Characterizing the marine Natura 2000 network for the Atlantic region
Version of Record online: 2 APR 2007
Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 86–97, January/February 2008
How to Cite
Johnson, M.P., Crowe, T.P., McAllen, R. and Allcock, A.L. (2008), Characterizing the marine Natura 2000 network for the Atlantic region. Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst., 18: 86–97. doi: 10.1002/aqc.827
- Issue online: 27 DEC 2007
- Version of Record online: 2 APR 2007
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 DEC 2006
- Manuscript Revised: 29 SEP 2006
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2005
- Higher Education Authority (Ireland)
- 1996. Larval transport and population dynamics of intertidal barnacles: a coupled benthic/oceanic model. Ecological Monographs 66: 259–275. , .
- 2004. Review of marine nature conservation. Working Group report to Government. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Publications, London. .
- 1998. Maerl, Vol. V. An overview of dynamic and sensitivity characteristics for conservation management of marine SACs. UK Marine SACs Project, Scottish Association for Marine Science, Oban. , , .
- 2000. A quantitative analysis of fishing impacts on shelf-sea benthos. Journal of Animal Ecology 69: 785–798. , , , .
- 2003. Effects of the planktonic period on marine population fluctuations. Ecology 84: 372–383. .
- European Council. 1992. Directive 92/43/EEC: On the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora. Official Journal of the European Union L. 206: (22.07.1992).
- European Council. 2004. Adopting, pursuant to Council Directive 92/43/EEC, the list of sites of Community importance for the Atlantic biogeographical region. Official Journal of the European Union L. 387/1: (29.12.2004).
- 2004. Long-term changes in area distribution of eelgrass (Zostera marina) in Danish coastal waters. Aquatic Botany 78: 167–181. , , , .
- 2003. Population models for marine reserve design: a retrospective and prospective synthesis. Ecological Applications 13: S47–S64. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The geography of marine larval dispersal: coupling genetics with fine-scale physical oceanography. Ecology 84: 2989–2998. , .
- 2003. Comparing designs of marine reserves for fisheries and for biodiversity. Ecological Applications 13: S65–S70. , .
- 2004. Limits to gene flow in marine animals with planktonic larvae: models of Littorina species around Point Conception, California. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 82: 169–187. .
- 1988. The paradox of Rockall — why is a brooding gastropod (Littorina saxatilis) more widespread than one having a planktonic larval dispersal stage (Littorina littorea)? Marine Biology 99: 507–513. .
- 2005. Is there confusion over what is meant by ‘open population’? Hydrobiologia 533: 333–338. .
- 2003. Propagule dispersal in marine and terrestrial environments: a community perspective. Ecology 84: 2007–2020. , .
- 1992. The problem of pattern and scale in ecology. Ecology 73: 1943–1967. .
- 2004. The Irish Sea Pilot — Report on the identification of nationally important marine features in the Irish Sea. JNCC report no. 348. Available at: www.jncc.gov.uk/irishseapilot , , .
- 2002. The effects of dispersal patterns on marine reserves: does the tail wag the dog? Theoretical Population Biology 61: 297–309. , , .
- OSPAR Commission. 2003. Criteria for the identification of species and habitats in need of protection and their method of application (the Texel–Faial criteria) (Reference no.: 2003-13). OSPAR 03/17/1-E, Annex 5. Available at: http://www.ospar.org/eng/html/welcome.html
- OSPAR Commission. 2006. Guidance on developing an ecologically coherent network of OSPAR marine protected areas (Reference no. 2006-3). Available at: http://www.ospar.org/eng/html/welcome.html
- 2000. The role of dispersal and disturbance in determining spatial heterogeneity in sedentary organisms. Ecology 81: 2011–2026. , , , .
- 2002. A general model for designing networks of marine reserves. Science 298: 1991–1993. , , , , , .
- 2003. Propagule dispersal distance and the size and spacing of marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13: S159–S169. , , .
- 2006. Marine biodiversity and ecosystem function: empirical approaches and future research needs—introduction. Marine Ecology Progress Series 311: 175–178. , , , , .