Laura Mitchell, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Center for Environmental and Genetic Medicine of the Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A&M University System Health Science Center in Houston, Texas. Her research interests include genetic epidemiology of birth defects, and methods for evaluating the genetic contribution to complex human diseases.
Epidemiology of neural tube defects
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2005
Copyright © 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Neural Tube Defects
Volume 135C, Issue 1, pages 88–94, 15 May 2005
How to Cite
Mitchell, L. E. (2005), Epidemiology of neural tube defects. Am. J. Med. Genet., 135C: 88–94. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.30057
- Issue published online: 18 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2005
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HD39195, HD39081, ES11658
- 1999. Has advice on periconceptional folate supplementation reduced neural-tube defects? Lancet 354: 998–999. , , , .
- 1980. Survival and handicap in infants with spina bifida. Arch Dis Child 55: 845–850. , .
- 1984. Neural tube defects as an X-linked condition. Am J Med Genet 17: 383–385. , .
- 2002. Risk of birth defects by parental occupational exposure to 50 Hz electromagnetic fields: A population based study. Occup Environ Med 59: 92–97. , , .
- 1990. Fallacies of international and national comparisons of disease occurrence in the epidemiology of neural tube defects. Teratology 42: 405–412. , .
- 1999. Neural-tube defects. N Eng J Med 341: 1509–1519. , , , .
- 2001. Spina bifida outcome: A 25-year prospective. Pediatr Neurosurg 34: 114–120. , , , , .
- 1999. Pre-school follow-up of a cohort of children with myelomeningocele in Cape Town, South Africa. Ann Trop Pediatr 19: 245–252. , , .
- 1996. Hispanic origin and neural tube defects in Houston/Harris County, Texas. I. Descriptive epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 143: 1–11. , , , , .
- 2002. Physical activity and risk of neural tube defects. Matern Child Health J 6: 151–157. , , , , .
- 2003a. Social networks and risk of neural tube defects. Eur J Epidemiol 18: 129–133. , , , , .
- 2003b. Dieting behaviors and risk of neural tube defects. Am J Epidemiol 158: 1127–1131. , , , , .
- 1973. Spina bifida and anencephaly in greater London. J Med Genet 10: 209–234. , .
- 1998. A longitudinal study of cognitive abilities and achievement status in children with myelomeningocele and their relationship with clinical types. Eur J Pediatr Surg 8: 52–54. , .
- 2003. Preliminary data on changes in neural tube defect prevalence rates after folic acid fortification in South America. Am J Med Genet 123A: 123–128. , , , , .
- CDC. 1995. Surveillance for anencephaly and spina bifida and the impact of prenatal diagnosis—United States, 1985–1994. MMWR 44: 1–13.
- 1998. Maternal fever and birth outcome: A prospective study. Teratology 58: 251–257. , , , , .
- 1993. Prevalence of neural tube defects in South Australia, 1966–1991: Effectiveness and impact of prenatal diagnosis. Br Med J 307: 703–706. , , , , , .
- 1992. Prevention of the first occurrence of neural tube defects by periconceptional vitamin supplementation. N Eng J Med 327: 1832–1835. , .
- 2003. Malformations of the cranium, vertebral column, and related central nervous system: Morphologic heterogeneity may indicate biological diversity. Birth Defects Res (Part A) 67: 563–571. , .
- 2003. Reduced folate carrier polymorphism (80A-G) and neural tube defects. Eur J Hum Genet 11: 245–252. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Trend in prevalence of neural tube defects in Quebec. Birth Defects Res (Part A) 67: 919–923. , , , , .
- 2001. Relation between trihalomethane compounds and birth defects. Occup Environ Med 58: 443–446. , .
- 1998. Risk of congenital anomalies near hazardous-waste landfill sites in Europe: The EUROHAZCON study. Lancet 352: 423–427. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Maternal genetic effects, exerted by genes involved in homocysteine remethylation, influence the risk of spina bifida. Am J Hum Genet 71: 1222–1226. , , , , .
- 1991. Do familial neural tube defects breed true? J Med Genet 28: 605–608. , , .
- 2002. Folic acid and prevention of spina bifida and anencephaly. 10 years after the U.S. Public Health Service Recommendation. Introduction. MMWR 51: 1–3. .
- 1986. Nonsyndromic anencephaly: Possible autosomal recessive variant. Am J Med Genet 24: 461–464. , , .
- 2003. Diarrhea: A new risk factor for neural tube defects? Birth Defects Res (Part A) 67: 504–508. , , , .
- 1982. A five-generation family with sacral agenesis and spina bifida: Possible similarities with the mouse T-locus. Am J Med Genet 12: 465–487. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Neural tube defect prevalence in California (1990–1994): Eliciting patterns by tyep of defect and maternal race/ethnicity. Genet Testing 3: 265–272. , , , , , .
- 1982. Spinal dysraphia as an autosomal dominant defect in four families. Am J Med Genet 12: 457–464. , , , , , .
- 2003. Pathobiology and genetics of neural tube defects. Epilepsia Suppl 3: 14–23. , , .
- 2000. Prenatal diagnosis and elective termination of neural tube defects in Hawaii, 1986–1997. Fetal Diagn Ther 15: 146–151. , .
- 1988. Are “upper” and “lower” neural tube defects aetiologically different? J Med Genet 25: 503–504. , , .
- 2003. Epidemiology of neural tube defects. Epilepsia 44: 4–13. , .
- 2000. Association study designs of complex disease. Lancet 355: 308–311. , , .
- 2003a. Maternal myo-inositol, glucose, and zinc status is associated with the risk of offspring with spina bifida. Am J Obstet Gynecol 189: 1713–1719. , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Are myo-inositol, glucose and zinc concentrations in amniotic fluid of fetuses with spina bifida different from controls? Early Hum Dev 71: 1–8. , , , , , .
- 1998. Genetics of neural tube defects. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 4: 269–281. , .
- 1988. Clinical, genetic, and epidemiological factors in neural tube defects. Am J Hum Genet 43: 827–837. , , , , , .
- 2001. Why are the genes that cause risk of human neural tube defects so hard to find? Teratology 63: 165–166. .
- 1999. Fumonisins and neural tube defects in south Texas. Epidemiology 10: 198–200. .
- 1999. Neural tube defects along the Texas-Mexico border, 1993–1995. Am J Epidemiol 149: 1119–1127. , , .
- 2001. Effects of hyperinsulinemia and obesity on risk of neural tube defects among Mexican Americans. Epidemiology 12: 630–635. , , , .
- 2001. Neural tube defects in relation to use of folic acid antagonists during pregnancy. Am J Epidemiol 153: 961–968. , , , .
- 2002. A comprehensive review of genetic association studies. Genet Med 4: 45–61. , , , .
- 2001. Putting the search for genes in perspective. Int J Health Serv 31: 445–46. .
- 2001. Impact of folic acid fortification of the US food supply on the occurrence of neural tube defects. JAMA 285: 2981–2986. , , , , .
- 1999. Non-selective intervention in newborn babies with open spina bifida: The outcome 30 years on for the complete cohort. Eur J Pediatr Surg 9: 5–8. .
- 2003. Genetic associations in large versus small studies: An empirical assessment. Lancet 361: 567–571. , , , .
- 1988. A family showing apparent X linked inheritance of both anencephaly and spina bifida. J Med Genet 25: 227–229. , , , , , .
- 1982a. Etiologic heterogeneity of neural tube defects. II. Clues from family studies. Am J Hum Genet 34: 980–987. , , .
- 1982b. Etiologic heterogeneity of neural tube defects: Clues from epidemiology. Am J Epidemiol 115: 538–548. , , .
- 1999. Neural tube defects and drinking water disinfection by-products. Epidemiology 10: 383–390. , .
- 1999. Safe use of valproic acid during pregnancy. Can Fam Physician 45: 1451–1453. .
- 1987. Teratogen update: Valproic acid. Teratology 35: 465–473. , , .
- 1996. Ultraviolet light-related neural tube defects? Am J Med Genet 67: 106. .
- 1967. Major central nervous system malformations in south Wales. I. Incidence, local variation and geographic factors. Br J Prev Soc Med 21: 146–160. , , .
- 1988. Neural tube defects. JAMA 259: 558–562. .
- 2003. Meta-analysis of genetic association studies supports a contribution of common variants to susceptibility to common disease. Nat Genetic 33: 177–182. , , , , .
- 1994. Maternal flu, fever and risk of neural tube defects: A population-based case-control study. Am J Epidemiol 140: 244–255. , , , .
- 2002. The teratogenic effect of carbamazepine: A meta-analysis of 1255 exposures. Reprod Toxicol 16: 9–17. , , , .
- 2000. Why do adults with spina bifida and hydrocephalus die? A clinic-based study. Eur J Pediatr Surg 10: 31–32. , .
- 2002. Prevention and detection of diabetic embryopathy. Community Genet 5: 33–39. , .
- 2004. Spina bifida and anencephaly before and after folic acid mandate—United States, 1995–1996 and 1999–2000. MMWR 53: 362–365. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Maternal heat exposure and neural tube defects. JAMA 268: 882–885. , , , , , .
- 1997. Genetic epidemiology of birth defects: Nonsyndromic cleft lip and neural tube defects. Epidemiol Rev 19: 61–68. .
- 1990. X chromosome genes involved in the regulation of facial clefting and spina bifida. Cleft Palate J 27: 131–135. , , , , , .
- MRC. 1991. Prevention of neural tube defects. Lancet 338: 131–137.
- 1980. A family study of spina bifdia and anencephaly in Belfast, northern Ireland (1964–1968). J Med Genet 17: 203–211. , .
- 1993. Embryonic development of the mammalian caudal neural tube. Teratology 48: 21–31. , , , .
- 1999. Summary of the initial development of the human nervous system. Teratology 60: 39–41. , .
- 1998. Epidemiology of neural tube defects. Ment Retard Dev Disabil Res Rev 4: 241–246. , .
- 2002. Trends in neural tube defect prevalence, folic acid supplementation, and vitamin supplement use. Simin Perinatol 26: 277–285. , .
- 2002. Elevated birth defects in racial or ethnic minority children of women living near hazardous waste sites. Int J Hyg Environ Health 205: 19–27. , , , .
- 1999. Prenatal Screening for open neural tube defects in Maine. N Eng J Med 340: 1049–1050. , , .
- 2002. Incidence of open neural tube defects in Nova Scotia after folic acid fortification. Can Med Assoc J 167: 241–245. , , , .
- 2000. The changing prevalence of neural tube defects: A population-based study in the north of England, 1984–1996. Northern Congenital Abnormality Survey Steering Group. Paediat Perinat Epidemiol 14: 104–110. , , , .
- 2003. Vitamin B12 insufficiency and the risk of fetal neural tube defects. QJM 96: 289–295. , .
- 2002. Association of neural tube defects and folic acid food fortification in Canada. Lancet 360: 2047–2048. , , , , , .
- 2003. Nonreplication in genetic and association studies of obesity and diabetes reserach. J Nutr 133: 3323–3326. , .
- 2002. Prevention of fumonisin B1-induced neural tube defects by folic acid. Teratology 66: 169–176. , , , , , .
- 1990. Neural tube defects: Are neurulation and canalization forms causally distinct? Am J Med Genet 35: 394–396. .
- 1986. Neural tube defects: Heterogeneity and homogeneity. Am J Med Genet Suppl 2: 77–87. , .
- 1996. Risk of neural tube defect-affected pregnancies among obese women. JAMA 275: 1093–1096. , , .
- 1997. Risk for neural tube defect-affected pregnancies among women of Mexican descent and White women in California. Am J Pub Health 87: 1467–1471. , , .
- 1998. Maternal illness, including fever, and medication use as risk factors for neural tube defects. Teratology 57: 1–7. , , , .
- 1999. Maternal pesticide exposure from multiple sources and selected congenital anomalies. Epidemiology 10: 60–66. , , , , .
- 2000. Maternal height and prepregnancy body mass index as risk factors for selected congenital anomalies. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 14: 234–239. , , , .
- 2002. Maternal periconceptional vitamin use, genetic variation of infant reduced folate carrier (A80G), and risk of spina bifida. Am J Med Genet 108: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 2003. Neural tube defects associated with maternal periconceptional dietary intake of simple sugars and glycemic index. Am J Clin Nutr 78: 972–978. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The “thermolabile” variant of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase and neural tube defects: An evaluation of genetic risk and the relative importance of the genotypes of the embryo and the mother. Am J Hum Genet 64: 1045–1055. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Factors affecting mortality and morbidity in adult spina bifida. Eur J Pediatr Surg 9: 31–32. , .
- 2002. Maneuvergin the complex path from genotype to phenotype. Science 296: 701–703. .
- 2003a. Maternal stress, socal support, and risk of neural tube defects among Mexican Americans. Epidemiology 14: 612–616. , , .
- 2003b. Maternal serum B12 levels and risk for neural tube defects in a Texas-Mexico border population. Epidemiology 13: 81–88. , , , .
- 1985. Possible causal heterogeneity in spina bifida cystica. Am J Med Genet 21: 13–20. , .
- 1991. Are the neurulation and canalization forms of neural tube defects causally different? Am J Med Genet 39: 241. , .
- 1996. Impact of prenatal diagnosis and elective termination on prevalence and risk estimates of neural tube defects in California, 1989–1991. Am J Epidemiol 144: 473–479. , .
- 2003. Evaluation of infant mehylenetetrahydrofolate reductase genotype, maternal vitamin use, and risk of high versus low level spina bifida. Birth Defects Res (Part A) 67: 154–157. , , , , .
- 1994. Are obese women at higher risk for producing malformed offspring? Am J Obstet Gynecol 179: 541–548. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Is maternal obesity a risk factor for anencephaly and spina bifida? Epidemiology 7: 507–512. , , , .
- 2003. Maternal obesity and risk for birth defects. Pediatrics 111: 1152–1158. , , , , .
- 1996. Prepregnant weight in relation to risk of neural tube defects. JAMA 275: 1089–1092. , , , .
- 1999. A common variant of methionine synthase reductase combined with low cobalamin (vitamin B12) increases risk for spina bifida. Mol Genet Metab 67: 317–323. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Survival of infants with spina bififda: A population study, 1979–1994. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 15: 374–378. , .
- 2003. Homocysteine remethylation enzyme polymorphisms and increased risk for neural tube defects. Mol Genet Metab 78: 216–221. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The complex interplay among factors that influence allelic associations. Nature Rev Genet 5: 89–100. , .