Fax: (312) 942-5744
Motor pudendal nerve characterization in the female rat
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2001
Copyright © 2002 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
The Anatomical Record
Volume 266, Issue 1, pages 21–29, 1 January 2002
How to Cite
Kane, D. D., Shott, S., Hughes, W. F. and Kerns, J. M. (2002), Motor pudendal nerve characterization in the female rat. Anat. Rec., 266: 21–29. doi: 10.1002/ar.10029
- Issue online: 7 DEC 2001
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Received: 25 APR 2001
- 1946. Estimation of nuclear population from microtome sections. Anat Rec 94: 239–247. .
- 2000. Cellular and molecular features of axon collaterals and dendrites. Trends Neurosci 23: 557–565. , .
- 1990. Pelvic floor damage and childbirth: a neurophysiological study. Br J Obstet Gynecol 97: 770–779. , , , .
- 1982. Fluorescent compounds as retrograde tracers compared with horseradish peroxidase (HRP). I. A parametric study in the central visual system of the albino rat. J Neurosci Meth 6: 179–197. , .
- 1980. Two new fluorescent retrograde neuronal tracers which are transported over long distances. Neurosci Lett 18: 25–30. , , , , .
- 1997. Continence mechanism of the isolated female urethra: an anatomical study of the intrapelvic somatic nerves. J Urol 158: 822–826. , , , , .
- 1980. Hormone accumulation in a sexually dimorphic motor nucleus of the rat spinal cord. Science 210: 564–566. , .
- 1991. Central course of digital axons within the medial nerve of macaca mulatta. J Comp Neurol 311: 197–209 .
- 2000. Nucleus Ambiguus projections to cardiac ganglia of rat atria: an anterograde tracing study. J Comp Neurol 424: 588–606. , .
- 1991. Pudendal motor and premotor neurons in the male rat: a WGA transneuronal study. J Comp Neurol 308: 28–41. , , .
- 1996. Stress urinary incontinence: where are we now, where should we go? Am J Obstet Gynecol 175: 311–319. .
- 1995. Direct projections from the dorsolateral pontine tegmentum to pudendal motoneurons innervating the external urethral sphincter muscle in the rat. J Comp Neurol 357: 318–330. , , , .
- 1989. Age changes in axon number along the cervical ventral spinal nerve roots in rats. J Comp Neurol 280: 171–182. , .
- 1997. Motoneuronal location of the external urethral and anal sphincters: a single and double labeling study in the male and female golden hamster. Neurosci Lett 226: 191–194. , , .
- 1992. Timing and duration of dihydrotestosterone treatment affect the development of motoneuron number and morphology in a sexually dimorphic rat spinal nucleus. J Comp Neurol 326: 147–157. , .
- 1972. Retardation of development and involution of the pudendal nerve in female rat. J Ultrastruct Res 38: 302–317. , .
- 1998. Pudendal denervation affects the structure and function of the striated, urethral sphincter in female rats. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 9: 88–93. , , , .
- 1984. Nucleus ambiguous motoneurons innervating the canine intrinsic laryngeal muscles by fluorescent labeling technique. Exp Neurol 84: 441–449. , , , , .
- 1982. An analysis of the axon populations in the nerves to the pelvic viscera in the rat. J Comp Neurol 211: 1–10. , .
- 1982. Fluorescent compounds as retrograde tracers compared with horseradish peroxidase (HRP). II. A parametric study in the peripheral motor system of the cat. J Neurosci Meth 6: 199–218. , , , .
- 1980. Internal topography of major nerves of the forearm and hand: a current view. J Hand Surg 5: 1–18. , , .
- 1988. Clinical significance of sacral and pudendal nerve anatomy. J Urol 139: 74–80. , , , .
- 2000. Motor pudendal nerve characterization in the female rat. Soc Neurosci Abstr 26: 1679. , , , .
- 1986. Composition and central projections of the pudendal nerve in the rat investigated by combined peptide immunocytochemistry and retrograde fluorescent labeling. Brain Res 372: 313–322. , , , .
- 1983. Diamidino yellow dihydrochloride (DY × 2HCl); a new fluorescent retrograde neuronal tracer, which migrates only very slowly out of the cell. Exp Brain Res 51: 179–191. , , , .
- 1980. Postnatal differentiation of the rat trochlear nerve. J Comp Neurol 189: 291–306. .
- 2000. Effects of pudendal nerve injury in the female rat. Neurourol Urodyn 19: 53–69. , , , , , , .
- 1974. Ultrastructure of a large ventrolateral dendritic bundle in the rat ventral horn. J Neurocytol 3: 533–555. , .
- 1994. Motor neurons in Onuf's nucleus and its rat homologues express the p75 nerve growth factor: sexual dimorphism and regulation by axotomy. J Comp Neurol 345: 510–527. , , .
- 1980. Double retrograde neuronal labeling through divergent axon collaterals, using two fluorescent tracers with the same excitation wavelength that label different features of the cell. Exp Brain Res 40: 383–392. , , , .
- 1980. Topographical localization of the Onuf's nuclear neurons innervating the rectal and vesical striated sphincter muscles: a retrograde fluorescent double labeling in the cat and dog. Neurosci Lett 16: 125–130. , , .
- 1981. Branching of sensory axons in the peripheral nerve of the rat. J Comp Neurol 203: 745–750. , .
- 1951. The branching of nerve fibers in human cutaneous nerves. J Comp Neurol 94: 293–310. , , .
- 1998. Effect of simulated birth trauma on the urinary continence mechanism in the rat. Urology 52: 143–151. , , , .
- 1997. Identification of central nervous system neurons that innervate the bladder body, bladder base, or external urethral sphincter of female rats: a transneuronal tracing study using pseudorabies virus. J Comp Neurol 389: 584–602. .
- 1986. The organization of the pudendal nerve in the male and female rat. J Comp Neurol 248: 532–549. , .
- 1998. The effects of birth on urinary continence mechanisms and other pelvic-floor characteristics. Obstet Gynecol 92: 613–618. , , , .
- 1996. Sex differences in sensory and motor branches of the pudendal nerve of the rat. Horm Behav 30: 590–599. , .
- 1993. B-50 (GAP-43) in Onuf's nucleus of the adult cat. Brain Res 613: 80–87. , , , , , , , , .
- 1901. On the arrangement and function of the cell groups of the sacral region of the spinal cord in man. Arch Neurol Psychoneurol 3: 387–412. .
- 1997. Electrophysiological evidence for the nomenclature of the pudendal nerve and sacral plexus in the male rat. Brain Res 763: 202–208. , , , , , .
- 1989. Somato-motor components of the pelvic and pudendal nerves of the female rat. Brain Res 490: 85–94. , , , , .
- 1985. The localization of axon branchings in two muscle nerves of the rat. A contribution to motor unit topography. Anat Embryol 172: 177–182. , .
- 1982. Dichotomizing peripheral fibers revealed by intracellular recording from rat sensory neurons. Neurosci Lett 31: 123–128. , , , .
- 1997. Morphological and morphometric characterization of Onuf's nucleus in the spinal cord in man. J Anat 191: 201–213. , , .
- 1996. Afferent and efferent branching axons from the rat lumbo-sacral spinal cord project both to the urinary bladder and the urethra as demonstrated by double retrograde neuronal labeling. Neurosci Lett 219: 155–158. , .
- 1995. Multiple vaginal deliveries increase the risk of permanent incontinence of flatus and urine in normal premenopausal women. Dis Colon Rectum 38: 1206–1209. , , .
- 2000. Neuroregeneration and voiding behavior patterns after pudendal nerve crush in female rats. Neurourol Urodyn 19: 311–321. , , , , .
- 1980. Organization of the motoneurons innervating the pelvic muscles of the male rat. J Comp Neurol 192: 567–587. .
- 1981. Onuf's nucleus X: a morphological study of a human spinal nucleus. Anat Embryol 162: 443–453 .
- 1994. Role of connective tissue and muscle in pelvic floor dysfunction. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 6: 317–319 .
- 1984. Damage to the innervation of the voluntary anal and periurethral sphincter musculature in incontinence: an electrophysiological study. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 47: 1269–1273. , , .
- 1985. Fecal incontinence due to external anal sphincter division in childbirth is associated with damage to the innervation of the pelvic floor musculature: a double pathology. Br J Obstet Gynecol 92: 824–828. , , .
- 1968. Nerve and nerve injuries, 1st ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins Company. p 2–61 .
- 1953. The branching of nerve fibers. Acta Anat 17: 46–61. , .
- 1982. Urinary striated sphincter: what is its nerve supply? Urology 20: 415–417. , , .
- 1982. Double fluorescence labeling supports electrophysiological evidence for dichotomizing peripheral sensory nerve fibers in rats. Neurosci Lett 33: 1–6. , .
- 1987. Central distribution of efferent and afferent components of the pudendal nerve in rat. Anat Embryol 177: 37–49. , , .
- 1989. Electrophysiological evidence for axonal branching of ambiguous laryngeal motoneurons. Brain Res 478: 309–314. , .
- 1994. The detailed neuroanatomy of the human striated urethral sphincter. Br J Urol 74: 182–187. , , , .