Bioacoustic Field Research: A Primer to Acoustic Analyses and Playback Experiments With Primates
Article first published online: 16 APR 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Primatology
Special Issue: Special Issue on Primate Signals
Volume 75, Issue 7, pages 643–663, July 2013
How to Cite
FISCHER, J., NOSER, R. and HAMMERSCHMIDT, K. (2013), Bioacoustic Field Research: A Primer to Acoustic Analyses and Playback Experiments With Primates. Am. J. Primatol., 75: 643–663. doi: 10.1002/ajp.22153
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2013
- Article first published online: 16 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 6 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 OCT 2012
- 2006. The alarm-calling system of adult male putty-nosed monkeys, Cercopithecus nictitans martini. Anim Behav 72:643–653. ,
- 2008. Meaningful call combinations in a non-human primate. Curr Biol 18:R202–R203. ,
- 2008. A forest monkey's alarm call series to predator models. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 62:549–559. , ,
- 2003. Hierarchical classification by rank and kinship in baboons. Science 302:1234–1236. , , ,
- 2011. Principles of animal communication. Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates. ,
- 2001. Diana monkeys, Cercopithecus diana, adjust their anti-predator response behaviour to human hunting strategies. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 50:251–256.
- 1997. Anti-predation behaviour of red colobus monkeys in the presence of chimpanzees. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 41:321–333. ,
- 1980. Vocal recognition in free-ranging vervet monkeys. Anim Behav 28:362–367. ,
- 1988. Assessment of meaning and the detection of unreliable signals by vervet monkeys. Anim Behav 36:477–486. ,
- 1990. How monkeys see the world. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ,
- 1997. Reconciliatory grunts by dominant female baboons influence victims' behaviour. Anim Behav 54:409–418. ,
- 1999. Recognition of other individuals' social relationships by female baboons. Anim Behav 58:67–75. ,
- 2007. Baboon metaphysics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. ,
- 1995. The responses of female baboons (Papio cynocephalus ursinus) to anomalous social interactions—evidence for causal reasoning. J Comp Psychol 109:134–141. , ,
- 2010. Contingent cooperation between wild female baboons. Proc Natl Acad Sci 107:9562–9566. , , , ,
- 2007. Baboons eavesdrop to deduce mating opportunities. Anim Behav 73:885–890. , , ,
- 2007. Power, effect and sample size using GPower: practical issues for researchers and members of research ethics committees. Evid Based Midwifery 5:132–136. ,
- 2010. A review of acoustic playback techniques for studying avian vocal duets. J Field Ornithol 81:115–129. ,
- 2006. Who, me? Can baboons infer the target of vocalizations? Anim Behav 71:381–387. , , ,
- 1960. Acoustic theory of speech production. The Hague: Mouton & Co.
- 1965. Visual perception from birth as shown by pattern selectivity. Ann N Y Acad Sci 118:793–814.
- 2007. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav Res Methods 29:175–191. , , ,
- 2002. Anti-predator behavior of group-living Malagasy primates: mixed evidence for a referential alarm call system. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 51:262–275. ,
- 1998. Barbary macaques categorize shrill barks into two call types. Anim Behav 55:799–807.
- 2004. Emergence of individual recognition in young macaques. Anim Behav 67:655–661.
- 2013. Information, inference and meaning in primate vocal behaviour. In: Stegmann U, editor. Animal communication theory: information and influence. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1995. Factors affecting acoustic variation in Barbary macaque (Macaca sylvanus) disturbance calls. Ethology 101:51–66. , ,
- 2001a. Acoustic features of female chacma baboon barks. Ethology 107:33–54. , , ,
- 2001b. Baboon responses to graded bark variants. Anim Behav 61:925–931. , , ,
- 2004. Baboon loud calls advertise male quality: acoustic features and their relation to rank, age, and exhaustion. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 56:140–148. , , ,
- 1997. Vocal tract length and formant frequency dispersion correlate with body size in rhesus macaques. J Acoust Soc Am 102:1213–1222.
- 2000. The evolution of speech: a comparative review. Trends Cogn Sci 4:258–266.
- 2003. Unpacking “honesty”: vertebrate vocal production and the evolution of acoustic signals. In: Simmons AM, Popper AN, Fay RR, editors. Animal communication. New York: Springer. p 65–137. ,
- 2004. Computational constraints on syntactic processing in a nonhuman primate. Science 303:377–380. ,
- 2002. Calls out of chaos: the adaptive significance of nonlinear phenomena in mammalian vocal production. Anim Behav 63:407–418. , ,
- 1992. Conducting playback experiments and interpreting their results. In: McGregor PK, editor. Playback and studies of animal communication: problems and prospects. New York: Plenum Press. p 59–77.
- 1994. The evolution of vocalization in frogs and toads. Annu Rev Ecol System 25:293–324.
- 1998. Maternal discrimination of offspring vocalizations in Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus). Primates 39:231–236. ,
- 1998a. Functional referents and acoustic similarity: field playback experiments with rhesus monkeys. Anim Behav 55:1647–1658.
- 1998b. A nonhuman primate's expectation about object motion and destination: the importance of self-propelled movement and animacy. Dev Sci 1:31–37.
- 1992. The acoustic analysis of speech. London: Singular Publishing Group. ,
- 2006. Functionally referential alarm calls in tamarins (Saguinus fuscicollis and Saguinus mystax)—evidence from playback experiments. Ethology 112:346–354. ,
- 2003a. Female baboons' responses to male loud calls. Ethology 109:401–412. , ,
- 2003b. Loud calls as indicators of dominance in male baboons (Papio cynocephalus ursinus). Behav Ecol Sociobiol 53:374–384. , , ,
- 2001. Pseudoreplication in playback experiments, revisited a decade later. Anim Behav 61:1029–1033. , , , ,
- 2008. Friendships between males and lactating females in a free-ranging group of olive baboons (Papio hamadryas anubis): evidence from playback experiments. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 62:1027–1035. , ,
- 2011. Transmission characteristics of primate vocalizations: implications for acoustic analyses. PLoS ONE 6:e23015. , ,
- 2000. The effect of pup vocalisations on food allocation in a cooperative mammal, the meerkat (Suricata suricatta). Behav Ecol Sociobiol 48:429–437. ,
- 1955. Characteristics of some animal calls. Nature 176:6–8.
- 1969. Vocalizations of wild chimpanzees—an introduction. Proceedings 2nd International Congress Primatology, Atlanta, 1968. vol 1. Basel: Karger. p 94–100.
- 1992. Quantifying responses to playback: one, many, or composite multivariate measures? In: McGregor PK, editor. Playback and studies of animal communication. New York: Plenum Press. p 79–96.
- 2011. Sources of acoustic variation: implications for production specificity and call categorization in chacma baboon (Papio ursinus) grunts. J Acoust Soc Am 129:1631–1641. , , ,
- 2007. Discriminant function analysis with nonindependent data: consequences and an alternative. Anim Behav 74:965–976. ,
- 1988. Feature weighting in species song recognition by the field sparrow (Spizella pusilla). Behaviour 106:158–182.
- 1990. The perception of birdsong and an ecological concept of signal space. Comparative perception—vol. 2: complex signals. New York: Wiley. p 443–478. , , ,
- 1988. The acoustic features of vervet monkey alarm calls. J Acoust Soc Am 83:1927–1935. ,
- 1997. The acoustic features of vowel-like grunt calls in chacma baboons (Papio cyncephalus ursinus): implications for production processes and functions. J Acoust Soc Am 101:2951–2963. , ,
- 1997. The adaptive value of ‘friendships’ to female baboons: experimental and observational evidence. Anim Behav 54:599–614. , ,
- 2006. Sounds and size—identification of variables that reflect body size in Hamadryas baboons. Anim Behav 72:43–51. ,
- 2008a. Female Barbary macaque (Macaca sylvanus) copulation calls do not reveal the fertile phase but influence mating outcome. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 275:571–578. , , , ,
- 2008b. Male Barbary macaques eavesdrop on mating outcome: a playback study. Anim Behav 75:1885–1891. , , ,
- 2011. Estrogen and progestogen correlates of the structure of female copulation calls in semi free-ranging Barbary macaques (Macaca sylvanus). Int J Primatol 32:992–1006. , , , ,
- 2008. The simian tongue. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- 2003. Anatomical constraints generate honesty: acoustic cues to age and weight in the roars of red deer stags. Anim Behav 65:519–530. ,
- 1996. Vocal recognition of individuals and kin in free ranging rhesus monkeys. Anim Behav 51:1007–1015. , ,
- 1999. The meaning and function of grunt variants in baboons. Anim Behav 57:583–592. , , ,
- 2009. The alarm call system of two species of black-and-white colobus monkeys (Colobus polykomos and Colobus guereza). J Comp Psychol 123:136–150. , ,
- 2011. Adult but not juvenile Barbary macaques spontaneously recognize group members from pictures. Anim Cogn 14:503–509. , , , ,
- 2008. Acoustic niches of siberut primates. Int J Primatol 29:601–613. , , ,
- 2000. Perception of female reproductive state from vocal cues in a mammal species. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 267:707–712. ,
- 1980a. Monkey responses to three different alarm calls: evidence of predator classification and semantic communication. Science 210:801–803. , ,
- 1980b. Vervet monkey alarm calls: semantic communication in a free-ranging primate. Anim Behav 28:1070–1094. , ,
- 2005. Agonistic screams in wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes schweinfurthii) vary as a function of social role. J Comp Psychol 119:67–77. ,
- 2010. Chimpanzees extract social information from agonistic screams. PLoS ONE 5:e11473. , , ,
- 1967. Auditory communication among vervet monkeys (Cercopithecus aethiops). In: Altmann SA, editor. Social communication among primates. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. p 281–324.
- 2010. Production and perception of situationally variable alarm calls in wild tufted capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella nigritus). Behav Ecol Sociobiol 64:989–1000.
- 2012. Functionally referential signals: a promising paradigm whose time has passed. Evol Anthropol 21:195–205. ,
- 1998. Subharmonics, biphonation, and deterministic chaos in mammal vocalizatons. Bioacoustics 9:171–197. , ,
- 1978. Physical constraints on acoustic communication in atmosphere: implications for evolution of animal vocalizations. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 3:69–94. ,
- 2007a. Vocal alliances in Chacma baboons (Papio hamadryas ursinus). Behav Ecol Sociobiol 61:899–909. , , ,
- 2007b. Kin-mediated reconciliation substitutes for direct reconciliation in female baboons. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 274:1109–1115. , , , ,
- 2011. Variability of female responses to conspecific vs. heterospecific male mating calls in polygynous deer: an open door to hybridization? PLoS ONE 6:e23296. , , ,
- 2000a. Causal cognition in a non-human primate: field playback experiments with Diana monkeys. Cognition 76:195–207.
- 2000b. Causal knowledge of predator's behaviour in wild Diana monkeys. Anim Behav 59:209–220.
- 2000c. Interspecies semantic communication in two forest primates. Proc R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 267:713–718.
- 2000d. Referential labelling in Diana monkeys. Anim Behav 59:917–927.
- 2001. Predator-specific alarm calls in Campbell's monkeys, Cercopithecus campbelli. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 50:414–422.
- 2011. Field experiments with nonhuman primates: a tutorial. In: Setchell JM, Curtis DJ, editors. Field and laboratory methods in primatology. 2nd edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ,