Which factors strongly influence the sinking speed of a demersal longline?
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 118–134, February 2014
How to Cite
Lee, J., Lee, C.-W., Karlsen, L., Kim, T. and Song, J. (2014), Which factors strongly influence the sinking speed of a demersal longline?. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 24: 118–134. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2399
- Issue published online: 15 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 OCT 2012
- Ministry of Education Science and Technology. Grant Number: NRF-2012R1A1A1011106
- 1996. Longlining. Fishing News Books. Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford. , .
- 1984. Fish Catching Methods of the World. Fishing News Books: Farnham, Surrey. .
- 1999. The incidental catch of seabirds by longline fisheries: worldwide review and technical guidelines for mitigation. FAO Fisheries Circular No. 937. Rome, Italy. , , .
- 1986. Calculations for Fishing Gear Designs. Fishing News Books: Farnham, Surrey. .
- 2009. Mechanics of Materials, 7th edn, CL-Engineering: Stamford. , .
- 1994. Freezing and refrigerated storage in fisheries. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO Fisheries Technical Paper 340, Rome, Italy. , , , .
- 2008. Dynamic simulation of a fish cage system subjected to currents and waves. Ocean Engineering 35: 1521–1532. , , , , , .
- 2005. Dynamic simulation of tuna longline gear using numerical methods. Fisheries Science 71: 1287–1294. , , .
- 2008. A method for improving the dynamic simulation efficiency of underwater flexible structures by implementing non-active points in modeling. ICES Journal of Marine Science 65: 1552–1558. , , .
- 2011. Sea trials and application of a numerical method for the analysis of the ocean current displacement phenomena of demersal longlines. Ocean Engineering 38: 1744–1754. , , .
- 1998. Seabird by-catch and bait loss in long-lining using different setting methods. ICES Journal of Marine Science 55: 145–149. .
- 2008. Optimizing tori line designs for pelagic tuna longline fisheries. Report of work under New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries Special Permit 355, Washington Sea Grant, 1–18, Washington, DC. , .
- 2001. Solutions to seabird bycatch in Alask's demersal longline fisheries. Report of Project A/FP-7, Washington Sea Grant, WSG-AS 01–01, University of Washington, Washington, DC. , , , .
- 2006. Three-dimensional underwater shape measurement of tuna longline using ultrasonic positioning system and ORBCOMM buoy. Fisheries Science 72: 63–68. , , , , , .
- 1999. Estimating the underwater shape of tuna longlines with micro-bathythermographs. Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission, Special Report 10, La Jolla, CA. , , , .
- 1959. A method of computation for structural dynamics. Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE 85(EM3): 67–94. .
- 2000. Preliminary performance assessment of an underwater line setting device for pelagic longline fishing. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 34: 455–461. , .
- 1990. Fisherman's Workbook. Fishing News Books, Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford. .
- 1973. Anchor-last Deployment Procedure for Mooring. Project report for the Ocean Science and Technology Division, US Office of Naval Research N00014-67-A-0369-0007, Project NR083-102, Oregon State University, Oregon. , .
- 2003. How fast do demersal longlines sink? Fisheries Research 62: 385–388. , , , .
- 2010. Experimental determinations of factors affecting the sinking rates of baited hooks to minimize seabird mortality in pelagic longline fisheries. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 20: 632–643. , , , .
- 1998. Sinking movement of a hook of tuna longline immediately after shooting observed by small time-depth recorder. Working Group Paper, CCSBT-ERS/9806/12. CCSBT, Canberra, Australia. , .
- 2001. Longline sink rates of an autoline vessel and notes on seabird interactions. Science for Conservation 183: 32. .
- 2004. Validity and layout of ‘NaLA’: a net configuration and loading analysis system. Fisheries Research 65: 235–243. , , , , .
- 2007. On the added mass force at finite Reynolds and acceleration numbers. Journal of Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics 21: 147–153. , .