We thank the Crawford School of Public Policy and CSIRO for support during the preparation of this manuscript.
Ecosystem Services and Environmental Governance: Comparing China and the U.S.
Article first published online: 2 JAN 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Asia and the Pacific Policy Studies published by Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd and Crawford School of Public Policy at The Australian National University.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 160–170, January 2014
How to Cite
Costanza, R. and Liu, S. (2014), Ecosystem Services and Environmental Governance: Comparing China and the U.S. Asia & the Pacific Policy Studies, 1: 160–170. doi: 10.1002/app5.16
- Issue published online: 28 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 2 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: NOV 2013
- Crawford School of Public Policy
- 2006) Capitalism 3.0: A Guide to Reclaiming the Commons. Berrett-Koehler, New York. (
- 2008) Creating an Earth Atmospheric Trust. Science 319, 724. , , , et al. (
- 2006) From Community-Based Resource Management to Complex Systems: The Scale Issue and Marine Commons. Ecology and Society 11, viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol11/iss1/art45/>. (
- 2006) Scale Mismatches in Management of Urban Landscapes. Ecology and Society 11, viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol11/iss2/art16/>. , , , (
- 1991) Environmental and Economy: Property Rights and Public Policy. Blackwell, Oxford, UK. (
- 2006) Scale and Cross-Scale Dynamics: Governance and Information in a Multilevel World. Ecology and Society 11, viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol11/iss2/art8/>. , , , et al. (
- 2009) Linking Social Norms to Efficient Conservation Investment in Payments for Ecosystem Services. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106(28), 11812–11817. , , , (
- Chen Y, Jessel B, Fu B, Yu X, Pittock J (eds) (2014) Ecosystem Services and Management Strategy in China. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2010) Adaptive Approaches to Biosecurity Governance. Risk Analysis 30, 1303–1314. , , , (
- 1987) Social Traps and Environmental Policy. Bioscience 37, 407–412. (
- 2008) Ecosystem Services: Multiple Classification Systems Are Needed. Biological Conservation 141(2), 350–352. (
- 1998) Principles for Sustainable Governance of the Oceans. Science 281, 198–199. , , , et al. (
- 1997) The Value of the World's Ecosystem Services and Natural Capital. Nature 387, 253–260. , , , et al. (
- 1997) Valuing Ecosystem Services with Efficiency, Fairness and Sustainability as Goals. In: Daily G (ed) Nature's Services: Societal Dependence on Natural Ecosystems, pp. 49–68. Island Press, Washington, D.C. , (
- 2012) The Authorship Structure of ‘Ecosystem Services’ as a Transdisciplinary Field of Scholarship. Ecosystem Services 1, 16–25. , (
- 2006) Scale Mismatches in Social-Ecological Systems: Causes, Consequences, and Solutions. Ecology and Society 11, viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol11/iss1/art14/>. , , (
- 1997) Nature's Services: Societal Dependence on Natural Ecosystems. Island Press, Washington, DC. (
- 2008) Where Does Biodiversity Go from Here? A Grim Business-as-Usual Forecast and a Hopeful Portfolio of Partial Solutions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105, 11579–11586. , (
- 2010) Payments for Ecosystem Services: From Local to Global. Ecological Economics 69, 2060–2068. , (
- 2005) Environmental Policy: Regional Commitment to Reducing Emissions. Nature 438, 301–302. , (
- 2002) Resilience and Sustainable Development: Building Adaptive Capacity in a World of Transformations. Ambio 31, 437–440. , , , , , (
- 1998) The Problem of Fit between Ecosystems and Institutions. IHDP Working Paper no. 2, International Human Dimensions Program on Global Environmental Change, Bonn, Germany. , , , , (
- 2007) The Problem of Fit between Ecosystems and Institutions: Ten Years Later. Ecology and Society 12, viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol12/iss1/art30/>. , , , , (
- 2000) The Concept of Scale and the Human Dimensions of Global Change: A Survey. Ecological Economics 32, 217–239. , , (
- 2011) An Integrated Assessment of Water Markets: A Cross-Country Comparison. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 5, 219–239. , , , , (
- 2002) A Typology for the Classification, Description and Valuation of Ecosystem Functions, Goods and Services. Ecological Economics 41, 393–408. , , (
- 2013) Scale Mismatches, Conservation Planning, and the Value of Social-Network Analyses. Conservation Biology 27, 35–44. , , , (
- 2000) An Assessment of Ecosystem Services: Water Flow Regulation and Hydroelectric Power Production. Ecological Applications 10, 925–936. , , (
- 1978) Adaptive Environmental Assessment and Management. Wiley, London, UK. (
- 2003) Unraveling the Central State, but How? Types of Multi-level Governance. American Political Science Review 97, 233–243. , (
- 2006) Recreation–Amenity Use and Contingent Valuation of Urban Greenspaces in Guangzhou, China. Landscape and Urban Planning 75(1–2), 81–96. , (
- 2010) Climate Policy and Action ‘Underneath’ Kyoto and Copenhagen: China and the United States. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews-Climate Change 1, 405–417. (
- 2003) Governing as Governance. Sage, London, U.K. (
- 1993) Greed, Scale Mismatch, and Learning. Ecological Applications 3, 560–564. (
- 2008) Ecological and Socioeconomic Effects of China's Policies for Ecosystem Services. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 105(28), 9477–9482. , , , , (
- 2005) China's Environment in a Globalizing World. Nature 435(7046), 1179–1186. , (
- 2010) Valuing Ecosystem Services: Theory, Practice and the Need for a Trans-disciplinary Synthesis. Ecological Economics Reviews. Book Series: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1185, 54–78. , , , (
- 2010) An Empirical Study on the Driving Mechanism of Proactive Corporate Environmental Management in China. Journal of Environmental Management 91, 1707–1717. , , , , , (
- 2007) China's Environment: Problems and Policies. World Economy 30(2), 292–307. (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2003) Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: A Framework for Assessment. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Current States and Trends. Island Press, Washington, DC.
- Murray-Darling Basin Authority (2011) Delivering a Healthy Working Basin–About the Draft Basin Plan. Murray-Darling Basin Authority, Canberra.
- 2004) Adaptive Comanagement for Building Resilience in Social-Ecological Systems. Environmental Management 34, 75–90. , , (
- 1990) Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 2002) Biological Invasion Risks and the Public Good: An Economic Perspective. Conservation Ecology 6(1), viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol6/iss1/art1/>. , , , et al. (
- 2001) Urban Ecological Systems: Linking Terrestrial Ecological, Physical, and Socioeconomic Components of Metropolitan Areas. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 32, 127–157. , , , et al. (
- 2007) The Law and Policy of Ecosystem Services. Island Press, Washington, DC. , , (
- 2008) The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity: An Interim Report. European Communities. (
- Task Force on Environmental Governance (2006) Environmental Governance in China. China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development.
- 2010) Disentangling Scale Approaches in Governance Research: Comparing Monocentric, Multilevel, and Adaptive Governance. Ecology and Society 15, viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art29/>. , , (
- 2003) Valuing Nature: Lessons Learned and Future Research Directions. Ecological Economics 46(3), 493–510. , et al. (
- United States National Research Council (2002) Predicting Invasions of Nonindigenous Plants and Plant Pests. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- 1978) Ecological Optimization and Adaptive Management. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 9, 157–188. , (
- 2009) Ecosystem Services Assessment of Two Watersheds of Lancang River in Yunnan, China with a Decision Tree Approach. Ambio 38(1), 47–54. , et al. (
- 2008) Plant Invasions in China: What Is to Be Expected in the Wake of Economic Development? Bioscience 58(5), 437–444. , (
- 2005) The Value of Gas Exchange as a Service by Rice Paddies in Suburban Shanghai, PR China. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 109(3–4), 273–283. , , , , (
- 2001) Invasive Species in China—An Overview. Biodiversity and Conservation 10(8), 1317–1341. , , , (
- 2003) Applying Contingent Valuation in China to Measure the Total Economic Value of Restoring Ecosystem Services in Ejina Region. Ecological Economics 44(2–3), 345–358. , , , , (
- 2010) Ecosystem Services Research in China: Progress and Perspective. Ecological Economics 69, 1389–1395. viewed February 2013 <http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art29/>. , , , et al. (
- 2011) Payment for Ecosysem Services in China: An Overview. Living Reviews in Landscape Research 5, viewed February 2013 <http://www.livingrevies.org/lrlr-2011-2>. , (