A plant-based index of biological integrity in permanent marsh wetlands yields consistent scores in dry and wet years
Version of Record online: 15 APR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 698–709, October 2013
How to Cite
Wilson, M. J., Bayley, S. E. and Rooney, R. C. (2013), A plant-based index of biological integrity in permanent marsh wetlands yields consistent scores in dry and wet years. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 23: 698–709. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2354
- Issue online: 3 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 15 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2012
- 1989. The effects of salinity and temperature on the germination of the inland halophyte Hordeum jubatum. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 1420–1425. , .
- 2013. Effects of agricultural encroachment and drought on wetlands and shallow lakes in the boreal transition zone of Canada. Wetlands. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-012-0349-x , , .
- Beaver Hills Initiative. 2013. www.beaverhills.ab.ca [accessed 29 January 2013]
- 2003. A performance comparison of metric scoring methods for a multimetric index for Mid-Atlantic highlands streams. Environmental Management 31: 670–682. .
- City of Edmonton. 2007. Natural Connection Strategic Plan. Office of Natural Areas, Edmonton, Alberta.
- 2011. Where is the avoidance in the implementation of wetland law and policy? Wetlands Ecology and Management 19: 165–182. , , , .
- 2003. An index of plant community integrity: development of methodology for assessing prairie wetland plant communities. Ecological Indicators 3: 119–133. , , .
- 2005. Controls on runoff from a partially harvested aspen-forested headwater catchment, Boreal Plain, Canada. Hydrological Processes 19: 3–25. , , .
- Ducks Unlimited Canada. 2013. www.ducks.ca [accessed 29 January 2013]
- 2011. A multi-year comparison of IPCI scores for prairie pothole wetlands: implications of temporal and spatial variation. Wetlands 31: 713–723. , .
- 2012. Forty years of wetland conservation and wise use. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 22: 139–143. .
- 2010. Created stormwater wetlands as wetland compensation and a floristic quality approach to wetland condition assesssment in central Alberta. MSc thesis, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. .
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System. 2013. http://www.itis.gov/ [accessed 28 December 2012]
- 2012. The tragedy of the threshold: revising perceptions for aquatic conservation. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 22: 705–711. .
- 2008. Partitioning vegetation response to anthropogenic stress to develop multi-taxa wetland indicators. Ecological Applications 18: 983–1001. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Restoring Life in Running Waters: Better Biological Monitoring. Island Press: Washington, DC. , .
- 2000. Wetland Ecology: Principles and Conservation. Cambridge University Press: New York. .
- 2002. Natural and constructed wetlands in Canada: an overview. Water Quality Research Journal of Canada 37: 295–325. , .
- 2007. Developing a wetland IBI with statewide application after multiple testing iterations. Ecological Indicators 7: 864–881. .
- 2002. Analysis of Ecological Communities. MjM Software Design: Gleneden Beach, Oregon. , .
- 2006. PC-ORD: Multivariate Analysis of Ecological Data version 5. Gleneden Beach, Oregon. , .
- 2006. Adapting the floristic quality assessment index to indicate anthropogenic disturbance in central Pennsylvania wetlands. Ecological Indicators 6: 313–326. , .
- 2006. A plant-based index of biological integrity (IBI) for headwater wetlands in central Pennsylvania. Ecological Indicators 6: 290–312. , , , .
- 2012. Structural and functional loss in restored wetland ecosystems. PLoS Biology 10: 1–8. , , , .
- 2009. Precipitation variability and its relationship to hydrologic variability in Alberta. Hydrological Processes 23: 3040–3056. , , , , , .
- 2012. Reclamation of wetland habitat in the Alberta oil sands: generating assessment targets using boreal marsh vegetation communities. Ecological Indicators 15: 43–51. , .
- 2010. Quantifying a stress gradient: an objective approach to variable selection, standardization and weighting in ecosystem assessment. Ecological Indicators 10: 1174–1183. , .
- 2011. Development and testing of an index of biotic integrity based on submersed and floating vegetation and its application to assess reclamation wetlands in Alberta's oil sands area, Canada. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 184: 749–761. , .
- 2012. Community congruence of plants, invertebrates and birds in natural and constructed shallow open-water wetlands: do we need to monitor multiple assemblages? Ecological Indicators 20: 42–50. , .
- 2001. Development of multimetric indices of biotic integrity for riverine and palustrine wetland plant communities along Southern Lake Michigan. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management 4: 293–309. , , .
- 2005. Interaction of groundwater and shallow lakes on outwash sediments in the sub-humid Boreal Plains of Canada. Journal of Hydrology 314: 246–262. , , .
- 1971. Classification of natural ponds and lakes in the glaciated prairie region. US Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington. , .
- 1994. Plants of the Chicago Region, 4th edn. Morton Arboretum: Lisle, IL. , .
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Lake and reservoir bioassessment and biocriteria: Technical guidance document. US Environnental Protection Agency Office of Water, Washington, DC.
- 1998. The groundwater recharge function of small wetlands in semi-arid northern prairies. Great Plains Research 8: 39–56. , .
- 2003. Comparing the hydrology of grassed and cultivated catchments in the semi-arid Canadian prairies. Hydrological Processes 17: 559–575. , , .
- 1978. The role of seed banks in the vegetation dynamics of prairie glacial marshes. Ecology 59: 322–335. , .
- 2011. Salinization alters ecosystem structure in urban stormwater detention ponds. Urban Ecosystems 14: 723–736. , , .
- 2002. Hydrologic variability and the application of index of biotic integrity metrics to wetlands: a Great Lakes evaluation. Wetlands 22: 588–615. , , , , , .
- 2011. From metrics to Monet: the need for an ecologically meaningful guiding image. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 21: 601–603. .
- 2012. Use of single versus multiple biotic communities as indicators of biological integrity in northern prairie wetlands. Ecological Indicators 20: 187–195. , .
- Floristic quality assessment for marshes in Alberta's northern prairie and boreal regions. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management. , , . In press.