Emily A. Edelman, M.S., C.G.C. was a Project Director at the National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics (NCHPEG) when this work was conducted. Ms. Edelman is a board certified genetic counselor with a background in healthcare provider education. She is currently the Associate Director of Clinical & Continuing Education at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, where she continues her work in the development, implementation, and evaluation of genomic education and resources.
Implementation of an electronic genomic and family health history tool in primary prenatal care
Article first published online: 10 MAR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics
Special Issue: Implementation of Genomic Medicine
Volume 166, Issue 1, pages 34–44, March 2014
How to Cite
2014. Implementation of an electronic genomic and family health history tool in primary prenatal care. Am J Med Genet Part C Semin Med Genet 166C:34–44., , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
Conflicts of interest: none.
* Correspondence to: Emily Edelman, M.S., National Coalition for Health Professional Education in Genetics, 2360 W Joppa Road, Suite 320, Lutherville, MD 21093. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 10 MAR 2014
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). Grant Number: #U33MC12786
- 2000. Family history-taking in community family practice: Implications for genetic screening. Genet Med 2:180–185. , , , , .
- ACOG. 2005. ACOG committee opinion. Number 318, October 2005. Screening for Tay–Sachs disease. Obstet Gynecol 106:893–894.
- ACOG. 2007. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 78: Hemoglobinopathies in pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 109:229–237.
- ACOG. 2009. ACOG Committee Opinion No. 442: Preconception and prenatal carrier screening for genetic diseases in individuals of Eastern European Jewish descent. Obstet Gynecol 114:950–953.
- ACOG. 2010. ACOG Committee Opinion No. 469: Carrier screening for fragile X syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 116:1008–1010.
- ACOG. 2011a. ACOG Committee Opinion No. 486: Update on carrier screening for cystic fibrosis. Obstet Gynecol 117:1028–1031.
- ACOG. 2011b. Committee Opinion No. 478: Family history as a risk assessment tool. Obstet Gynecol 117:747–750.
- 2013. Use of a web-based risk appraisal tool for assessing family history and lifestyle factors in primary care. J Gen Intern Med 28:817–824. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Cystic fibrosis carrier screening in obstetric clinical practice: Knowledge, practices, and barriers, a decade after publication of screening guidelines. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 15:517–523. , , , .
- 2013. Evaluation of a novel electronic genetic screening and clinical decision support tool in prenatal clinical settings. Matern Child Health J epub ahead of print. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A practical, robust implementation and sustainability model (PRISM) for integrating research findings into practice. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 34:228–243. , .
- 2000. Practice parameter: Screening and diagnosis of autism: Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Child Neurology Society. Neurology 55:468–479. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Evidence-based classification of recommendations on use of genomic tests in clinical practice: Dealing with insufficient evidence. Genet Med 12:680–683. , , .
- 2009. Guidelines for genetic risk assessment of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer: Early disagreements and low utilization. J Gen Intern Med 24:822–828. , , .
- 2013. Personalizing prenatal care using family health history: Identifying and integrating a panel of conditions into a novel screening tool. Personalized Med 10:307–318. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic counseling for fragile x syndrome: Updated recommendations of the national society of genetic counselors. J Genet Couns 14:249–270. , , , , , .
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Genetics. 2006. Clinical genetic evaluation of the child with mental retardation or developmental delays. Pediatrics 117:2304–2316. , ,
- NCHPEG. 2013. The pregnancy & health profile: A screening & risk assessment tool. Lutherville, MD: NCHPEG. http://www.nchpeg.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=410&Itemid=277
- NIH. 1999. Genetic testing for cystic fibrosis. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement on genetic testing for cystic fibrosis. Arch Intern Med 159:1529–1539.
- OMB. 1997. Revisions to the standards for the classification of federal data on race and ethnicity. Federal Register 62:9.
- 2011. Protocol for implementation of family health history collection and decision support into primary care using a computerized family health history system. BMC Health Serv Res 11:264. , , , , , , , , .
- 2014. Health services impact of implementing family health history risk stratification in primary care. Am J Med Genet C. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Identification and management of women at high risk for hereditary breast/ovarian cancer syndrome. Breast J 15:155–162. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Collection of family health history for assessment of chronic disease risk in primary care. N C J Med 74:7. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Clinical utility of family history for cancer screening and referral in primary care: A report from the Family Healthware Impact Trial. Genet Med 13:956–965. , , , , , , .
- 2014. A cancer genetics toolkit improves access to genetic services through documentation and use of the family history by primary-care clinicians. Genet Med 16:60–69. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Presentation of body mass index within an electronic health record to improve weight assessment and counselling in children and adolescents. Informatics in Primary Care 18:235–244. , , , .
- 2005. Fragile X syndrome: Diagnostic and carrier testing. Genet Med 7:584–587. , , .
- 2013. Clinical decision support for genetically guided personalized medicine: A systematic review. JAMIA 20:388–400. , .
- 2012. HLA genotype and carbamazepine-induced cutaneous adverse drug reactions: A systematic review. Clinical Pharmacol Ther 92:757–765. , , , , .