I am most grateful to my personal assistants, to Mrs. C. C. Standley who measured most of the photographs and carried out the photometric typing according to my photoscopic estimates, and to Mrs. S. C. McIntosh for statistical help especially in compiling the deviation tables. Dr. J. M. Tanner introduced me to somatotyping and himself measured and photographed many of the Oxford undergraduates. Dr. R. H. Bolton, Senior University Medical Officer, kindly granted me permission to carry out the anthropometric survey of first year students at Birmingham in the course of their routine overhaul. The first part of the work was undertaken while I was Student Health Physician at the Institute of Social Medicine, Oxford, the latter part while in receipt of a further grant from the Nuffield Foundation to undertake research in the constitutional aspects of psychiatric medicine at the Warneford Hospital, Oxford.
Somatotyping by physical anthropometry
Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2005
Copyright © 1954 Wiley-Liss, Inc., A Wiley Company
American Journal of Physical Anthropology
Volume 12, Issue 2, pages 209–240, June 1954
How to Cite
Parnell, R. W. (1954), Somatotyping by physical anthropometry. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 12: 209–240. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.1330120218
- Issue online: 7 JUN 2005
- Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2005
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!