Margaret M. McCarthy, PhD is Professor and Chair of the Department of Pharmacology at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She studies the developmental origins of sex differences in the brain and its relevance to mental illness, neurodevelopmental disorders, and brain injury in an animal model.
Sexual differentiation of the brain in man and animals: Of relevance to Klinefelter syndrome?†
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Medical and Neurodevelopmental Aspects of XXY and Related Multiple X Conditions
Volume 163, Issue 1, pages 3–15, 15 February 2013
How to Cite
McCarthy, M. M. (2013), Sexual differentiation of the brain in man and animals: Of relevance to Klinefelter syndrome?. Am. J. Med. Genet., 163: 3–15. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.31351
How to Cite this Article: McCarthy MM. 2013. Sexual differentiation of the brain in man and animals: Of relevance to Klinefelter syndrome? Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 163C: 3–15.
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
- 2011. Sex differences in the cerebellum and frontal cortex: Roles of estrogen receptor alpha and sex chromosome genes. Neuroendocrinology 93: 230–240. , , .
- 2009. Brain sex differences and the organisation of juvenile social play behaviour. J Neuroendocrinol 21: 519–525. , .
- 2003. The aromatase knockout (ArKO) mouse provides new evidence that estrogens are required for the development of the female brain. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1007: 251–262. , , , .
- 2010. Early life programming and neurodevelopmental disorders. Biol Psychiatry 68: 314–319. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. New insights into the regulation and function of brain estrogen synthase (aromatase). TINS 21: 243–249. , .
- 2007. Early diagnosis of 5alpha-reductase deficiency in newborns. Sexual development: Genetics, molecular biology, evolution, endocrinology, embryology, and pathology of sex determination and differentiation Sex Dev (Sexual Development) 1: 147–151. , , , , , .
- 2010. Sex differences in the correlation of emotional control and amygdala volumes in adolescents. Neuroreport 21: 953–957. , , .
- 2010. A developmental sex difference in hippocampal neurogenesis is mediated by endogenous oestradiol. Biol Sex Differ 1: 8. , , .
- 2012. Foxp2 mediates sex differences in ultrasonic vocalization by rat pups and directs order of maternal retrieval. J Neurosci (in press). , , , .
- 1990. Functional characterization of naturally occurring mutant androgen receptors from subjects with complete androgen insensitivity. Mol Endocrinol 4: 1759–1772. , , , , , .
- 1998. Stem cells and neurogenesis in the adult brain. Curr Opin Neurobiol 8: 677–680. , .
- 2008. Epigenetic mechanisms and the transgernational effects of maternal care. Front Neuroendocrinol 29: 386–397. .
- 2012. Interplay between social experiences and the genome: Epigenetic consequences for behavior. Adv Genet 77: 33–57. .
- 2005. Prenatal sex hormone effects on child and adult sex-typed behavior: Methods and findings. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 29: 353–384. , , .
- 2005. Sexually dimorphic synaptic organization of the medial amygdala. J Neurosci 25: 10759–10767. , .
- 1999. A brain sexual dimorphism controlled by adult circulating androgens. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 7538–7540. , , .
- 2000. Post-weaning social isolation of male rats reduces the volume of the medial amygdala and leads to deficits in adult sexual behavior. Behav Brain Res 117: 107–113. , , .
- 2008. Epigenetics and its implications for behavioral neuroendocrinology. Front Neuroendo 29: 344–357. .
- 1997. Neurobiology of fear responses: The role of the amygdala. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 9: 382–402. .
- 2008. Steroids, sex and the cerebellar cortex: Implications for human disease. Cerebellum 7: 38–47. , .
- 2012a. Prostaglandin E2 is an endogenous modulator of cerebellar development and complex behavior during a sensitive postnatal period. Eur J Neurosci 35: 1218–1229. , , , .
- 2012b. Prostaglandin E2 stimulates estradiol synthesis in the cerebellum postnatally with associated effects on purkinje neuron dendritic arbor and electrophysiological properties. Endocrinology 153: 5415–5427. , , , , , .
- 1985. Sexual orientation after prenatal exposure to exogenous estrogen. Arch Sex Behav 14: 57–77. , , , , , , .
- 1989. The development of gender-related behavior in females following prenatal exposure to diethylstilbestrol (DES). Horm Behav 23: 526–541. , , , , , , .
- 2012. Depression and hippocampal neurogenesis: A road to remission? Science 338: 72–75. , .
- 2007. Hippocampus-dependent learning promotes survival of new neurons in the dentate gyrus at a specific time during cell maturation. Neuroscience 149: 273–285. , , .
- 2009. FOXP2 as a molecular window into speech and language. Trends Genet 25: 166–177. , .
- 2002. Critical role of the hippocampus in memory for sequences of events. Nat Neurosci 5: 458–462. , , .
- 1990. Molecular basis of androgen insensitivity. Recent Prog Horm Res 46: 1–38; discussion 38–42. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Adult neurogenesis: Optimizing hippocampal function to suit the environment. Behav Brian Res 227: 380–383. , , .
- 1990. Gonadal steroids regulate dendritic spine density in hippocampal pyramidal cells in adulthood. J Neurosci 10: 1286–1291. , , , .
- 2012. Decoding the genetics of speech and language. Curr Opin Neurobiol December 7, 2012. pii: S0959-4388 (12)00178-X. DOI: 10.1016/j.conb.2012.11.006 [Epub ahead of print]. , .
- 2012. Klinefelter syndrome—A clinical update. J Endocrinol Metab November 1, 2012 [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , .
- 2008. Role of androgens and the androgen receptor in remodeling of spine synapses in limbic brain areas. Horm Behav 53: 638–646. , , .
- 2011. Depression, antidepressants, and neurogenesis: A critical reappraisal. Neuropsychopharmacology 36: 2589–2602. , , .
- 2002. Sexual differentiation of human brain and behavior. In: Pfaff D, editors. Hormones, brain and behavior. London, UK: Academic Press. pp 425–462. .
- 2004. Brain gender. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 2004. Adult male rat hippocampus synthesizes estradiol from pregnenolone by cytochromes P45017alpha and P450 aromatase localized in neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101: 865–870. , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Estradiol acutely suppresses inhibition in the hippocampus through a sex-specific endocannabinoid and mGluR-dependent mechanism. Neuron 74: 801–808. , .
- 2001. Sex differences in children's free drawings: A study on girls with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Horm Behav 40: 99–104. , , , .
- 2010. Infants' preferences for toys, colors, and shapes: Sex differences and similarities. Arch Sex Behav 39: 1261–1273. , , .
- 2012. Diethylstilbestrol and risk of psychiatric disorders: A critical review and new insights. World J Biol Psychiatry 13: 84–95. , .
- 2004. Molecular abnormalities of the hippocampus in severe psychiatric illness: Postmortem findings from the Stanley Neuropathology Consortium. Mol Psychiatry 9: 609–620, 544. , , , , .
- 2007. Developmental time-course of estradiol and testosterone levels in the rat brain: Investigating the importance of sex. submitted. , .
- 2010. Sex difference in cell proliferation in developing rat amygdala mediated by endocannabinoids has implications for social behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107: 20535–20540. , , , .
- 2005. A previously uncharacterized role for estrogen receptor beta: Defeminization of male brain and behavior. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102: 4608–4612. , , , .
- 2001. A forkhead-domain gene is mutated in a severe speech and language disorder. Nature 413: 519–523. , et al.
- 2012. Testosterone measured in infancy predicts subsequent sex-typed behavior in boys and in girls. Horm Behav 61: 611–616. , , , , , .
- 2004. Androgens increase spine synapse density in the CA1 hippocampal subfield of ovariectomized female rats. J Neurosci 24: 495–499. , , .
- 2006. Androgen modulation of hippocampal synaptic plasticity. Neuroscience 138: 957–965. , , , .
- 2012. Requirement of adult-born neurons for hippocampus-dependent learning. Behav Brain Res 227: 391–399. , .
- 2011. Histone deacetylation during brain development is essential for permanent masculinization of sexual behavior. Endocrinology 152: 2760–2767. , , , , , .
- 2008. Estradiol and the developing brain. Physiol Rev 88: 91–124. .
- 2010. How it's made: Organisational effects of hormones on the developing brain. J Neuroendocrinol 22: 736–742. .
- 2011. Reframing sexual differentiation of the brain. Nat Neurosci 14: 677–683. , .
- 2009. The epigenetics of sex differences in the brain. J Neurosci 29: 12815–12823. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Sex differences in the brain: The not so inconvenient truth. J Neurosci 32: 2241–2247. , , , , .
- 2012. 17β-Estradiol, but not estrone, increases the survival and activation of new neurons in the hippocampus in response to spatial memory in adult female rats. Horm Behav October 12, 2012, DOI: pii: S0018-506X(12)00246-2.10.1016/j.yhbeh.2012.09.011 [Epub ahead of print]. , , .
- 2007. Physiology and neurobiology of stress and adaptation: Central role of the brain. Physiol Rev 87: 873–904. .
- 1983. Sexual differentiation of social play in rat pups is mediated by neonatal androgen-receptor system. Neuroendocrinology 37: 85–90. , , , .
- 2012. The organizational and aromatization hypotheses apply to rapid, nonclassical hormone action: Neonatal masculinization eliminates rapid estradiol action in female hippocampal neurons. Endocrinology 153: 4616–4621. , , .
- 1988. Ontogenetic development of the 5 alpha-reductase in the rat brain: Cerebral cortex, hypothalamus, purified myelin and isolated oligodendrocytes. Brain Res Dev Brain Res 44: 181–188. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Male pseudohermaphroditism due to primary 5 alpha-reductase deficiency: Variation in gender identity reversal in seven Mexican patients from five different pedigrees. J Endocrinol Invest 18: 205–213. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Gender and sexuality in classic congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 30: 155–171, viii. .
- 2004. Sexual differentiation of the vertebrate nervous system. Nat Neurosci 7: 1034–1039. , , .
- 2011. Regulation of MET by FOXP2, genes implicated in higher cognitive dysfunction and autism risk. J Neurosci 31: 11437–11442. , et al.
- 2011. Epigenetic underpinnings of developmental sex differences in the brain. Neuroendocrinology 93: 150–158. , .
- 1959. Organizing action of prenatally administered testosterone proprionate on the tissues mediating mating behavior in the female guinea pig. Endocrinology 65: 369–382. , et al.
- 2003. Para/Autocrine regulation of estrogen receptors in hippocampal neurons. Hippocampus 13: 226–234. , , , .
- 2001. Pubertal and seasonal plasticity in the amygdala. Brain Res 889: 71–77. , .
- 2002. Estrogen up-regulates estrogen receptor alpha and synaptophysin in slice cultures of rat hippocampus. Neuroscience 113: 167–175. , , , , , .
- 2011. Effects of short-course androgen therapy on the neurodevelopmental profile of infants and children with 49,XXXXY syndrome. Acta paediatrica 100: 861–865. , , , , , .
- 2012. Positive effects of short course androgen therapy on the neurodevelopmental outcome in boys with 47,XXY Syndrome at 36 and 72 months of age. Am J Med Genet (in press). , , , , , , .
- 2011. Corridors of migrating neurons in the human brain and their decline during infancy. Nature 478: 382–386. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Steroid-induced sexual differentiation of the brain: Multiple pathways, one goal. J Neurochem 105: 1561–1572. , .
- 2010. Knockdown of FoxP2 alters spine density in Area X of the zebra finch. Genes Brain Behav 9: p. 732–40. , et al.
- 2010. Developmental and hormone-induced epigenetic changes to estrogen and progesterone receptor genes in brain are dynamic across the life span. Endocrinology 151: 4871–4881. , , .
- 2006. Stressful experience and learning across the lifespan. Annu Rev Psychol 57: 55–85. .
- 2001. Sex differences and opposite effects of stress on dendritic spine density in the male versus female hippocampus. J Neurosci 21: 6292–6297. , , .
- 2012. Use it or lose it: How neurogenesis keeps the brain fit for learning. Behav Brain Res 227: 450–458. , , , .
- 2005. Sex differences in intrinsic aptitude for mathematics and science?: A critical review. Am Psychol 60: 950–958. .
- 1998. Stress inhibits the proliferation of granule cell precursors in the developing dentate gyrus. Int J Dev Neurosci 16: 235–239. , , .
- 2005. Prostaglandin-E2: A point of divergence in estradiol- mediated sexual differentiation. Horm Behav 48: 512–521. , , .
- 2009. Sex differences in histone modifications in the neonatal mouse brain. Epigenetics 4: 47–53. , , .
- 2011. Foxp2 regulates gene networks implicated in neurite outgrowth in the developing brain. PLoS Genet 7: e 1002145. , et al.
- 2012. Aromatase inhibition abolishes LTP generation in female but not in male mice. J Neurosci 32: 8116–8126. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Hormonal influences on sexually differentiated behavior in nonhuman primates. Front Neuroendocrinol 26: 7–26. .
- 2002. Masculinization and defeminization in altricial and precocial mammals: Comparative aspects of steroid hormone action. In: Pfaff D, editors. Hormones brain and behavior. London, UK: Academic Press. pp 385–424. , .
- 2012. Are there parental socialization effects on the sex-typed behavior of individuals with congenital adrenal hyperplasia? Arch Sex Behav July 19, 2012 [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , .
- 2007. Acute effects of estrogen on neuronal physiology. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 47: 657–680. .
- 1992. Estradiol mediates fluctuation in hippocampal synapse density during the estrous cycle in the adult rat. J Neurosci 12: 2549–2554. , .
- 2012. Neural stem cells: Mechanisms and modeling. Protein Cell 3: 251–261. , , .
- 2008. Impact of sex and hormones on new cells in the developing rat hippocampus: A novel source of sex dimorphism? Eur J Neurosci 27: 791–800. , , , .