F. Nipa Haque is completing her MSc in pharmacology at the University of Toronto with Dr. Albert Wong at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) in Toronto, Ontario. The focus of her research is gene–environment interaction in the development of neuropsychiatric disease.
Not really identical: Epigenetic differences in monozygotic twins and implications for twin studies in psychiatry†
Version of Record online: 17 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: The Genetics of Twinning: From Splitting Eggs to Breaking Paradigms
Volume 151C, Issue 2, pages 136–141, 15 May 2009
How to Cite
Haque, F. N., Gottesman, I. I. and Wong, A. H.C. (2009), Not really identical: Epigenetic differences in monozygotic twins and implications for twin studies in psychiatry. Am. J. Med. Genet., 151C: 136–141. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.30206
How to cite this article: Haque FN, Gottesman II, Wong AHC. 2009. Not really identical: Epigenetic differences in monozygotic twins and implications for twin studies in psychiatry. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 151C:136–141.
- Issue online: 23 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 17 APR 2009
- 2008. Restriction landmark genome scanning for the detection of mutations. Methods Mol Biol 410: 153–170. .
- 2001. Volumes of brain structures in twins discordant for schizophrenia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58: 33–40. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Contributions of Danish registers to understanding psychopathology: Thirty years of collaboration with Irving I. Gottesman. In: DiLallaLF, editor. Behavior Genetics Principles—Perspectives in Development, Personality, and Psychopathology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. pp. 123–133. .
- 1999. Emergent properties of networks of biological signaling pathways. Science 283: 381–387. , .
- 2002. Classical twin studies and beyond. Nat Rev Genet 3: 872–882. , , .
- 1990. Sources of human psychological differences: The Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart. Science 250: 223–228. , , , , .
- 2000. Twin studies of schizophrenia: From bow-and-arrow concordances to star wars Mx and functional genomics. Am J Med Genet 97: 12–17. , .
- 2001. Synergism of Xist RNA, DNA methylation, and histone hypoacetylation in maintaining X chromosome inactivation. J Cell Biol 153: 773–784. , , .
- 2007. Parent-of-origin effect and genomic imprinting of the HTR2A receptor gene T102C polymorphism in psychosis. Psychiatry Res 151: 243–248. , , , .
- 1999. Molecular characterization of a MSRV-like sequence identified by RDA from monozygotic twin pairs discordant for schizophrenia. Genomics 61: 133–144. , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular characterization of a 2.7-kb, 12q13-specific, retroviral-related sequence isolated by RDA from monozygotic twin pairs discordant for schizophrenia. Genome 45: 381–390. , , , .
- 1994. Schizophrenia and sex chromosome anomalies. Schizophr Bull 20: 495–505. , , , , , , .
- 1992. A genomic sequencing protocol that yields a positive display of 5-methylcytosine residues in individual DNA strands. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89: 1827–1831. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The environmental contribution to gene expression profiles. Nat Rev Genet 9: 575–581. .
- 1998. Regulation of X-chromosome inactivation in development in mice and humans. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 62: 362–378. , .
- 2001. Mechanisms for differences in monozygous twins. Early Hum Dev 64: 105–117. , .
- 2001. Does higher concordance in monozygotic twins than in dizygotic twins suggest a genetic component? Hum Hered 51: 121–132. .
- 2008. DISC1 mRNA expression is not influenced by common Cis-acting regulatory polymorphisms or imprinting. Am J Med Genet Part B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147B: 1065–1069. , , , .
- 1997. Exploring and explaining epigenetic effects. Trends Genet 13: 293–295. , .
- 1993. The inactive X chromosome in female mammals is distinguished by a lack of histone H4 acetylation, a cytogenetic marker for gene expression. Cell 74: 281–289. , .
- 1992. Different patterns of X inactivation in MZ twins discordant for red-green color-vision deficiency. Am J Hum Genet 51: 291–298. , , , , , , .
- 2009. DNA methylation profiles in monozygotic and dizygotic twins. Nat Genet 41: 240–245. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Retroviral RNA identified in the cerebrospinal fluids and brains of individuals with schizophrenia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 4634–4639. , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic or epigenetic difference causing discordance between monozygotic twins as a clue to molecular basis of mental disorders. Mol Psychiatry 10: 622–630. , , , , .
- 1992. A population-based twin study of major depression in women. The impact of varying definitions of illness. Arch Gen Psychiatry 49: 257–266. , , , , .
- 1999. Complexity and the nervous system. Science 284: 96–98. , .
- 1994. Fragile X syndrome and the (CGG)n mutation: Two families with discordant MZ twins. Am J Hum Genet 54: 437–442. , , , , , .
- 2001. Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome. Nature 409: 860–921. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Cloning the differences between two complex genomes. Science 259: 946–951. , .
- 2004. X inactivation as a source of behavioural differences in monozygotic female twins. Twin Res 7: 54–61. , , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide prediction of imprinted murine genes. Genome Res 15: 875–884. , , .
- 2004. The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates the Complexities of Human Thought. New York, NY: Basic Books. .
- 2002. Normal and abnormal personality traits: Evidence for genetic and environmental relationships in the Minnesota Study of Twins Reared Apart. J Pers 70: 661–693. , , , .
- 2006. Evidence for monozygotic twin (MZ) discordance in methylation level at two CpG sites in the promoter region of the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) gene. Am J Med Genet Part B Neuropsychiatr Genet 141B: 421–425. , , , , , .
- 1995. Epigenetic programming of differential gene expression in development and evolution. Dev Genet 17: 188–197. .
- 2001. Human morbid genetics revisited: Relevance of epigenetics. Trends Genet 17: 142–146. .
- 2003. Epigenetics and bipolar disorder: New opportunities and challenges. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 123C: 65–75. .
- 2006. Epigenetics and twins: Three variations on the theme. Trends Genet 22: 347–350. .
- 2000. Psychiatric epigenetics: A new focus for the new century. Mol Psychiatry 5: 342–346. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Monozygotic twins exhibit numerous epigenetic differences: Clues to twin discordance? Schizophr Bull 29: 169–178. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Gene-environment interactions in the development of complex disease phenotypes. Int J Environ Res Public Health 5: 4–11. , .
- 2005. Brain MRI abnormalities in schizophrenia: Same genes or same environment? Psychol Med 35: 1399–1409. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Differential methylation of the X-chromosome is a possible source of discordance for bipolar disorder female monozygotic twins. Am J Med Genet Part B Neuropsychiatr Genet 147B: 459–462. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Microarray-based DNA methylation profiling: Technology and applications. Nucleic Acids Res 34: 528–542. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Monozygotic twins with chromosome 22q11 deletion and discordant phenotypes: Updates with an epigenetic hypothesis. J Med Genet 39: e71. , , .
- 2003. Schizophrenia as a complex trait: Evidence from a meta-analysis of twin studies. Arch Gen Psychiatry 60: 1187–1192. , , .
- 1994. Prenatal origin of schizophrenia in a subgroup of discordant monozygotic twins. Schizophr Bull 20: 423–432. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Genomic discordance between monozygotic twins discordant for schizophrenia. Am J Psychiatry 155: 422–424. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Establishment of methylation-sensitive-representational difference analysis and isolation of hypo- and hypermethylated genomic fragments in mouse liver tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 94: 2284–2289. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Hippocampal volumes in schizophrenic twins. Arch Gen Psychiatry 61: 346–353. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Heritability in the genomics era—Concepts and misconceptions. Nat Rev Genet 9: 255–266. , , .
- 2002. Discordant KCNQ1OT1 imprinting in sets of monozygotic twins discordant for Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome. Hum Mol Genet 11: 1317–1325. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Phenotypic differences in genetically identical organisms: The epigenetic perspective. Hum Mol Genet 14: R11–R18. , , .
- 2001. Investigating stem cells in human colon by using methylation patterns. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98: 10839–10844. , , .
- 2006. Circular chromosome conformation capture (4C) uncovers extensive networks of epigenetically regulated intra- and interchromosomal interactions. Nat Genet 38: 1341–1347. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. In situ hybridization shows direct evidence of skewed X inactivation in one of monozygotic twin females manifesting Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Am J Med Genet 45: 601–605. , , .