Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
The diet-body offset in human nitrogen isotopic values: A controlled dietary study†
Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Physical Anthropology
Volume 149, Issue 3, pages 426–434, November 2012
How to Cite
O'Connell, T.C., Kneale, C.J., Tasevska, N. and Kuhnle, G.G.C. (2012), The diet-body offset in human nitrogen isotopic values: A controlled dietary study. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 149: 426–434. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.22140
- Issue online: 13 OCT 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 MAY 2012
- The Wellcome Trust. Grant Number: WT074229
- Medical Research Council, World Cancer Research Fund
- 2000. Controlled diet and climate experiments on nitrogen isotope ratios of rats. In: Ambrose SH,Katzenberg MA, editors. Biogeochemical approaches to paleodietary analysis. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum. p 243–259. .
- 1986. The isotopic ecology of East African mammals. Oecologia 69: 395–406. , .
- 2005. Carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur diet-tissue discrimination in mouse tissues. Can J Zool 83: 989–995. , .
- 2004. Turnover of carbon isotopes in tail hair and breath CO2 of horses fed an isotopically varied diet. Oecologia 139: 11–22. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Dietary intakes of essential nutrients among Arab and Berber ethnic groups on rural Tunisian island. Nutrition 26: 75–81. , , , , .
- 1985. Urine nitrogen as an independent validatory measure of dietary-intake: a study of nitrogen-balance in individuals consuming their normal diet. Am J Clin Nutr 42: 1276–1289. , .
- 2003. Trophic level isotopic enrichment of carbon and nitrogen in bone collagen: case studies from recent and ancient terrestrial ecosystems. Int J Osteoarchaeol 13: 46–53. , .
- 2002. Stable isotope (C-13, N-15 and S-34) analysis of the hair of modern humans and their domestic animals. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 16: 2195–2200. , .
- 1997. Mesolithic and Early Neolithic in the Iron Gates: a palaeodietary perspective. J Eur Archaeol 5: 50–92. , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Isotopic and archaeological interpretations of diet in the Central Mississippi Valley. J Archaeol Sci 18: 319–329. , .
- 2008. Discrimination factors (Delta N-15 and Delta C-13) in an omnivorous consumer: effect of diet isotopic ratio. Funct Ecol 22: 255–263. , , .
- 2009. Variation in discrimination factors (Delta(15)N and Delta(13)C): the effect of diet isotopic values and applications for diet reconstruction. J Appl Ecol 46: 443–453. , , .
- 2000. Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets. Am J Clin Nutr 71: 682–692. , , , , , .
- 1981. Influence of diet on the distribution of nitrogen isotopes in animals. Geochim Cosmochim Act 45: 341–351. , .
- FAOSTAT. 2012. Food Balance Sheets. FAO.
- 2009. Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behav Res Methods 41: 1149–1160. , , , .
- 2003. Use of sulfur and nitrogen stable isotopes to determine the importance of whitebark pine nuts to Yellowstone grizzly bears. Can J Zool 81: 763–770. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Worldwide incidence of hip fracture in elderly women: relation to consumption of animal and vegetable foods. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 55: M585–M592. , , , .
- 2004. Nitrogen balance and delta N-15: why you're not what you eat during pregnancy. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 18: 2889–2896. , , , , , .
- 2005. Nitrogen balance and 15N: why you're not what you eat during nutritional stress. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19: 2497–2506. , , , , , .
- 1997. Annual rainfall and nitrogen-isotope correlation in macropod collagen: application as a palaeoprecipitation indicator. Earth Planet Sci Lett 153: 279–285. , , .
- 1991. The isotopic composition of carbon and nitrogen in individual amino acids isolated from modern and fossil proteins. J Archaeol Sci 18: 277–292. , , , , .
- 1986. Climatic influence on the isotopic composition of bone collagen. Nature 322: 822–823. , , , .
- 2009. Correspondence between human diet, body composition and stable isotopic composition of hair and breath in Fijian villagers. Isotopes Environ Health Stud 45: 1–17. , , .
- 2007. Collagen turnover in the adult femoral mid-shaft: modeled from anthropogenic radiocarbon tracer measurements. Am J Phys Anthropol 133: 808–816. , , , .
- 2007. Nitrogen isotopes and the trophic level of humans in archaeology. J Archaeol Sci 34: 1240–1251. , .
- 1996. Use of stable isotopes to determine diets of living and extinct bears. Can J Zool 74: 2080–2088. , , , , , .
- 1993. Stable-nitrogen isotope enrichment in avian tissues due to fasting and nutritional stress: implications for isotopic analyses of diet. Condor 95: 388–394. , , .
- 1992. Assessing avian diets using stable isotopes. II. Factors influencing diet-tissue fractionation. The Condor 94: 189–197. , .
- 1996. Stable carbon and nitrogen isotopic fractionation between diet and tissues of captive seals: implications for dietary reconstructions involving marine mammals. Can J Aquatic Sci 53: 528–533. , , , .
- 1997. Stable isotope geochemistry. Berlin: Springer. .
- 2009. Effect of a controlled dietary change on carbon and nitrogen stable isotope ratios of human hair. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 23: 2448–2454. , , , .
- 2009. Determinants of daily protein intake among rural and low-income urban households in Nigeria. Am-Eurasian J Sci Res 4: 290–301. , .
- 2001. Nitrogen and carbon isotope fractionation between mothers, neonates, and nursing offspring. Oecologia 129: 336–341. , .
- 1981. Changes in natural carbon isotope ratio of the hair from steers fed diets of C4, C3 and C4 species in sequence. Search 12: 85–87. , , , .
- 1999. Stable isotope variation in pathological bone. Int J Osteoarchaeol 9: 316–324. , .
- Carbon and nitrogen isotopic ratios of urine and faeces as novel nutritional biomarkers of meat and fish intake. Eur J Nutr. PMID: 22406837 , , , . In press.
- 2002. Stable-isotope ratios of blood components from captive northern fur seals (Callorhinus ursinus) and their diet: applications for studying the foraging ecology of wild otariids. Can J Zool 80: 902–909. .
- 1991. Homeostasis, survival, and red cell kinetics: measurement and imaging of red cell production. In: Hoffman R,Benz EJ,Shattil SJ,Furie B,Cohen HJ, editors. Hematology: basic principles and practice. New York: Churchill Livingstone. p 274–290. .
- 1994. The Mesolithic-Neolithic transition in Portugal: isotopic and dental evidence of diet. J Archaeol Sci 21: 201–216. , , , , .
- 2002. Dietary intakes of an African population in different stages of transition in the North West Province, South Africa: the THUSA study. Nutr Res 22: 239–256. , , , .
- 2008. Stable isotopes may provide evidence for starvation in reptiles. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 22: 2307–2314. , .
- 2003. Variation in trophic shift for stable isotope ratios of carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur. Oikos 102: 378–390. , , , .
- 2006. Serial analysis of stable nitrogen and carbon isotopes in hair: monitoring starvation and recovery phases of patients suffering from anorexia nervosa. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20: 1604–1610. , , , .
- 1992. Reconstruction of human diet from δ13C and δ15N in contemporary Japanese hair: a stochastic method for estimating multi-source contribution by double isotopic tracers. Appl Geochem 7: 145–158. .
- 1986. Carbon and nitrogen abundances in human feeding ecosystem. Chikyu-kagaku (Geochemistry) 20: 79–88. , , .
- 1984. Stepwise enrichment of 15N along food chains: further evidence and the relation between δ15N and animal age. Geochim Cosmochim Act 48: 1135–1140. , .
- 2006. Effect of diet quality on carbon and nitrogen turnover and isotopic discrimination in blood of a New World nectarivorous bat. J Exp Biol 209: 541–548. , , , .
- 2007. Animal protein consumption among rural households in Kwara State, Nigeria. Afr J Gen Agr 3: 21–27. , .
- 2002. Diet-tissue fractionation of stable carbon and nitrogen isotopes in phocid seals. Marine Mamm Sci 18: 182–193. , , .
- 1985. Evaluation of isotope ratio (IR) mass spectrometry for the study of drug metabolism. Biomed Mass Spectrom 12: 502–506. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Stable nitrogen and carbon isotope ratios indicate traditional and market food intake in an indigenous circumpolar population. J Nutr 142: 84–90. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Red blood cell delta N-15: a novel biomarker of dietary eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid intake. Am J Clin Nutr 89: 913–919. , , , , , .
- 2001. Isotopic comparison of hair, bone and nail: modern analyses. J Archaeol Sci 28: 1247–1255. , , , .
- 1999a. Investigations into the effect of diet on modern human hair isotopic values. Am J Phys Anthropol 108: 409–425. , .
- 1999b. Isotopic comparison of hair and bone: archaeological analyses. J Archaeol Sci 26: 661–665. , .
- 2005a. Carbon and nitrogen stable isotopic composition of hair protein and amino acids can be used as biomarkers for animal-derived dietary protein intake in humans. J Nutr 135: 1515–1520. , , , .
- 2005b. Choice of dietary protein of vegetarians and omnivores is reflected in their hair protein C-13 and N-15 abundance. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 19: 1392–1400. , , .
- 2009. Hair protein and amino acid C-13 and N-15 abundances take more than 4 weeks to clearly prove influences of animal protein intake in young women with a habitual daily protein consumption of more than 1 g per kg body weight. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 23: 2411–2420. , .
- 2002. Using stable isotopes to estimate trophic position: models, methods, and assumptions. Ecology 83: 703–718. .
- 2006. Palaeodietary reconstruction. In: Brickley M,Buteux S,Adams J,Cherrington R, editors. St Martin's uncovered: investigations in the churchyard of St Martin's-in-the-Bull Ring, Birmingham, 2001. Oxford: Oxbow Books. p 147–151. .
- 2003. Sharp shift in diet at onset of Neolithic. Nature 425: 366–366. , , .
- 2005. The effect of dietary protein quality on nitrogen isotope discrimination in mammals and birds. Oecologia 144: 534–540. , , .
- 2000. Stable carbon and nitrogen isotopic fractionation between diet and tissue of captive red fox: implications for dietary reconstruction. Can J Zool 78: 848–852. , .
- 1999. The bagplot: a bivariate boxplot. Am Stat 53: 382–387. , , .
- 1986. Stable isotopes of carbon, nitrogen and hydrogen in the contemporary North American human food web. Ecol Food Nutr 18: 159–170. , , , .
- 1984. Nitrogen and carbon isotopic composition of bone collagen from marine and terrestrial animals. Geochim Cosmochim Act 48: 625–639. , .
- 1987. Nitrogen isotopic ecology in Southern Africa: implications for environmental and dietary tracing. Geochim Cosmochim Act 51: 2707–2717. , , , .
- Dietary intake of total, animal, and vegetable protein and risk of type 2 diabetes in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)-NL Study. Diabetes Care 33: 43–48. , , , , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen isotopes in mammalian herbivores: hair δ15N values from a controlled feeding study. Int J Osteoarchaeol 13: 80–87. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Urinary potassium is as reliable as urinary nitrogen for use as a recovery biomarker in dietary studies of free living individuals. J Nutr 136: 1334–1340. , , .
- 2005. Urinary sucrose and fructose as biomarkers for sugar consumption. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14: 1287–1294. , , , .
- 1981. 13C evidence for dietary habits of prehistoric man in Denmark. Nature 292: 332–333. .
- 2009. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria. .
- 2011. Stable isotope analysis of modern human hair collected from Asia (China, India, Mongolia, and Pakistan). Am J Phys Anthropol 141: 440–451. , , , , , .
- 1983. Fractionation and turnover of stable isotopes in animal tissues: implications for δ13C analysis of diet. Oecologia 57: 32–37. , , , .
- 2011. Spatial distributions of carbon, nitrogen and sulfur isotope ratios in human hair across the central United States. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 25: 861–868. , , , , .
- 2003. Sources of variation in consumer-diet delta N-15 enrichment: a meta-analysis. Oecologia 136: 169–182. , .
- 1977. Isotopic evidence for early maize cultivation in New York State. Am Antiq 42: 238–242. , .
- 2003. Validity and repeatability of a simple index derived from the short physical activity questionnaire used in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study. Public Health Nutr 6: 407–413. , , , , , , .
- 2010. The effect of growth on stable nitrogen isotope ratios in subadult bone collagen. Int J Osteoarchaeol 20: 172–191. , .
- 2001. DINER (Data Into Nutrients for Epidemiological Research): a new data-entry program for nutritional analysis in the EPIC-Norfolk cohort and the 7-day diary method. Public Health Nutr 4: 1253–1265. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Improving stable isotopic interpretations made from human hair through reduction of growth cycle error. Am J Phys Anthropol 145: 125–136. , , .
- 1983. Variations of natural 13C and 15N abundances in the rat tissues and their correlation. Radioisotopes 32: 330–332. , , .
- 1996. Stable carbon and nitrogen isotopic composition of diet and hair of Gidran-speaking Papuans. Am J Phys Anthropol 100: 23–34. , , , , , , .