Marine conservation in a rapidly changing world
Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 281–287, May 2012
How to Cite
Hawkins, S. J. (2012), Marine conservation in a rapidly changing world. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 22: 281–287. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2239
- Issue online: 6 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 6 JUN 2012
- 2007. Loss status and trends for coastal marine habitats of Europe. Oceanography and Marine Biology 45: 345–405. , .
- 2011. Anthropogenic disturbance can determine the magnitude of opportunistic species responses on marine urban infrastructures. PLoS One 6: 1–9. , .
- 2005. An ecological perspective on the deployment and design of low-crested and other hard coastal defence structures. Coastal Engineering 52: 1073–1087. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Evidence for eutrophication of the Irish Sea over four decades? Limnology and Oceanography 43: 1970–1974. , , , , .
- 1961. A biologically defined exposure scale for the comparative description of rocky shores. Field Studies 1: 1–19. .
- 2002. Reorganization of North Atlantic marine copepod biodiversity and climate. Science 296: 1692–1694. , , , , .
- 2003. Plankton effect on cod recruitment in the North Sea. Nature 426: 661–664. , , , , .
- 2008. Rocky intertidal shores: prognosis for the future. In Aquatic Ecosystems: Trends and Global Prospects, (ed.). Cambridge University Press: 209–225. , , , , , .
- 2005. Slowing of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation at 25°N. Nature 438: 655–657. , , .
- 2010. The introduction of coastal infrastructure as a driver of change in marine environments. Journal of Applied Ecology 47: 26–35. , .
- Burcharth HF, Hawkins SJ, Zanuttigh B, Lamberti A. (eds). 2007. Environmental Design Guidelines for Low Crested Coastal Structures. Elsevier: Oxford.
- 2011. The pace of shifting climate in marine terrestrial ecosystems. Science 334: 652–655. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Oceanography: anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature 425: 365. , .
- 2009. Engineering novel habitat on urban infrastructure to increase intertidal biodiversity. Oecologia 161: 625–635. , .
- 2011. Evaluation of ecological engineering of “armoured” shorelines to improve their value as habitat. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400: 302–313. , .
- 2006. A continental scale evaluation of the role of limpet grazing on rocky shores. Oecologia 147: 556–564. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Global warming-enhanced stratification and mass mortality events in the Mediterranean. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106: 6176–6181. , , , , , .
- 2009. Gulf of Triests: a changing ecosystem. Journal of Geophyisical Research - Oceans 114. doi: 10.1029/2008JC004763 , , .
- 1991. Long term eutrophication effects on macrofaunal communities in the Northern Adriatic Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin 22: 503–508. , , .
- 1958. The distribution of intertidal organisms along the coasts of the English Channel. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 37: 157–208. , .
- 1975. Marine Ecology and Fisheries. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. .
- 1976. The biological response in the sea to climatic changes. Advances in Marine Biology 14: 1–122. , .
- 2008. Climate change and deepening of the North Sea fish assemblage: a biotic indicator of warming seas. Journal of Applied Ecology 45: 1029–1039. , , , , , .
- 2004. Impact of climate change on marine pelagic phenology and trophic mismatch. Nature 430: 881–884. , .
- 2011. Introductory comments – global change in marine ecosystems: patterns, processes and interactions with regional and local scale impacts. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400: 1–6. , .
- Frost MT, Jefferson R, Hawkins SJ (eds). 2006. The evaluation of time series: their scientific value and contribution to policy needs. Report prepared by the Marine Environmental Change Network (MECN) for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Marine Biological Association, Plymouth. Contract CDEP 84/5/311. Marine Biological Association Occasional Publications 22: 94
- 2003. Avoiding current oversights in marine reserve design. Ecological Applications 13: 32–46. , , .
- 2000. Temperature or transport? Range limits in marine species mediated solely by flow. American Naturalist 155: 769–789. , .
- 2011. Uncertain future of New England salt marshes. Marine Ecology Progress Series 434: 229–237. , , .
- 2004. Regional climatic warming drives long-term community changes of British marine fish. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Biological Sciences 271: 655–661. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Body size-dependent responses of a marine fish assemblage to climate change and fishing over a century-long scale. Global Change Biology 16: 517–527. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. A review of harmful algal blooms and their apparent global increase. Phycologia 32: 79–99. .
- 2010. Ocean climate change, phytoplankton community response, and harmful algal blooms: a formidable predictive challenge. Journal of Phycology 46: 220–235. .
- 1983a. Grazing of intertidal algae by marine invertebrates. Oceanography and Marine Biology Annual Review 21: 195–282. , .
- 1983b. Changes in a rocky shore community: evaluation of monitoring. Marine Environmental Research 9: 131–181. , .
- 2003. Detection of environmental change in a marine ecosystem – evidence from the western English Channel. Science of the Total Environment 310: 245–246. , , .
- 2008. Complex interactions in a rapidly changing world: responses of rocky shore communities to recent climate change. Climate Research 37: 123–133. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Consequences of climate driven biodiversity changes for ecosystem functioning of North European Rocky Shores. Marine Ecology Progress Series 396: 245–259. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010a. Managing marine species in a rapidly changing world. In Species Management: Challenges and solutions for the 21st Century, Baxter JM, Galbraith CA (eds). TSO Scotland: Edinburgh; 91–107. , , , , .
- 2010b. The Seashore. In Silent Summer: The State of Wildlife in Britain and Ireland, Maclean N (ed.). Cambridge University Press: 591–614. , , , , , .
- 2006. Living on the edge of two changing worlds: forecasting responses of rocky intertidal ecosystems to climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37: 373–404. , , , .
- 2004. Effects of changing temperature on benthic marine life in Britain and Ireland. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 14: 333–362. , , , .
- 2005. Adapting to climate change: is there scope for ecological management in the face of a global threat? Journal of Applied Ecology 42: 784–794. .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of working group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Vol. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 2001. European scale analysis of seasonal variability in limpet grazing activity and micro algal abundance. Marine Ecology Progress Series 211: 193–203. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Summer heatwaves promote blooms of harmful cyanobacteria. Global Change Biology 14: 495–512. , , , , , .
- 2001. The effects of dispersal mode on the spatial distribution patterns of intertidal molluscs. Journal of Animal Ecology 70: 641–649. , , , , .
- 2008. What is the future for marine protected areas in Irish waters? Biology and Environment – Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 108B(1): 9–14. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Individualistic species limitations of climate-induced expansions generated by meso-scale dispersal barriers. Diversity and Distributions 17: 275–286. , , , , .
- 1987. Recruitment to Northwest Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) and haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) stocks: influence of stock size and climate. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 44: 26–39. , , .
- 2005. The effects of climate change on storm surges around the United Kingdom. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 363: 1313–1328. , .
- 2010. Non-natives in MCCIP Annual Report Card 2010–11. MCCIP Science Review. , , , .
- 2005. Ecological impacts of coastal defence structures on sediment and mobile fauna: evaluating and forecasting consequences of unavoidable modifications of native habitats. Coastal Engineering 52: 1027–1051. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Enhancing stocks of the exploited limpet Patella candei d'Orbigny via modifications in coastal engineering. Biological Conservation 143: 203–211. , , , , .
- 2006. Changes in the range of some common rocky shore species. A response to climate change? Hydrobiologia 555: 241–251. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Climate change and fishing impacts on Atlantic cod, Gadhus morhua (Linnaeus) in the North Sea. Advances in Marine Biology 56: 214–249. , , .
- 2007. Role of biological habitat amelioration in altering the relative responses of congeneric species to climate change. Marine Ecology Progress Series 334: 11–19. , , .
- 2005. Low-crested coastal defence structures as artificial habitats for marine life: using ecological criteria in design. Coastal Engineering 52: 1053–1071. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Extinction, survival or recovery of large predatory fishes. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B - Biological Sciences 360(1453): 13–20. , .
- 2006. Wadden Sea mussel beds invaded by oysters and slipper limpets: competition or climate control? Hegoland Marine Research 60: 135–143. , , , .
- 2011. Spawning stock and recruitment in North Sea cod shaped by food and climate. Proceedings of the Royal Society B - Biological Sciences 278: 504–510. , , , , , .
- 2005. Anthropogenic ocean acidification over the twenty-first century and its impact on calcifying organisms. Nature 437: 681–686. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Human-induced trophic cascades and ecological regime shifts in the Baltic Sea. Ecosystems 10: 877–889. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to recent climate change. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 37: 637–669. .
- 2005. Climate change and distribution shifts in marine fishes. Science 308(5730): 1912–1915. , , , .
- 2008. Modelling the response of populations of competing species to climate change. Ecology 89: 3138–3149. , , , .
- 2004. Climate impact on plankton ecosystems in the Northeast Atlantic. Science 305: 1609–1612. , .
- 1995. Primary production in the Kattegat past and present. Ophelia 41: 317–328. , .
- 1971. Changes in biological conditions in the English Channel off Plymouth during the last half century. Nature 234: 468–470. , , , .
- 2007. Ecological and evolutionary insights from species invasions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22(9): 465–471. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Biogeographic patterns and long-term changes on New Zealand coastal reefs: non-trophic cascades from diffuse and local impacts. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400: 33–51. .
- 2011. Continental shelf-wide response of a fish assemblage to rapid warming of the sea. Current Biology 21(18): 1565–1570. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Coastline responses to changing storm patterns. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L18404. doi: 10.1029/2006GL027445 , , , .
- 2009. Irreversible climate change due to carbon dioxide emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106: 1704–1709. , , .
- 1980. The Western English Channel – an inconstant ecosystem? Nature 258: 361–366. .
- 1988. Fluctuations in the herring and pilchard fisheries of Devon and Cornwall linked to change in climate since the 16th century. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 68(3): 423–445. , , .
- 1995. Seventy years' observations of changes in distribution and abundance of zooplankton and intertidal organisms in the western English Channel in relation to rising sea temperature. Journal of Thermal Biology 20(1–2): 127–155. , , .
- 2005. Long-term oceanographic and ecological research in the Western English Channel. Advances in Marine Biology 47: 1–105. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Biodiversity, invasion resistance, and marine ecosystem function: reconciling pattern and process. Ecology 83: 2575–2590. , , , .
- 2007. Long-term changes in summer phytoplankton communites of the open northern Baltic Sea. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 71: 580–592. , , .
- 2011. Climate change impacts on the biophysics and economics of world fisheries. Nature Climate Change 1: 449–456. , , , , .
- 1996. Biologically generated habitat provision and diversity of rocky shore organisms at a hierarchy of spatial scales. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 202: 73–84. , , , , .
- 2002. Rocky intertidal communities: past environmental changes, present status and predictions for the next 25 years. Environmental Conservation 29: 168–191. , , .
- 2004. Lost at sea: where is all the plastic? Science 304: 838. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Marine algal toxins: origins, health effects, and their increased occurrence. Environmental Health Perspectives 108: 133–141. .
- 2011. Response of intertidal populations to climate: effects of extreme events versus long term change. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400: 132–144. , , , , , .
- 2008. Dynamic patterns and ecological impacts of declining ocean pH in a high-resolution multi-year dataset. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 185: 309–314. , , .