Matthew S. Wosnitzer, M.D. is a Male Reproductive Medicine Fellow in the Department of Urology, Weill Cornell Medical College in New York, NY. His research work focuses on genetics and molecular biology of male infertility and the role of opioids and novel immunomodulators in iatrogenic hypogonadism.
Endocrinological issues and hormonal manipulation in children and men with Klinefelter syndrome†
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Medical and Neurodevelopmental Aspects of XXY and Related Multiple X Conditions
Volume 163, Issue 1, pages 16–26, 15 February 2013
How to Cite
Wosnitzer, M. S. and Paduch, D. A. (2013), Endocrinological issues and hormonal manipulation in children and men with Klinefelter syndrome. Am. J. Med. Genet., 163: 16–26. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.31350
How to Cite this Article: Wosnitzer MS, Paduch DA. 2013. Endocrinological issues and hormonal manipulation in children and men with Klinefelter syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 163C: 16–26.
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
- The Frederick J. and Theresa Dow Wallace Fund of the New York Community Trust
- Robert Dow Foundation
- 2011. Clinical and biological parameters in 166 boys, adolescents and adults with nonmosaic Klinefelter syndrome: A Copenhagen experience. Acta Paediatr 100: 793–806. , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of Leydig cell cholesterol metabolism. Contemporary endocrinology: The Leydig cell in health and disease. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. , .
- 2011. Klinefelter syndrome and short stature: An unusual combination. Endocrine 39: 294–295. , , , .
- Task Force, Endocrine Society. 2010. Testosterone therapy in men with androgen deficiency syndromes: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95: 2536–2559. , , , , , , ,
- 2007. Klinefelter syndrome in clinical practice. Nat Clin Pract Urol 4: 192–204. , .
- 2003. Prenatal and postnatal prevalence of Klinefelter syndrome: A national registry study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 622–626. , , .
- 2010. Klinefelter's syndrome, type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome: The impact of body composition. Mol Hum Reprod 16: 396–401. , , .
- 2011. Genotype and phenotype in Klinefelter syndrome—Impact of androgen receptor polymorphism and skewed X inactivation. Int J Androl 34: e642–e648. , , .
- 2011. Assessment of Leydig and Sertoli cell functions in infants with nonmosaic Klinefelter syndrome: Insulin-like peptide 3 levels are normal and positively correlated with LH levels. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96: e746–e753. , , , , , .
- 2010. Fertility preservation in adolescents with Klinefelter's syndrome. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 8: 178–181. , .
- 2000. Delayed closure of epiphyseal cartilages induced by the aromatase inhibitor anastrozole. Would it help short children grow up? J Endocrinol Invest 23: 721–723. , , .
- 2012. Chromosomal defects in infertile men with poor semen quality. J Assist Reprod Genet 29: 451–456. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Testosterone replacement therapy following radical prostatectomy. J Sex Med 6: 1165–1170. , , , , , , .
- 1942. Syndrome characterized by gynecomastia, aspermatogenesis without a-Leydigism and increased secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2: 615–624. , , .
- 1992. The influence of testosterone substitution on bone mineral density in patients with Klinefelter's syndrome. Exp Clin Endocrinol 100: 129–132. , , , , .
- 2004. Inhibin B and anti-Mullerian hormone, but not testosterone levels, are normal in infants with nonmosaic Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 1864–1868. , , , .
- 1999. Br Osteoporosis and fractures in Turner syndrome-importance of growth promoting and oestrogen therapy. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 51: 497–502. , , , .
- 2004. Klinefelter's syndrome. Lancet 364: 273–283. , , , .
- 2012. Klinefelter syndrome: An argument for early aggressive hormonal and fertility management. Fertil Steril 98: 274–283. , .
- 1993. Radiologic abnormalities of the sternum in Turner's syndrome. Chest 104: 1795–1799. , , , .
- 2012. Methylation-specific PCR allows for fast diagnosis of X chromosome disomy and reveals skewed inactivation of the X chromosome in men with Klinefelter syndrome. J Androl 33: 955–962. , , , , , .
- 1968. Chromatin-positive Klinefelter's syndrome. A quantitative analysis of spermatogonial deficiency at 3, 4 and 12 months of age. Fertil Steril 19: 731–739. , , , .
- 1995. Quantified testicular histology in boys with sex chromosome abnormalities. Int J Androl 18: 57–62. , , .
- 2012. The natural history of endocrine function and spermatogenesis in Klinefelter syndrome: What the data show. Fertil Steril 98: 266–273. .
- 2009. Reproduction in men with Klinefelter syndrome: The past, the present, and the future. Semin Reprod Med 27: 137–148. , , , .
- 1998. Births after intracytoplasmic injection of sperm obtained by testicular extraction from men with nonmosaic Klinefelter's syndrome. N Engl J Med 338: 588–590. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Strategies and advantages of early diagnosis in Klinefelter's syndrome. Mol Hum Reprod 16: 434–440. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Aromatase inhibitors for male infertility. J Urol 167: 624–629. , .
- 2005. Structural and functional changes to the testis after conventional versus microdissection testicular sperm extraction. Urology 65: 1190–1194. , , .
- 2009. Successful fertility treatment for Klinefelter's syndrome. J Urol 182: 1108–1113. , , , , , .
- 1994. Prenatal testosterone levels in XXY and XYY males. Horm Res 42: 106–109. , , , , , .
- 1991. Immunohistochemical and quantitative study of interstitial and intratubular Leydig cells in normal men, cryptorchidism, and Klinefelter's syndrome. J Pathol 164: 299–306. , , , , .
- 2008. Cognitive and motor development during childhood in boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A 146A: 708–719. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Short stature in a patient with Klinefelter syndrome and growth hormone deficiency. Am J Med Genet 49: 244–246. , .
- 1989. Testosterone therapy in Klinefelter's syndrome (a prolonged observation). Andrologia 21: 535–541. .
- 1985. Pituitary-gonadal function in Klinefelter syndrome before and during puberty. Pediatr Res 19: 82–86. , , , , , .
- 2001. Mental development in polysomy X Klinefelter syndrome (47,XXY; 48,XXXY): Effects of incomplete X inactivation. Semin Reprod Med 19: 193–202. .
- 2005. Success of testicular sperm extraction [corrected] and intracytoplasmic sperm injection in men with Klinefelter syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90: 6263–6267. , , , , , .
- 2012. Aromatase inhibitors for male infertility. Fertil Steril 98: 1358–1362. .
- 2009. Focal spermatogenesis originates in euploid germ cells in classical Klinefelter patients. Hum Reprod 24: 2353–2360. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Klinefelter syndrome. Arch Intern Med 158: 1309–1314. , .
- 2003. The effects of three-month intravenous ibandronate on bone mineral density and bone remodeling in Klinefelter's syndrome: The influence of vitamin D deficiency and hormonal status. Bone 33: 589–596. , , .
- 2008. Androgen decline in patients with nonobstructive azoospermia after microdissection testicular sperm extraction. Urology 72: 114–118. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Fertility in a 47,XXY patient: Assessment of biological paternity by deoxyribonucleic acid fingerprinting. Fertil Steril 58: 821–822. , , , , .
- 2001. Bone mineral density and quantitative ultrasound parameters in patients with Klinefelter's syndrome after long-term testosterone substitution. Osteoporos Int 12: 55–62. , , , , , .
- 2011. Klinefelter syndrome. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 25: 239–250. , .
- 2004. Klinefelter syndrome in adolescence: Onset of puberty is associated with accelerated germ cell depletion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89: 2263–2270. , , , , , .
- 2007. Immunoexpression of androgen receptor and nine markers of maturation in the testes of adolescent boys with Klinefelter syndrome: Evidence for degeneration of germ cells at the onset of meiosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92: 714–719. , , , .
- 1990. Androgen therapy in Klinefelter syndrome during adolescence. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 26: 235–245. .
- 1993. Loss of bone mass in patients with Klinefelter's syndrome despite sufficient testosterone replacement. Osteoporos Int 3: 3–7. , , .
- 2012. TEX11 modulates germ cell proliferation by competing with estrogen receptor beta for the binding to HPIP. Mol Endocrinol 26: 630–642. , , , .
- 2008. Disorders of childhood and adolescence: Gender and psychopathology. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 4: 275–303. , , .
- 2001. A high density of X-linked genes for general cognitive ability: A run-away process shaping human evolution? Trends Genet 17: 697–701. , , , , , .