Conflicts of interest: None.
Gestures and social-emotional communicative development in chimpanzee infants
Article first published online: 5 SEP 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Primatology
Volume 76, Issue 1, pages 14–29, January 2014
How to Cite
Bard, K. A., Dunbar, S., Maguire-Herring, V., Veira, Y., Hayes, K. G. and McDonald, K. (2014), Gestures and social-emotional communicative development in chimpanzee infants. Am. J. Primatol., 76: 14–29. doi: 10.1002/ajp.22189
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 5 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 APR 2013
- NIH. Grant Numbers: RR-00165, RR-06158, RR-03591
- 1995. Communication development during infancy. Boulder, CO: Westview.
- 2000. Natural conflict resolution. Cambridge, UK: University of California Press Ltd. ,
- 1992. Intentional behavior and intentional communication in young free-ranging orangutans. Child Dev 63:1186–1197.
- 1994. Evolutionary roots of intuitive parenting: maternal competence in chimpanzees. Early Dev Parenting 3:19–28.
- 1995. Parenting in primates. In: Bornstein M, editor. Handbook of parenting: vol. II: ecology and biology of parenting. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. p 27–58.
- 1996. Responsive care: behavioral intervention for nursery-reared chimpanzees. Tucson, AZ: Jane Goodall Institute.
- 2007. Neonatal imitation in young chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) tested with two paradigms. Anim Cogn 10:233–242.
- 2008. Development of emotional expressions in chimpanzees and human infants. Psychol Bull of Novosibirsk State University, Russia 2:98–105 (in english with Russian translation). ISSN 1995-865X.
- 2012. Emotional engagement: how chimpanzee minds develop. In: de Waal FBM, Ferrari PF, editors. The primate mind. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. p 224–245.
- 2009. Socioemotional factors in the development of joint attention in human and ape infants. In Roska-Hardy L, Neumann-Held E, editors. Learning from animals? Examining the nature of human uniqueness. Hove, UK: Psychology Press. p 89–104. ,
- 1975. The acquisition of performatives prior to speech. Merrill Palmer Q 21:205–226. , ,
- 1981. Chimpanzee visual communication: Facial, gestural and postural expressive movement in young, captive chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Anthropol Research Papers No. 26 (Arizona State University). ,
- 2004. The pragmatics of imperative and declarative pointing. Cogn Sci Q 3:429–446.
- 2008. The role of intersubjectivity for the development of intentional communication. In: Zlatev J, Racine T, Sinha C, Itkonen E, editors. The shared mind. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: John Benjamins Publishing Co. p 115–140.
- 2007. The gestural communication of apes and monkeys. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. ,
- 2011. Aping expressions? Chimpanzees produce distinct laugh types when responding to laughter of others. Emotion 11:1013–1020. , , ,
- 1982. Chimpanzee politics: power and sex among apes. New York, NY: Harper & Row.
- 1996. Grooming, gossip and the evolution of language. London, UK: Faber and Faber Ltd.
- 1987. Development of early expressive and communicative action: Reinterpreting the evidence from a dynamic systems perspective. Dev Psychol 23:747–761. ,
- 1997. Next of kin: what my conversations with chimpanzees have taught me about intelligence, compassion and being human. London, UK: Michael Joseph. ,
- 1989. The infant Loulis learns signs from cross-fostered chimpanzees. In: Gardner RA, Gardner BT, Van Cantfort TE, editors. Teaching sign language to chimpanzees. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, p 280–292. , ,
- 2001. The role of positive emotions in positive psychology: the broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions. Am Psychol 56:218–226.
- 1989. Prelinguistic development of children and chimpanzees. Hum Evol 4:433–460. ,
- Gardner RA, Gardner BT, van Cantfort TE, editors. 1989. Teaching sign language to chimpanzees. Albany, NY: SUNY Press.
- 2005. The evolution and functions of laughter and humor: A synthetic approach. Q Rev Biol 80:395–430. ,
- 2013. A cross-species study of gesture and its role in symbolic development: implications for the gestural theory of language evolution. Front Psychol 4:160. DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00160 , , , ,
- 1998. Do concepts of intersubjectivity apply to non-human primates? In: Braten S, editor. Intersubjective communication and emotion in early ontogeny. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. p 245–259.
- 1986. The chimpanzees of Gombe: patterns of behavior. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1990. Social context of pant-grunting in young chimpanzees. In: Nishida T, editor. The chimpanzees of the Mahale mountains. Tokyo, Japan: University of Tokyo Press. p 189–206.
- 2011. The gestural repertoire of the wild chimpanzee. Anim Cogn 14:745–767. ,
- 2007. Chimpanzess differentially produce novel vocalizations to capture the attention of a human. Anim Behav 73:281–286. , ,
- 2003. How can we know the dancer from the dance? The dynamic nature of African great ape social communication. Anthropol Theory 3:5–26. ,
- 1925/1957. The mentality of apes. London, UK: Pelican Books.
- 2011. The development of a greeting signal in wild chimpanzees. Dev Sci 14:1220–1234. ,
- 2012. Pointing: contexts and instrumentality. In: Pika S, Liebal K, editors. Developments in primate gesture research. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: John Benjamins Publishing Co. p 181–197.
- 1996. Indexical and referential pointing in chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J Comp Psychol 110:346–353. , ,
- 2005. Intentionality as measured in the persistence and elaboration of communication by chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Child Dev 76:291–306.
- 2009. The ontogeny and phylogeny of non-verbal deixis. In: Botha R, Knight C, editors. The prehistory of language. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. p 142–165. , ,
- 2012. The origins of non-human primates' manual gestures. Philos Trans R Soc B 367:118–128. ,
- 2004. Use of gestural sequences in chimpanzees. Am J Primatol 64:377–396. , ,
- 2011. The impact of environment on the comprehension of declarative communication in apes. Psychol Sci 21:360–365. , ,
- 1962. Differential responses of chimpanzees to social stimulation. J Comp Physiol Psychol 55:1105–1110. , ,
- 1978. Evidence of a social custom in wild chimpanzees? Man 13:234–251. ,
- 1971. Communication about the environment in a group of young chimpanzees. Folia Primatol 15:220–232.
- 2013. Ontogeny of a social custom in wild chimpanzees: age changes in grooming hand-clasp at Mahale. Am J Primatol 75:186–196. ,
- 2000. Social scratch: another custom in wild chimpanzees? Primates 41:237–248. , , ,
- 1977. A comparison of early behavioral development in wild and captive chimpanzees. In: Chevalier-Skolnikoff S, Poirer FE, editors. Primate biosocial development: biological, social, and ecological determinants. New York, NY: Garland Publishing.
- 1970. Social behavior and relationship among wild chimpanzees of the Mahale mountains. Primates 11:47–87.
- 2012. Chimpanzees of the Lakeshore. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2007. Play at work: revisiting data focusing on chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J Anthropol Sci 85:63–81.
- 2008. Gestures of apes and pre-linguistic human children: similar or different? First Lang 28:116–140.
- 2006. Referential gesturing in wild chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). Curr Biol 16:191–192. ,
- 1978. Some basic traits of language in wild chimpanzees? In: Lock A, editor. Action, gesture and symbol: the emergence of language. London, UK: Academic Press. p 111–132.
- 1979. How wild chimpanzee babies trigger the onset of mother–infant play and what the mother makes of it. In: Bullowa M, editor. Before speech: the beginning of interpersonal communication. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press. p 223–243.
- 1984. The behavioral development of free-living chimpanzee babies and infants. Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- 2012. Usage and comprehension of manual gestures in wild chimpanzees. Anim Behav 84:459–470. , ,
- 1996. Toward a new outlook on primate learning and behavior: complex learning and emergent processes in comparative perspective. Jpn Psychol Res 38:113–125. , ,
- 1997. Social referencing by young chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes). J Comp Psychol 111:185–193. , ,
- 2012a. Onset and early use of gestural communication in nonhuman great apes. Am J Primatol 74:102–113. , ,
- 2012b. What role do mothers play in the gestural acquisition of bonobos (Pan paniscus) and chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes)? Int J Primatol 33:246–262. , ,
- 2013. Gesture use by chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes): differences between sexes in inter- and intra-sexual interactions. Am J Primatol 75:555–567.
- 2012. A call for conformity: gesture studies in human and non-human primates. In: Pika S, Liebal K, editors. Developments in primate gesture research. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: John Benjamins Publishing Co. p 147–163. ,
- 2005. Functionally referential communication in a chimpanzee. Curr Biol 15:1179–1784. ,
- 1996. Representation of action through iconic gesture in a captive lowland gorilla. Curr Anthropol, 37:162–173. ,
- 1985. The development of gestural communication in young chimpanzees. J Hum Evol 14:175–816. , , , ,
- 1994. The learning and use of gestural signals by young chimpanzees: a trans-generational study. Primates 35:137–154. , , , ,
- 2001. Infant intersubjectivity: research, theory, and clinical applications. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 42:3–48. ,
- 1973. A structural analysis of the social behaviour of a semi-captive group of chimpanzees. In: von Cranach M, Vine I, editors. Social communication and movement: studies of interaction and expression in man and chimpanzees. London, UK: Academic Press. p 75–162.
- 2009. Enhancement of attachment and cognitive development of young nursery-reared chimpanzees in responsive versus standard care. Dev Psychobiol 51:173–185. , , ,
- 1967. Mother–offspring relationships in free-ranging chimpanzees. In: Morris D, editor. Primate ethology. London, UK: Wiedenfeld and Nicholson. p 287–346.
- 1968. A preliminary report on expressive movements and communication in the Gombe stream chimpanzees. In: Jay P, editor. Primates: studies in adaptations and variability. New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart & Winston. p 313–374.
- 2002. Reciprocity and interchange in the social relationships of wild male chimpanzees. Behaviour 139:343–370.
- 1999. Cultures in chimpanzees. Nature 399:682–685. , , , et al.
- 1976. The role of tutoring in problem solving. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 17:89–100. , ,