The copyright line for this article was changed on 9 December 2015 after original online publication.
Birth month associations with height, head circumference, and limb lengths among peruvian children
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2014
Copyright © 2014 The Authors. American Journal of Physical Anthropology Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
American Journal of Physical Anthropology
Volume 154, Issue 1, pages 115–124, May 2014
How to Cite
Pomeroy, E., Wells, J. C.K., Stanojevic, S., Miranda, J. J., Cole, T. J. and Stock, J. T. (2014), Birth month associations with height, head circumference, and limb lengths among peruvian children. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol., 154: 115–124. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.22484
- Issue online: 8 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 21 OCT 2013
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (UK)
- University of Cambridge Centre for Latin American Studies Abbey-Santander Travel Grants
- Henry Sidgwick Research Fellowship from Newnham College, Cambridge
- CRONICAS Center of Excellence in Chronic Diseases at the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia
- National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services. Grant Number: HHSN268200900033C
- Medical Research Council. Grant Number: MR/J004839/1
- 1983. Seasonal variation in pre- and postpartum maternal body measurements and infant birth weights. Am J Phys Anthropol 62:325–331. , .
- 2002. High-altitude growth differences among Chinese and Tibetan children. In: Gilli G, Schell LM, Benso L editors. Human growth from conception to maturity. London: Smith–Gordon. p 237–247. , .
- 2007. Tradeoffs between oxygen and energy in tibial growth at high altitude. Am J Hum Biol 19:662–668. , , , , , .
- 2001. Month of birth and height of Spanish middle-aged men. Ann Hum Biol 28:15–20. , , , , .
- 1978. Seasonal pattern in the rate of growth in height of children living in Guatemala. Am J Phys Anthropol 49:205–210. .
- 1999. Patterns of human growth. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2012. Low birth weight does not predict the ontogeny of relative leg length of infants and children: an allometric analysis of the NHANES III sample. Am J Phys Anthropol 148:487–494. , .
- 2002. Rapid change in height and body proportions of Maya American children. Am J Hum Biol 14:753–761. , , , , .
- 2010. Leg length, body proportion, and health: a review with a note on beauty. Int J Env Res Public Health 7:1047–1075. , .
- 2003. Increased fetal adiposity: a very sensitive marker of abnormal in utero development. Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1698–1704. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of nutritional status on diarrhea in Peruvian children. J Pediatr 140:210–218. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Seasonality in birth weight: review of global patterns and potential causes. Hum Biol 81:463–477. , , , .
- 2007. Seasonality in birth weight in Israel: new evidence suggests several global patterns and different etiologies. Ann Epidemiol 17:440–446. , , , .
- 2002. Sitting height and subischial leg length centile curves for boys and girls from Southeast England. Ann Hum Biol 29:290–305. , , , .
- 2001. Leg length, insulin resistance, and coronary heart disease risk: the Caerphilly Study. J Epidemiol Commun Health 55:867–872. , , , , , .
- 2007. Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents. Bull World Health Organ 85:660–667. , , , , , .
- 2008. Systematic review of the efficacy and effectiveness of complementary feeding interventions in developing countries. Mat Child Nutr 4(Suppl 1):24–85. , .
- 1989. A comparison of seasonal variation in birthweights between rural Zaire and Ontario. Can J Public Health 80:205–208. , .
- 2009. Chronobiological analysis techniques. Application to blood pressure. Philos Trans R Soc A 367:431–445. , , .
- 2005. Nationwide age references for sitting height, leg length, and sitting height/height ratio, and their diagnostic value for disproportionate growth disorders. Arch Dis Child 90:807–812. , , , , , .
- 2007. Relative leg length as a biological marker to trace the developmental history of individuals and populations: growth delay and increased body fat. Am J Hum Biol 19:703–710. .
- 1975. Pattern of growth of lowland and highland Peruvian Quechua of similar genetic composition. Hum Biol 47:233–243. , , and .
- 2006. Early life factors are determinants of female height at age 19 years in a population-based birth cohort (Pelotas, Brazil). J Nutr 136:473–478. , , , , .
- 1996. Age at menarche in Peruvian girls at sea level and at high altitude: effect of ethnic background and socioeconomic status. Am J Hum Biol 8:457–463. , , .
- 2002. Can adult anthropometry be used as a 'biomarker' for prenatal and childhood exposures? Int J Epidemiol 31:390–394. .
- 1998b. Socio-economic and dietary influences on leg length and trunk length in childhood: a reanalysis of the Carnegie (Boyd Orr) survey of diet and health in prewar Britain (1937–39). Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 12 (Suppl 1):96–113. , , , , .
- 1998a. Childhood leg length and adult mortality: follow up of the Carnegie (Boyd Orr) Survey of Diet and Health in Pre-war Britain. J Epidemiol Commun Health 52:142–152. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Separating in-utero and postnatal influences on later disease. Lancet 354:1526–1527. , , , , , .
- 1977. The effects of high altitude on body size and composition of the newborn infant in Southern Peru. Hum Biol 49:611–628. , , .
- 2004. Complex interactions with infection and diet may explain seasonal growth responses to vitamin A in preschool aged Indonesian children. Eur J Clin Nutr 58:990–999. , , .
- 2002. The relative strength of weight and length at birth in contrast to social factors as determinants of height at 18 years in Brazil. Ann Hum Biol 29:627–640. , , , , .
- 1992. Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus: The thrifty phenotype hypothesis. Diabetologia 35:595–601. , .
- 1990. Height and weight differences among South African Urban schoolchildren born in various months of the year. Am J Hum Biol 2:227–233. , .
- 1993. Further studies on the month-of-birth effect on body size: rural schoolchildren and an animal model. Am J Phys Anthropol 91:235–244. , .
- 2011. Photobiology of vitamin D. In: Feldman D, Pike JW, Adams JS, editors. Vitamin D: Volume 1. New York, Academic Press. p 13–22. .
- 2012. Socioeconomic differences in childhood growth trajectories: at what age do height inequalities emerge? J Epidemiol Commun Health 66:143–148. , , , , , .
- 2010. Human skin pigmentation as an adaptation to UV radiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 107(Suppl 2):8962–8968. , .
- 1993. Seasonal variation of birth weight distribution in Morogoro, Tanzania. East Afr Med J 70:752–755. .
- 2004. Month-of-birth effect on height and weight in Polish rural children. Am J Hum Biol 16:31–42. , , .
- 2011. Season of birth and subsequent body size: the potential role of prenatal vitamin D. Am J Hum Biol 23:190–200. , , .
- 2003. Prenatal smoke exposure alters growth in limb proportions and head shape in the midgestation human fetus. Am J Hum Biol 15:533–546. , , .
- 2004. Exposure to maternal diabetes is associated with altered fetal growth patterns: a hypothesis regarding metabolic allocation to growth under hyperglycemic-hypoxemic conditions. Am J Hum Biol 16:237–263. , .
- 2005. The association of ambient outdoor temperature throughout pregnancy and offspring birthweight: findings from the Aberdeen Children of the 1950s cohort. BJOG 112:647–657. , , .
- 2006. Seasonal patterns and preterm birth: a systematic review of the literature and an analysis in a London-based cohort. BJOG 113:1280–1288. , , .
- 1951. Growth and health. Br J Nutr 5:142–151. .
- 1991. Age and sex differences in the impact of seasonal energy stress among Andean agriculturalists. Hum Ecol 19:351–368. .
- 1990. Contributions of nutrition vs. hypoxia to growth in rural Andean populations. Am J Hum Biol 2:613–626. , , , .
- 1989. Biosocial responses to seasonal food stress in highland Peru. Hum Biol 61:65–85. , .
- 2007. Early life influences on adult leg and trunk length in the 1958 British birth cohort. Am J Hum Biol 19:836–843. , , .
- 1997. The effect of smoking tobacco on neonatal body composition. Am J Obstet Gynecol 177:1124–1128. , , .
- 1991. Programming by early nutrition in man. In: Bock GR, Whelan J, editors. The childhood environment and adult disease. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons Ltd. p 38–55. .
- 2000. The impact of infection and nutrition on gut function and growth in childhood. Proc Nutr Soc 59:147–154. .
- 1994. Reversibility of stunting: epidemiological findings in children from developing countries. Eur J Clin Nutr 48 (Suppl 1):S45–S57. , , .
- 1995. Geographic differences in seasonal variation of mean birth weight in Japan. Hum Biol 67:641–656. , , , , , .
- 1993. Seasonality of mean birth weight and mean gestational period in Japan. Hum Biol 65:481–501. , , , .
- 2005a. The association between birth weight, season of birth and latitude. Ann Hum Biol 32:547–559. , , .
- 2007. The impact of nonlinear exposure-risk relationships on seasonal time-series data: modelling Danish neonatal birth anthropometric data. BMC Med Res Methodol 7:45. , , , , , .
- 2005b. Seasonal fluctuations in birth weight and neonatal limb length; does prenatal vitamin D influence neonatal size and shape? Early Hum Dev 81:609–618. , , , , , .
- 2006. Season of birth is associated with anthropometric and neurocognitive outcomes during infancy and childhood in a general population birth cohort. Schizophr Res 81:91–100. , , , .
- 1999. Secular change in long bone length and proportion in the United States, 1800–1970. Am J Phys Anthropol 110:57–67. , .
- 2004. Shifts in percentiles of growth during early childhood: analysis of longitudinal data from the California Child Health and Development Study. Pediatr 113:e617–e627. , , , .
- 2009. The effect on cardiovascular risk factors of migration from rural to urban areas in Peru: PERU MIGRANT Study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 9:23. , , , .
- 2011. Differences in cardiovascular risk factors in rural, urban and rural-to-urban migrants in Peru. Heart 97:787–796. , , .
- 1978. Social adaptation to the mountain environment of an Andean village. In: Luchok J, Cawthon JD, Breslin MJ, editors. Hill lands: proceedings of an international symposium. Morgantown: West Virginia University Press. p 187–198. .
- 1991. Peasants on the Edge: Crop, Cult, and Crisis in the Andes. Austin: University of Texas Press. .
- 1997. Season of birth predicts mortality in rural Gambia. Nature 388:434. , , , , , , .
- 1978. A multinational Andean genetic and health program: growth and development in an hypoxic environment. Ann Hum Biol 5:329–352. , , , , .
- 2000. Season and outdoor ambient temperature: effects on birth weight. Obs Gynecol 96:689–695. , , , , , .
- 2009. Child health and living at high altitude. Arch Dis Child 94:806–811. , , .
- 1978. Altitude, heredity and body proportions in northern Chile. Am J Phys Anthropol 50:39–50. , , .
- 1989. Seasonality and weight gain during the first year of life. Am J Hum Biol 1:747–756. , .
- 2012. Trade-offs in relative limb length among peruvian children: extending the thrifty phenotype hypothesis to limb proportions. PLoS One 7:e51795. , , , , , .
- 2013. Associations between arterial oxygen saturation, body size and limb measurements among high-altitude Andean children. Am J Hum Biol 25:629–636. , , , , , .
- 2008. Body height differentiation by season of birth: girls from Cracow, Poland. Anthropol Rev 71:3. , , .
- 2005. Differential effects of seasonality on preterm birth and intrauterine growth restriction in rural Africans. Am J Clin Nutr 81:134–139. , , .
- 1982. Seasonal changes in activity, birth weight and lactational performance in rural Gambian women. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 76:668–678. , , , .
- 1988. Impact of infection on the growth of children from 0 to 2 years in an urban West African community. Am J Clin Nutr 47:134–138. , , .
- Samaras TT, editor. 2007. Human body size and the laws of scaling: physiological, performance, growth, longevity and ecological ramifications. New York: Nova Science Publishers Inc.
- 1995. Age differences in the impact of nutritional supplementation on growth. J Nutr 125(4 (Suppl.)):1051–1059. , , , , .
- 1997. Synergism of nutrition, infection, and immunity: An overview. Am J Clin Nutr 66:464S–477S. , .
- 2006. Effect of prenatal food supplementation on birth weight: an observational study from Bangladesh. Am J Clin Nutri 83:1355–1361. , , , , .
- 1979. Season of birth and variations in stature, body mass, and performance. Hum Biol 51:299–316. , , , , , .
- 1976. Shifting linear growth during infancy: illustration of genetic factors in growth from fetal life through infancy. J Pediatr 89:225–230. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Growth patterns in early childhood and final attained stature: data from five birth cohorts from low- and middle-income countries. Am J Hum Biol 22:353–359. , , , , , , , , , , , on Behalf of the Cohorts Group.
- 1990. Variation in body size and shape among South American Indians. Am J Hum Biol 2:37–51. .
- 2009. Nutritional, developmental, and genetic influences on relative sitting height at high altitude. Am J Hum Biol 21:606–613. .
- 1978. Body proportions of highland and lowland Peruvian Quechua children. Human Biol 50(1):57–68. , .
- 2007. Correlation of month and season of birth with height, weight and degree of obesity of rural Japanese children. J Med Invest 54:133–139. , , , , , .
- 1976. Physical and biotic environment of southern highland Peru. In: Baker PT, Little MA, editors. Man in the Andes: a multidisciplinary study of high-altitude Quechua. Stroudsburg, P.A: Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross Inc. p 21–59. , .
- 2010. Seasonality of birth weight in Chile: environmental and socioeconomic factors. Ann Epidemiol 20:818–826. , .
- 2002. Leg and trunk length at 43 years in relation to childhood health, diet and family circumstances; evidence from the 1946 national birth cohort. Int J Epidemiol 31:383–390. , , , , .
- 2000. The effects of pre- and post-natal sunlight exposure on human growth: evidence from the Southern Hemisphere. Early Hum Dev 60:35–42. , , , .
- 1976. Morbidity and postneonatal mortality. In: Baker PT, Little MA, editors. Man in the Andes: A Multidisciplinary Study of High Altitude Quechua. Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania: Dowden, Hutchinson and Ross, Inc. p 147–160. .
- 1998. Height depends on month of birth. Nature 391:754–755. , , .
- 2003. The thrifty phenotype hypothesis: thrifty offspring or thrifty mother? J Theor Biol 221:143–161. .
- 2008. Childhood circumstances and anthropometry: The Boyd Orr cohort. Ann Hum Biol 35:518–534. , , , , .
- WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study Group. 2006. WHO child growth standards: length/height-for-age, weight-for-age, weight-for-length, weight-for-height and body mass index-for-age: methods and development. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- 2011. How useful is BMI in predicting adiposity indicators in a sample of maya children and women with high levels of stunting? Am J Hum Biol 23: 780–789. , , , , , .
- 1998. Secular and seasonal variation of length and weight at birth. Lancet 352:1990. , , , , .
- World Medical Association. 2008. WMA declaration of Helsinki – ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. World Medical Association: http://www.wma.net/en/30publications/10policies/b3/ accessed 03/05/2011.