How wild is the ocean? Assessing the intensity of anthropogenic marine activities in British Columbia, Canada
Article first published online: 2 APR 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 55–85, January/February 2008
How to Cite
Ban, N. and Alder, J. (2008), How wild is the ocean? Assessing the intensity of anthropogenic marine activities in British Columbia, Canada. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 18: 55–85. doi: 10.1002/aqc.816
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 2 APR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAR 2006
- The Canon National Parks Science Scholars Program
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- 2003. BC Coast Information Team marine ecosystem spatial analysis. Version 1.2. In An Ecosystem Analysis for Haida Gwaii, Central Coast, North Coast British Columbia. DRAFT, 22 September 2003, Rumsey C, Ardron J, Ciruna K, Curtis T, Doyle F, Ferdana Z, Hamilton T, Heinemyer K, Iachetti P, Jeo R, Kaiser G, Narver D, Noss RF, Sizemore D, Tautz A, Tingey R, Vance-Borland K (eds). 1–44. .
- 2005. Protecting British Columbia's corals and sponges from bottom trawling: a report by Living Oceans Society. Living Oceans Society, Soitula, BC; 1–2. .
- Auditor General of Canada. 2000. Fisheries and oceans: the effects of salmon farming in British Columbia on the management of wild salmon stocks. Report of the Auditor General of Canada.
- 2000a. Biological impacts of boating at Kawau Island, north-eastern New Zealand. Journal of Environmental Management 60: 239–251. , .
- 2000b. Subtidal benthic marine litter at Kawau Island, north-eastern New Zealand. Journal of Environmental Management 60: 227–237. , .
- 2005. Interaction strength combinations and the overfishing of a marine food web. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102: 5443–5447. , , .
- 2004. Organic and trace metal contaminants in sediments and English sole tissues from Vancouver Harbour, Canada. Marine Environmental Research 57: 19–36. , , , , , .
- 1997. The management of fisheries and marine ecosystems. Science 277: 509–515. , , .
- 2002. Factors related to the sustainability of shellfish aquaculture operations on the Firth of Thames: a preliminary analysis. National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Ltd, Hamilton, New Zealand; 1–11. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Consequences of changing biodiversity. Nature 405: 234–242. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The impact of United States recreational fisheries on marine fish populations. Science 305: 1958–1960. , , , .
- 2000. A quantitative analysis of fishing impacts on shelf-sea benthos. Journal of Animal Ecology 69: 785–798. , , , .
- 1992. Effects of pulp and paper mill effluents on estuarine and marine ecosystems in Canada: a review. Journal of Aquatic Ecosystem Stress and Recovery (Formerly Journal of Aquatic Ecosystem Health) 1: 201–226. , .
- 2005. The environmental impact of cruise ships. In World Water and Environmental Resources Congress, Walton R (ed.). Anchorage, AK. , , , .
- 2006. Contrasting recreational and commercial fishing: searching for common issues to promote unified conservation of fisheries resources and aquatic environments. Biological Conservation 128: 93–108. , .
- 1999. The ecological, economic, and social importance of the oceans. Ecological Economics 31: 199–213. .
- 2001. A new approach for detecting and mapping sewage impacts. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42: 149–156. , , , , .
- 2001. Effect of anthropogenic low-frequency noise on the foraging ecology of Balaenoptera whales. Animal Conservation 4: 13–27. , , , , .
- 2004. Fishing for trouble. Nature 431: 502–504. .
- 1995. Energetics, patterns of interaction strengths, and stability in real ecosystems. Science 269: 1257–1260. , .
- 2006. Deep-sea fishes qualify as endangered. Nature 439: 29. , , .
- 1998. The statistical inevitability of stability–diversity relationships in community ecology. American Naturalist 151: 264–276. , , , , , .
- ESRI. 2004. ArcGIS Version 9.0. ESRI Inc.
- EVS Environment Consultants. 2000. An evaluation of knowledge and gaps related to impacts of freshwater and marine aquaculture on the aquatic environment: a review of selected literature. EVS Environment Consultants, North Vancouver.
- FAO. 2001. Fishery Country Profile: Canada. http://www.fao.org/fi/fcp/en/CAN/profile.htm
- FAO. 2004. The state of the world fisheries and aquaculture 2004. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 2002. Towards an inshore rockfish conservation plan: a structure for continued consultation. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Vancouver; 1–36.
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 2005. Permitted fishing within Rockfish Conservation Areas. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Restricted_Areas/Rockfish_Maps_2004/permitted_fishing_e.htm
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada. 2006. Georgia Strait Creel Survey — frequently asked questions. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sci/sa/Recreational/GSCS/GSCSFAQ_e.htm
- 2005. Global consequences of land use. Science 309: 570–574. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Synergism and antagonism among multiple stressors. Limnology and Oceanography 44: 864–877. , , , .
- 2004. Whale-call response to masking boat noise. Nature 428: 910. , , .
- 2002. The deep-water coral Lophelia pertusa in Norwegian waters: distribution and fishery impacts. Hydrobiologia 471: 1–12. , , .
- 2000. Ecosystem functioning and intrinsic value of biodiversity. OIKOS 90: 408–412. .
- 2004. Interactions between bivalve shellfish farms and fishery resources. Aquaculture 240: 267–296. .
- Government of British Columbia. 2006. Alive and inseparable — British Columbia's coastal environment: 2006. Government of British Columbia, Victoria, British Columbia; 1–32.
- Government of Canada. 2002a. Canada's Oceans Strategy. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Oceans Directorate, Ottawa, Ontario; 1–32.
- Government of Canada. 2002b. Canada's Oceans Strategy and aboriginal peoples. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Oceans Directorate, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Government of Canada, Province of British Columbia. 1998. Marine protected areas: a strategy for Canada's Pacific coast — Discussion paper. Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Province of British Columbia: 1–2.
- 1997. Biodiversity and ecosystem function: the debate deepens. Science 277: 1260–1261. .
- 2001. Effects of acid mine drainage from an abandoned copper mine, Britannia Mines, Howe Sound, British Columbia, Canada, on transplanted blue mussels (Mytilus edulis). Marine Environmental Research 51: 265–288. , .
- 2003. Tank vessel operations, seabirds, and chronic oil pollution in California. Marine Ornithology 31: 29–34. , , .
- 1994. A preliminary inventory of human disturbance of world ecosystems. Ambio 23: 246–250. , , , , .
- 2000. Mercury biogeochemistry in the Idrija River, Slovenia, from above the Mine into the Gulf of Trieste. Environmental Research 83: 129–139. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Numerical study on breaking phenomena of ships' waves in narrow and shallow waterways. Journal of Marine Science and Technology 10: 11–21. , , .
- 1999. Multiple stressors on coral reefs: a long-term perspective. Limnology and Oceanography 444: 932–940. , .
- 1997. Hidden treatments in ecological experiments: re-evaluating the ecosystem function of biodiversity. Oecologia 110: 449–460. .
- 2000. Collapse and recovery of marine fishes. Nature 406: 882–885. .
- 2001. Historical overfishing and the recent collapse of coastal ecosystems. Science 293: 629–637. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Marine protected areas in Canada — implications for both conservation and fisheries management. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58: 138–157. , .
- 2001. Phase 0 review of the environmental impacts of intertidal shellfish aquaculture in Baynes Sound. Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat; Ottawa, Ontario 1–104. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Changes in benthic communities along a presumed pollution gradient in Vancouver Harbour. Marine Environmental Research 57: 121–135. , , , .
- 2003. Establishing marine protected areas in British Columbia: an NGO perspective. In Aquatic Protected Areas: What Works Best and How Do We Know?, BeumerJP, GrantA, SmithDC (eds). Australian Society for Fish Biology: Cairns, Australia; 377–387. , .
- 2005. Resource degradation: a subtle effect of bottom fishing. Marine Biology 146: 401–408. , , , , .
- 2005. Losing pieces of the puzzle: threats to marine, estuarine, and diadromous species. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 3: 275–282. .
- 2002. Environmental threats and environmental future of estuaries. Environmental Conservation 29: 78–107. .
- 1997. Effect of sediment from two sulphite-bleaching paper mills on winter flounder (Pleuronectes americanus) following chronic exposure. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 69: 139–145. .
- 2005. Transmission dynamics of parasitic sea lice from farm to wild salmon. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 272: 689–696. , , .
- 2003. Canada's Large Intact Forest Landscapes. Global Forest Watch Canada: Edmonton, Alberta. , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of acid mine drainage on the estuarine food web, Britannia Beach, Howe Sound, British Columbia, Canada. Hydrobiologia 525: 185–202. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Partitioning selection and complementarity in biodiversity experiments. Nature 412: 72–76. , .
- 2001. Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: current knowledge and future challenges. Science 294: 804–808. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Two centuries of multiple human impacts and successive changes in a North Atlantic food web. Ecological Applications 14: 1428–1447. , .
- 2004. The Irish Sea Pilot: report on collation and mapping of data. Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough; 1–88. , , , , .
- 2000. A resource-based methodology to assess dock and pier impacts on Pleasant Bay, Massachusetts. Journal of Shellfish Research 19: 455–464. , , , , .
- 2000. The diversity–stability debate. Nature 405: 228–233. .
- 1997. Biodiversity regulates ecosystem predictability. Nature 390: 162–165. , , .
- 1995. Human impact on the oceans: the 1990s and beyond. Marine Pollution Bulletin 31: 147–151. .
- 2004. Boat anchoring on Posidonia oceanica beds in a marine protected area (Italy, western Mediterranean): effect of anchor types in different anchoring stages. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 299: 51–62. , , , .
- 2000. Impacts of salmon aquaculture on the coastal environment: a review. Conservation Council of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick. .
- 2002. Potential impact of offshore human activities on grey whales (Eschrichtius robustus). Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 4: 19–25. , .
- 2003. Rapid worldwide depletion of predatory fish communities. Nature 423: 280–283. , .
- 2005. Extinction, survival or recovery of large predatory fishes. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 360: 13–20. , .
- 2002. Biodiversity: biodiversity equals instability? Nature 416: 23–24. .
- 1997. Biodiversity enhances ecosystem reliability. Nature 390: 507–509. , .
- 2000. Effect of aquaculture on world fish supplies. Nature 405: 1017–1024. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Aquaculture — a gateway for exotic species. Science 294: 1655–1656. , , .
- 2003. Salmon aquaculture in the Pacific Northwest: a global industry with local impacts. Environment 45: 18–39. , , .
- 1997. Do roads cause deforestation? Using satellite images in econometric analysis of land use. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 79: 80–88. , .
- 2001. Overwater structures: marine issues. Washington State Transportation Center, Seattle, WA; 1–181. , .
- 2001. Spatial resilience of coral reefs. Ecosystems 4: 406–417. , .
- Office of the Auditor General of Canada. 2005. Report of the commissioner of the environment and sustainable development to the House of Commons: Chapter 1 Fisheries and Oceans Canada — Canada's oceans management strategy. Office of the Auditor General of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario.
- 1995. Anecdotes and the shifting baseline syndrome of fisheries. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 430. .
- 1998. Fishing down marine food webs. Science 279: 860–863. , , , , .
- 2002. Towards sustainability in world fisheries. Nature 418: 689–695. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Global trends in world fisheries: impacts on marine ecosystems and food security. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B 360: 5–12. , , .
- 2004. Species loss and the structure and functioning of multitrophic aquatic systems. OIKOS 104: 467–478. DOI:10.1111/j.0030-1299.2004.13257.x. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Zones of noise influence. In Marine Mammals and Noise, RichardsonWJ, GreeneCR, MalmeCI, ThomsonDH (eds). Academic Press: San Diego, CA. , .
- 2002. Deep impact: the rising toll of fishing in the deep sea. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17: 242–245. .
- 1999. Extinction risk in the sea. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 14: 241–246. , .
- 1998. Rapid changes in encrusting marine assemblages exposed to anthropogenic point-source pollution: a ‘beyond BACI’ approach. Marine Ecology Progress Series 163: 312–324. , , , .
- 2002. The human footprint and the last of the wild. BioScience 52: 891–904. , , , , , .
- 2002. Evaluation of the impacts of dock structures on South Carolina estuarine environments. South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Charleston, SC; 1–89. , .
- 2005. Tracing the influence of sewage nitrogen in a coastal ecosystem using stable nitrogen isotopes. Ambio 34: 145–150. .
- 2005. Cascading effects of overfishing marine systems. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20: 579–581. , , .
- 1999. Ecosystem effects of biodiversity: a classification of hypotheses and exploration of empirical results. Ecological Applications 9: 893–912. , .
- 2004. Coastal coal pollution increases Cd concentrations in the predatory gastropod Hexaplex trunculus and is detrimental to its health. Marine Pollution Bulletin 49: 111–118. , , , .
- 2004. Extinction and ecosystem function in the marine benthos. Science 306: 1177–1180. , , , , , .
- 2005. The impacts of coastal protection structures in California's Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, NOAA, Monterey, CA; 1–2. .
- 2003. Sedimentation and erosion in connection with ship traffic, Göteborg Harbour, Sweden. Environmental Geology 43: 466–475. , .
- 2002. Disturbance to marine benthic habitats by trawling and dredging: implications for marine biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecological Systems 33: 449–473. , .
- 1998. Disturbance of the marine benthic habitat by commercial fishing: impacts at the scale of the fishery. Ecological Applications 8: 866–879. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The ecological consequences of changes in biodiversity: a search for general principles. Ecology 80: 1455–1474. .
- 2000. Causes, consequences and ethics of biodiversity. Nature 405: 208–211. .
- 1998. Diversity–stability relationships: statistical inevitability or ecological consequence? American Naturalist 151: 277–282. , , .
- 1997. Changes in epifaunal assemblages in response to marina operations and boating activities. Marine Environmental Research 43: 181–199. , , , , , , .
- United States Environmental Protection Agency. 2002. Cruise ship plume tracking survey report. United States Environmental Protection Agency; 1–50.
- United States General Accounting Office. 2000. Marine pollution: progress made to reduce marine pollution by cruise ships, but important issues remain. United States General Accounting office, Washington, DC; 1–75.
- 2002. Status, trends and the future of the marine pelagic ecosystem. Environmental Conservation 29: 207–237. , , .
- 1996. The threatened status of marine fishes. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11: 360–361. , .
- 2004. Impacts of multiple stressors on biodiversity and ecosystem functioning: the role of species co-tolerance. OIKOS 104: 451–457. DOI:10.1111/j.0030-1299.2004.13255.x. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Disturbance of the seabed by mobile fishing gear: a comparison to forest clearcutting. Conservation Biology 12: 1180–1197. , .
- 2004. Mapping global fisheries: sharpening our focus. Fish and Fisheries 5: 168–177. , , , .
- 1996. Wood preservative leachates from docks in an estuarine environment. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 31: 24–37. , , , , .
- 1998. An analysis of marine protected areas in British Columbia, Canada, using a marine ecological classification. Natural Areas Journal 18: 4–13. , .
- 2005. Sensitivity and vulnerability in marine environments: an approach to identifying vulnerable marine areas. Conservation Biology 19: 86–97. , .
- 1998. The British Columbia Marine Ecosystem Classification: rationale, development, and verification. Coastal Management 26: 105–124. , , , .