacial syndrome. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:596–603. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Autistic spectrum disorders in velo-cardio facial syndrome (22q11.2 deletion). J Autism Dev Disord 37:1776–1786. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Factors associated with the development of psychiatric illness in children with early speech/language problems. J Autism Dev Disord 17:499–510. , .
- 2005. Adolescents and young adults with 22q11 deletion syndrome: Psychopathology in an at-risk group. Br J Psychiatry 186:115–120. , .
- 2012. Is there a core neuropsychiatric phenotype in 22q11.2 deletion syndrome? Curr Opin Neurol 25:131–137. , .
- 2010. Newborn screening programs: Should 22q11 deletion syndrome be added? Genet Med 12:135–144. , , .
- 1996. Long-term consistency in speech/language profiles: II. Behavioral, emotional, and social outcomes. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 35:815–825. , , , , , .
- 2007. 22q11.2 deletion syndrome: Behaviour problems of infants and parental stress. Child Care Health Dev 33:319–324. , , .
- 2010. Dissecting the clinical heterogeneity of autism spectrum disorders through. Defined genotypes. PLoS ONE 5:e10887. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Prevalence and type of psychiatric disorder and developmental disorders in three speech and language groups. J Commun Disord 20:151–160. , .
- 2007. Behaviour problems in children with language impairment. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:1139–1147. , , .
- 2007. Developmental course of psychopathology in youths with and without intellectual disabilities. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 48:498–507. , , , .
- 2002. Emotional and behavioral problems in children and adolescents with and without intellectual disability. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 43:1087–1098. , , , .
- 2007. Intellectual abilities in a large sample of children with velo-cardio-facial syndrome: An update. J Intellect Disabil Res 51:666–670. , , , , , .
- 2012. Cognitive development in children with 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Br J Psychiatry 200:462–468. , , , , , .
- 2000. Annotation: Psychopathology in children with intellectual disability. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 41:407–417. .
- 2005. Autism spectrum disorders and symptoms in children with molecularly confirmed 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. J Autism Dev Disord 35:461–470. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cognitive and behavior profile of preschool children with chromosome 22q11.2 deletion. Am J Med Genet 85:127–133. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Taking advantage of early diagnosis: Preschool children with the 22q11.2 deletion. Genet Med 3:40–44. , , , , .
- 2007. Risk factors for the emergence of psychotic disorders in adolescents with 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Am J Psychiatry 164:663–669. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Psychiatric disorders and intellectual functioning throughout development in velocardiofacial (22q11.2 deletion) syndrome. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 48:1060–1068. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Behavioral problems in relation to intelligence in children with 22q11.2 deletion syndrome: A matched control study. Am J Med Genet Part A 143A:574–580. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Affective disorders and other psychiatric diagnoses in children and adolescents with 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. J Affect Disord 119:177–180. , , , , , .
- 2007. Comparing phenotypes in patients with idiopathic autism to patients with velocardiofacial syndrome (22q11 DS) with and without autism. Am J Med Genet Part A 143A:2642–2650. , , , , , , .
- 1983. Bayley ontwikkelingsschalen (BOS 2-30). The Netherlands: Lisse, Swets & Zeitlinger. , .
- 2002. Bayleys scales of infant development-II. Handleiding. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Harcourt. , , , .
- 1996. Groningse ontwikkelingsschalen: Handleiding (GOS 2½-4½). The Netherlands: Lisse, Swets Test Services. , , .
- 2009. The neuropsychology of 22q11 deletion syndrome. A neuropsychiatric study of 100 individuals. Res Dev Disabil 30:763–773. , .
- 2001. Neuropsychiatric disorders in the 22q11 deletion syndrome. Genet Med 3:79–84. , , , .
- 2011. Delineation of behavioral phenotypes in genetic syndromes: Characteristics of autism spectrum disorder, affect and hyperactivity. J Autism Dev Disord 41:1019–1032. , , , , .
- 2004. Incidence and prevalence of the 22q11 deletion syndrome: A population-based study in Western Sweden. Arch Dis Child 89:148–151. , , .
- 2005. Presenting phenotype in 100 children with the 22q11 deletion syndrome. Eur J Pediatr 164:146–153. , , , .
- 1982. Psychological characteristics of children with cleft lip and palate: Intellectual, achievement, behavioral and personality variables. Cleft Palate J 19:249–257. , .
- 2005. Defining the clinical spectrum of deletion 22q11.2. J Pediatr 147:90–96. , .
- 1997. Spectrum of clinical features associated with interstitial chromosome 22q11 deletions: A European collaborative study. J Med Genet 34:798–804. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Sex differences in the behavior of children with the 22q11 deletion syndrome. Psychiatry Res 166:24–34. , , , , .
- 2001. Communication issues in 22q11.2 deletion syndrome: Children at risk. Genet Med 3:67–71. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. An investigation of the relationship between associated congenital malformations and the mental and psychomotor development of children with clefts. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 40:297–303. , , , , .
- 1997. Intelligence and psychosocial adjustment in velocardiofacial syndrome: A study of 37 children and adolescents with VCFS. J Med Genet 34:453–458. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The behavioural phenotype in velo-cardio-facial syndrome (VCFS): From infancy to adolescence. Genet Couns 10:79–88. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Children with a 22q11 deletion versus children with a speech-language impairment and learning disability: Behavior during primary school age. Genet Couns 12:309–317. , , , .
- 2005. Early motor development in young children with 22q.11 deletion syndrome and a conotruncal heart defect. Dev Med Child Neurol 47:797–802. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Snijders-Oomen niet-verbale intelligentietest SON 2½–7. Handleiding en verantwoording. The Netherlands: Lisse, Swets & Zeitlinger. , , , .
- 1997. Wechsler preschool and primary scale of intelligence-revised. Dutch version. The Netherlands: Lisse, Swets Test Services. , .
- 2006. MLPA: A rapid, reliable, and sensitive method for detection and analysis of abnormalities of 22q. Hum Mutat 27:814–821. , , , , , .
- 2006. The 22q11.2 deletion in children: High rate of autistic disorders and early onset of psychotic symptoms. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 45:1104–1113. , , , , , , , , .