The characterization and classification of the Black River Upper Morass, Jamaica, using the three-parameter test of vegetation, soils and hydrology
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2006
Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 5–23, January/February 2007
How to Cite
Azan, S. and Webber, D. (2007), The characterization and classification of the Black River Upper Morass, Jamaica, using the three-parameter test of vegetation, soils and hydrology. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 17: 5–23. doi: 10.1002/aqc.771
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JAN 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 4 NOV 2005
- Manuscript Received: 3 DEC 2004
- 1984. Morphology of wetland soils. In Wetland Soils: Characterization, Classification and Utilization. International Rice Research Institute. Proceedings of a workshop held March 26–April 5 under the joint sponsorship of IRRI, Soil Management Support Services, Agency for International Development and US Department of Agriculture. Bureau of Soils, Philippine Ministry of Agriculture. , .
- 1984. Summary optimum utilization study of the Negril and Black River Lower Morasses, Jamaica. Prepared for the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica. .
- 1979. Classification of Wetlands and Deepwater Habitats of the United States. FWS/OBS-79/31. US Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Biological Services: Washington, DC. , , , .
- 1998. Nutrient status of the Black River System, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica. Jamaican Journal of Science and Technology 9: 45–62. , , .
- 1991. Wetlands. IWRB, Slimbridge, UK, and Facts on File, Oxford, UK, and New York, USA. , .
- 1978. Chemical and microbiological properties of anaerobic soils and sediments. In Plant Life in Anaerobic Environments, HookDD, CrawfordRMM (ed.). Ann Arbor Science Publications: Ann Arbor, MI; 375–423. , .
- 1986. The Black River Lower Morass: a threatened wetland in Jamaica. Oryx 20: 155–160. .
- Government of Jamaica (GOJ), Ministry of Agriculture. 1985. The Agricultural Development Project on the Black River Lower Morass, Vols 1 and 2. Japan International Co-operation Agency, Kingston, Jamaica.
- 1964. Black River Reclamation Project. Government of Jamaica, Ministry of Agriculture and Lands: Kingston, Jamaica. .
- Harza Overseas Engineering Company (HOEC). 1976. Black River Upper Morass feasibility report. Submitted to the Government of Jamaica, Ministry of Agriculture. Appendix H — Environmental Assessment.
- 1998. Surveys of West Indian whistling ducks in Black River, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica. Paper presented at Society for Caribbean Ornithology Annual Meeting, Guadeloupe. .
- 2002. Surveys of migratory ducks in Jamaican wetlands — Phase one: January to April 2001. Report prepared for the Natural Resources Conservation Authority/National Environment and Planning Agency and Ducks Unlimited. , .
- 2003. Surveys of migratory ducks in Jamaican wetlands — Phase two: January to April 2003. Report prepared for the Natural Resources Conservation Authority/National Environment and Planning Agency and Ducks Unlimited. , .
- 1983. Wetland reclamation in Jamaica. Caribbean Geography 1: 75–87. .
- 1998. Environmental Policy Framework, Parish of St. Elizabeth, Jamaica. Technical Support Services Inc. Prepared for the Natural Resources Conservation Authority Protected Areas Management Branch and the United States Agency for International Development. , .
- 1999. Black River Managed Resource Protected Area, St. Elizabeth, Jamaica — Management plan. Technical Support Services Inc. Prepared for the Natural Resources Conservation Authority Protected Areas Management Branch and the United States Agency for International Development. , .
- 1993. Wetlands. John Wiley: New York. , .
- 1995. WATERSHEDSS: Water, Soil and Hydro-Environmental Decision Support System. http://www.water.ncsu.edu/watershedss [Last date accessed October 25, 2005] , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1964. Vegetation of the Black River Morass. In Black River Reclamation Project, Grontmij (ed.). Appendix H, 9–10, Kingston, Jamaica. .
- Ramsar Sites Information Service. 2005. http://www.wetlands.org/RSDB/default.htm [Last date accessed October 25, 2005]
- The World Conservation Union. 2004. 2004 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. http://www.redlist.org [Last date accessed October 25, 2005]
- 1993. Field recognition and delineation of wetlands. In Wetlands — Guide to Science, Law and Technology, DennisonMS, BerryJF (eds). Noyes Publications: New Jersey; 153–198. .
- 1999. Wetland Indicators — A Guide to Wetland Identification, Delineation, Classification and Mapping. Lewis Publishers. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. .
- 1982. Water resources survey of the Upper Black River Basin, St. Elizabeth — Upper Morass and Essex Valley. Inventory of Groundwater Resources. Water Resources Division, Kingston, Jamaica; 7–8 and 16–17. .
- USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service). 2001. The PLANTS Database. Version 3.1 (http://plants.usda.gov). National Plant Data Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70874-4490, USA. [Last date accessed October 25, 2005]
- United States Environmental Protection Agency — Office of Water, Office of Wetlands, Oceans and Watersheds. 2001. Threats to Wetlands. EPA-843-F-01-002d. http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/facts/threats.pdf [Last date accessed October 25, 2005]
- UNEP-WCMC. 2005. UNEP-WCMC Species Database: CITES-Listed Species. http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/species.html [Last date accessed October 25, 2005]
- 1995. Wetland and aquatic macrophytes as indicators of anthropogenic hydrologic disturbance. Natural Areas Journal 15: 240–248. .