Effects of aquatic weed removal on freshwater pearl mussels and juvenile salmonids in the River Spey, Scotland
Article first published online: 19 JUL 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 44–54, January/February 2008
How to Cite
Laughton, R., Cosgrove, P.J., Hastie, L.C. and Sime, I. (2008), Effects of aquatic weed removal on freshwater pearl mussels and juvenile salmonids in the River Spey, Scotland. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 18: 44–54. doi: 10.1002/aqc.821
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2007
- Article first published online: 19 JUL 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 NOV 2006
- Manuscript Received: 29 MAY 2006
- 2000. The impacts of dredging and weed cutting on a population of freshwater mussels (Bivalvia: Unionidae). Biological Conservation 95: 247–257. .
- 1995. River Spey Juvenile Survey 1994. Spey Research Report 5/95, Spey Salmon Fishery District Board, Knockando. , .
- 2000. The status of the freshwater pearl mussel Margaritifera margaritifera Linn. in Scotland. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 10: 197–208. , , , , .
- 1977. Growth, survival and production of juvenile salmon and trout in a Scottish stream, 1966–75. Journal of Fish Biology 11: 647–672. , .
- 1998. Effects of artificial instream cover on the density of 0+ brown trout. Fisheries Management and Ecology 5: 45–53. , .
- 1994. Quantitative Ecology and the Brown Trout. Oxford University Press: Oxford. .
- 1996. The effects of weed cutting on upon the biota of a large regulated river. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 6: 21–29. , , .
- GCU and UE (Glasgow Caledonian University and University of Edinburgh). 2004. An assessment of the impact of water-based recreation and tourism in the Spey catchment in 2003. A Report for the Spey Catchment Management Plan Partners.
- 2001. Does electro-fishing harm freshwater pearl mussels? Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 11: 149–152. , .
- 2002. Intensive searching for mussels in a fast-flowing river: an estimation of sampling bias. Journal of Conchology 37: 309–316. , .
- 2004. Applications of extensive survey techniques to describe freshwater pearl mussel distribution and macrohabitat in the River Spey, Scotland. River Research and Applications 20: 1001–1013. , , , , , .
- 1996. Macrophytes as structuring component for fish habitat in a salmonid river. A study of fish microrepartition in a macrophyte site in the River Scorff (Southern Brittany). Cybium 20: 111–127. , .
- 1990. Habitat utilization and preferences in juvenile Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in streams. Regulated Rivers: Research and Management 5: 341–354. .
- 1988. A resource management policy for the River Spey. In Land Use in the River Spey Catchment, JenkinsD (ed.). Aberdeen Centre for Land Use Symposium No. 1, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen; 54–63. , .
- 1996. The effect of weed control practices on macroinvertebrate communities in Irish canals. Hydrobiologia 340: 205–211. , .
- 2002. New Atlas of the British and Irish Flora. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , , .
- 1998. Aquatic plants and fish assemblage: a macrophyte removal experiment in stream riffle habitats in a lowland salmonid river (Brittany, France). In Environmental Factors and Fish Biology: Conference IFR43 Federative Institute for Research for Fish Biology and Ecology, PrunetP, BaglinièreJL, BretonB, KahO, PakdelF, SaglioP (eds), FIRFBE, Paris; 693–709. , , , , .
- 1964. Movements of young Atlantic salmon in a small stream. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 21: 27–36. , .
- 2002. Monitoring of aquatic macrophytes for detection of long-term change in river systems. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 73: 131–153. , , , .
- SFCC (Scottish Fisheries Co-ordination Centre). 1998. A guide to the SFCC electro-fishing protocol (version 1.1). Scottish Fisheries Co-ordination Centre, Pitlochry.
- 1982. Impacts of weed cutting on fisheries: an experimental study in a small lowland river. Fisheries Management 13: 125–137. .
- 1982. Fluvial processes and local lithology controlling abundance, structure and composition of mussel beds. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA 79: 4103–4107. , .
- 1922. A scale of grade and class terms for clastic sediments. Journal of Geology 30: 377–392. .
- 2001. What represents an ‘ideal’ population profile for Margaritifera margaritifera? In Anon (ed.). The Freshwater Pearl Mussels in Europe: Population Status and Conservation Strategies, Congress Report, University of Freiburg, Freiburg; 35–44. , , .
- 1996. The Lives of Salmon. Swan Hill Press: Shrewsbury, UK. , .
- 1958. The removal method of population estimation. Journal of Wildlife Management 22: 82–90. .