Efficacy of artificial refuge to enhance survival of young Barrens topminnows exposed to western mosquitofish
Article first published online: 5 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 65–76, January 2013
How to Cite
Westhoff, J. T., Watts, A. V. and Mattingly, H. T. (2013), Efficacy of artificial refuge to enhance survival of young Barrens topminnows exposed to western mosquitofish. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 23: 65–76. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2265
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 3 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2012
- 2007. Piscivory by the mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus): evidence from the laboratory and salt marshes. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 345: 26–37. , , , .
- 2008. Salinity mediates the competitive interactions between invasive mosquitofish and an endangered fish. Oecologia 155: 205–213. , , .
- 2004. Influence of habitat complexity on predator–prey interactions between the fish (Gambusia holbrooki) and tadpoles of Hyla squirella and Gastrophryne carolinensis. Copeia 2004: 173–177. , , .
- 2000. New dimensionless indices of structural habitat complexity: predicted and actual effects on predator's foraging success. Marine Ecology Progress Series 206: 45–58. , , .
- 2005. Competitive interactions between the Australian native fish Galaxias maculatus and the exotic mosquitofish Gambusia holbrooki, in a series of laboratory experiments. Hydrobiologia 549: 187–196. , , , , .
- 1986. Prey size selection by the mosquitofish: relation to optimal diet theory. Ecology 67: 324–336. , .
- 2007. Swimming performance of the Barrens topminnow and western mosquitofish: implications for barrier design and topminnow conservation. Master's Thesis, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tennessee. .
- 1992. Piscivory in largemouth bass as a function of aquatic vegetation abundance. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 12: 509–516. , , , .
- 1996. Refuge availability structures assemblages of tropical reef fishes. Journal of Animal Ecology 65: 414–428. , .
- 1982. Habitat structural complexity and the interaction between bluegills and their prey. Ecology 63: 1802–1813. , .
- 1979. Late Quaternary vegetation history of the eastern Highland Rim and adjacent Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee. Ecological Monographs 49: 255–280. .
- 1993. The Fishes of Tennessee. The University of Tennessee Press: Knoxville, Tennessee. , .
- 1992. Incidence and causes of physical failure of artificial habitat structures in streams of western Oregon and Washington. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 12: 182–197. , .
- 1999. Nonindigenous fishes introduced into inland waters of the United States. American Fisheries Society, Special Publication 27: Bethesda, Maryland, USA. , , .
- 1996. Effect of introduced crayfish and western mosquitofish on California newts. Conservation Biology 10: 1155–1162. , .
- 2006. Growth, body condition, reproduction and survival of stocked Barrens topminnows, Fundulus julisia (Fundulidae). American Midland Naturalist 156: 331–343. , .
- 1999. Effect of introduced mosquitofish on Pacific treefrogs and the role of alterative prey. Conservation Biology 13: 921–924. , .
- 2008. Assessment of exhaustion-threshold curves for fish volitionally swimming in culverts. Master's Thesis, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tennessee. .
- 2011. Manipulating artificial habitats to benefit seahorses in Sydney Harbour, Australia. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 21: 582–589. , , .
- 1990. The potential of artificial refugia for maintaining a community of large-bodied cladocera against fish predation in a shallow eutrophic lake. Hydrobiologia 200: 379–389. , , .
- 1998. Predation risk from piscivorous fish influencing the diel use of macrophytes by planktivorous fish in experimental ponds. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 7: 78–86. , .
- 2004. Monitoring reintroductions of the Barrens topminnow. Master's Thesis, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tennessee. .
- 2003. Threatened fishes of the world: Fundulus julisia Williams and Etnier, 1982 (Cyprinodontidae). Environmental Biology of Fishes 68: 240. , .
- 1988. Selection of habitat structure interstice size by bluegills and largemouth bass in ponds. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 117: 171–179. , , .
- 2004. Enhancing productive capacity in the Canadian Arctic: assessing the effectiveness of instream habitat structures in habitat compensation. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 133: 1356–1365. , .
- 2012. Ecological comparison between three artificial refuges and the natural habitat for Devils Hole pupfish. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 32: 224–238. , , .
- 2006. Identifying environmental conditions to promote species coexistence: an example with the native Barrens topminnow and invasive western mosquitofish. Biological Invasions 8: 719–725. , .
- 2007. Ex situ evaluation of impacts of invasive mosquitofish on the imperiled Barrens topminnow. Environmental Biology of Fishes 78: 1–11. , .
- 1999. Effects of introduced mosquitofish and bullfrogs on the threatened California red-legged frog. Conservation Biology 13: 613–622. , , , .
- 2002. An ounce of prevention or a pound of cure: bioeconomic risk analysis of invasive species. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences 269: 2407–2413. , , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of alien fish, Gambusia affinis, on an endemic California fairy shrimp, Linderiella occidentalis: implications for conservation of diversity in fishless waters. Biological Conservation 118: 57–65. , , .
- 2005. Impacts of mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis, on black mudfish, Neochanna diversus. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 39: 1215–1223. , .
- 1993. Management of indigenous fish species impacted by introduced mosquitofish: an experimental approach. The Southwestern Naturalist 38: 370–373. , .
- 1985. Predation and species replacement in American southwestern fishes: a case study. The Southwestern Naturalist 30: 173–187. .
- 1989. An ecological overview of poeciliid fishes. In Ecology and Evolution of Livebearing Fishes (Poeciliidae), Meffe GK, Snelson FF (eds). Prentice Hall: Eglewood Cliffs, NJ; 13–32. , .
- 1988. Larval size and recruitment mechanism in fishes: toward a conceptual framework. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 45: 1657–1670. , , , .
- 2004. Complex interactions between native and invasive fish: the simultaneous effects of multiple negative interactions. Oecologia 141: 713–721. , , .
- 1968. Southwestern fishes and the enigma of “endangered species”. Science 159: 1424–1432. , .
- 1996. Predation by the non-native Gambusia holbrooki on small Litoria aurea and L. dentata tadpoles. Australian Zoologist 30: 143–149. , .
- 1996. Biological invasions of freshwater: empirical rules and assembly theory. Biological Conservation 78: 49–161. , .
- 1997. Spatial scales of interannual recruitment variations of marine, anadromous, and freshwater fish. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54: 1400–1407. , , .
- 2003. Is water temperature an adequate predictor of recruitment success in cyprinid fish populations in lowland rivers? Freshwater Biology 48: 579–588. , , , .
- 1995. Prey refuges affecting interactions between piscivorous perch and juvenile perch and roach. Ecology 76: 70–81. , .
- 1997. Artificial reefs and fisheries exploitation: a review of the ‘attraction versus production’ debate, the influence of design and its significance for policy. Fisheries Research 31: 39–59. , .
- 2005. Update on the environmental and economic costs associated with alien-invasive species in the United States. Ecological Economics 53: 273–288. , , .
- 2005. A review of the biology of Gambusia affinis and Gambusia holbrooki. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 15: 339–365. .
- 2008. Plague minnow or mosquitofish? A review of the biology and impacts of introduced Gambusia species. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 39: 171–191. .
- 2008. Managing aquatic species of conservation concern in the face of climate change and invasive species. Conservation Biology 22: 551–561. , , .
- 1989. Life history and ecology of the Barrens topminnow, Fundulus julisia Williams and Etnier (Pisces, Fundulidae). Master's Thesis, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee. .
- 2005. Behavioral responses to a novel predator and competitor of invasive mosquitofish and their non-invasive relatives (Gambusia sp.). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 57: 256–266. , , .
- 1989. Poeciliid life history patterns. In Ecology and Evolution of Livebearing Fishes (Poeciliidae), Meffe GK, Snelson FF (eds). Prentice Hall: Eglewood Cliffs, NJ; 373–377. , .
- 2002. Tests of artificial substrata as nursery habitat for young fish. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 18: 102–105. , .
- 2011. Artificial macrophytes as fish habitat in a Mediterranean reservoir subjected to seasonal water level disturbances. Aquatic Sciences 73: 43–52. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Artificial structures as tools for fish habitat rehabilitation in a neotropical reservoir. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 18: 896–908. , , .
- SAS Institute. 2001. SAS® system for elementary statistical analysis. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- 2005. Introduced species as evolutionary traps. Ecology Letters 8: 241–246. , , , .
- 2009. Deleterious effects by mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) on the endangered fire salamander (Salamandra infraimmaculata). Animal Conservation 12: 29–37. , , .
- 2002. Artificial reef design: void space, complexity, and attractants. ICES Journal of Marine Science 59: S196–S200. , , .
- 1993. The influence of predator presence on utilization of artificial seagrass habitats by juvenile walleye pollock, Theragra chalcogramma. Environmental Biology of Fishes 37: 57–65. , .
- 1998. Artificial shelters for spiny lobster Panulirus argus (Latreille): an evaluation of occupancy in different benthic habitats. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 229: 1–18. , , , .
- 1976. Behavioral response of crayfish to a fish predator. Ecology 587: 751–761. , .
- 2009. Mesocosm evaluation of western mosquitofish impacts on northern starhead topminnows. Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science 118: 88–95. , , .
- 2001. Separating the effects of intra- and interspecific age-structured interactions in an experimental fish assemblage. Oecologia 1127: 143–152. , , .
- 1999. Dynamics of exploited fish populations. In Inland Fisheries Management in North America, 2nd edn, Kohler CC, Hubert WA (eds). American Fisheries Society: Bethesda, MD; 127–166. , .
- 1994. Classical biological control of environmental pests. The Florida Entomologist 77: 20–33. .
- 2009. Efficacy of in situ artificial refugia to increase recruitment of the Barrens topminnow in the presence of invasive western mosquitofish. Master's thesis, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, TN. .
- 2009. Population status and monitoring of the imperiled Barrens topminnow, Fundulus julisia: annual progress report. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Crossville, TN. , .
- 1974. Optimal foraging and the size selection of prey by the bluegill sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus). Ecology 55: 1042–1052. , .
- 1981. Optimal foraging: field tests of diet choice and habitat switching. American Zoologist 21: 813–829. , .
- 2007. Barrens topminnow coexistence with invasive western mosquitofish: the potential roles of artificial refuge and species density. Master's Thesis, Tennessee Technological University, Cookeville, Tennessee. .
- 1982. Description of a new species, Fundulus julisia, with a redescription of Fundulus albolineatus and diagnosis of the subgenus Xenisma (Teleostei: Cyprinodontidae). Occasional Papers of the Museum of Natural History, University of Kansas 102: 1–30. , .
- 1983. Growth and activity of juvenile mosquitofish: temperature and ration effects. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 112: 653–660. , .