Andrea Gropman, M.D., is an Associate Professor of Neurology and Pediatrics at the George Washington University of the Health Sciences and an attending at the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC. She is the Chief of the division of Neurogenetics and Neurodevelopmental Pediatrics. She is involved in clinical and molecular testing of patients with Neurogenetic conditions and her research is focused on neurological and neurodevelopmental phenotyping of genetic conditions. She also performs research using neuroimaging in children and adults with inborn errors of metabolism.
Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Medical and Neurodevelopmental Aspects of XXY and Related Multiple X Conditions
Volume 163, Issue 1, pages 35–43, 15 February 2013
How to Cite
Gropman, A. and Samango-Sprouse, C. A. (2013), Neurocognitive variance and neurological underpinnings of the X and Y chromosomal variations. Am. J. Med. Genet., 163: 35–43. doi: 10.1002/ajmg.c.31352
Conflict of interest: None.
How to Cite this Article: Gropman A, Samango-Sprouse CA. 2013. Neurocognitive variance and neurological underpinnings of the X and Y chromosomal variations. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 163C: 35–43.
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 18 JAN 2013
- 2004. Sex chromosomes and brain gender. Nature Rev Neurosci 5: 701–708. .
- 2009. Psychiatric characteristics in a self-selected sample of boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Pediatrics 123: e865–e870. , , , .
- 2010. Organizational effects of fetal testosterone on human corpus callosum size and asymmetry. Psychoneuroendocrinology 35: 122–132. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Incidence of fragile X syndrome by newborn screening for methylated FMR1 DNA. Am J Hum Genet 85: 503–514. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Sex chromosome variations in school-age children. J Sch Health 55: 99–102. , .
- 1990. Brief report: A 48XXXY/49XXXXY male with expressive speech defect. J Autism Dev Disord 20: 577–580. , , , , .
- 2003. Clinical findings and phenotype in a toddler with 48, XXYY syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A. 119A: 393–394. .
- 2005. Klinefelter's syndrome (XXY) as a genetic model for psychotic disorders. Am J Med Genet Part B 135B: 15–23. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. 48,XXYY syndrome in a boy with essential tremor. Comparison with 120 cases from the literature. Monatsschr Kinderheilkd 140: 216–219. , , , , .
- 1982. A cytogenetic survey of 14,069 newborn infants. IV. Further follow-up on the children with sex chromosome anomalies. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 18: 169–184. , , , , .
- 1995. XYY syndrome and other Y chromosome polysomies. Mental status and psychosocial functioning. Genet Couns 6: 197–206. , , , .
- 1975. Case studies of three “XXYY” children. Br J Disord Commun 10: 17–30. , .
- 2007. Androgens and the brain. Maturitas 57: 27–30. , , , , .
- 1997. Sexual dimorphism of the developing human brain. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 21: 1185–1201. , , , , .
- 2007. XXY (Klinefelter syndrome): A pediatric quantitative brain magnetic resonance imaging case–control study. Pediatrics 119: e232–e240. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Molecular studies of a patient with complete androgen insensitivity and a 47, XXY karyotype. J Pediatr 155: 439–443. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Clinical variability and novel neurodevelopmental findings in 49, XXXXY syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A 152A: 1523–1530. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The origin of human aneuploidy: Where we have been, where we are going. Hum Mol Genet 16: R203–R208. , , .
- 1971. 49, XXXXY chromosomal anomaly in a neonate. J Med Genet 8: 220–221. , , , .
- 2006. Prenatal testosterone and gender-related behaviour Eur J Endocrinol 155: S115–S121. .
- 2008. Brain magnetic resonance imaging findings in 49, XXXXY syndrome. Pediatr Neurol 38: 450–453. , , , .
- 2006. The structural brain correlates of cognitive deficits in adults with Klinefelter's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91: 1423–1427. .
- 2003. Functional neuroimaging provides evidence of anomalous cerebral laterality in adults with Klinefelter's syndrome. Ann Neurol 54: 669–673. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Improvement of peripheral neuropathy by testosterone in a patient with 48, XXYY syndrome. Tokai J Exp Clin Med 25: 39–44. , .
- 1988. X-chromosome polysomy in the male. The Leuven experience 1966–1987. Hum Genet 80: 16–22. , , .
- 2006. Fetal testosterone and sex differences in typical social development and in autism. J Child Neurol 21: 825–845. , .
- 2004. Klinefelter's syndrome. Lancet 364: 273–283. , , , .
- 1994. Parental origin of the extra chromosomes in polysomy X. Hum Genet 94: 423–426. , , , , .
- 2010. Neurocognitive outcomes of individuals with a sex chromosome trisomy: XXX, XYY, or XXY: A systematic review. Dev Med Child Neurol 52: 119–129. , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of sex chromosome aneuploidies on brain development: Evidence from neuroimaging studies. Dev Disabil Res Rev 15: 318–327. , , .
- 1995. Sex chromosome tetrasomy and pentasomy. Pediatrics 96: 672–682. , , .
- 1961. Abnormalities of sex chromosome constitution in newborn babies. Lancet 2: 406–408. , , .
- 2006. Adaptive and maladaptive behavior in children with Smith–Magenis syndrome. J Autism Dev Disord 36: 541–552. , , .
- 1973. 49, XXXXY karyotype in mentally retarded boy. J Ment Defic Res 17: 73–80. , , , .
- 1986. Summary overview of behavioural development in individuals with neonatally identified X and Y aneuploidy. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 22: 293–306. .
- 1990. Sex chromosome abnormalities found among 34,910 newborn children: Results from a 13-year incidence study in Arhus, Denmark. Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser 26: 209–223. , .
- 1987. Follow-up 20 years later of 34 Klinefelter males with karyotype 47, XXY and 16 hypogonadal males with karyotype 46,XY Hum Genet 77: 188–192. , .
- 1994. The 48, XXYY syndrome: A case detected by maternal serum alpha-fetoprotein screening. Prenat Diagn 14: 644–645. , , , .
- 1982. 49, XXXXY syndrome. Am J Med Genet 13: 337–339. .
- 2000. Brain morphology in Klinefelter syndrome: Extra X chromosome and testosterone supplementation. Neurology 54: 2218–2223. , , , , .
- 2002. Reduced size of the amygdala in individuals with 47,XXY and 47, XXX karyotypes. Am J Med Genet 114: 93–98. , , , , , .
- 1998. 49, XXXXY: A distinct phenotype. Three new cases and review. J Med Genet 35: 420–424. , , .
- 1982. Speech and learning disorders in children with sex chromosome abnormalities. Dev Med Child Neurol 24: 80–84. .
- 1979. Additional pedigree supporting the frequent origin of XXYY from consecutive meiotic non-disjunction in paternal gametogenesis. J Med Genet 16: 225–226. , , , .
- 2005. X-linked mental retardation. Nat Rev Genet 6: 46–57. , .
- 2008. Cognitive and motor development during childhood in boys with Klinefelter syndrome. Am J Med Genet Part A 146A: 708–719. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Intelligence and achievement in children with extra X aneuploidy: A longitudinal perspective. Am J Med Genet 60: 356–363. , , , , .
- 1996. The psychoeducational profile of boys with Klinefelter syndrome. J Learn Disabil 29: 180–196. , , , , .
- 2001. Mental development in polysomy X Klinefelter syndrome (47, XXY; 48, XXXY): Effects of incomplete X inactivation. Semin Reprod Med 19: 193–202. .
- 2002. XXY the hidden disability and a prototype for an infantile presentation of developmental dyspraxia (IDD) Infants Young Child 15: 11–18. , .
- 2011. Effects of short-course androgen therapy on the neurodevelopmental profile of infants and children with 49, XXXXY syndrome. Acta Paediat 100: 861–865. , , , , , .
- Positive effects of short course androgen therapy on the neurodevelopmental outcome in boys with 47, XXY syndrome at 36 and 72 months of age. Am J Med Gen (in press). , , , , , , .
- 1965. Studies on a boy with XXYY chromosome constitution. Pediatrics 36: 113–119. , , , .
- 1990. Developmental outcome in 49, XXXXY Klinefelter syndrome. Dev Med Child Neurol 32: 532–539. , , .
- 2003. Klinefelter syndrome: Expanding the phenotype and identifying new research directions. Genet Med 5: 460–468. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. X-linked genes and mental functioning. Hum Mol Genet 14: R27–R32. .
- 1992. Physical and mental development of adolescent males with Klinefelter syndrome. Horm Res 37: 55–61. .
- 1978. The 48, XXYY syndrome. J Ment Defic Res 22: 197–205. , , , .
- 2009. Structural and functional neuroimaging in Klinefelter (47, XXY) syndrome: A review of the literature and preliminary results from a functional magnetic resonance imaging study of language. Dev Disabil Res Rev 15: 295–308. , , , , .
- 2008. A new look at XXYY syndrome: Medical and psychological features. Am J Med Genet Part A 146A: 1509–1522. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. 48, XXYY, 48, XXXY and 49, XXXXY syndromes: Not just variants of Klinefelter syndrome. Acta Paediatr 100: 851–860. , , , , .
- 2012. The construct of adaptive behavior: Its conceptualization, measurement, and use in the field of intellectual disability. Am J Intellect Dev Disabil 117: 291–303. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Klinefelter's syndrome (karyotype 47, XXY) and schizophrenia-spectrum pathology. Br J Psychiatry 189: 459–460. , , , .
- 2008. Effects of an extra X chromosome on language lateralization: An fMRI study with Klinefelter men (47, XXY) Schizophr Res 101: 17–25. , , , , , .
- 1984. Mental illness, epilepsy and hypothyroidism in XXYY syndrome. Br J Psychiatry 144: 668. .
- 2004. Gender-specific gene expression in postmortem human brain: Localization to sex chromosomes. Neuropsychopharmacology 29: 373–384. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Klinefelter's syndrome and psychoneurologic function. Mol Hum Reprod 16: 425–433. , , , , .
- 2006. Klinefelter syndrome and other sex chromosomal aneuploidies. Orphanet J Rare Dis 24: 42. ,
- 2007. Behavioral phenotype of sex chromosome aneuploidies: 48, XXYY, 48, XXXY, and 49, XXXXY. Am J Med Genet Part A 143A: 1198–1203. , , , ,
- 1999. Volumetric magnetic resonance imaging study of the brain in subjects with sex chromosome aneuploidies. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 66: 628–632. , , , , , .
- 2009. Transcriptome analysis of male–female differences in prefrontal cortical development. Mol Psychiatry 14: 558–561. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. XXYY syndrome discovered on routine physical examination. J Adolesc Health Care 1: 60–62. .
- 2003. Two 48, XXYY patients: Clinical, cytogenetic and molecular aspects. Ann Genet 46: 479–481. , , , .