Prepared as a Research article for Neuropsychiatric Genetics.
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics
Volume 159B, Issue 8, pages 981–986, December 2012
How to Cite
Saetre, P., Grove, J., Børglum, A. D., Mors, O., Werge, T., Andreassen, O. A., Vares, M., Agartz, I., Terenius, L. and Jönsson, E. G. (2012), Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and age at onset of schizophrenia: No consistent evidence for an association in the nordic population. Am. J. Med. Genet., 159B: 981–986. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.b.32104
How to Cite this Article: Saetre P, Grove J, Børglum AD, Mors O, Werge T, Andreassen OA, Vares M, Agartz I, Terenius L, Jönsson EG. 2012. Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and age at onset of schizophrenia: no consistent evidence for an association in the Nordic population. Am J Med Genet Part B 159B:981–986.
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 DEC 2011
- Danish Strategic Research Council. Grant Number: 2101-07-0059
- GEMS consortium
- The EU. Grant Number: FP7-PEOPLE-2009-IAPP
- Copenhagen Hospital Corporation Research Fund
- Danish National Psychiatric Research Foundation
- Danish Agency for Science, and Technology and Innovation (Centre for Pharmacogenetics)
- Research Council of Norway. Grant Numbers: 163070/V50, 167153/V50
- South-Eastern Norway Health Authority. Grant Number: 123/2004
- Oslo University Hospital, and University of Oslo
- Swedish Research Council. Grant Numbers: 2006–2992, 2006-986, 2008–2167
- Stockholm County Council and the Karolinska Institutet
- Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation
- The HUBIN project
- methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene (MTHFR);
- age of onset;
Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) is an enzyme involved in metabolic pathways of importance for nucleotide synthesis and methylation of DNA, membranes, proteins and lipids. The MTHFR gene includes a common polymorphism (rs1801133 or C677T), which is associated with enzyme activity. The T-allele of the C677T polymorphism has been associated with earlier age at onset of schizophrenia in a Scandinavian population, although no association was found in replication attempts in other populations. Extending the study to five Nordic samples consisting of 2,198 patients with schizophrenia, including the original Scandinavian samples, there was no significant association between MTHFR C677T polymorphism and age at onset in schizophrenia. The present results do not suggest that the investigated MTHFR polymorphism has any significant influence on age at onset of schizophrenia in the Nordic population. © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.