Christel M. Middeldorp and Dorret I. Boomsma contributed equally to this article.
A prospective study of the effects of breastfeeding and FADS2 polymorphisms on cognition and hyperactivity/attention problems
Article first published online: 4 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics
Volume 162, Issue 5, pages 457–465, July 2013
How to Cite
2013. A Prospective Study of the Effects of Breastfeeding and FADS2 Polymorphisms on Cognition and Hyperactivity/Attention Problems. Am J Med Genet Part B. 162B:457–465., , , , , , , , , , , , .
Conflict of interest: none.
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 4 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JAN 2012
- American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Genomics of Developmental Trajectories in Twins). Grant Number: RC2 2MH08995
- European Research Council (Genetics of Mental Illness). Grant Number: ERC-230374
- the Netherlands Scientific Organization Spinozapremie. Grant Number: NWO/SPI 56-464-14192
- Neuroscience Campus Amsterdam
- EMGO+ Institution
- the Netherlands Scientific Organization (Twin Family Database for Behavior Genetics and Genomic Studies). Grant Number: NWO 480-04-004
- ZonMW (Genetic Influences on Stability and Change in Psychopathology From Childhood to Young Adulthood). Grant Number: ZonMW 912-10-020
- the Netherlands Scientific Organization VENI (The Interplay of Genetic and Environmental Factors in the Development of Anxious Depression in Children and Adults). Grant Number: VENI 916-76-125
- 1991. Manual for the child behavior checklist/4–18 and 1991 profile. Burlington, VT: Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont. .
- 1992. Manual for the child behavior checklist/2–3 and 1992 profile. Burlington, VT: Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont. .
- 2008. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) among male primary school children in Dammam, Saudi Arabia: Prevalence and associated factors. J Egypt Public Health Assoc 83:165–182. , , , .
- 1999. Breast-feeding and cognitive development: A meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr 70:525–535. , , .
- 2002. Heritability of educational achievement in 12-year-olds and the overlap with cognitive ability. Twin Res 5:544–553. , , , .
- 2009. Breastfeeding, maternal education and cognitive function: A prospective study in twins. Behav Genet 39:616–622. , , .
- 1984. Revised Amsterdam child intelligence test. Lisse, The Netherlands: Swets & Zeitlinger B.V. , , , .
- 2011. Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation for the treatment of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptomatology: Systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:991–1000. , .
- 2006. Association of fatty acid desaturase genes with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Biol Psychiatry 60:1053–1061. , , , , .
- 2007. Moderation of breastfeeding effects on the IQ by genetic variation in fatty acid metabolism. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104:18860–18865. , , , , , , , , , .
- CITO. 2002. Eindtoets basisonderwijs. Arnhem, The Netherlands: Citogroep.
- 2006. Effect of breast feeding on intelligence in children: Prospective study, sibling pairs analysis, and meta-analysis. BMJ 333:945. , , .
- 2006. The relations between DISC-IV DSM diagnoses of ADHD and multi-informant CBCL-AP syndrome scores. Compr Psychiatry 47:116–122. , , , , .
- 2008. Oily fish intake during pregnancy-association with lower hyperactivity but not with higher full-scale IQ in offspring. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 49:1061–1068. , , , , , .
- 2007. Maternal seafood consumption in pregnancy and neurodevelopmental outcomes in childhood (ALSPAC study): An observational cohort study. Lancet 369:578–585. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Longitudinal genetic study of verbal and nonverbal IQ from early childhood to young adulthood. Learning and Individual Differences 17:97–114. , , .
- 2007. Evidence on the long-term effects of breastfeeding: Systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Geneva: WHO. , , , .
- 2008. Why most discovered true associations are inflated. Epidemiology 19:640–648. .
- 2002. How good is the evidence linking breastfeeding and intelligence? Pediatrics 109:1044–1053. , , .
- 2007. Attention behavior and hyperactivity at age 4 and duration of breast-feeding. Acta Paediatr 96:842–847. , , , , , .
- 2005. The duration of breastfeeding and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 50:302–306. , .
- 1997. Behavioral and emotional problems in young preschoolers: Cross-cultural testing of the validity of the Child Behavior Checklist/ 2-3. J Abnorm Child Psychol 15:186–196. , , , .
- 2008. Breastfeeding and child cognitive development: New evidence from a large randomized trial. Arch Gen Psychiatry 65:578–584. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010a. Do FADS genotypes enhance our knowledge about fatty acid related phenotypes? Clin Nutr 29:277–287. , , , .
- 2010b. Genetic variants of the FADS1 FADS2 gene cluster as related to essential fatty acid metabolism. Curr Opin Lipidol 21:64–69. , , , .
- 2011. Cognitive function in adolescence: Testing for interactions between breast-feeding and FADS2 polymorphisms. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:55–62. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Gene × environment interactions at the serotonin transporter locus. Biol Psychiatry 65:211–219. , , , .
- 2006. Mx Statistical modeling. Richmond, VA: Department of Psychiatry. , , .
- 2010. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 49:884–897. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Effects of a restricted elimination diet on the behavior of children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (INCA study): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet 377:494–503. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A longitudinal twin study on IQ, executive functioning, and attention problems during childhood and early adolescence. Acta Neurol Belg 106:191–207. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Meta-analysis of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation of formula and infant cognition. Pediatrics 129:1141–1149. , , , .
- 1998. Manual for Raven's progressive matrices and vocabulary scales. Section 4: The advanced progressive matrices. Oxford: Oxford Psychologists Press. , , .
- 2000. Zygosity diagnosis in young twins by parental report. Twin Res 3:134–141. , , , , , .
- 2002. Application of hierarchical genetic models to Raven and WAIS subtests: A Dutch twin study. Behav Genet 32:199–210. , , .
- 2010. Association of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and atopic eczema modified by sleep disturbance in a large population-based sample. J Epidemiol Community Health 64:269–273. , , , .
- 2010. FADS2 polymorphisms modify the effect of breastfeeding on child IQ. PLoS ONE 5:e11570. , , , , .
- 2013. The Young Netherlands Twin Register (YNTR): Longitudinal twin and family studies in over 70,000 children. Twin Res Hum Genet 16:252–267. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Wechsler intelligence scale for children-revised, dutch version. Lisse, The Netherlands: Swets & Zetlinger B.V. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Heritability of verbal and performance intelligence in a pediatric longitudinal sample. Twin Res Hum Genet 14:119–128. , , , , , .
- 1996. Manual for the child behavior checklist/4–18. Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Erasmus University Rotterdam. , , .
- 1997. Wechsler Adult intelligence scale-third edition dutch version. Lisse, The Netherlands: Swets and Zetlinger. .
- 2002. Wechsler intelligence scale for children-third edition. Lisse, The Netherlands: Swets and Zetlinger. , , , , , .
- WHO. 2003. Global strategy for infant and young child feeding. Geneva: WHO.
- 2013. The adult Netherlands twin register: 25 years of survey and biological data collection. Twin Res Hum Genet 16:271–281. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .