Altered DNA methylation status of human brain derived neurotrophis factor gene could be useful as biomarker of depression
Article first published online: 7 MAY 2014
© 2014 The Authors. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B: Neuropsychiatric Genetics
Volume 165, Issue 4, pages 357–364, June 2014
How to Cite
2014. Altered DNA methylation status of human brain derived neurotrophis factor gene could be useful as biomarker of depression. Am J Med Genet Part B 165B:357–364., , , , , , , , , , , .
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2014
- Article first published online: 7 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 NOV 2013
- Scientific Research. Grant Number: 24390160
- Scientific Research on Innovative Areas (Research in a Proposed Research Area). Grant Number: 21119002
- 2012. Saliva samples are a viable alternative to blood samples as a source of DNA for high throughput genotyping. BMC Med Genomics 5:19. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. A BDNF autocrine loop in adult sensory neurons prevents cell death. Nature 374:450–453. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Neurotrophins, synaptic plasticity and dementia. Curr Opin Neurobiol 17:325–330. , .
- 2007. Detecting depression after pregnancy: The validity of the K10 and K6 in Burkina Faso. Trop Med Int Health 12:1225–1229. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Persistence of long-term memory storage requires a late protein synthesis- and BDNF-dependent phase in the hippocampus. Neuron 53:261–277. , , , , , .
- 2000. Neurotrophins: Key regulators of cell fate and cell shape in the vertebrate nervous system. Genes Dev 14:2919–2937. , .
- 2004. DNA yield with Oragene™. Ottawa: DNA Genotek, Inc; [cited 2013 Aug 13]. Available from: http://news.bio-medicine.org/?q=biology-technology/dna-yield-with-oragene-1232. .
- 2008. A systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical studies on major depression and BDNF levels: Implications for the role of neuroplasticity in depression. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 11:1169–1180. , , .
- 2006. Genetic variant BDNF (Val66Met) polymorphism alters anxiety-related behavior. Science 314:140–143. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Selective DNA methylation of BDNF promoter in bipolar disorder: Differences among patients with BDI and BDII. Neuropsychopharmacology 37:1647–1655. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. CpG islands and the regulation of transcription. Genes Dev 25:1010–1022. , .
- 2006. Gene expression regulation and cancer. Clin Transl Oncol 8:780–787. , .
- 2009. Bisulfite-based epityping on pooled genomic DNA provides an accurate estimate of average group DNA methylation. Epigenetics Chromatin 2:3. , , , , .
- 2003. The BDNF val66met polymorphism affects activity-dependent secretion of BDNF and human memory and hippocampal function. Cell 112:257–269. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Epigenetic regulation of BDNF gene in response to stress. Psychiatry Investig 7:251–256. , , , , .
- 2011. DNA methylation profiles of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene as a potent diagnostic biomarker in major depression. PLoS ONE 6:e23881. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The performance of the Japanese version of the K6 and K10 in the World Mental Health Survey Japan. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 17:152–158. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The role of BDNF as a mediator of neuroplasticity in bipolar disorder. Psychiatry Investig 7:243–250. , , , .
- 2001. Neurotrophins: Roles in neuronal development and function. Annu Rev Neurosci 24:677–736. , .
- 2002. Postnatal developmental profile of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in rat brain and platelets. Neurosci Lett 328:261–264. , , .
- 2010. Increased BDNF promoter methylation in the Wernicke area of suicide subjects. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67:258–267. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress. Psychol Med 32:959–976. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Screening for serious mental illness in the general population. Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:184–189. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. A longitudinal study of BDNF promoter methylation and genotype with poststroke depression. J Affect Disord 149:93–99. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. DNA methylation and expression profiles of the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and dopamine transporter (DAT1) genes in patients with schizophrenia. Mol Biol Rep 39:10889–10893. , , .
- 1994. Neurotrophic factors: From molecule to man. Trends Neurosci 17:182–190. , , , .
- 2005. Human brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) genes, splicing patterns, and assessments of associations with substance abuse and Parkinson's Disease. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 134B:93–103. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. BDNF: A key regulator for protein synthesis-dependent LTP and long-term memory? Neurobiol Learn Mem 89:312–323. , , .
- 2008. Epigenetic regulation of BDNF gene transcription in the consolidation of fear memory. J Neurosci 28:10576–10586. , , .
- 2004. DNA methyltransferase 1 knock down induces gene expression by a mechanism independent of DNA methylation and histone deacetylation. J Biol Chem 279:27915–27927. , , , .
- 2012. Folate intake and depressive symptoms in Japanese workers considering SES and job stress factors: J-HOPE study. BMC Psychiatry 12:33. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. DNA hypomethylation of MB-COMT promoter in the DNA derived from saliva in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. J Psychiatr Res 45:1432–1438. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Interaction between BDNF Val66Met and childhood trauma on adult's violent suicide attempt. Genes Brain Behav 7:314–322. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Dissecting the human BDNF locus: Bidirectional transcription, complex splicing, and multiple promoters. Genomics 90:397–406. , , , , .
- 2010. Epigenetic mechanisms underlying human epileptic disorders and the process of epileptogenesis. Neurobiol Dis 39:53–60. , .
- 2008. Differential methylation of the X-chromosome is a possible source of discordance for bipolar disorder female monozygotic twins. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147B:459–462. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Lasting epigenetic influence of early-life adversity on the BDNF gene. Biol Psychiatry 65:760–769. , , , .
- 2011. Epigenetic modification of hippocampal Bdnf DNA in adult rats in an animal model of post-traumatic stress disorder. J Psychiatr Res 45:919–926. , , , .
- 2011. Screening performance of K6/K10 and other screening instruments for mood and anxiety disorders in Japan. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 65:434–441. , , , , .
- 2011. Correlations between brain-derived neurotrophic factor and clinical symptoms in medicated patients with major depression. J Affect Disord 135:332–335. , , , , , .
- 2006. A genome-wide analysis of CpG dinucleotides in the human genome distinguishes two distinct classes of promoters. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1412–1417. , , .
- 2008. Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor, depression, and antidepressant medications: Meta-analyses and implications. Biol Psychiatry 64:527–532. , , .
- 2003. Alterations of serum levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) in depressed patients with or without antidepressants. Biol Psychiatry 54:70–75. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Duration of last depressive episode may influence serum BDNF levels in remitted patients with major depression. Depress Anxiety 29:775–779. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Multiple promoters direct tissue-specific expression of the rat BDNF gene. Neuron 10:475–489. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Daily serum and salivary BDNF levels correlate with morning-evening personality type in women and are affected by light therapy. Riv Psichiatr 47:527–534. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. From acquisition to consolidation: On the role of brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling in hippocampal-dependent learning. Learn Mem 9:224–237. , , , .
- 2012. Dynamic changes in DNA methylation of stress-associated genes (OXTR, BDNF) after acute psychosocial stress. Transl Psychiatry 2:e150. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor/TrkB signaling in memory processes. J Pharmacol Sci 91:267–270. , .