Impaired response inhibition is associated with self-reported symptoms of depression, anxiety, and ADHD in female FMR1 premutation carriers
Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics
Volume 165, Issue 1, pages 41–51, January 2014
How to Cite
2013. Impaired Response Inhibition Is Associated With Self-Reported Symptoms of Depression, Anxiety, and ADHD in Female FMR1 Premutation Carriers. Am J Med Genet Part B 165B:41–51., , , , , , , , , .
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 26 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2013
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery. Grant Number: DP110103346
- Monash University Research Fellowship
- National Fragile X Foundation Rosen Summer Student Fellowship Award
- Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship Scheme
- Victorian Government's Operational Infrastructure Support Program
- 2004. Psychological well-being and coping in mothers of youths with autism, Down syndrome, or fragile X syndrome. Am J Ment Retard 109:237–254. , , , , , .
- 2010. Psychological symptoms correlate with reduced hippocampal volume in fragile X premutation carriers. Am J Med Genet Part B 153B:775–785. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Neuropsychological findings from older premutation carrier males and their noncarrier siblings from families with fragile X syndrome. Neuropsychology 25:404–411. , , , , , , , , .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2007. National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: Summary of results. Canberra, Australia: Australian Bureau of Statistics.
- 1997. Behavioral inhibition, sustained attention, and executive functions: Constructing a unifying theory of ADHD. Psychol Bull 121:65–94. .
- 2008. Unrecognized attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults presenting with other psychiatric disorders. CNS Spectr 13:977–984. , .
- 2013. Brain structure in asymptomatic FMR1 premutation carriers at risk for fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome. Neurobiol Aging 34:1700–1707. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome: Clinical features, genetics, and testing guidelines. Mov Disord 22:2018–2030; quiz 2140. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Influence of gender on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children referred to a psychiatric clinic. Am J Psychiatry 159:36–42. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Brown attention-deficit disorder scales manual. San Antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation. .
- 1997. The Hayling and Brixton tests. Tests Manual. Bury St. Edmunds, UK: Thames Valley Test Company. , .
- 2008. Assessment of executive functions: Review of instruments and identification of critical issues. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 23:201–216. , , , .
- 2010. An information-rich CGG repeat primed PCR that detects the full range of fragile X expanded alleles and minimizes the need for southern blot analysis. J Mol Diagn 12:589–600. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Dissociable and common deficits in inhibitory control in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 262:125–130. , , , .
- 2005. The emerging fragile X premutation phenotype: Evidence from the domain of social cognition. Brain Cogn 57:53–60. , , , , , , .
- 2008a. The fragile X continuum: New advances and perspectives. J Intellect Disabil Res 52:469–482. , , .
- 2008b. Age-dependent cognitive changes in carriers of the fragile X syndrome. Cortex 44:628–636. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Lifespan changes in working memory in fragile X premutation males. Brain Cogn 69:551–558. , , , , , .
- 2011. Selective executive markers of at-risk profiles associated with the fragile X premutation. Neurology 77:618–622. , , , .
- 2003. The Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS): Normative data and latent structure in a large non-clinical sample. Br J Clin Psychol 42:111–131. , .
- 2005. Assessment of executive function. In: Halligan PW, Wade DT, editors. Effectiveness of rehabilitation for cognitive deficits. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2005. The scientific foundation for understanding attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder as a valid psychiatric disorder. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 14:1–10. .
- 1998. Genotype–phenotype relationship in female carriers of the premutation and full mutation of FMR-1. Psychiatry Res 80:113–127. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale: A comparison of the psychometric properties of self-report and clinician-administered formats. Psychol Med 31:1025–1035. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Hypofrontality and negative symptoms in major depressive disorder. J Nucl Med 39:608–612. , , , , , .
- 2002. The Stroop Color and Word Test: Revised examiner's manual. Wood Dale, IL: Stoelting Co. , .
- 2002. Neuronal intranuclear inclusions in a new cerebellar tremor/ataxia syndrome among fragile X carriers. Brain 125:1760–1771. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Neuropathology of fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome (FXTAS). Brain 129:243–255. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Do tests of executive functioning predict ability to downregulate emotions spontaneously and when instructed to suppress? Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 9:144–152. , , , , , .
- 2001. Intention tremor, parkinsonism, and generalized brain atrophy in male carriers of fragile X. Neurology 57:127–130. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011a. An fMRI study of the prefrontal activity during the performance of a working memory task in premutation carriers of the fragile X mental retardation 1 gene with and without fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome (FXTAS). J Psychiatr Res 45:36–43. , , , , .
- 2011b. A voxel-based morphometry study of grey matter loss in fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome. Brain 134:863–878. , , , , .
- 2011c. Diffusion tensor imaging in male premutation carriers of the fragile X mental retardation gene. Mov Disord 26:1329–1336. , , , , .
- 2012. Executive functioning performance predicts subjective and physiological acute stress reactivity: Preliminary results. Int J Psychophysiol 84:277–283. , , , , .
- 2004. Cortico-subcortical contributions to executive control. Acta Psychol 115:271–289. , , .
- 2012. Selective spatial processing deficits in an at-risk subgroup of the fragile X premutation. Brain Cogn 79:39–44. , , .
- 2011. Convergent grey and white matter evidence of orbitofrontal cortex changes related to disinhibition in behavioral variant frontotemporal dementia. Brain 134:2502–2512. , , .
- 2012. A review of executive function deficits and pharmacological management in children and adolescents. J Can Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 21:223–229. , .
- 2008a. Investigation of phenotypes associated with mood and anxiety among male and female fragile X premutation carriers. Behav Genet 38:493–502. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008b. No evidence for a difference in neuropsychological profile among carriers and noncarriers of the FMR1 premutation in adults under the age of 50. Am J Hum Genet 83:692–702. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Is there evidence for neuropsychological and neurobehavioral phenotypes among adults without FXTAS who carry the FMR1 premutation? A review of current literature. Genet Med 11:79–89. , , , .
- 2010. Co-occurring diagnoses among FMR1 premutation allele carriers. Clin Genet 77:374–381. , , .
- 2012a. The FMR1 premutation and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): Evidence for a complex inheritance. Behav Genet 42:415–422. , , , , .
- 2012b. Depression and anxiety symptoms among women who carry the FMR1 premutation: Impact of raising a child with fragile X syndrome is moderated by CRHR1 polymorphisms. Am J Med Genet Part B 159B:549–559. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fragile X premutation tremor/ataxia syndrome: Molecular, clinical, and neuroimaging correlates. Am J Hum Genet 72:869–878. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Clinical utility gene card for: Fragile X mental retardation syndrome, fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome and fragile X-associated primary ovarian insufficiency. Eur J Hum Genet 19. , , , , .
- 2001. Neurobehavioral phenotype in carriers of the fragile X premutation. Am J Med Genet 103:314–319. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Arithmetic difficulties in females with the fragile X premutation. Am J Med Genet Part A 140A:665–672. , , , .
- 2010. Indicators of anxiety and depression in women with the fragile X premutation: Assessment of a clinical sample. J Intellect Disabil Res 54:597–610. , , , , , .
- 2008. FMR1 CGG repeat length predicts motor dysfunction in premutation carriers. Neurology 70:1397–1402. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Social phobia. Mod Probl Pharmacopsychiatry 22:141–173. .
- 2003a. Effect of the fragile X status categories and the fragile X mental retardation protein levels on executive functioning in males and females with fragile X. Neuropsychology 17:646–657. , , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Effect of fragile X status categories and FMRP deficits on cognitive profiles estimated by robust pedigree analysis. Am J Med Genet Part A 122A:13–23. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Manual for the depresion anxiety stress scales. Sydney, NSW: Psychology Foundation of Australia. , .
- 2006. Predictors of stress in mothers and fathers of children with fragile X syndrome. Res Dev Disabil 27:688–704. , , , .
- 2008. A model for offering carrier screening for fragile X syndrome to nonpregnant women: Results from a pilot study. Genet Med 10:525–535. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Executive functioning in offspring at risk for depression and anxiety. Depress Anxiety 26:780–790. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. The nature and organization of individual differences in executive functions: Four general conclusions. Curr Dir Psychol Sci 21:8–14. , .
- 2000. The unity and diversity of executive functions and their contributions to complex “Frontal Lobe” tasks: A latent variable analysis. Cogn Psychol 41:49–100. , , , , , .
- 1996. Test review: Brown attention-deficit disorder scales and brown add diagnostic forms. Assess Eff Interv 22:63–74. .
- 2011. A quantitative assessment of tremor and ataxia in female FMR1 premutation carriers using CATSYS. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res. doi: 10.1155/2011/484713. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Hypofrontality in panic disorder and major depressive disorder assessed by multi-channel near-infrared spectroscopy. Depress Anxiety 25:1053–1059. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The neural network basis for abnormalities of attention and executive function in major depressive disorder: Implications for application of the medical disease model to psychiatric disorders. Harv Rev Psychiatry 10:86–99. , , .
- 2007. Psychometric properties of the Depression Anxiety Stress Scales (DASS) in depressed clinical samples. Br J Clin Psychol 46:283–297. , , .
- 2012. Anatomical insights into the interaction of emotion and cognition in the prefrontal cortex. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 36:479–501. , .
- 2009. Mood and anxiety disorders in females with the FMR1 premutation. Am J Med Genet Part B 150B:130–139. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Penetrance of FMR1 premutation associated pathologies in fragile X syndrome families. Eur J Hum Genet 17:1359–1362. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Validity of the Brown ADD scales: An investigation in a predominantly inattentive ADHD adolescent sample with and without reading disabilities. J Atten Disord 5:155–164. , .
- 2009. Screening for social anxiety disorder with the self-report version of the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale. Depress Anxiety 26:34–38. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Working memory capacity and the self-regulation of emotional expression and experience. J Pers Soc Psychol 95:1526–1540. , , .
- 2004. The principal features and mechanisms of dopamine modulation in the prefrontal cortex. Prog Neurobiol 74:1–58. , .
- 2013. Sequestration of DROSHA and DGCR8 by expanded CGG RNA repeats alters microRNA processing in fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia syndrome. Cell Rep 3:869–880. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Differential sensitivity to life stress in FMR1 premutation carrier mothers of children with fragile X syndrome. Health Psychol 31:612–622. , , , , , .
- 2013. Ages of onset of mood and anxiety disorders in fragile X premutation carriers. Curr Psychiatry Rev 9:65–71. , , , , , .
- 2000. Premature ovarian failure in the fragile X syndrome. Am J Med Genet 97:189–194. .
- 2013. Language dysfluencies in females with the FMR1 premutation. Brain Cogn 82:84–89. , , , , .
- 2003. A distinct neurocognitive phenotype in female fragile-X premutation carriers assessed with visual attention tasks. Am J Med Genet Part A 116A:44–51. , , , .
- 2000. Elevated levels of FMR1 mRNA in carrier males: A new mechanism of involvement in the fragile-X syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 66:6–15. , , , , , .
- 2012. Neuropathological, clinical and molecular pathology in female fragile X premutation carriers with and without FXTAS. Genes Brain Behav 11:577–585. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Male carriers of the FMR1 premutation show altered hippocampal-prefrontal function during memory encoding. Front Hum Neurosci 6:1–13. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Validity of the executive function theory of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A meta-analytic review. Biol Psychiatry 57:1336–1346. , , , , .
- 2007. The FMR1 premutation and reproduction. Fertil Steril 87:456–465. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Phenotypes of hypofrontality in older female fragile X premutation carriers. Ann Neurol 20:23933. , , , , , , , , , , .