Patterns of movement and seed dispersal by three lemur species
Article first published online: 9 SEP 2013
© 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Primatology
Volume 76, Issue 1, pages 84–96, January 2014
How to Cite
Razafindratsima, O. H., Jones, T. A. and Dunham, A. E. (2014), Patterns of movement and seed dispersal by three lemur species. Am. J. Primatol., 76: 84–96. doi: 10.1002/ajp.22199
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 9 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 2 MAR 2013
- Rice University
- International Foundation for Science in Stockholm. Grant Number: D/4985-1
- The Rufford Small Grants Foundation. Grant Number: 5748-1
- Primate Conservation, Inc.. Grant Number: 908
- The Explorers Club
- Idea Wild
- Primate Society of Great Britain
- Philanthropic Educational Organization
- The Leakey Foundation
- Schlumberger Foundation
- 2013. Frugivory and seed dispersal by Northern Pigtailed Macaques (Macaca leonina), in Thailand. Int J Primatol 34:170–193. , , , ,
- 2005. To succeed globally, disperse locally: effects of local pollen and seed dispersal on tetraploid establishment. Heredity 94:538–546.
- 2011. Communal breeding in ruffed lemurs. Stony Brook, NY: Stony Brook University.
- 2008. Morphometrics of wild black-and-white ruffed lemurs [Varecia variegata; Kerr, 1792]. Am J Primatol 70:913–926. , ,
- 2009. Luxury bushmeat trade threatens lemur conservation. Nature 461:470–470. ,
- 2001. Consequences of frugivore diversity for seed dispersal, seedling establishment and the spatial pattern of seedlings and trees. Oecologia 129:385–394. ,
- 2004. Tree dispersal strategies in the littoral forest of Sainte Luce (SE-Madagascar). Oecologia 139:604–616. , ,
- 1995. Comparative gut passage time in captive lemurs. Dodo J Wildl Preserv Trusts 31:76–81. ,
- 2000. Long-distance seed dispersal in plant populations. Am J Bot 87:1217–1227. , ,
- 1995. Primate seed dispersal: coevolution and conservation implications. Evol Anthropol Issues News Rev 4:74–82.
- 2006. Primate seed dispersal: linking behavioral ecology with forest community structure. In: Campbell JC, Fuentes AF, MacKinnon KC, Panger M, Bearder S, editors. Primates in perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p 510–525. ,
- 1971. On the role of natural enemies in preventing competitive exclusion in some marine animals and in rain forest trees. In: den Boer PJ, Gradwell GR, editors. Dynamics of populations. Wageningen: Centre for Agricultural Publishing and. Documentation. PUDOC. p 298–312.
- 2010. Towards better prediction of seed dispersal by animals. Funct Ecol 24:1163–1170. , , ,
- 2011. A glance to the past: subfossils, stable isotopes, seed dispersal, and lemur species loss in southern Madagascar. Am J Primatol 73:25–37. , ,
- 1998. Frugivory and seed dispersal by four species of primates in Madagascar's eastern rain forest. Biotropica 30:425–437. ,
- 2012. Madagascar: a history of arrivals, what happened, and will happen next. Annu Rev Anthropol 41:495–517. ,
- 2007. Route-based travel and shared routes in sympatric spider and woolly monkeys: cognitive and evolutionary implications. Anim Cogn 10:317–329. ,
- 2008. Evaluating effects of deforestation, hunting, and El Nino events on a threatened lemur. Biol Conserv 141:287–297. , , ,
- 2011. Global climate cycles and cyclones: consequences for rainfall patterns and lemur reproduction in southeastern Madagascar. Global Change Biol 17:219–227. , ,
- 1973. A preliminary analysis of a Neotropical mammal fauna. Biotropica 5:150–161. ,
- 2008a. Population demography and social structure changes in Eulemur fulvus rufus from 1988 to 2003. Am J Phys Anthropol 136:183–193. ,
- 2008b. Spatial memory during foraging in prosimian primates: Propithecus edwardsi and Eulemur fulvus rufus. Folia Primatol 79:185–196. ,
- 1984. Fruit eating and seed dispersal by howling monkeys (Alouatta palliata) in the tropical rain forest of Los Tuxtlas, Mexico. Am J Primatol 6:77–91. ,
- 1979. Do tropical frugivores compete for food? Integr Comp Biol 19:1157.
- 1999. Lemurs and the regeneration of dry deciduous forest in Madagascar. Conserv Biol 13:794–7804. , , , ,
- 1986. The ecology of seed dispersal in two species of callitrichid primates (Saguinus mystax and Saguinus fuscicollis). Am J Primatol 10:155–170.
- 1989. Role of spatial memory in primate foraging patterns: Saguinus mystax and Saguinus fuscicollis. Am J Primatol 19:203–216.
- 2000. Evidence for use of spatial, temporal, and social information by some primate foragers. In: Boinski S, Garber PA, editors. On the move: how and why animals travel in groups. Chicago: University Chicago Press. p 261–298.
- 2006. Travel patterns and spatial mapping in Nicaraguan mantled howler monkeys (Alouatta palliata). In: Estrada A, Garber PA, Pavelka MSM, Luecke L, editors. New perspectives in the study of mesoamerican primates: distribution, ecology, behavior and conservation. New York: Springer. p 287–309. ,
- 2012. Species richness matters for the quality of ecosystem services: a test using seed dispersal by frugivorous birds. Proc R Soc B Biol Sci 279:3106–3113. ,
- 1992. Morphometrics and testicle size of rain forest lemur species from southeastern Madagascar. J Hum Evol 22:1–17. , , ,
- 2012. Dental topography indicates ecological contraction of lemur communities. Am J Phys Anthropol 148:215–227. , , , ,
- 1981. Primate home-range size and metabolic needs. Behav Ecol Sociobiol 8:151–155. ,
- 2003. Introduction to the birds. In: Goodman SM, Benstead JP, editors. The natural history of Madagascar. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. p 1019–1044. ,
- 2003. Are long-distance dispersal events in plants usually caused by nonstandard means of dispersal? Ecology 84:1945–1956. , ,
- 1982. Ecology of seed dispersal. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 13:201–228. ,
- 1986. Biology, chance, and history and the structure of tropical rain forest tree communities. In: Cody ML, Diamond J, editors. Community ecology. New York: Harper and Row. p 314–329. ,
- 2001. Local neighborhood effects on long-term survival of individual trees in a Neotropical forest. Ecol Res 16:859–875. , , ,
- IUCN. 2012. I.U.C.N. redlist of threatened species. Version 2012.1.
- 2006. Evidence for a spatial memory of fruiting states of rainforest trees in wild mangabeys. Anim Behav 72:797–807. , ,
- 1970. Herbivores and the number of tree species in tropical forests. Am Nat 104:501–528.
- 2012. Conspecific negative density dependence and forest diversity. Science 336:904–907. , , ,
- 1996. Seed dispersal by red howling monkeys (Alouatta seniculus) in the tropical rain forest of French Guiana. Int J Primatol 17:239–258.
- 2009. Effects of seed disperser social behavior on patterns of seed movement and deposition. Oecologia Brasiliensis 13:45–57. ,
- 2005. Dental senescence in a long-lived primate links infant survival to rainfall. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 102:16579–16583. , , , et al.
- 2011. Morphometrics and pattern of growth in wild sifakas (Propithecus edwardsi) at Ranomafana National Park, Madagascar. Am J Primatol 73:155–172. , , , et al.
- 2007. Feeding ecology and seed dispersal of sympatric cheirogaleid lemurs (Microcebus murinus, Cheirogaleus medius, Cheirogaleus major) in the littoral rainforest of south-east Madagascar. J Ecol 271:88–98.
- 1990. Guide to the birds of madagascar. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 2008. Some aspects of seed dispersal effectiveness of golden lion tamarins (Leontopithecus rosalia) in a Brazilian Atlantic forest. Trop Conserv Sci 1:122–139. ,
- 2006. Seed dispersal by spider monkeys and its importance in the maintenance of neotropical rain-forest diversity. J Trop Ecol 22:235–246. ,
- 2012. Experimental evidence for a phylogenetic Janzen–Connell effect in a subtropical forest. Ecol Lett 15:111–118. , , , et al.
- 2000. Primary seed shadow generated by gibbons in the rain forests of Barito Ulu, Central Borneo. Am J Primatol 52:13–29.
- 2007. Influence of gibbon ranging patterns on seed dispersal distance and deposition site in a Bornean forest. J Trop Ecol 23:269. ,
- 2011. Primary seed dispersal by the black-and-white ruffed lemur (Varecia variegata) in the Manombo forest, south-east Madagascar. J Trop Ecol 27:529–538. ,
- 2005. Seed dispersal of woody plants in tropical forests: concepts, examples and future directions. In: Burslem D, Pinard M, Hartley S, editors. Biotic interactions in the tropics: Their role in the maintenance of species diversity. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. p 267–309. ,
- 2006. Long-distance dispersal of plants. Science 313:786–788.
- 2011. Primates in 21st century ecosystems: does primate conservation promote ecosystem conservation? Am J Primatol 73:3–8. , ,
- 1995. Determinants of nighttime activity in ‘diurnal’ lemurid primates. In: Alterman L, editor. Creatures of the dark: the nocturnal prosimians. New York: Plenum. p 61–74. ,
- 1998. Seed handling by three prosimian primates in southeastern Madagascar: implications for seed dispersal. Am J Primatol 45:69–82. ,
- 2007. Social pair-bonding and resource defense in wild red-bellied lemurs (Eulemur rubriventer). In: Gould L, Sauther ML, editors. Lemurs: ecology and adaptation. New York: Springer. p 235–254. ,
- 1999. Life history of Eulemur fulvus rufus from 1988 to 1998 in southeastern Madagascar. Am J Phys Anthropol 108:295–310. , , , ,
- 2012. Evaluating ring-tailed lemurs (Lemur catta) from southwestern Madagascar for a genetic population bottleneck. Am J Phys Anthropol 147:21–29. , , , ,
- 2005. How many principal components? Stopping rules for determining the number of non-trivial axes revisited. Comput Stat Data Anal 49:974–997. , ,
- 2003. The role of the Velvet Asity Philepitta castanea in regeneration of understory shrubs in Madagascan rainforest. Ornithol Sci 2:49–58. , , ,
- 2013. Conservation of malagasy prosimians: a view from the great Red Island. In: Masters J, Gamba M, Génin F, editors. New York, NY: Leaping Ahead, Springer. p 387–396. , , , et al.
- 2012. Seed dispersal by red-ruffed lemurs: seed size, viablity, and beneficial effect on seedling growth. Ecotropica 18:15–26. ,
- 2013. Extinctions, traits and phylogenetic community structure: insights from primate assemblages in Madagascar. Ecography 36:047–056. , ,
- 2008. Basal metabolic rate, body weight and diet in primates: an evaluation of the evidence. Folia Primatol 58:7–23.
- 1991. Comparison of seed dispersal by guenons in Kenya and capuchins in Panama. J Trop Ecol 7:269–274. ,
- 2006. Incorporating animal behavior into seed dispersal models: implications for seed shadows. Ecology 87:3160–3174. , ,
- 2003. Local dispersal can facilitate coexistence in the presence of permanent spatial heterogeneity. Ecol Lett 6:301–309. ,
- 1998. Metabolic energy expenditure and the regulation of movement economy. Psychon Bull Rev 5:173–196. ,
- 2000. Influence of seed dispersal by brown lemurs on removal rates of three Grewia species (Tiliaceae) in the dry deciduous forest of Madagascar. Ecotropica 6:13–21. ,
- 2007. Incorporating dispersal distance into the disperser effectiveness framework: frugivorous birds provide complementary dispersal to plants in a patchy environment. Ecol Lett 10:718–728. ,
- 2000. Seed dispersal by woolly monkeys (Lagothrix lagothricha) at Tinigua National Park, Colombia: dispersal distance, germination rates, and dispersal quantity. Am J Primatol 50:275–289.
- 2007. Hunting and plant community dynamics in tropical forests: a synthesis and future directions. Biotropica 39:385–392. , , ,
- 2002. Maintenance of tree diversity in tropical forests. In: Levey DJ, Silva WR, Galetti M, editors. Seed dispersal and frugivory: ecology, evolution, and conservation. New York: CABI. p 1–17. , ,
- 1994. Competition and biodiversity in spatially structured habitats. Ecology 75:2–16.
- 2010. Spatial patterns of seed dispersal by white-faced capuchins in Costa Rica: evaluating distant-dependent seed mortality. Biotropica 42:223–228. ,
- 2007. Seed dispersal ecology of non-restricted frugivores, capuchin monkeys in three neotropical forests. J Trop Ecol 23:519–528. ,
- 2003. Seed dispersal patterns produced by white-faced monkeys: implications for the dispersal limitation of neotropical tree species. J Ecol 91:677–685. , , ,
- 2000. Patterns of movement and seed dispersal of a tropical frugivore. Oecologia 122:249–257. ,
- 2005. Incorporating patterns of disperser behaviour into models of seed dispersal and its effects on estimated dispersal curves. Oecologia 146:57–67. , , ,
- 2008. A mechanistic simulation model of seed dispersal by animals. J Ecol 96:1011–1022. ,
- 2002. Making a rain forest work in Madagascar. In: Terborgh J, Van Schaik C, Davenport L, Rao M, editors. Making parks work: Strategies for preserving tropical nature. Washington, DC: Island Press. p 112–136. ,
- 2011. Frugivory in four sympatric lemurs: implications for the future of Madagascar's forests. Am J Primatol 73:585–602. , , , et al.
- 2012. Long-term lemur research at Centre Valbio, Ranomafana National Park, Madagascar. In: Kappeler PM, Watts DP, editors. Long-term field studies of primates. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. p 67–100. , , , et al.
- 1995. Fruit consumption and seed dispersal of Ziziphus cinnamomum (Rhamnaceae) by two sympatric primates (Cebus apella and Ateles paniscus) in French Guiana. Biotropica 27:397–401. ,
- 1979. Optimal foraging: a case for random movement. Oecologia 43:261–267.