Requirements for marine protected areas to conserve the biodiversity of rocky reef fishes
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 71–87, January/February 2007
How to Cite
Gladstone, W. (2007), Requirements for marine protected areas to conserve the biodiversity of rocky reef fishes. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 17: 71–87. doi: 10.1002/aqc.759
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Revised: 7 SEP 2005
- Manuscript Received: 17 JUN 2005
- Natural Heritage Trust's Coast and Clean Seas Program
- 1994. Advances in marine conservation: the role of marine protected areas. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 267–270. .
- 2003. Dangerous targets? Unresolved issues and ideological clashes around marine protected areas. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 13: 353–367. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Applying ecological criteria to marine reserve design: a case study from the California Channel Islands. Ecological Applications 13: S170–S184. , , , , , .
- 2000. Large-scale patterns in habitat structure on subtidal rocky reefs in New South Wales. Marine and Freshwater Research 51: 255–263. , .
- ANZECC TFMPA. 1999. Understanding and applying the principles of comprehensiveness, adequacy and representativeness for the NRSMPA, Version 3.1. Marine Group Environment Australia: Canberra.
- 1999. Changes in community structure in temperate marine reserves. Marine Ecology Progress Series 189: 125–134. , , , , .
- 1997. Design principles for systems of ‘no-take’ marine reserves. Workshop on the Design and Monitoring of Marine Reserves, February 18–20. Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia: Vancouver. .
- 2003. Conservation of coral reef biodiversity: a comparison of reserve selection procedures for corals and fishes. Biological Conservation 111: 53–62. , , .
- 2002. Identifying hotspots of molluscan species richness on intertidal rocky reefs. Biodiversity and Conservation 11: 1959–1973. , .
- 2001. Design of reserve networks and the persistence of biodiversity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 242–248. , .
- 2001. Change in Marine Communities: An Approach to Statistical Analysis and Interpretation, 2nd edn. Plymouth Marine Laboratory: Plymouth. , .
- 2001. Estimates: Statistical Estimation of Species Richness and Shared Species from Samples. Version 6. User's guide and application published at: http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu/estimates. .
- 1994. Estimating terrestrial biodiversity through extrapolation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 345: 101–118. , .
- 2002. Spatial and habitat-related patterns of temperate reef assemblages: implications for the design of Marine Protected Areas. Marine and Freshwater Research 53: 1197–1210. , , .
- 2000. Planning for Representative Marine Protected Areas: A Framework for Canada's Oceans. World Wildlife Fund: Toronto. , .
- 2002. The representative areas program for protecting biodiversity in the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area. In Proceedings 9th International Coral Reef Symposium, Kasim MoosaMK, SoemodihardjoS, NontjiA, SoegiortoA, RomimohtartoK (eds). Indonesian Institute of Sciences and State Ministry for Environment: Jakarta, Indonesia, Bali,687–696. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Ecological assessment of a complex natural system: a case study from the Great Barrier Reef. Ecological Applications 8: 480–496. , , , .
- 1991. Tropical and temperate reef fishes: comparison of community structure. In The Ecology of Fishes on Coral Reefs, SalePF (ed.). Academic Press: San Diego, CA. , .
- 1999. Effects of the declaration of marine reserves on Tasmanian reef fishes, invertebrates and plants. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 242: 107–144. , .
- 2002. Mapping spatial pattern in biodiversity for regional conservation planning: where to from here? Systematic Biology 51: 331–363. .
- 2000. A new predictor of the irreplaceability of areas for achieving a conservation goal, its application to real-world planning, and a research agenda for further refinement. Biological Conservation 93: 303–325. , , .
- 2003. Designing effective marine protected areas in Seaflower Biosphere Reserve, Colombia, based on biological and sociological information. Conservation Biology 17: 1769–1784. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Rarity. Chapman & Hall: London. .
- 2002. The potential value of indicator groups in the selection of marine reserves. Biological Conservation 104: 211–220. .
- 2005. A test of the higher-taxon approach in the identification of candidate sites for marine reserves. Biodiversity and Conservation 14: 3151–3168. , .
- 2003. Development and management of a regional network of marine protected areas for the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. Ocean and Coastal Management 46: 741–761. , , .
- 2000. The measurement of marine species diversity, with an application to the benthic fauna of the Norwegian continental shelf. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 250: 23–49. .
- 2003. Comparing designs of marine reserves for fisheries and for biodiversity. Ecological Applications 13: S56–S70. , .
- 1997. Criteria, objectives and methodology for evaluating marine protected areas in South Africa. South African Journal of Marine Science 18: 369–383. , .
- 1990. Biogenic habitat structure and characteristics of temperate reef fish assemblages. Australian Journal of Ecology 15: 489–503. , , .
- 1996. Marine reserves for fisheries management. Marine Resource Economics 11: 157–171. , .
- 1990. Herbivory and patch dynamics on rocky reefs in temperate Australia: the roles of fish and sea urchins. Australian Journal of Ecology 15: 505–520. , .
- 1992. Guidelines for Establishing Marine Protected Areas. IUCN: Gland. , .
- 1995. A Global Representative System of Marine Protected Areas, Vols I–IV. Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority, The World Bank, The World Conservation Union (IUCN): Washington, DC. , , .
- 1991. Humans as predators on rocky reefs in New South Wales, Australia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 72: 1–14. , , .
- 1989. Improving multispecies rocky reef fish censuses by counting different groups of species using different procedures. Environmental Biology of Fishes 26: 29–37. .
- 1989. Catch and effort of competition spearfishermen in southeastern Australia. Fisheries Research 8: 45–61. , , , .
- 2002. The effects of dispersal patterns on marine reserves: does the tail wag the dog? Theoretical Population Biology 61: 297–309. , , .
- 2003. Plugging a hole in the ocean: the emerging science of marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13: S3–S7. , , , .
- 2000. Systematic conservation planning. Nature 405: 243–253. , .
- 2002. Representing biodiversity: data and procedures for identifying priority areas for conservation. Journal of Biosciences 27: 309–326. , , .
- 1994. The selection and design of marine protected areas: Australia as a case study. Biodiversity and Conservation 3: 586–605. .
- 2001. Consistency of faunal and floral assemblages within temperate subtidal rocky reef habitats. Marine and Freshwater Research 52: 853–863. .
- PDT (Plan Development Team). 1990. The potential of marine fishery reserves for reef fish management in the US southern Atlantic. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFC-261, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Marine Fisheries Service/Southeast Fisheries Center: Miami, FL, USA.
- 1998. Algorithms, politics and timber: an example of the role of science in a public, political negotiation process over new conservation areas in production forests. In Ecology for Everyone: Communicating Ecology to Scientists, the Public and the Politicians, WillsR, HobbsR (eds). Surrey Beatty & Sons: Sydney. .
- 1999. Applications of irreplaceability analysis to planning and management problems. Parks 9: 42–51. .
- 1996. Some current ideas and applications in the selection of terrestrial protected areas: are there any lessons for the marine environment? In Developing Australia's Representative System of Marine Protected Areas, ThackwayR (ed.). Department of the Environment, Sport and Territories: Canberra. , .
- 1994. Shades of irreplaceability: towards a measure of the contribution of sites to a reservation goal. Biodiversity and Conservation 3: 242–262. , , .
- 1998. Biodiversity hotspots. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 275–280. .
- 2000. Fully Protected Marine Reserves: a Guide. WWF Endangered Seas Campaign USA and University of York: UK. , .
- 2003. Ecological criteria for evaluating candidate sites for marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13: S199–S214. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A general model for designing networks of marine reserves. Science 289: 1991–1993. , , , , , .
- 1996. How sieve mesh size affects sample estimates of estuarine benthic macrofauna. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 201: 159–171. , .
- 1998. Soft-sediment benthic community structure in a coral reef lagoon — the prominence of spatial heterogeneity and ‘spot endemism’. Marine Ecology Progress Series 174: 159–174. , , , , , .
- 2002. Marine reserves demonstrate top-down control of community structure on temperate reefs. Oecologia 132: 131–142. , .
- 2003. Continuing trophic cascade effects after 25 years of no-take marine reserve protection. Marine Ecology Progress Series 246: 1–16. , .
- 2004. Marine Reserves: a Guide to Science, Design and Use. Island Press: Washington, DC. , .
- 2002. Rigor and representativeness in marine protected area design. Coastal Management 30: 237–248. .
- 2004. Testing the utility of abiotic surrogates for marine habitat mapping at scales relevant to management. Biological Conservation 119: 351–362. , .
- 2000. Biogeography and the selection of priority areas for conservation of South African coastal fishes. Biological Conservation 92: 59–72. , , .
- 1991. Patterns in shallow subtidal marine assemblages along the coast of New South Wales. Australian Journal of Ecology 6: 231–249. , , .
- 2003. A user-friendly quantitative approach to classifying nearshore marine habitats along a heterogeneous coast. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 57: 163–177. , , , .
- 1999. Selecting marine reserves using habitats and species assemblages as surrogates for biological diversity. Ecological Applications 9: 691–698. , , , .
- 2001. Delineating fish-habitat associations for spatially based management: an example from the south-eastern Australian continental shelf. Marine and Freshwater Research 52: 513–536. , .
- 1999. WORLDMAP iv Windows: software and help document 4.1. Privately distributed, London. .
- 1987. Major components and distribution of marine fauna. In Fauna of Australia. Vol. 1A. General Articles, DyneGW (ed.). Australian Government Publishing Service: Canberra. , .
- 1995. Assessing conservation value using centres of population density. Conservation Biology 9: 1518–1527. , .
- World Parks Congress. 2003. World Parks Congress 2003 Recommendation 22: Building a Global System of Marine and Coastal Protected Area Networks. IUCN: Gland.
- 1995. Development of a marine protected area system planning regional framework in Canada. In Towards a Marine Regionalisation for Australia, MuldoonJ (ed.). Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority: Townsville, Queensland, Australia. .