Our children are not a diagnosis: The experience of parents who continue their pregnancy after a prenatal diagnosis of trisomy 13 or 18
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A
Volume 164, Issue 2, pages 308–318, February 2014
How to Cite
2013. Our children are not a diagnosis: The experience of parents who continue their pregnancy after a prenatal diagnosis of trisomy 13 or 18. Am J Med Genet Part A 164A:308–318., , , , .
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 JAN 2013
- Foundation Go
- American Academy of Pediatrics. 2010. Textbook of neonatal resuscitation. 5th edition. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics.
- ACOG Committee. Opinion Number 439. Aug 2009. Aug 2009. www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee Opinions/Committee on Ethics/Informed Consent.
- 1994. Natural history of trisomy 18 and trisomy 13: II. Psychomotor development. Am J Med Genet 49:189–194. , , , .
- 2013. Why were they in such a hurry to see her die? Am J Hosp Palliat Care 30:406–408. , , .
- 1992. Avoidance of emergency surgery in newborn infants with trisomy 18. Lancet 339:913–915. , , , , , .
- 1994. No resuscitation and withdrawal of therapy in neonatal and pediatric intensive care units. J Pediatr 124:995–996. , , .
- 2007. Palliative care for prenatally diagnosed lethal fetal abnormality. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 92:F56–F58. , , , , .
- 2010. Neonatal experiences of newborns with full trisomy 18. Adv Neonatal Care 10:25–31. .
- 2011. Birth history, physical characteristics, and medical conditions in long-term survivors with full trisomy 13. Am J Med Genet Part A 155A:2634–2640. .
- 2003. Perinatal hospice. Comprehensive care for the family of the fetus with a lethal condition. J Reprod Med 48:343–348. , , , , .
- 2012. Perspectives on the care and management of infants with trisomy 18 and trisomy 13: Striving for balance. Curr Opin Pediatr 24:672–678. .
- 2010. Trisomy 18 and choices. Adv Neonatal Care 10:32. .
- 2012. Ethical dimensions of fetal neurology. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 17:252–255. , .
- 2011. “ My baby is a person”: Parents' experiences with life-threatening fetal diagnosis. J Palliat Med 14:1302–1308. , .
- 2003. Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed method approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. .
- 2008. Trisomies 13 and 18: Population prevalences, characteristics, and prenatal diagnosis, metropolitan Atlanta, 1994–2003. Am J Med Genet Part A 146A:820–826. , , .
- 2006. Perinatal hospice: Family-centered care of the fetus with a lethal condition. J Am Phys Surg 11:52–55. , , , , .
- 2000. Handbook of qualitative research, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , .
- 2009. Misgivings. Hastings Cent Rep 39:19–21. .
- 2011. Choosing the road less traveled. Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care 41:11511–11516. .
- 2009. Phenotypic variability in trisomy 13 mosaicism: Two new patients and literature review. Am J Med Genet Part A 149A:1346–1358. , , .
- 2012. “ Did you find that out in time?”: New life trajectories of parents who choose to continue a pregnancy where a genetic disorder is diagnosed or likely. Am J Med Genet Part A 158A:373–383. , , , .
- 2005. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qual Health Res 15:1277–1288. , .
- 2011. Changes in fetal prevalence and outcome for trisomies 13 and 18: A population-based study over 23 years. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:137–141. , , , , .
- 2012. The experience of families with children with trisomy 13 and 18 in social networks. Pediatrics 130:293–298. , , .
- 2009. Cardiac surgery in patients with trisomy 18. Pediatr Cardiol 30:729–734. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Lethal language, lethal decisions. Hastings Cent Rep 33:37–41. , , .
- 2010. The best interest standard in treatment decisions for young children. In: Miller G, editor. Pediatric Bioethics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p 3. .
- 2011. Care of an infant with lethal malformation: Where do we draw the line? Pediatrics. 128:e1642–e1643. .
- 2011. Natural outcome of trisomy 13, trisomy 18, and triploidy after prenatal diagnosis. Am J Med Genet Part A 155A:2626–2633. , , .
- 2011. Affirming motherhood: Validation and invalidation in women's perinatal hospice narratives. Birth 38:256–265. , .
- 2004. Palliative care of the infant with lethal anomalies. Pediatr Clin North Am 51:747–759, xi, Review. .
- 2013. ACMG suggests broader non-invasive screening tests. Am J Med Genet Part A 161A:ix–x. .
- 2013. Twenty-year trends in the prevalence of Down syndrome and other trisomies in Europe: Impact of maternal age and prenatal screening. Eur J Hum Genet 21:27–33. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. The impact of cardiac surgery in patients with trisomy 18 and trisomy 13 in Japan. Am J Med Genet Part A 155A:2641–2646. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Attitudes of neonatologists toward delivery room management of confirmed trisomy 18: Potential factors influencing a changing dynamic. Pediatrics 121:1106–1110. , .
- 2012. Trisomy 13 and Trisomy 18: Treatment and management decisions. NeoReviews 13:e40–e48. , , , , , .
- 2008. The risk of fetal loss following a prenatal diagnosis of trisomy 13 or trisomy 18. Am J Med Genet Part A 146:827–832. , .
- 2010. Part 3: Ethics: 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Circulation 122:S665–S675. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Inpatient hospital care of children with trisomy 13 and trisomy 18 in the United States. Pediatrics 129:869–876. , , .
- 1992. Ethical issues in the use of life-prolonging interventions for an infant with trisomy 18. J Perinatol 12:366–368. , , .
- 2003. Trisomy 13 and trisomy 18 in a defined population: Epidemiological, genetic and prenatal observations. Prenat Diagn 23:856–860. , , , .
- 2010. Updated National Birth Prevalence estimates for selected birth defects in the United States, 2004–2006. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 88:1008–1016. , , , , , , , , , , National Birth Defects Prevention Network.
- 2003. Population-based analyses of mortality in trisomy 13 and trisomy 18. Pediatrics 111:777–784. , , , , .
- 2002. The decision to continue: The experiences and needs of parents who receive a prenatal diagnosis of holoprosencephaly. Am J Med Genet 112:369–378. , , , , .
- 2004. Marital stability and marital satisfaction in families of children with disabilities: Chicken or egg? Deve Disabil Bull 32:62–83. .
- 1968. Autosomal trisomy syndromes: A detailed study of 27 cases of Edward syndrome and 27 cases of Patau's syndrome. J Med Genet 5:227–252. .
- 2010. He was my son, not a dying baby. J Med Ethics 36:646–647. .
- Trisomy support groups online: Facebook groups: Trisomy 13; Trisomy 18: Faces of trisomy; trisomy 18 mommies; living with trisomy 13; Support Organization for Trisomy; Patau Syndrome NEWS; Online groups: support for families of babies with Trisomy 13 (Patau's syndrome); www.trisomy18support.org; www.noahsneverendingrainbow.org; www.benotafraid.net; www.trisomy.org; www.leona-ev.de (Europe); www.soft.org.uk; www.trisomyonline.org; www.softireland.com/; www.hopefortrisomy13and18.org; www.prenatalpartnersforlife.org; livingwithtrisomy13.org.
- 2012. Better prognosis in newborns with trisomy 13 who received intensive treatments: A retrospective study of 16 patients. Cell Biochem Biophys 63:191–198. , , , .
- 2007. Pheontypic spectrum of mosiac trisomy 18: Two new patients, a literature review, and counselling issues. Am J Med Genet Part A 143A:505–517. , , .
- 1990. Clinical management considerations in long-term survivors Trisomy 18. Pediatrics 85:753–759. , .
- 2010. Survival of Texas infants born with trisomies 21, 18 and 13. Am J Med Genet Part A 152A:360–366. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The health-care experiences of families given the prenatal diagnosis of trisomy 18. J Perinatol 28:12–19. , , .
- 2011. Systematic review of the literature: parental outcomes after diagnosis of fetal anomaly. Adv Neonatal Care 11:182–192. .