Body composition and cardiometabolic disease risk factors in captive baboons (Papio hamadryas sp.): Sexual dimorphism
Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
American Journal of Physical Anthropology
Volume 153, Issue 1, pages 9–14, January 2014
How to Cite
Higgins, P. B., Rodriguez, P. J., Voruganti, V. S., Mattern, V., Bastarrachea, R. A., Rice, K., Raabe, T. and Comuzzie, A. G. (2014), Body composition and cardiometabolic disease risk factors in captive baboons (Papio hamadryas sp.): Sexual dimorphism. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 153: 9–14. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.22357
- Issue published online: 9 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 6 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2013
- Research Facilities Improvement Program C06 RR from the National Center for Research Resources. Grant Numbers: 014578, 013556, 015456, 017515
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: PO1 HL028972, P51 RR013986
- Brackenridge Foundation of San Antonio and TX (postdoctoral fellowship to PBH)
- 2003. Serum leptin levels as a marker for syndrome X-like condition in wild baboons. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1234–1240. , , , , .
- 1972. Blood pressure and serum cholesterol in the Hadza of Tanzania. Hum Biol 44:87–116. , , , , .
- 2009. Association of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 with adipocyte number, insulin resistance, and liver function markers. J Med Primatol 38:1–7. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. How to measure insulin clearance. Diabetes Metab Rev 10:119–150. , , , .
- 2008. Physiological and molecular determinants of insulin action in the baboon. Diabetes 57:899–908. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Predictive models of insulin resistance derived from simple morphometric and biochemical indices related to obesity and the metabolic syndrome in baboons. Cardiovasc Diabetol 8:22. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The baboon as a nonhuman primate model for the study of the genetics of obesity. Obesity 11:75–80. , , , , , , .
- 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18:499–502. , , .
- 1984. Weight growth in savannah baboons: a longitudinal study from birth to adulthood. Growth 48:425–433. , , , .
- 2009. Pancreatic islet amyloidosis, beta-cell apoptosis, and alpha-cell proliferation are determinants of islet remodeling in type-2 diabetic baboons. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106:13992–13997. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Eight week exposure to a high sugar high fat diet results in adiposity gain and alterations in metabolic biomarkers in baboons (Papio hamadryas sp.). Cardiovasc Diabetol 9:71. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Role of body fat distribution and the metabolic complications of obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93 S1:S57–S63. .
- 2012. Sex differences in human adipose tissues: the biology of the pear shape. Biol Sex Diff 3:13. , , , .
- 2009. Metabolic diseases and associated complications: sex and gender matter! Eur J Clin Invest 39:631–648. , .
- 2002. Effects of food availability on serum insulin and lipid concentrations in free-ranging baboons. Am J Primatol 57:13–19. , , , , , .
- 2002. Is the gender difference in LDL size explained by the metabolic complication of visceral obesity? Eur J Clin Invest 32:909–917. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Metabolic actions of insulin in men and women. Nutrition 26:686–693. , , .
- 1993. Cross-sectional growth standards for captive baboons: II. Organ weight by body weight. J Med Primatol 22:415–427. , , , .
- 2003. Prevalence and characteristics of the metabolic syndrome in the San Antonio Heart and Framingham Offspring Studies. Diabetes 52:2160–2167. , , , , , .
- 2012. Impaired insulin-mediated antilipolysis and lactate release in adipose tissue of upper-body obese women. Obesity 20:57–64. , , , , .
- 2012. Determinants of VLDL-triglycerides production. Curr Opin Lipidol 23:321–326. , .
- 2009. Ultrasound techniques applied to body fat measurement in male and female athletes. J Athl Train 44:142–147. , , .
- 2008. Sex differences in fat storage, fat metabolism, and the health risks from obesity: possible evolutionary origins. Br J Nutr 99:931–940. , .
- 1993. Postprandial free fatty acid kinetics are abnormal in upper body obesity. Diabetes 42:1567–1573. , .
- 2011. Increased VLDL-triglyceride secretion precedes impaired control of endogenous glucose production in obese, normoglycemic men. Diabetes 60:2257–2264. , , , et al.
- 2012. Sex differences in lipid metabolism and metabolic disease risk. Biochem Cell Biol 90:124–141. , .
- 2004. Adiponectin but not resistin is associated with insulin resistance-related phenotypes in baboons. Obesity 12:871–877. , , , , , , .
- 1968. Serum lipids in Bushmen. Lancet 2:684. , .
- 2009. Introduction. In: VandeBerg JL, Williams-Blangero S, Tardif SD, editors. The baboon in biomedical research. New York: Springer. p xvii–xxiii. .
- 2008. Sex differences in lipid and lipoprotein metabolism: it's not just about the sex hormones. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:885–893. , , .