Abee L. Boyles is a Ph.D. student in the Duke University Program in Genetics and Genomics. Her dissertation focuses on the genetics of neural tube defects and Chiari Malformation.
Candidate gene analysis in human neural tube defects
Version of Record online: 6 APR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Neural Tube Defects
Volume 135C, Issue 1, pages 9–23, 15 May 2005
How to Cite
Boyles, A. L., Hammock, P. and Speer, M. C. (2005), Candidate gene analysis in human neural tube defects. Am. J. Med. Genet., 135C: 9–23. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.30048
- Issue online: 18 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 6 APR 2005
- 2002. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in the transcobalamin gene: Relationship with transcobalamin concentrations and risk for neural tube defects. Eur J Hum Genet 10: 433–438. , , , , .
- 2003. The H475Y polymorphism in the glutamate carboxypeptidase II gene increases plasma folate without affecting the risk for neural tube defects in humans. J Nutr 133: 75–77. , , .
- 2003. Folic acid awareness in Michigan, 1996–1999. Obstet Gynecol 102: 1046–1050. , , , , .
- NTD Collaborative Group. 2005. SNPs in neural cell adhesion molecule 1 (NCAM1) may be associated with human neural tube defects. Hum Genet (in press). , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- NTD Collaborative Group. 2002. A novel mutation in the gene encoding noggin are not causative in human neural tube defects. Neurogenet 16: 65–71. , , , , , , , , ,
- NTD Collaborative Group. 2004. TERC is not a major gene in human neural tube defects. Birth Defects Res A: Clin Molec Teratol 70: 531–533. , , , , , , , , , and the
- 2000. 5,10-Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene variants and congenital anomalies: A HuGE review. Am J Epidemiol 151: 862–877. , .
- 1999. Methionine synthase: High-resolution mapping of the human gene and evaluation as a candidate locus for neural tube defects. Mol Genet Metab 67: 324–333. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A polymorphism, R653Q, in the trifunctional enzyme methylenetetrahydrofolate dehydrogenase/methenyltetrahydrofolate cyclohydrolase/formyltetrahydrofolate synthetase is a maternal genetic risk factor for neural tube defects: Report of the birth defects research group. Am J Hum Genet 71: 1207–1215. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Possible association of NTDs with a polyhistidine tract polymorphism in the ZIC2 gene. Am J Med Genet 108: 128–131. , , , , , .
- 2001. Lack of mutations in ZIC3 in three families with neural tube defects. Am J Med Genet 98: 283–285. , , , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 1992. Recommendations for the use of folic acid to reduce the number of cases of spina bifida and other neural tube defects. Mor Mortal Wkly 41: 1–7.
- 1994. Study of genetics, epidemiology, and vitamin usage in familial spina bifida in the United States in the 1990s. Neurol 44: 65–69. , , , , , .
- 1995. Absence of linkage between familial neural tube defects and PAX3 gene. J Med Genet 32: 200–204. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A general and accurate approach for computing the statistical power of the transmission disequilibrium test for complex disease genes. Genet Epidemiol 21: 53–67. , .
- 1999. Genetic polymorphisms in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and methionine synthase, folate levels in red blood cells, and risk of neural tube defects. Am J Med Genet 84: 151–157. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. A generalization of the transmission/disequilibrium test for uncertain-haplotype transmission. Am J Hum Genet 65: 1170–1177. .
- 2002. Metabolic effects of C677T and A1298C mutations at the MTHFR gene in Brazilian children with neural tube defects. Clin Chim Acta 318: 139–143. , , , , , .
- 2002. Study of MTHFR and MS polymorphisms as risk factors for NTD in the Italian population. J Hum Genet 47: 319–324. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Reduced folate carrier polymorphism (80AG) and neural tube defects. Eur J Hum Genet 11: 245–252. , , , , , , , , , .
- NTD Collaborative Group. 2002. CYP26A1 and RALDH2 are not implicated in teh development of human neural tube defects. Am J Hum Gen 71: 469. , , , , , , , ,
- 1992. Epidemiology and control of neural tube defects. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , .
- 2002. Evaluation of BMP4 and its specific inhibitor NOG as candidates in human neural tube defects (NTDs). Eur J Hum Genet 10: 753–756. , , , , , , .
- 1995. A candidate genetic risk factor for vascular disease: A common mutation in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. Nat Genet 10: 111–113. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Frequency of the thermolabile variant C677T in the MTHFR gene and lack of association with neural tube defects in the State of Yucatan, Mexico. Clin Genet 62: 394–398. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A transmission/disequilibrium test that allows for genotyping errors in the analysis of single-nucleotide polymorphism data. Am J Hum Genet 69: 371–380. , , , .
- 2003. Transcobalamin and methionine synthase reductase mutated polymorphisms aggravate the risk of neural tube defects in humans. Neurosci Let 344: 189–192. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The effects of folic acid in the prevention of neural tube development defects caused by phenytoin in early chick embryos. Spine 28: 442–445. , , , .
- 1999. Mini-review: Toward understanding mechanisms of genetic neural tube defects in mice. Teratol 60: 292–305. , .
- 2001. Is mutated serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT) involved in the etiology of neural tube defects? Mol Genet Metab 73: 164–172. , , , , , .
- 1996. PAX genes and human neural tube defects: An amino acid substitution in PAX1 in a patient with spina bifida. J Med Genet 33: 655–660. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Molecular genetic analysis of the gene encoding the trifunctional enzyme MTHFD (methylenetetrahydrofolate-dehydrogenase, methenyltetrahydrofolate-cyclohydrolase, formyltetrahydrofolate synthetase) in patients with neural tube defects. Clin Genet 53: 119–125. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Changes in frequencies of heterozygous thermolabile 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene in fetuses with neural tube defects. J Med Genet 39: 366–367. , , .
- 2001. Promoter haplotype combinations of the platelet-derived growth factor alpha-receptor gene predispose to human neural tube defects. Nat Genet 27: 215–217. , , , .
- 2002. A regulating element essential for PDGFRA transcription is recognized by neural tube defect-associated PRX homeobox transcription factors. Biochim Biophys Acta—Molecular Basis of Disease 1588: 254–260. , , , , .
- 1989. Statistical methods in epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2000. Expression of the sonic hedgehog gene in human embryos with neural tube defects. Teratol 61: 347–354. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic variation analysis of MLP, TFAP2A, and CSK in patients with neural tube defects. J Med Genet 40: e43. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Genetic dissection of complex traits: Guidelines for interpreting and reporting linkage results. Nat Genet 11: 241–247. , .
- 2000. A test for linkage and association in general pedigrees: The pedigree disequilibrium test. Am J Hum Genet 67: 146–154. , , , .
- 2000. Genetic studies in neural tube defects. NTD Collaborative Group. Pediatr Neurosurg 32: 1–9. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Multivitamin/folic acid supplementation in early pregnancy reduces the prevalence of neural tube defects. JAMA 262: 2847–2852. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Common variant in betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase (BHMT) and risk for spina bifida. Am J Med Genet 119A: 172–176. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Susceptibility to spina bifida; an association study of five candidate genes. Ann Hum Genet 62(Pt. 5): 379–396. , , , , , , .
- MRC Vitamin Study Research Group. 1991. Prevention of neural tube defects: Results of the Medical Research Council Vitamin Study. Lancet 338: 131–137.
- National Research Council. 2000. Scientific frontiers in developmental toxicology and risk assessment. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- 1994. Linkage analysis of 62 X-chromosomal loci excludes the X chromosome in an Icelandic family showing apparent X-linked recessive inheritance of neural tube defects. Clin Genet 45: 241–249. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. 5,10 Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase genetic polymorphism as a risk factor for neural tube defects. Am J Med Genet 63: 610–614. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Polymorphisms of the 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate and the methionine synthase reductase genes as independent risk factors for spina bifida. J Appl Genet 44: 111–113. , , , .
- 2003. Updated investigations of the role of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase in human neural tube defects. Clin Genet 63: 210–214. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Are common mutations of cystathionine beta-synthase involved in the aetiology of neural tube defects? Clin Genet 51: 39–42. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. C677T and A1298C MTHFR polymorphisms in the etiology of neural tube defects in Spanish population. Med Clin 120: 441–445. , , , , .
- 2002. Human T and risk for neural tube defects. J Med Genet 39: E14. , , .
- 2002. SNPs in the CpG island of NAP1L2: A possible link between DNA methylation and neural tube defects? Am J Med Genet 110: 203–207. , , , , , .
- 2000. Retinoids in embryonal development. Physiol Rev 80: 1021–1054. , , , .
- 1993. Genotype relative risks: Methods for design and analysis of candidate-gene association studies. Am J Hum Genet 53: 1114–1126. , .
- 1995. An extended transmission/disequilibrium test (TDT) for multi-allele marker loci. Ann Hum Genet 59: 323–336. , .
- 2004. Polymorphisms involved in folate metabolism and colorectal neoplasia: A HuGE review. Am J Epidemiol 159: 423–443. , .
- 2002. Maternal periconceptional vitamin use, genetic variation of infant reduced folate carrier (A80G), and risk of spina bifida. Am J Med Genet 108: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 1999. The “thermolabile” variant of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and neural tube defects: An evaluation of the genetic risk and the relative importance of the genotypes of the embryo and the mother. Am J Hum Genet 64: 1045–1055. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Association between historically high frequencies of neural tube defects and the human T homologue of moute T (Brachyrury). Am J Med Genet 92: 206–211. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. T locus shows no evidence for linkage disequilibrium or mutation in American Caucasian neural tube defect families. Am J Med Genet 110: 215–218. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- NTD Collaborative Group. 2003. Genomic screening and testing of candidate genes in human neural tube defects. International Neural Tube Defects Conference. , , , , , , ,
- 1998. A sibship test for linkage in the presence of association: The sib transmission/disequilibrium test. Am J Hum Genet 62: 450–458. , .
- 1993. Transmission test for linkage disequilibrium: The insulin gene region and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM). Am J Hum Genet 52: 506–516. , , .
- 1999. Linkage disequilibrium of MTHFR genotypes 677C/T-1298A/C in the German population and association studies in probands with neural tube defects(NTD). Am J Med Genet 87: 23–29. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A screen for mutations in human homologues of mice exencephaly genes Tfap2alpha and Msx2 in patients with neural tube defects. Teratol 63: 167–175. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Promoter sequence, expression, and fine chromosomal mapping of the human gene (MLP) encoding the MARCKS-like protein: Identification of neighboring and linked polymorphic loci for MLP and MACS and use in the evaluation of human neural tube defects. Genomics 49: 253–264. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Point: Population stratification: A problem for case-control studies of candidate-gene associations. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 11: 505–512. , .
- 1999. Analysis of select folate pathway genes, PAX3, and human T in a Midwestern neural tube defect population. Teratol 59: 331–341. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Mutated methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase as a risk factor for spina bifida. Lancet 346: 1070–1071. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of the human Sonic Hedgehog coding and promoter regions in sacral agenesis, triphalangeal thumb, and mirror polydactyly. Hum Genet 102: 387–392. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Studies with His475Tyr glutamate carboxipeptidase II polymorphism and neural tube defects. Am J Med Genet 111: 218–219. , , , , , , , .
- 2002a. Testing for genetic associations in a spina bifida population: Analysis of the HOX gene family and human candidate gene regions implicated by mouse models of neural tube defects. Am J Med Genet 110: 203–207. , , , , , , .
- 2002b. Testing for genetic associations with the PAX gene family in a spina bifida population. Am J Med Genet 110: 195–202. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Risk factors for neural tube defects: Associations between uncoupling protein 2 polymorphisms and spina bifida. Birth Defects Res A—Clin Molec Teratol 67: 158–161. , , , , .
- 2002. Counterpoint: Bias from population stratification is not a major threat to the validity of conclusions from epidemiological studies of common polymorphisms and cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 11: 513–520. , , .
- 1998. A log-linear approach to case-parent-triad data: Assessing effects of disease genes that act either directly or through maternal effects and that may be subject to parental imprinting. Am J Hum Genet 62: 969–978. , , .
- 1999. A common variant in methionine synthase reductase combined with low cobalamin (vitamin B-12) increases risk for spina bifida. Mol Genet Metab 67: 317–323. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Study on genotypes of cystathionine beta-synthase in neural tube defects. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 29: 50–51. , , , .
- 2003a. Is sonic hedgehog (SHH) a candidate gene for spina bifida? A pilot study. Am J Med Genet 117A: 87–88. , , , , .
- 2003b. Lack of association between ZIC2 and ZIC3 genes and the risk of neural tube defects (NTDs) in Hispanic populations. Am J Med Genet 116A: 414–415. , , , , , , , .