Lise Aksglaede is MD at the department of growth and reproduction, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark. Her research is focused on Klinefelter syndrome, growth, and puberty.
47,XXY Klinefelter syndrome: Clinical characteristics and age-specific recommendations for medical management†
Article first published online: 23 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Medical and Neurodevelopmental Aspects of XXY and Related Multiple X Conditions
Volume 163, Issue 1, pages 55–63, 15 February 2013
How to Cite
Aksglaede, L., Link, K., Giwercman, A., Jørgensen, N., Skakkebæk, N. E. and Juul, A. (2013), 47,XXY Klinefelter syndrome: Clinical characteristics and age-specific recommendations for medical management. Am. J. Med. Genet., 163: 55–63. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.31349
How to Cite this Article:Aksglaede L, Link K, Giwercman A, Jørgensen N, Skakkebæk NE, Juul A. 2013. 47,XXY Klinefelter syndrome: Clinical characteristics and age-specific recommendations for medical management. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 163C: 55–63.
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 23 JAN 2013
- Interreg IVA
- 2006. Natural history of seminiferous tubule degeneration in Klinefelter syndrome. Hum Reprod Update 12:39–48. , , , , , .
- 2007a. Primary testicular failure in Klinefelter's syndrome: The use of bivariate luteinizing hormone-testosterone reference charts. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:276–281. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007b. High normal testosterone levels in infants with non-mosaic Klinefelter's syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 157:345–350. , , , , .
- 2008a. Normal bone mineral content but unfavourable muscle/fat ratio in Klinefelter syndrome. Arch Dis Child 93:30–34. , , , .
- 2008b. Abnormal sex chromosome constitution and longitudinal growth: Serum levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, IGF binding protein-3, luteinizing hormone, and testosterone in 109 males with 47, XXY, 47,XYY, or sex-determining region of the Y chromosome (SRY)-positive 46,XX karyotypes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:169–176. , , .
- 2010. Changes in anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH) throughout the life span: A population-based study of 1027 healthy males from birth (cord blood) to the age of 69 years. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:5357–5364. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011a. Serum concentrations of Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) in 95 patients with Klinefelter syndrome with or without cryptorchidism. Acta Paediatr 100:839–845. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011b. Clinical and biological parameters in 166 boys, adolescents and adults with nonmosaic Klinefelter syndrome: A Copenhagen experience. Acta Paediatr 100:793–806. , , , .
- 2012. Detection of increased gene copy number in DNA from dried blood spot samples allows efficient screening for Klinefelter syndrome. Acta Paediatr 101:561–563. , , , , , .
- 1997. Serum inhibin B in healthy pubertal and adolescent boys: Relation to age, stage of puberty, and follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, testosterone, and estradiol levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:3976–3981. , , , , , .
- 2011. Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in prepubertal boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Acta Paediatr 100:866–870. , , , .
- 2007. Establishment of testicular endocrine function impairment during childhood and puberty in boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:863–870. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Insulin-like factor 3 (INSL3) serum levels in 135 normal men and 85 men with testicular disorders: Relationship to the LH-testosterone axis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:3410–3418. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Hypothyroidism secondary to hypothalamic-pituitary dysfunction may be part of the phenotype in klinefelter syndrome: A case–control study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2478–2481. , , , .
- 2003. Prenatal and postnatal prevalence of Klinefelter syndrome: A national registry study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:622–626. , , .
- 2004. Increased mortality in Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3830–3834. , , , .
- 2006a. Morbidity in Klinefelter syndrome: A Danish register study based on hospital discharge diagnoses. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1254–1260. , , , .
- 2006b. The metabolic syndrome is frequent in klinefelter's syndrome and is associated with abdominal obesity and hypogonadism. Diabetes Care 29:1591–1598. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Bone mineral density in Klinefelter syndrome is reduced and primarily determined by muscle strength and resorptive markers, but not directly by testosterone. Osteoporos Int 22:1441–1450. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Socioeconomic trajectories affect mortality in Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:2098–2104. , , , .
- 2011. Assessment of Leydig and Sertoli cell functions in infants with nonmosaic Klinefelter syndrome: Insulin-like peptide 3 levels are normal and positively correlated with LH levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:e746–e753. , , , , , .
- 2003. Longitudinal studies of inhibin B levels in boys and young adults with Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:888–891. , , .
- 1985. Klinefelter syndrome. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 23:19–25. , .
- 1985. Sex chromosome variations in school-age children. J Sch Health 55:99–102. , .
- 2011a. Profiling insulin like factor 3 (INSL3) signaling in human osteoblasts. PLoS ONE 6:e29733. , , , , .
- 2011b. Bone mass in subjects with Klinefelter syndrome: Role of testosterone levels and androgen receptor gene CAG polymorphism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:739–745. , , , , , , , .
- 2011c. Bone density and risk of osteoporosis in Klinefelter syndrome. Acta Paediatr 100:878–884. , , .
- 1987. Osteoporosis in men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Ann Intern Med 106:354–361. , , , , ,
- 2004. A novel circulating hormone of testis origin in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5952–5958. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Comparison of adolescents with Klinefelter syndrome according to the circumstances of diagnosis: Amniocentesis versus clinical signs. Horm Res 72:98–105. , , , , , .
- 2010. Assessing the risks and benefits of diagnosing genetic conditions with variable phenotypes through population screening: Klinefelter syndrome as an example. J Commun Genet 1:41–46. , , , , .
- 2011. Postnatal screening for Klinefelter syndrome: Is there a rationale? Acta Paediatr 100:923–933. , , , .
- 1992. Osteoporosis and Klinefelter's syndrome. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 36:113–118. , , , , , .
- 2012. Fragile X-related element 2 methylation analysis may provide a suitable option for inclusion of fragile X syndrome and/or sex chromosome aneuploidy into newborn screening: A technical validation study. Genet Med [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1942. Syndrome characterized by gynecomastia, aspermatogenesis without A-Leydigism, and increased excretion of follicle-stimulating hormone. J Clin Endocrinol 2:615–627. , , .
- 2004. Inhibin B and anti-Mullerian hormone, but not testosterone levels, are normal in infants with nonmosaic Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1864–1868. , , , .
- 2004. Klinefelter's syndrome. Lancet 364:273–283. , , , .
- 2002. Early postnatal treatment of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism with recombinant human FSH and LH. Eur J Endocrinol 146:75–79. , , , .
- 1990. Follow-up of 25 unselected children with sex chromosome abnormalities to age 12. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 26:201–207. .
- 1987. Follow-up 20 years later of 34 Klinefelter males with karyotype 47,XXY and 16 hypogonadal males with karyotype 46,XY. Hum Genet 77:188–192. , .
- 1990. Sex chromosome abnormalities found among 34,910 newborn children: Results from a 13-year incidence study in Arhus, Denmark. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 26:209–223. , .
- 2010. Increased number of sex chromosomes affects height in a nonlinear fashion: A study of 305 patients with sex chromosome aneuploidy. Am J Med Genet Part A 152A:1206–1212. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997a. FISH-deletion mapping defines a 270-kb short stature critical interval in the pseudoautosomal region PAR1 on human sex chromosomes. Hum Genet 100:236–239. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997b. Pseudoautosomal deletions encompassing a novel homeobox gene cause growth failure in idiopathic short stature and Turner syndrome. Nat Genet 16:54–63. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. New roles of SHOX as regulator of target genes. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 9:733–738. , , , , .
- 1982. The sexual development of boys with the chromosome constitution 47, XXY (Klinefelter's syndrome). Clin Endocrinol Metab 11:703–716. .
- 1999. Long-term outcome in children of sex chromosome abnormalities. Arch Dis Child 80:192–195. .
- 1990. Edinburgh study of growth and development of children with sex chromosome abnormalities. IV. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 26:1–44. , , .
- 2005. Early androgen deficiency in infants and young boys with 47,XXY Klinefelter syndrome. Horm Res 64:39–45. , , , , , .
- 2008. Cognitive and motor development during childhood in boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A 146A:708–719. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Rheumatic diseases and Klinefelter's syndrome. Autoimmun Rev 6:33–36. .
- 1995. Intelligence and achievement in children with extra X aneuploidy: A longitudinal perspective. Am J Med Genet Part A 60A:356–363. , , , , .
- 1996. The psychoeducational profile of boys with Klinefelter syndrome. J Learn Disabil 29:180–196. , , , , .
- 1985. Pituitary-gonadal function in Klinefelter syndrome before and during puberty. Pediatr Res 19:82–86. , , , , , .
- 2009. Autoimmunity and Klinefelter's syndrome: When men have two X chromosomes. J Autoimmun 33:31–34. , , .
- 1974. Growth and body proportions in 54 boys and men with Klinefelter's syndrome. Helv Paediatr Acta 29:325–333. , , , , .
- 1983. Risk factors for spinal osteoporosis in men. Am J Med 75:977–983. , , , .
- 1974. Body proportions and androgenicity in relation to plasma testosterone levels in Klinefelter's syndrome. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 77:387–400. , , .
- 1992. Physical and mental development of adolescent males with Klinefelter syndrome. Horm Res 37:55–61. .
- 1959. Klinefelter's syndrome: Clinical and hormonal aspects. Q J Med 28:561–571. , , , , .
- 1982. Summary of clinical findings of children with 47,XXY,47,XYY, and 47,XXX karyotypes. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 18:1–5. , , .
- 2012. Criminality in men with Klinefelter's syndrome and XYY syndrome: A cohort study. BMJ Open 2:e000650. , , , , .
- 2001. Mortality and cancer incidence in persons with numerical sex chromosome abnormalities: A cohort study. Ann Hum Genet 65:177–188. , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Mortality in patients with Klinefelter syndrome in Britain: A cohort study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6516–6522. , , , , .
- 2005b. Cancer incidence and mortality in men with Klinefelter syndrome: A cohort study. J Natl Cancer Inst 97:1204–1210. , , , , .
- 1959. Genes on the Y chromosome influencing rate of maturation in man: Skeletal age studies in children with Klinefelter's (XXY) and Turner's (XO) syndromes. Lancet 2:141–144. , , , .
- 1976. Relative importance of growth hormone and sex steroids for the growth at puberty of trunk length, limb length, and muscle width in growth hormone-deficient children. J Pediatr 89:1000–1008. , , , .
- 2000. Metabolic syndrome X: A review. Can J Cardiol 16:779–789. , , .
- 1982. Puberty in 24 patients with Klinefelter syndrome. Eur J Pediatr 139:8–12. , , , , , .
- 1996. Cytogenetics of infertile men. Hum Reprod 11:1–24. , , , , , , , .
- 2006a. Klinefelter's syndrome (karyotype 47,XXY) and schizophrenia-spectrum pathology. Br J Psychiatry 189:459–460. , , , .
- 2006b. X Chromosomal effects on social cognitive processing and emotion regulation: A study with Klinefelter men (47,XXY). Schizophr Res 84:194–203. , , , .
- 2007. What it is said versus how it is said: Comprehension of affective prosody in men with Klinefelter (47,XXY) syndrome. J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:1065–1070. , , , , , .
- 2008a. Effects of an extra X chromosome on language lateralization: An fMRI study with Klinefelter men (47,XXY). Schizophr Res 101:17–25. , , , , , .
- 2008b. Social behavior and autism traits in a sex chromosomal disorder: Klinefelter (47XXY) syndrome. J Autism Dev Disord 38:1634–1641. , , , .
- 2004. Klinefelter syndrome in adolescence: Onset of puberty is associated with accelerated germ cell depletion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2263–2270. , , , , , .
- 2006a. Serum insulin-like factor 3 levels during puberty in healthy boys and boys with Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4705–4708. , , , , .
- 2006b. Are adolescent boys with Klinefelter syndrome androgen deficient? A longitudinal study of Finnish 47,XXY boys. Pediatr Res 59:854–859. , , , , , .
- 2006c. Immunoexpression of androgen receptor and nine markers of maturation in the testes of adolescent boys with Klinefelter syndrome: Evidence for degeneration of germ cells at the onset of meiosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:714–719. , , , .
- 2008. Effect of ascertainment and genetic features on the phenotype of Klinefelter syndrome. J Pediatr 152:716–722. , , , , , , .
- 1967. Klinefelter's syndrome, a clinical and cytogenetic study in twenty-four cases. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 113:5. , , , , .