Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
Role of endogenous testosterone concentration in pediatric stroke†
Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2009
Copyright © 2009 American Neurological Association
Annals of Neurology
Volume 66, Issue 6, pages 754–758, December 2009
How to Cite
Normann, S., de Veber, G., Fobker, M., Langer, C., Kenet, G., Bernard, T. J., Fiedler, B., Sträter, R., Goldenberg, N. A. and Nowak-Göttl, U. (2009), Role of endogenous testosterone concentration in pediatric stroke. Ann Neurol., 66: 754–758. doi: 10.1002/ana.21840
- Issue online: 23 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2009
- Accepted manuscript online: 21 AUG 2009 12:00AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 1 AUG 2009
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAY 2009
- Surveillance Unit of Rare Pediatric Diseases in Germany (ESPED, Supplementary Material)
- Stiftung Deutsche Schlaganfall-Hilfe
- Pediatric Stroke and Thrombosis Foundation e.V.
- Career Development Award from the National Institutes of Health
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Grant Number: 1K23HL084055-01A1
- National Centers for Research Resources. Grant Number: KL2RR025779
- 1BondyPK, RosenbergLE, eds. Metabolic Control and Disease. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders; 1980: 1535–1578.
- 2The validity of androgen assays. Aging Male 2007; 10: 165–172., , .
- 3Diurnal rhythms of serum total, free and bioavailable testosterone and SHBG in middle-aged men compared with those in young men. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2003; 58: 710–717., , , , .
- 4Neonatal arterial ischemic stroke and cerebral sinovenous thrombosis are more commonly diagnosed in boys. J Child Neurol 2004; 19: 493–497., , , et al.
- 5Perinatal stroke in Saudi children. Clinical features and risk factors. Saudi Med J 2006; 27(suppl 1): S35–S40., , , et al.
- 6Risk of recurrent childhood arterial ischemic stroke in a population-based cohort: the importance of cerebrovascular imaging. Pediatrics 2007; 119: 495–501., , , .
- 7Male predominance in childhood ischaemic stroke and cerebral sinovenous thrombosis: findings from the International Pediatric Stroke Study. Stroke 2009; 40: 52–57., , , .
- 8Prospective assessment of risk factors for recurrent stroke during childhood—a 5-year follow-up study. Lancet 2002; 360: 1540–1545., , , et al.
- 9Anticoagulation in childhood-onset arterial ischemic stroke with Nonmoyamoya arteriopathy: findings from the colorado and German (COAG) collaboration. Stroke 2009; 40: 2869–2871., , , , , .
- 10Risk factors for recurrent venous thromboembolism in the European collaborative paediatric database on cerebral venous thrombosis: a multicentre cohort study. Lancet Neurology 2007; 6: 595–603., , , et al.
- 11Growth at Adolescence. 2nd ed. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications; 1962..
- 12Neonatal symptomatic thromboembolism in Germany: two year survey. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 1997; 76: F163–F167., , .
- 13Acute myocardial infarction in a 22-year-old world class weight lifter using anabolic steroids. Am J Cardiol 1988; 62: 164., , , .
- 14Anabolic-androgenic steroids and a stroke in an athlete: case report. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1988; 69: 632–633., , .
- 15Mesterolone: thrombosis during treatment and a study of its prothrombotic effects. Br J Clin Pharmacol 1979; 7: 107–109., , , et al.
- 16Superior sagittal sinus thrombosis associated with androgen therapy for hypoplastic anemia. Ann Neurol 1982; 12: 578–580., , , et al.
- 17Cerebrovascular accident associated with testosterone therapy in a 21-year-old hypogonadal man. N Engl J Med 1986; 314: 645–650., , , et al.
- 18Testosterone potentiation of ionophore and ADP induced platelet aggregation: relationship to arachidonic acid and metabolism. Thromb Haemost 1981; 46: 538–542., , .
- 19Effects of androgens on haemostasis. Maturitas 1996; 24: 147–155..
- 20Testosterone inhibits prostacyclin production by rat aortic smooth muscle cells in culture. Atherosclerosis 1981; 39: 203–209., , , .
- 21Abnormal platelet function in Kallman syndrome. Lancet 1986; 8499: 166., , , .
- 22Haemostatic effects of supraphysiological levels of testosterone in normal men. Thromb Haemost 1995; 74: 693–697., , .
- 23Testosterone measured by 10 immunoassays and by isotope-dilution gas chromatography-mass spectrometry in sera from 116 men, women and children. Clin Chem 2003; 49: 1381–1395., , , et al.