Conflict of interest: Dr. Barnett is an employee of Cambridge Cognition Ltd and a co-inventor on patent PCT/GB2005/003279 (methods for assessing psychotic disorders) with Dr. Jones. Dr. Jones has also received research grant support from GlaxoSmithKline and has received a speaker's honorarium from Eli Lilly. Dr. Heron, Dr. Goldman, and Dr. Xu report no competing interests.
Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2010
Copyright © 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics
Volume 156, Issue 2, pages 158–167, March 2011
How to Cite
Barnett, J. H., Xu, K., Heron, J., Goldman, D. and Jones, P. B. (2011), Cognitive effects of genetic variation in monoamine neurotransmitter systems: A population-based study of COMT, MAOA, and 5HTTLPR. Am. J. Med. Genet., 156: 158–167. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.b.31150
How to Cite this Article: Barnett JH, Xu K, Heron J, Goldman D, Jones PB. 2011. Cognitive Effects of Genetic Variation in Monoamine Neurotransmitter Systems: A Population-Based Study of COMT, MAOA, and 5HTTLPR. Am J Med Genet Part B 156:158–167.
- Issue online: 8 FEB 2011
- Version of Record online: 16 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 OCT 2010
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUL 2010
- Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: 074296/Z/04/Z
- NIHR CLAHRC for Cambridgeshire & Peterborough.
- 2009. Effects of stressful life events, maternal depression and 5-HTTLPR genotype on emotional symptoms in pre-adolescent children. Am J Med Genet Part B 150B:670–682. , , , , , , et al.
- 1985. Alpha 2-adrenergic mechanisms in prefrontal cortex associated with cognitive decline in aged nonhuman primates. Science 230:1273–1276. , .
- 2002. Investigation of the functional effect of monoamine oxidase polymorphisms in human brain. Hum Genet 110:1–7. , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of catechol-O-methyltransferase on normal variation in the cognitive function of children. Am J Psychiatry 166:909–916. , , , , .
- 2007. Gender-specific effects of the catechol-O-methyltransferase Val108/158Met polymorphism on cognitive function in children. Am J Psychiatry 164:142–149. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Meta-analysis of the cognitive effects of the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene Val158/108Met polymorphism. Biol Psychiatry 64:137–144. , , .
- 2007. Serotonin transporter genetic variation and biased attention for emotional word stimuli among psychiatric inpatients. J Abnorm Psychol 116:208–212. , , , .
- 2009. Serotonin transporter genotype is associated with cognitive performance but not regional 5-HT1A receptor binding in humans. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 12:783–792. , , , , , , et al.
- 1979. Cognitive deficit caused by regional depletion of dopamine in prefrontal cortex of rhesus monkey. Science 205:929–932. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of medetomidine, an alpha-2 adrenoceptor agonist, and atipamezole, an alpha-2 antagonist, on spatial memory performance in adult and aged rats. Behav Neural Biol 58:113–119. , , , , .
- 1982. Operational efficiency and the growth of short-term-memory span. J Exp Child Psychol 33:386–404. , , .
- 2006. Neurochemical modulation of response inhibition and probabilistic learning in humans. Science 311:861–863. , , , , , .
- 2004. Functional analysis of genetic variation in catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT): Effects on mRNA, protein, and enzyme activity in postmortem human brain. Am J Hum Genet 75:807–821. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Stop signal response inhibition is not modulated by tryptophan depletion or the serotonin transporter polymorphism in healthy volunteers: Implications for the 5-HT theory of impulsivity. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 182:570–578. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cognitive inflexibility after prefrontal serotonin depletion. Science 304:878–880. , , , , .
- 2001. Epidemiological methods for studying genes and environmental factors in complex diseases. Lancet 358:1356–1360. , .
- 2003. Association of autism severity with a monoamine oxidase A functional polymorphism. Clin Genet 64:190–197. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Genetic contributions of the serotonin transporter to social learning of fear and economic decision making. Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 4(4): 399–408. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Decision-making impairment is related to serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism in a sample of patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Behav Brain Res 195:159–163. , , , , , .
- 1999. Excess of high activity monoamine oxidase A gene promoter alleles in female patients with panic disorder. Hum Mol Genet 8:621–624. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. The heritability of IQ. Nature 388:468–471. , , .
- 2000. A neural basis for general intelligence. Science 289:457–460. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Effect of COMT Val108/158 Met genotype on frontal lobe function and risk for schizophrenia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98:6917–6922. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism influences topography of inhibitory motor control. Int J Neuropsychopharmcol 2:115–120. , , , , .
- 2007. Fine mapping reveals sex bias in quantitative trait loci affecting growth, skeletal size and obesity-related traits on mouse chromosomes 2 and 11. Genetics 175:349–360. , .
- 1988. Clonidine improves memory function in schizophrenia independently from change in psychosis. Preliminary findings. Schizophr Res 1:417–423. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Differential effects of 5-HTTLPR genotypes on mood, memory, and attention bias following acute tryptophan depletion and stress exposure. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 203:805–818. , .
- 2009. Looking on the bright side: Biased attention and the human serotonin transporter gene. Proc Biol Sci 276:1747–1751. , , .
- 2007. Widespread monoallelic expression on human autosomes. Science 318:1136–1140. , , , .
- 1998. Catechol-O-methyltransferase-deficient mice exhibit sexually dimorphic changes in catecholamine levels and behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95:9991–9996. , , , , , , .
- 2001. ALSPAC—The Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. I. Study methodology. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 15:74–87. , , .
- 1975. Effects of monoamine oxidase inhibition by clorgyline, deprenil or tranylcypromine on 5-hydroxytryptamine concentrations in rat brain and hyperactivity following subsequent tryptophan administration. Br J Pharmacol 55:415–422. , .
- 1990. Tissue distribution of human monoamine oxidase A and B mRNA. J Neurochem 55:1166–1169. , , , , .
- 2008. Catechol-O-Methyltransferase (COMT): A gene contributing to sex differences in brain function, and to sexual dimorphism in the predisposition to psychiatric disorders. Neuropsychopharmacology 33(13): 3037–3045. , .
- 1996. Allelic variation of human serotonin transporter gene expression. J Neurochem 66:2621–2624. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Serotonin transporter dosage modulates long-term decision-making in rat and human. Neuropharmacology 55:80–84. , , , , .
- 2006. Serotonin transporter promoter gain-of-function genotypes are linked to obsessive-compulsive disorder. Am J Hum Genet 78:815–826. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Guanfacine, but not clonidine, improves planning and working memory performance in humans. Neuropsychopharmacology 20:460–470. , , , , , ,
- 2000. A new human genetic resource: A DNA bank established as part of the Avon longitudinal study of pregnancy and childhood (ALSPAC). Eur J Hum Genet 8:653–660. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. 3-Methoxytyramine is the major metabolite of released dopamine in the rat frontal cortex: Reassessment of the effects of antipsychotics on the dynamics of dopamine release and metabolism in the frontal cortex, nucleus accumbens, and striatum by a simple two pool model. J Neurochem 63:972–979. , , .
- 2005. Sequence analysis of the serotonin transporter and associations with antidepressant response. Biol Psychiatry 58:374–381. , , , .
- 1996. Human catechol-O-methyltransferase pharmacogenetics: Description of a functional polymorphism and its potential application to neuropsychiatric disorders. Pharmacogenetics 6:243–250. , , , , , .
- 1996. Association of anxiety-related traits with a polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene regulatory region. Science 274:1527–1531. , , , , , , et al.
- 1982. Immunocytochemical demonstration of monoamine oxidase B in brain astrocytes and serotonergic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 79:6385–6389. , , .
- 2001. Dopamine transporter immunoreactivity in monkey cerebral cortex: Regional, laminar, and ultrastructural localization. J Comp Neurol 432:119–136. , , , , , .
- 1986. Cognitive enhancement in Korsakoff's psychosis by clonidine: A comparison with L-dopa and ephedrine. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 88:374–380. , .
- 2001. The differential assessment of children's attention: The Test of Everyday Attention for Children (TEA-Ch), normative sample and ADHD performance. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 42:1065–1081. , , , , , .
- 2002. Family-based and association studies of monoamine oxidase A and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): Preferential transmission of the long promoter-region repeat and its association with impaired performance on a continuous performance test (TOVA). Mol Psychiatry 7:626–632. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Serotonin transporter distribution and density in the cerebral cortex of alcoholic and nonalcoholic comparison subjects: A whole-hemisphere autoradiography study. Am J Psychiatry 159:599–606. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Catechol O-methyltransferase (COMT) mRNA expression in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex of patients with schizophrenia. Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1521–1530. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Neural substrates of pleiotropic action of genetic variation in COMT: A meta-analysis. Mol Psychiatry 15(9): 918–927. , , .
- 2003. Ultrastructural localization of the norepinephrine transporter in superficial and deep layers of the rat prelimbic prefrontal cortex and its spatial relationship to probable dopamine terminals. J Comp Neurol 466:478–494. , , , .
- 1997. Sex-specific quantitative trait loci affecting longevity in Drosophila melanogaster. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94:9734–9739. , , , , .
- 2008. Sex-specific genetic architecture of human disease. Nat Rev Genet 9:911–922. , , .
- 1997. The functional organization of working memory processes within human lateral frontal cortex: The contribution of functional neuroimaging. Eur J Neurosci 9:1329–1339. .
- 2005. N-back working memory paradigm: A meta-analysis of normative functional neuroimaging studies. Hum Brain Mapp 25:46–59. , , , .
- 1994. Tryptophan depletion in normal volunteers produces selective impairments in learning and memory. Neuropharmacology 33:575–588. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Genetically dependent modulation of serotonergic inactivation in the human prefrontal cortex. Neuroimage 40:1264–1273. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Influence of serotonin transporter gene polymorphisms on cognitive decline and cognitive abilities in a nondemented elderly population. Mol Psychiatry 10:1133–1139. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Allelic mRNA expression of X-linked monoamine oxidase a (MAOA) in human brain: Dissection of epigenetic and genetic factors. Hum Mol Genet 15:2636–2649. , , .
- 2007. Adrenergic pharmacology and cognition: Focus on the prefrontal cortex. Pharmacol Ther 113:523–536. , .
- 2009. A genetically mediated bias in decision making driven by failure of amygdala control. J Neurosci 29:5985–5991. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The effects of acute tryptophan depletion and serotonin transporter polymorphism on emotional processing in memory and attention. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 10(4): 449–461. , , , .
- 1998. A functional polymorphism in the monoamine oxidase A gene promoter. Hum Genet 103:273–279. , , .
- 1992. Quantitative enzyme radioautography with 3H-Ro41-1049 and 3H-Ro19-6327 in vitro: Localization and abundance of MAO-A and MAO-B in rat CNS, peripheral organs, and human brain. J Neurosci 12:1977–1999. , , , .
- 2007. Genetic variation of serotonin function and cognitive control. J Cogn Neurosci 19:1923–1931. , , , , , .
- 2006. Rapid tryptophan depletion improves decision-making cognition in healthy humans without affecting reversal learning or set shifting. Neuropsychopharmacology 31:1519–1525. , , , .
- 2001. Comparing guanfacine and dextroamphetamine for the treatment of adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol 21:223–228. , .
- 2004. Catechol-o-methyltransferase inhibition improves set-shifting performance and elevates stimulated dopamine release in the rat prefrontal cortex. J Neurosci 24:5331–5335. , , , .
- 2007a. Expression of multiple catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) mRNA variants in human brain. Am J Med Genet Part B 144B(6): 834–839. , , .
- 2007b. Catechol-o-methyltransferase enzyme activity and protein expression in human prefrontal cortex across the postnatal lifespan. Cereb Cortex 17:1206–1212. , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children—Third Edition UK Manual. Sidcup, UK: The Psychological Corporation. , , .
- 2006. Simultaneous genotyping of four functional loci of human SLC6A4, with a reappraisal of 5-HTTLPR and rs25531. Mol Psychiatry 11:224–226. , , , , .
- 1988. Localization of distinct monoamine oxidase A and monoamine oxidase B cell populations in human brainstem. Neuroscience 25:439–456. , , , .
- 1988. Histochemical localisation of monoamine oxidase A and B in rat brain. J Neural Transm 74:29–42. , , .
- 2003. Influence of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) codon 158 polymorphism on estrogen levels in women. Hum Reprod 18:262–266. , , , , , .
- 1999. Characterization and implications of estrogenic down-regulation of human catechol-O-methyltransferase gene transcription. Mol Pharmacol 56:31–38. , , .
- 2007. Site-specific role of catechol-O-methyltransferase in dopamine overflow within prefrontal cortex and dorsal striatum. J Neurosci 27:10196–10209. , , , , .
- 2002. Family-based and population study of a functional promoter-region monoamine oxidase A polymorphism in autism: Possible association with IQ. Am J Med Genet 114:284–287. , , , , , .
- 2005. Association study of a functional MAOA-uVNTR gene polymorphism and cognitive function in healthy females. Neuropsychobiology 52:77–82. , , , , , .