Managed and natural inundation: benefits for conservation of native fish in a semi-arid wetland system
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 37–50, January 2013
How to Cite
Vilizzi, L., McCarthy, B. J., Scholz, O., Sharpe, C. P. and Wood, D. B. (2013), Managed and natural inundation: benefits for conservation of native fish in a semi-arid wetland system. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 23: 37–50. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2281
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 25 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 DEC 2011
- 2002. Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Australia. Western Australian Museum: Perth, Western Australia. , , .
- 2008. PERMANOVA + for PRIMER: Guide to Software and Statistical Methods. PRIMER-E Ltd: Plymouth, UK. , , .
- 1992. Age and growth of Murray cod, Maccullochella peelii (Perciformes: Percichthyidae), in the lower Murray–Darling Basin, Australia, from thin-sectioned otoliths. Australian Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 43: 983–1013. , , .
- 1993. Restoration and rehabilitation of degraded ecosystems in arid and semi-arid lands. I. A view from the south. Restoration Ecology 1: 8–17. , , , , .
- 2006. The challenge of providing environmental flow rules to sustain river ecosystems. Ecological Applications 16: 1311–1318. , , , .
- 2010. Preserving the biodiversity and ecological services of rivers: new challenges and research opportunities. Freshwater Biology 55: 1–16. , , , .
- 2009. Recruitment and abundance of an invasive fish, the common carp, is driven by its propensity to invade and reproduce in basins that experience winter-time hypoxia in interconnected lakes. Biological Invasions 12: 1101–1112. , .
- 2011. Hypoxia tolerance of hybrids of carp Cyprinus carpio and golden carp Carassius auratus. Journal of Ichthyology 51: 641–645. , .
- 2006. Fish assemblages of an Australian dryland river: abundance, assemblage structure and recruitment patterns in the Warrego River, Murray–Darling Basin. Marine and Freshwater Research 57: 619–633. , , , , , .
- 1995. The common carp, Cyprinus carpio: its wild origin, domestication in aquaculture, and selection as colour nishikigoi. Guelph Ichthyology Reviews 3: 1–55. .
- 2006. The oldest domesticated fishes, and the consequences of an epigenetic dichotomy in fish culture. Aqua, Journal of Ichthology and Aquatic Biology 11: 47–86. .
- 2009. Effects of irrigation pumps on riverine fish. Fisheries Management and Ecology 16: 429–437. , , , .
- 2000. Species boundaries in carp gudgeons (Eleotridae: Hypseleotris) from the River Murray, South Australia: evidence for multiple species and extensive hybridization. Marine and Freshwater Research 51: 805–815. , , .
- 2010. Modelling the impacts of flow regulation on fish distributions in naturally intermittent lowland streams: an approach for predicting restoration responses. Freshwater Biology 55: 1997–2010. , , , , .
- 2005. Population biology of carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) in the mid-Murray River and Barmah Forest Wetlands, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research 56: 1151–1164. , , , .
- 2002. Restoration strategies for river floodplains along large lowland rivers in Europe. Freshwater Biology 47: 889–907. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Basic principles and ecological consequences of altered flow regimes for aquatic biodiversity. Environmental Management 30: 492–507. , .
- 2006. Flow variability in dryland rivers: boom, bust and the bits in between. River Research and Applications 22: 179–186. , , , .
- CSIRO. 2008. Water availability in the Murray–Darling Basin. A report to the Australian Government from the CSIRO Sustainable Yields Project, CSIRO, Canberra, Australia.
- 2007. How do fish exploit temporary flooded waters throughout a flooding episode? Fisheries Management and Ecology 14: 269–276. , , .
- 2005. Life history trade-offs and community dynamics of small fishes in a seasonally pulsed wetland. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62: 781–790. , , .
- 2009. Golden perch Macquaria ambigua are flexible spawners in the Darling River, Australia. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 43: 571–578. , , .
- 2003. The challenge of integrating wetland inventory, assessment and monitoring. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 13: 281–286. .
- 2005. The first record of Misgurnus anguillicaudatus in Germany. Journal of Fish Biology 66: 568–571. , .
- 1998. Flooding to restore connectivity of regulated, large-river wetlands. BioScience 48: 721–733. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Synthesis of a new conceptual model to facilitate management of ephemeral deflation basin lakes. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 11: 177–188. , .
- 1992. Diel abundance, migration and feeding of fish larvae (Eleotridae) in a floodplain billabong. Journal of Fish Biology 40: 695–707. .
- 1993. Effects of river redgum, Eucalyptus camaldulensis, litter on golden perch, Macquaria ambigua. Journal of Fish Biology 43: 265–279. , , .
- 1994. Modelling the relationship between streamflow and population recruitment to manage freshwater fisheries. Agricultural Systems Information Technology 6: 28–30. , .
- 2011. Cryptic hybridization and introgression between invasive Cyprinid species Cyprinus carpio and Carassius auratus in Australia: implications for invasive species management. Animal Conservation 15: 83–94. , , , , , .
- 2004. The flood pulse concept: new aspects, approaches, and applications—an update. In Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on the Management of Large Rivers for Fisheries, Volume 2, Welcomme RL, Petr T (eds). Food and Agriculture Organization & Mekong River Commission, FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific: Bangkok. RAP Publication 2004/16; 117–149. , .
- 2007. Potential impacts of a recent and rapidly spreading coloniser of Australian freshwaters: oriental weatherloach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus). Ecology of Freshwater Fish 16: 124–132. , .
- 2007. The environmental preferences of three species of Australian freshwater fish in relation to the effects of riparian degradation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 78: 307–316. , .
- 2005. Comparison of larval fish drift in the Lower Goulburn and mid-Murray Rivers. Ecological Management and Restororation 6: 136–138. , , , , .
- 2009. Environmental flow enhances native fish spawning and recruitment in the Murray River, Australia. River Research and Applications 25: 1005–1018. , , .
- 2010. Adaptive management of an environmental watering event to enhance native fish spawning and recruitment. Freshwater Biology 55: 17–31. , , , , , .
- 2000. Ecological impacts of dams, water diversions and river management on floodplain wetlands in Australia. Austral Ecology 25: 109–127. .
- 2009. Annual survey of waterbird communities of the Living Murray icon sites – November 2008. School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of New South Wales. Report to Murray-Darling Basin Authority, Canberra, ACT, Australia. , .
- 2011. Consequences of the size structure of fish populations for their effects on a generalist avian predator. Oecologia 167: 517–530. .
- 2004. Carp (Cyprinus carpio) as a powerful invader in Australian waterways. Freshwater Biology 49: 882–894. .
- 1997. Fish recruitment to a constructed wetland. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 12: 123–129. , .
- 2007. Fishes of the Murray-Darling Basin: An Introductory Guide. Murray-Darling Basin Commission, Publication No. 10/07: Canberra, ACT, Australia. .
- 2007. Growth and reproduction of the goldfish Carassius auratus: a case study from Italy. In Freshwater Bioinvaders: Profiles, Distribution, and Threats, Gherardi F (ed). Springer: Berlin; 259–273. , , , , .
- 1993. The impact of river regulation on the hydrology of the River Murray and its ecological implications. Centre for Environmental Applied Hydrology, Department of Civil and Agricultural Engineering, The University of Melbourne and River Murray Laboratory, Department of Zoology, University of Adelaide. , , .
- 2003. Age, growth and non-flood recruitment of two potamodromous fishes in a large semi-arid/temperate river system. River Research and Applications 19: 697–719. , .
- 1996. Freshwater fishes of South-Eastern Australia. Reed Books: Chatwood, NSW, Australia. .
- 2008. Effects of DOC and DO on fish assemblages in drying stream pools. Marine and Freshwater Research 59: 177–185. , .
- 2007. Behavioural responses of a south-east Australian floodplain fish community to gradual hypoxia. Freshwater Biology 52: 412–420. , .
- MDBC. 2003. Native Fish Strategy for the Murray-Darling Basin 2003–2013. Murray-Darling Basin Commission: Canberra, ACT, Australia.
- MDBC. 2005. The Living Murray Foundation Report on the significant ecological assets targeted in the First Step Decision. Murray-Darling Basin Commission, Publication No. 09/05: Canberra, ACT, Australia.
- 1997. Modelling self-design of the aquatic community in a newly created freshwater wetland. Ecological Modelling 100: 61–86. , .
- 2011. Wetlands, 4th edn. John Wiley & Sons: New Jersey. , .
- 1998. Creating and restoring wetlands: a whole ecosystem experiment in self-design. BioScience 48: 1019–1030. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Creating riverine wetlands: Ecological succession, nutrient retention, and pulsing effects. Ecological Engineering 25: 510–527. , , , , .
- 2011. Nuptial coloration varies with ambient light environment in a freshwater fish. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 2718–2725. , , , .
- 2008. A review of recent climate variability and climate change in southeastern Australia. International Journal of Climatology 7: 859–879. , .
- 2007. Benefits to 0+ fishes of connecting man-made waterbodies to the lower River Trent, England. River Research and Applications 23: 361–376. , , .
- 2005. Managing invasive carp (Cyprinus carpio L.) for habitat enhancement at Botany Wetlands, Australia. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 15: 447–462. , , , , , .
- 1995. Hydraulic food-chain models. BioScience 45: 159–167. , , , , .
- 1990. Reproductive biology and larval development of a gizzard shad, Nematalosa erebi (Günther) (Dorosomatinae: Teleostei), in the River Murray, South Australia. Australian Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research 41: 695–712. , .
- 2004. Freshwater Fishes of North-Eastern Australia. CSIRO Publishing: Collingwood, Victoria, Australia. , , .
- 2005. A review of the biology of Gambusia affinis and G. holbrooki. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 15: 339–365. .
- 2008. Factors influencing recruitment patterns of golden perch (Macquaria ambigua oriens) within a hydrologically variable and regulated Australian tropical river system. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 17: 577–589. , , .
- 2002. The fauna of dynamic riverine landscapes. Freshwater Biology 47: 661–677. , , .
- 2004. Spawning dynamics of common carp in the River Murray, South Australia, shown by macroscopic and histological staging of gonads. Journal of Fish Biology 64: 336–354. , .
- 2005. Flood regime change in the Hattah Lakes Victoria resulting from regulation of the River Murray. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 129: 74–80. .
- 1997. Feeding strategy and growth of cyprinids in the littoral zone of Lake Balaton. Journal of Fish Biology 51: 1109–1124. , , .
- 2006. Large, regulated forest floodplain is an ideal recruitment zone for non-native common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Marine and Freshwater Research 57: 333–347. , .
- 2008. The Riverine Ecosystem Synthesis: Toward Conceptual Cohesiveness in River Science. Elsevier: Amsterdam. , , .
- 2003. A fish kill event, hypoxia and other limnological impacts associated with early wet season flow into a lake on the Mary River floodplain, tropical northern Australia. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 8: 169–176. , .
- 1996. Life history of Gambusia holbrooki (Pisces: Poeciliidae) in the Ebro delta (NE Iberian peninsula). Hydrobiologia 341: 215–224. , .
- 2011. Brief, protracted or flexible? Quantitative versus qualitative classification of spawning for fish in the Murray–Darling Basin. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 135: 1–11. .
- 1999. Age and growth of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio L. (Cyprinidae), in the River Murray, Australia: validation, consistency of age interpretation and growth models. Environmental Biology of Fishes 54: 77–106. , .
- 2006. Serial weirs, cumulative effects: the Lower River Murray, Australia. In Ecology of Desert Rivers, Kingsford RT (ed). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 248–279. .
- 1999. Conservation of wetlands in drylands: a key global issue. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 9: 517–522. .
- 2006. The Biology of Temporary Waters. Oxford University Press Inc.: New York. .