K.N. Lazaridis M.D. is a Consultant Hepatologist and the Enterprise Director of the Mayo Individualized Medicine Clinic. His research work focuses on the genetics of cholestatic liver diseases.
Implementing individualized medicine into the medical practice
Article first published online: 10 MAR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Implementation of Genomic Medicine
Volume 166, Issue 1, pages 15–23, March 2014
How to Cite
2014. Implementing individualized medicine into the medical practice. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 166C:15–23., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
Disclosures: Dr. R. Fonseca has received a patent for the prognostication of multiple myeloma based on genetic categorization of the disease. He has received consulting fees from Medtronic, Otsuka, Celgene, Genzyme, BMS, Lilly, Onyx, Binding Site, Millennium and AMGEN. He also has sponsored research from Cylene and Onyx.
* Correspondence to: Gianrico Farrugia, M.D., Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 10 MAR 2014
- 2012. Genomic medicine: Challenges and opportunities for physicians. Clin Med 12:416–419. , , .
- 2011. Personalized medicine: Progress and promise. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 12:217–244. , .
- 2010. New therapeutic approaches to Mendelian disorders. N Engl J Med 363:852–863. .
- 2013. Challenges in implementing genomic medicine: The Mayo Clinic Center for Individualized Medicine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 94:204–206. , .
- 2011. Genomics education for health care professionals in the 21st century. J Am Med Assoc 306:989–990. , .
- National Human Genome Research I. 2011. Charting a course for genomic medicine from base pairs to bedside. Nature 470:204–213. , ,
- 2007. Educating health-care professionals about genetics and genomics. Nat Rev Genet 8:151–157. , , .
- 2010. Personalized genomic information: Preparing for the future of genetic medicine. Nat Rev Genet 11:161–165. , , , .
- 2012. Survey of US public attitudes toward pharmacogenetic testing. Pharmacogenomics J 12:197–204. , , , , .
- 2012. Genetic counseling for personal genomic testing: Optimizing client uptake of post-test telephonic counseling services. J Genet Counsel 21:462–468. , , , .
- 2010. Genomewide association studies and assessment of the risk of disease. N Engl J Med 363:166–176. .
- 2013. Implementing genomic medicine in the clinic: The future is here. Genet Med 15:258–267. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Genomic medicine: A decade of successes, challenges, and opportunities. Sci Transl Med 5:189sr4. , , .
- 2012. Adoption of pharmacogenomic testing by US physicians: Results of a nationwide survey. Clin Pharmacol Ther 91:450–458. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Structural variation in the human genome and its role in disease. Annu Rev Med 61:437–455. , .
- 2009. The cancer genome. Nature 458:719–724. , , .
- 2002. Genetic counselling in the era of genomic medicine. EMBO Rep 3:590–593. .
- 2003. Ethical, legal, and social implications of genomic medicine. N Engl J Med 349:562–569. .