Recent human-induced salinity changes in Ramsar-listed Orielton Lagoon, south-east Tasmania, Australia: a new approach for coastal lagoon conservation and management
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 51–70, January/February 2007
How to Cite
Saunders, K. M., Mcminn, A., Roberts, D., Hodgson, D. A. and Heijnis, H. (2007), Recent human-induced salinity changes in Ramsar-listed Orielton Lagoon, south-east Tasmania, Australia: a new approach for coastal lagoon conservation and management. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 17: 51–70. doi: 10.1002/aqc.732
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 14 APR 2005
- Manuscript Received: 28 NOV 2004
- 1992. Learning from the past: diatoms as palaeoecological indicators of changes in marine environments. Netherlands Journal of Aquatic Ecology 26: 19–30. , .
- 2001. Chronostratigraphic techniques in recent sediments. In Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments, LastWM, SmolJP (eds). Kluwer: Dordrecht; 171–203. .
- 2001. Diatoms. In Tracking Environmental Change Using Lake Sediments: Terrestrial, Algal and Siliceous Indicators, SmolJP, BirksHJB, LastWM (eds). Kluwer: Dordrecht; 155–202. , , , , , , .
- 1994. A diatom–phosphorus transfer function for shallow, eutrophic ponds in southwest England. Hydrobiologia 275/276: 391–410. .
- 2001. 210Pb and 137Cs dating methods in lakes: a retrospective study. Journal of Paleolimnology 25: 455–465. , .
- 2000. Estuaries and lagoons. In Coastal Geomorphology: An Introduction, BirdECF (ed.). John Wiley: Chichester; 221–248. .
- 1990. Diatoms and pH reconstructions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences 327: 263–278. , , , , .
- 2001. Land-use influence on stream water quality and diatom communities in Victoria, Australia: a response to secondary salinization. Hydrobiologia 466: 231–244. , .
- 1992. Classification of clastic coastal depositional environments. Sedimentary Geology 80: 139–150. , , .
- 1992. Coastal eutrophication: a study of Orielton Lagoon. Honours thesis, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Tasmania. .
- 1986. Diatom flora of an Australian river system: spatial patterns and environmental relationships. Freshwater Biology 16: 805–819. .
- 1999. Late Pleistocene vegetation and climate history of Lake Selina, western Tasmania. Quaternary International 57/58: 5–23. , , , .
- 1999. Estuarine palaeoenvironmental reconstructions using diatoms. In The Diatoms: Applications for the Environmental and Earth Sciences, StoermerEF, SmolJP (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 352–373. .
- 2003. Environmental changes in man-made coastal dune pools since 1850 as indicated by sedimentary and epiphytic diatom assemblages (Belguim). Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 13: 191–211. .
- 1999. Diatoms as indicators of coastal palaeoenvironments and relative sea-level change. In The Diatoms: Applications for the Environmental and Earth Sciences, StoermerEF, SmolJP (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 277–297. , .
- 1993. The bootstrap and the jackknife: describing the precision of ecological indices. In Design and Analysis of Ecological Experiment, ScheinerSM, GurevitchJ (eds). Chapman & Hall: New York; 290–310. .
- DPIWE. 1999. Pittwater/Orielton Lagoon Ramsar Site Draft Management Plan. Department of Primary Industries, Water and Energy, Parks and Wildlife Service, Hobart.
- 1999. A Classification of Tasmanian Estuaries and Assessment of their Conservation Significance Using Ecological and Physical Attributes, Population and Land Use. Technical Report Series 2, Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart. , , .
- 1990. Twentieth-century salinity and water-level fluctuations in Devils Lake, North Dakota: test of a diatom-based transfer function. Limnology and Oceanography 35: 1771–1781. .
- 1991. Reconstruction of past changes in salinity and climate using a diatom-based transfer function. Nature 352: 706–708. , , , .
- 1995. Diatom-based transfer function for inferring past hydrochemical characteristics of African lakes. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 117: 31–54. , , .
- 1997. Diatom-inferred salinity in palaeolakes: an indirect tracer of climate change. Quaternary Science Reviews 16: 547–563. , , , , .
- 2003. 210Pb dating of sediments from Havana Bay. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 256: 561–564. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. The development of a diatom database for inferring lake salinity, western Victoria, Australia: towards a quantitative approach for reconstructing past climates. Australian Journal of Botany 45: 389–423. .
- 2002. Seasonal and interannual variations in diatom assemblages in Murray River connected wetlands in north-west Victoria, Australia. Marine and Freshwater Research 53: 981–992. , , .
- 1997. Characteristics of Tasmanian estuaries and catchments: physical attributes, population and land use. Masters thesis. Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Tasmania. .
- 1997. Diatoms of meromictic lakes adjacent to the Gordon River, and of the Gordon River estuary in south-west Tasmania. In Bioliotheca Diatomologica, Lange-BerlotH, KociolekP (eds). Gebruder Borntraeger: Berlin. , , .
- 2000. From rainforest to wasteland in 100 years — the limnological legacy of the Queenstown mines, western Tasmania. Archiv fuer Hydrobiologie 149: 153–176. , , , .
- 1983. The Diatom Flora of the Swan River Estuary Western Australia. Bibliotheca Phycologica Vaduz, 64. .
- 1994. CALIBRATE — a Program for Species–Environment Calibration by [Weighted Averaging] Partial Least Squares Regression. Beta Test Version 0.54. University of Newcastle, UK. , .
- 1993. Orielton Lagoon and Catchment Environment Remediation Programme, Southeast Tasmania: Final Report. Kinhill Engineers Pty Ltd, Melbourne. .
- 1994. Coastal lagoons. In Coastal Lagoon Processes, KjerfveB (ed.). Oceanography Series no. 60, Elsevier Science Publishers: Amsterdam; 1–8. .
- 1994. Aquaculture in coastal lagoons. In Coastal Lagoon Processes, KjerfveB (ed.). Oceanography Series no. 60, Elsevier Science Publishers: Amsterdam; 401–442. .
- 1997. Cyst and radionucleotide evidence for the recent introduction of the toxic dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum into Tasmanian waters. Marine Ecology Progress Series 161: 165–172. , , , , .
- 2000. Recent introduction of Gymnodinium catenatum to Port Lincoln, South Australia. In Harmful Algal Blooms 2000: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Harmful Algal Blooms Hobart, Australia, 7–11 February, 2000, HallegreaffGM, BlackburnSI, BolschCJ, LewisR (eds). Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of Unesco: Paris; 477–480. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Diatom analysis of late Holocene sediment cores from Macquarie Harbour, Tasmania. Alcheringa 27: 135–153. , , .
- 2000. Eutrophication of marine waters: effects on benthic microbial communities. Marine Pollution Bulletin 41: 255–263. , .
- 1990. Principles of Hydraulic Management of Coastal Lagoons for Aquaculture and Fisheries. FAO Fisheries Technical Papers no. 314: Rome. , , .
- 1998. Structure and function of anthropogenically altered microbial communities in coastal waters. Current Opinion in Microbiology 1: 296–302. .
- 2004. Tailoring palaeolimnological diatom-based transfer functions. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 61: 2440–2454. , , , .
- 1995. The use of diatoms to assess past and present water quality. Australian Journal of Ecology 20: 57–64. , , , .
- 1990. The Diatoms: Biology and Morphology of the Genera. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , , .
- SOMER. 1995. Major Findings of the State of the Marine Environment Report for Australia: Our Sea, Our Future. Department of Environment, Sport and Territories, Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra.
- 2003. Reconstructing 20th century lead pollution and sediment focusing in a peat land pool (Kempen, Belguim), via 210Pb dating. Journal of Paleolimnology 29: 95–107. , , , , , .
- 2000. An Illustrated Guide to Common Stream Diatom Species from Temperate Australia. Cooperative Research Centre for Freshwater Ecology: Albury, Australia. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Diatoms as indicators of wetland salinity in the upper south east of South Australia. Holocene 11: 281–290. .
- 2004. Development of a diatom-based model for inferring total phosphorus in southeastern Australian water storages. Journal of Paleolimnology 31: 23–36. .
- 2003. Assessing long-term pH change in an Australian river catchment using monitoring and palaeolimnological data. Environmental Science and Technology 37: 3250–3255. , , , , .
- 1996. Distribution of benthic diatom assemblages in Tasmanian highland lakes and their possible use as indicators of environmental changes. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 53: 493–508. , , , .
- 2004. Quantifying background nutrient concentrations in coastal waters: a case study from an urban embayment of the Baltic Sea. Ambio 33: 324–327. , , .
- 2000. Diatom flora of marine coasts. In Iconographica Diatomologica: Annotated Diatom Micrographs, Lange-BertalotH (ed.). A.R.G. Ganter Verlag K.G.: Berlin. , , .