How to Cite this Article: Sun Y, Zhang J, Yuan Y, Yu X, Shen Y, Xu Q. 2012. Study of a Possible Role of the Monoamine Oxidase A (MAOA) Gene in Paranoid Schizophrenia Among a Chinese Population. Am J Med Genet Part B 159B:104–111.
Article first published online: 7 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics
Volume 159B, Issue 1, pages 104–111, January 2012
How to Cite
Sun, Y., Zhang, J., Yuan, Y., Yu, X., Shen, Y. and Xu, Q. (2012), Study of a possible role of the monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) gene in paranoid schizophrenia among a Chinese population. Am. J. Med. Genet., 159B: 104–111. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.b.32009
Yuhui Sun and Jiexu Zhang are contributed equally to this study.
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 7 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 7 FEB 2011
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Numbers: 2010CB529603, 2012CB517902
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Numbers: 30971001, 31021091
- Beijing Natural Science Foundation. Grant Number: 7102109
- Fok Ying Tong Education Foundation. Grant Number: 121024
- 1997. The role of serotonin in the pathophysiology and treatment of schizophrenia. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 9: 1–17. , , , , .
- 2005. Haploview: Analysis and visualization of LD and haplotype maps. Bioinformatics 21: 263–265. , , , .
- 2008. Monoamine oxidase inactivation: From pathophysiology to therapeutics. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60: 1527–1533. , , .
- 2000. Twin studies of schizophrenia: From bow-and-arrow concordances to star wars Mx and functional genomics. Am J Med Genet 97: 12–17. , .
- 1999. Excess of high activity monoamine oxidase A gene promoter alleles in female patients with panic disorder. Hum Mol Genet 8: 621–624. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Likelihood-based association analysis for nuclear families and unrelated subjects with missing genotype data. Hum Hered 66: 87–98. .
- 2002. Sample size requirements for association studies of gene-gene interaction. Am J Epidemiol 155: 478–484. .
- 2008. Serotonin research: Contributions to understanding psychoses. Trends Pharmacol Sci 29: 445–453. , .
- 2008. The VNTR 2 repeat in MAOA and delinquent behavior in adolescence and young adulthood: Associations and MAOA promoter activity. Eur J Hum Genet 16: 626–634. , , , .
- 2005. Separate and interacting effects within the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) are associated with schizophrenia. Mol Psychiatry 10: 589–597. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Human monoamine oxidase A gene determines levels of enzyme activity. Am J Hum Genet 49: 383–392. , .
- 2007. Monoamine oxidase-A polymorphisms might modify the association between the dopamine D2 receptor gene and alcohol dependence. J Psychiatry Neurosci 32: 185–192. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Association of monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) polymorphisms and clinical subgroups of major depressive disorders in the Han Chinese population. World J Biol Psychiatry 10: 544–551. , , , , , .
- 1997. Localization of monoamine oxidase A and B mRNA in the rat brain by in situ hybridization. Synapse 25: 30–36. , , , , , .
- 2003. Association between a promoter variant in the monoamine oxidase A gene and schizophrenia. Schizophr Res 61: 31–37. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Association study between antipsychotic-induced restless legs syndrome and polymorphisms of monoamine oxidase genes in schizophrenia. Hum Psychopharmacol 25: 397–403. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Human monoamine oxidase A and B genes map to Xp 11.23 and are deleted in a patient with Norrie disease. Genomics 4: 552–559. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Meta-study on association between the monoamine oxidase A gene (MAOA) and schizophrenia. Am J Med Genet Part B 147B: 174–178. , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 1989. Clinical studies on the mechanism of action of clozapine: The dopamine-serotonin hypothesis of schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 99 Suppl: S18–S27. .
- 2002. Commentary on “clinical studies on the mechanism of action of clozapine; the dopamine-serotonin hypothesis of schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology (1989) 99:S18–S27. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 163: 1–3. .
- 2001. Allelic variation of serotonin transporter expression is associated with depression in Parkinson's disease. Mol Psychiatry 6: 350–352. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Progress in monoamine oxidase (MAO) research in relation to genetic engineering. Neurotoxicology 25: 11–20. .
- 1998. VNTR (variable number of tandem repeat) sequences as transcriptional, translational, or functional regulators. J Hum Genet 43: 149–152. , , .
- 2009. Interacting haplotypes at the NPAS3 locus alter risk of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Mol Psychiatry 14: 874–884. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The insulin gene is transcribed in the human thymus and transcription levels correlated with allelic variation at the INS VNTR-IDDM2 susceptibility locus for type 1 diabetes. Nat Genet 15: 293–297. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Association between monoamine oxidase (MAO)-A gene variants and schizophrenia in a Chinese population. Brain Res 1287: 67–73. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A functional polymorphism in the monoamine oxidase A gene promoter. Hum Genet 103: 273–279. , , .
- 2003. Women have later onset than men in schizophrenia–but only in its paranoid form. Results of the DSP project. Eur Psychiatry 18: 274–281. , , .
- 2007. [Association study of the polymorphisms of monoamine oxidase A genes with schizophrenia]. Zhonghua Yi Xue Yi Chuan Xue Za Zhi 24: 457–459. , , , , , .
- 2003. Schizophrenia as a complex trait: Evidence from a meta-analysis of twin studies. Arch Gen Psychiatry 60: 1187–1192. , , .
- 2001. Association analysis of the functional monoamine oxidase A gene promoter polymorphism in psychiatric disorders. Am J Med Genet 105: 168–171. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Association of a MAOA gene variant with generalized anxiety disorder, but not with panic disorder or major depression. Am J Med Genet Part B 117B: 1–6. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Localization of distinct monoamine oxidase A and monoamine oxidase B cell populations in human brainstem. Neuroscience 25: 439–456. , , , .
- 2004. Association study of an SNP combination pattern in the dopaminergic pathway in paranoid schizophrenia: A novel strategy for complex disorders. Mol Psychiatry 9: 510–521. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A cis-phase interaction study of genetic variants within the MAOA gene in major depressive disorder. Biol Psychiatry 68: 795–800. , , , , , , , .