A review of fracturing fluid systems used for hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas wells
Version of Record online: 7 APR 2014
© 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Applied Polymer Science
Volume 131, Issue 16, August 15, 2014
How to Cite
2014), A review of fracturing fluid systems used for hydraulic fracturing of oil and gas wells. J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 131, 40735, doi: 10.1002/app.40735and (
- Issue online: 20 MAY 2014
- Version of Record online: 7 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 30 DEC 2013
- 1Reservoir Stimulation, NY and Chichester, 3rd ed., Wiley, 2000.;
- 2SPE J. 2010, 25, 327.; ;
- 3Slickwater Fracturing, Food for Thought, in SPE ATCE, Denver, Colorado, 2008.; ;
- 4J. Petroleum Tehcnol., 2010.; Hydraulic Fracturing: History of An Enduring Technology.
- 52005.; ; Measurement of Proppant Transport of Frac Fluids, in SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Dallas, Texas,
- 62009.; ; Proppant Transport in Slickwater Fracturing of Shale Gas Formations, in SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, Louisiana,
- 8Personal conversation with active operators and service companies in the Bakken shale play and the Mississippian Limestone play, 2013.
- 92013.; ; Analysis of U.S. Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid System Trends, in SPE Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference, The Woodlands,
- 102005.The Application and Technology of Slickwater Fracturing,
- 11Plan to Study the Potential Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing on Drinking Water Resources, Office of Research and Development US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington D.C., 2011.
- 12An Innovative Method for Horizontal Well Completion in Tight Shale Gas Reservoirs, in IADC/SPE Asia Pacific Drilling Technology Conference and Exhibition, Tianjin, China, 2012.
- 131993.; Enzyme Breaker for Galactomannan Based Fracturing Fluid. USA Patent 5201370, 13 April
- 14New Fluid Technology Allows Fracturing without Internal Breakers, in SPE Gas Technology Symposium, Calgary, 2002.; ; ;
- 16Shear Sensitivity of Borate Fracturing Fluids, in North American Unconventional Gas Conference and Exhibition, The Woodlands, TS, USA, 2011.; ; ;
- 182006.; Well treatment fluids containing a multimodal polymer system. US Pat 20,060,047,027 A1, March 2,
- 201996.; Fracturing Fluids and Breaker Systems—A Review of the State-of-the-Art, in SPE Eastern Regional Meeting, Columbus,
- 231993.; ; High-Temperature, Borate-Crosslinked Fracturing Fluids: A Comparison of Delay Methodology, in Production Operation Symposium, Oklahoma City,
- 241991.; New, Delayed Borate-Crosslinked Fluid Provides Improved Fracture Conductivity in High-Temperature Applications, in 66th Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition on the Society of Petroleum Engineers, Dallas,
- 26Principles of Biochemistry, 2nd, Ed., Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1996.; ; ; ;
- 271994.; Biotechnological Breakthrough Improve Performance of Moderate to High-Temperature Fracturing Applications, in SPE 69th Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans,
- 28Saudi Aramco J. Technol., 2013, 22.; ; Selecting Optimal Fracture Fluids, Breaker System and Proppant Type for Successful Hydraulic Fracturing and Enhanced Gas Production Case Studies.
- 30The Next Generation of Regenerative Catalytic Breakers for Use in Alkaline and High-Temperature Fracturing Fluids, in SPE International Symposium and Exhibition on Formation Damage Control, Lafayette, 2010.; ; , ,
- 312007.; ; ; ; Determining Realistic Fracture Conductivity and Understanding Its Impact on Well Performance—Theory and Field Examples, in Hydraulic Fracturing Technology Conference, College Station,
- 32SPE Product. Operat. 2006, 24, 374.; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
- 332008.; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; New Findings in Fracture Cleanup Change Industry Perceptions,
- 362010.; Improved Proppant Transport System for Slickwater Shale Fracturing, in Canadian Unconventional Resources and International Petroleum Conference, Calgary, Alberta, Canada,
- 382004.; ; ; ; ; , J. Maximizing Fracture Conductivity With Proppant Partial Monolayers: Theoritical Curiosity or Highly Productive Reality?, in SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Houston,
- 392008.; ; ; ; The Relationship Between Fracture Complexity, Reservoir Properties, and Fracture Treatment Design, in SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, Denver,
- 40SPE J. 2001, 6, 288.; ; ;
- 412005.; ; ; Comparison of Single- and Dual-Array Microseismic Mapping Techniques in the Barnett Shale., in SPE Annual Technology conference and Exhibition, Dallas,
- 422008.; ; ; Stimulating Unconventional Reservoirs: Maximizing Network Growth While Optimizing Fracture Conductivity., in SPE Unconventional Reservoirs Conference, Keystone,
- 432011.; ; A Thorough Investigation of Cleanup Efficiency Of Hydraulic Fractured Wells Using Response Surface Method," in SPE European Formation Damage Conference, Noordwijk, The Netherlands,
- 442006.; ; ; ; ; Water-Fracs: We Do Need Proppant After All?, in SPE Annual Technical Conference, San Antonio,
- 45SPE Drilling Completion 1999, 14, 4.; ; ; ; ; ; ;
- 472008.; ; Nanoparticle Associated Surfactant Micellar Fluids, in International Congress on Rheology, The society of Rheology 80th Meeting, Noordwijk, The Netherlands,
- 482013.; ; First Successful Application of an Environment Friendly Fracturing Fluid during On-The-Fly Proppant Fracturing, in 6th International Petroleum Technology Conference, Beijing, China,
- 49Internal Breakers for Viscoelastic-Surfactant Fracturing Fluids, in SPE International Symposium on Oilfield Chemistry, Houston, TX, 2007.;
- 502002.Fluids for fracturing subterranean formations. US Pat 6,468,945,
- 512002.; ; ; Foam-fluid for fracturing subterranean formations. US Pat 6,410,489,
- 53SPE Production Operations 2012, 265.;
- 54J. Petroleum Technol. 1985, 37, 10.
- 55SPE Production Eng. 1987, 2, 2.
- 562011.; ; Improved Unconventional Gas Recovery With Energized Fracturing Fluids: Montney Example, in SPE Eastern Regional Meeting, Columbus, Ohio, August 17–19,
- 582002.; A Comparison of Results of Three Different CO2 Energized Frac Fluids: A Case History, in SPE Gas Technology Symposium, Calgary, Alberta, April 30–May 2,
- 592013.Effective and Sustainable Hydraulic Fracturing: 2:Fracturing Fluid Components, INTEC,
- 60SPE Production Eng. 1986, 351.; . The Utility of CO2 as an Energizing Component for Fracturing Fluids.
- 612010.Unconventional Fracturing Fluids: What,Where and Why, Baker Hughes,
- 62Novel Associative Acrylamide-based Polymers for Proppant Transport in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids, in SPE International Symposium on Oilfield Chemistry, Woodlands, 20013.; ;
- 632013.; ; ; ; ; ; Field Case Histories of a Non-Damaging Guar Alternative for Linear Gel Application in Slickwater Fracturing, in 10th SPE International Conference and Exhibition on European Formation Damage, Noordwijk,
- 642013.; ; ; ; Alternative Polysaccharide Fracturing Fluids for Harsh Reservoir Conditions, in SPE Unconventional Resources Conference & Exhibition, Brisbane,
- 65Halliburton, 2013. Available at: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.halliburton.com%2Fpublic%2Fpe%2Fcontents%2FData_Sheets%2Fweb%2FH%2FH05667.pdf&ei=WqebUqvBBYbO2QWDwoGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNHdaanjt1_9OQOgIJ-xXTioDTfpwA&bvm=bv.57155469,d.b2I. http://www.halliburton.com/en-US/ps/stimulation/fracturing/permstim-fracturing-service.page. Last accessed January 4, 2014.
- 672002.; ; ; ; ; ; , J. Maximizing Well Production with Unique Low Molecular Weight Frac Fluid, September 29–October 2,
- 68Fracturing Fluid With Low-Polymer Loading Using a New Set of Boron Crosslinkers: Laboratory and Field Studies, in SPE International Sympsium and Exhibition on Formation Damage Control, Lafayette, 2012.; ; ; ; ; ;
- 692013.; ; Novel Controlled-Release Breakers for High-Temperature Fracturing, in SPE North Africa Technical Conference and Exhibition, Cairo,
- 702012.; ; Universal Breakers With Broad Polymer Specificity For Use In Alkaline, High-Temperature Fracturing Fluids, in SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, San Antonio,
- 712010.; ; A Review Of Successful Approach Towards Shale Play Stimulation In The Last Two Decades – A Completions Road Map To Shale Play Development, in SPE Deep Gas Conference and Exhibition, Manama, Bahrain,
- 72Fracfocus. Available at: http://fracfocus.org/sites/all/themes/fracfocus_look/images/overlay3_fracturing.png. Last accessed January 4, 2014
- 74J. Petroleum Technol. 2013.In Search of the Waterless Fracture.