Patterns and impacts of fish bycatch in a scallop dredge fishery
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 152–170, January 2013
How to Cite
Craven, H. R., Brand, A. R. and Stewart, B. D. (2013), Patterns and impacts of fish bycatch in a scallop dredge fishery. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 23: 152–170. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2289
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 10 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 NOV 2011
- 1996. The reproduction of anglerfish Lophius piscatorius Linnaeus from the north-west coast of Scotland. Journal of Fish Biology 49: 18–39. , .
- 2011. MSC assessment report for Isle of Man queen scallop trawl and dredge fishery. Client: Isle of Man Government. Version 4: Final report. http://www.msc.org/track-a-fishery/certified/north-east-atlantic/Isle-of-Man-queen-scallop/assessment-downloads [13 September 2011]. , , .
- 1996. Catchability: a key parameter for fish stock assessment. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 6: 221–242. .
- Barne JH, Robson CF, Kaznowska SS, Doody JP, Davidson NC (eds). 1996. Coasts and Seas of the United Kingdom. Region 13 Northern Irish Sea: Colwyn Bay to Stranraer, including the Isle of Man. Joint Nature Conservation Committee: Peterborough, UK.
- 2009. Principles for the management of inshore scallop fisheries around the United Kingdom. Report to Natural England, Countryside Council for Wales and Scottish Natural Heritage: University of York, United Kingdom. , .
- 2001. The efficiency and selectivity of spring-toothed scallop dredges: a comparison of direct and indirect methods of assessment. Journal of Shellfish Research 20: 121–126. , , .
- 2003. Population dynamics and predictions in the Isle of Man fishery for the great scallop (Pecten maximus, L.). ICES Journal of Marine Science 60: 224–242. , , .
- 2005. Benefits of closed area protection for a population of scallops. Marine Ecology Progress Series 298: 189–204. , , , , .
- 2000. Impact of fishing on size composition and diversity of demersal fish communities. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57: 558–571. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of scallop-dredge disturbance in long-term changes in Irish Sea benthic communities: a re-analysis of an historical dataset. Journal of Sea Research 47: 161–184. , , .
- 2006. The European Scallop Fisheries for Pecten maximus, Aequipecten opercularis and Mimachlamys varia. In Scallops: Biology, Ecology and Aquaculture. Shumway S, Parsons GJ (eds). Elsevier: Amsterdam; 991–1058. .
- 1991. North Irish Sea scallop fisheries: a review of changes. In An International Compendium of Scallop Biology and Culture. Shumway SE, Sandifer PA (eds). World Aquaculture Society: Baton Rouge; 204–218. , , .
- 2005. Shellfish research report to the Isle of Man Government, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry. University of Liverpool, United Kingdom. , , , .
- 1977. Diving observations on the efficiency of dredges used in the Scottish fishery for the scallop, Pecten maximus (L.). Scottish Fisheries Research Report, Aberdeen, United Kingdom. , , .
- 1997. Effects of bottom fishing on the benthic megafauna of Georges Bank. Marine Ecology Progress Series 155: 159–172. , , .
- 2000. A quantitative analysis of fishing impacts on shelf-sea benthos. Journal of Animal Ecology 69: 785–798. , , , .
- 2011. Fisheries discards in the North Sea: waste of resources or a necessary evil? Reviews in Fisheries Science 19: 231–245. , .
- 2000. Fishery stability, local extinctions, and shifts in community structure in skates. Conservation Biology 14: 283–293. , , , , .
- 2009. An assessment of bycatch in the Isle of Man queen scallop trawl fishery. Report for the Isle of Man Government, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry. http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/daff/anassessmentofbycatchintheisle.pdf [19 September 2011] .
- 1992. The effects of experimental scallop dredging on the fauna and physical environment of a shallow sandy community. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research 30: 289–299. , .
- 2005. Assessing the status of demersal elasmobranchs in UK waters: a review. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 85: 1025–1047. , , , , .
- 2007. Discarding in the English Channel, Western Approaches, Celtic and Irish seas (ICES subarea VII). Fisheries Research 86: 143–152. , , .
- FAO. 2008. FISHSTAT Plus: universal software for the fishery statistical time series, version 2.3 2000. http://www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/software/fishstat/en [19 September 2011]
- Fishbase. 2010. Lophius piscatorius Linnaeus, 1758, Angler http://www.fishbase.org/search.php [18 June 2010]
- 2006. On effects of trawling, benthos and sampling design. Marine Pollution Bulletin 52: 840–843. , , , .
- 2000. Scallop dredging has profound effects, long terms impacts on maerl habitats. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57: 1407–1415. , .
- 1996. Estimation of by-catch composition and numbers of by-catch animals killed annually on Manx scallop fishing grounds. In: Aquatic Predators and their Prey, Greenstreet SPR, Tasker ML (eds). Blackwell Scientific: Oxford; 111–115. , , , , .
- 2006. Habitat association of plaice, sole, and lemon sole in the English Channel. ICES Journal of Marine Science 63: 912–927. , , , , .
- 2009. Efficiency and environmental impacts of three different Queen scallop fishing gears. Fisheries and Conservation report No. 8, Bangor University, Bangor, United Kingdom. , , .
- 2011. Complex habitat boosts scallop recruitment in a fully protected marine reserve. Marine Biology 158: 1767–1780. , , , .
- ICES. 2010. Catch statistics for ICES subarea VIIa. http://www.ices.dk/fish/CATChSTATISTICS.asp [18 June 2010]
- 2005. Age determination, growth and reproduction in the lesser-spotted dogfish, Scyliorhinus canicula (L.). Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 35: 89–106. , , .
- 2001. Impact of scallop dredging on benthic megafauna: a comparison of damage levels in capture and non-captured organisms. Marine Ecology Progress Series 215: 297–301. , , .
- 2004. Predator and scavenger aggregation to discarded by-catch from dredge fisheries: importance of damage level. Journal of Sea Research 51: 69–76. , , .
- 1998. The effects of fishing on marine ecosystems. Advances in Marine Biology 34: 201–351. , .
- 1992. Environmental impact of trawling on the sea bed: a review. NZ Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 26: 59–67. .
- 1996. Benthic disturbance by fishing gear in the Irish Sea: a comparison of beam trawling and scallop dredging. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 6: 269–285. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Global analysis of response and recovery of benthic biota to fishing. Marine Ecology Progress Series 311: 1–14. , , , , , .
- 2004. Small-scale distribution of juvenile gadoids in shallow inshore waters; what role does maerl play? ICES Journal of Marine Science 61: 422–429. , , .
- 2005. Movements and growth of monkfish Lophius piscatorius tagged at the Shetland Islands, northeastern Atlantic. Fisheries Research 71: 185–195. , , .
- 2009. Handbook of Biological Statistics, 2nd edn. Sparky House Publishing: Baltimore, ML. .
- 2006. Gear trial experiment to reduce groundfish bycatch in the offshore scallop fishery on Georges Bank – an introduction. Canadian Manuscript Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2745:1. , , , .
- 1998. Long-term impact of bottom fisheries on several by-catch species of demersal fish and benthic invertebrates in the south-eastern North Sea. ICES Journal of Marine Science 55: 342–352. .
- 2004. Ecosystem-based fishery management. Science 305: 346–347. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. The survival of discarded lesser-spotted dogfish (Scyliorhinus canicula) in the western English Channel beam trawl fishery. Fisheries Research 71: 121–124. , , .
- 2005. Survival of small-spotted catshark (Scyliorhinus canicula) discarded by trawlers in the Cantabrian Sea. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 85: 1145–1150. , , , .
- 2000. Ecosystem approaches to fishery management through essential fish habitat. Bulletin of Marine Science 66: 535–542. , , , , .
- Seafish. 2010. Responsible sourcing guide: monkfish. Version 4 May 2010. http://www.seafish.org/media/sustainability/responsible-sourcing-guides [14 September 2011]
- Sea-Fisheries (Queen Scallop Fishing) Bye-Laws. 2010. Statutory Document No, 668/10. http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/daff/Fisheries/queeniebyelawfinal07aug2010.pdf [14 May 2012]
- 2010. Strengthening recruitment of exploited scallops Pecten maximus with ocean warming. Marine Biology 157: 91–97. , , , , .
- 2002. Disturbance to marine benthic habitats by trawling and dredging: implications for marine biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecological Systems 33: 449–473. , .
- 1995. The impact of habitat disturbance by scallop dredging on marine benthic communities: what can be predicted from the results of experiments? Marine Ecology Progress Series 129: 141–150. , , , .
- 1998. Disturbance of the marine benthic habitat by commercial fishing: impacts at the scale of the fishery. Ecological Applications 8: 866–879. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Experiments in Ecology: their Logical Design and Interpretation using Analysis of Variance. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. .
- 2007. Fluctuations and forecasts in the fishery for queen scallops (Aequipecten opercularis) around the Isle of Man. ICES Journal of Marine Science 64: 1124–1135. , , .
- 2000a. An in situ study of predator aggregations on scallop (Pecten maximus (L.)) dredge discards using a static time-lapse camera system. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 255: 111–129. , , .
- 2000b. Effects of long-term physical disturbance by commercial scallop fishing on subtidal epifaunal assemblages and habitats. Marine Biology 137: 325–337. , , , .